Vote on what we should fix next

Discuss technical problems and features here

What should our highest priorities be for improving the forum software?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:46 am

A new look and feel, including better typography and possibly per-user overrides
18%
More language packs!
9%
Resizing images
8%
Active topics grouped by forum
20%
Links and/or user-chosen flag emoticons in language profiles
6%
More media embedding choices
6%
A longer "About me" section on user profiles
6%
A rich text editor so people don't have to type BBCode
17%
Support for entering hieroglyphics using Manuel de Codage conventions (Just kidding! Well, mostly.)
4%
Something else (Please describe below.)
6%

Total votes: 173

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Vote on what we should fix next

Postby emk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:08 am

zenmonkey wrote:2) a RTL block implementation.

Wait, look, what's that over there? →

zenmonkey wrote:I might be able to volunteer a little time in the future for specific projects...

The more the merrier. :-)
1 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Oh, OK, so I maybe I was only mostly joking about hieroglyphs

Postby emk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:51 am

OK, I love you folks. Six people have voted for hieroglyphic support.

So I hereby present you with:

r:1-n-km-m-t:O49
r n(y) km.t
"The language of Egypt"

nTr-md
mdw-nTr
"The divine speech"

To learn the codes, see any introduction to the Manuel de Codage. And then write something like:

Code: Select all

[mdc]r:1-n-km-m-t:O49[/mdc]

The text is rendered by a hacked-up copy of the excellent JSesh and some custom Java servlet code. Please do not post hundreds of hieroglyphs in the same thread; that will overload the hieroglyph server and make it emit smoke.

Anyway, I think this gives us certain bragging rights as a language forum: I'm aware of several specialized Egyptology forums, and none of ones I've seen can do this. We have features for the discerning language lover! We'll show you the forum UI in Finnish, we support right-to-left text, we're running Unilang's excellent IPA keyboard, and now we have built-in hieroglyph rendering. I'm not sure if any of this is reasonable, but it's certainly fun. :-)
7 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

another bunch of suggestions

Postby Via Diva » Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:07 am

There could be indeed a small “corrections welcome“ somewhere around the message, maybe in the area where the date stands, or somewhere around the signature (but not in the signature. Would also be great if there was a switch like “Would you want to receive corrections for this post?“. And it's insanely awesome if a system like that of lang-8 applied, whereas the posts with corrections are shown under the corrected post like a clickable line (I believe the bbcode for that is spoiler).
(Sadly I'm just a student of chemical engineering and can't write any sort of code. But I can draw what it looks like, if I am not expressing myself clearly enough here)
Also we can create groups/ titles. I think groups are an excellent way to promote TAC and create a feeling of belonging - it's hard to forget about your team if you see a constant reminder next to your every message. Quite a few people participate in several teams - then it's either several groups (if possible), or a special group for people who participate in several teams, individually and the like. Instead of *** belt it would be great to have a field which you can fill as you'd like (I remember waiting to reach 1000 messages on a Russian sports forum in order to be able to write what I want in such a field, hehe).
P.S. The input window with we_universal seems to have just the right size, so cross that complaint out. But it's still hard to hit the icons for “first unread message“.
P.P.S. And also different fonts for messages and spoilers for long texts would be good and probably easy to organise.
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: Oh, OK, so I maybe I was only mostly joking about hieroglyphs

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:27 am

-m-

-w-

-A-

This hieroglyphics are great haha :lol:
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Re: Oh, OK, so I maybe I was only mostly joking about hieroglyphs

Postby emk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:56 am

(You had what appeared to be an accidental duplicate post, by the way, so I marked it as deleted. I hope you don't mind.)

vogeltje wrote:This hieroglyphics are great haha :lol:

Just please be sure to use them in moderation. :-) It's a very tiny server that generates those images, and it can't keep up with lots of posts containing lots of "mdc" tags.

And yes, one of the more challenging things about learning Middle Egyptian is keeping all the nearly-identical-looking birds straight. It's really easy to confuse certain pairs of similar-looking signs:

A-G4-wr-G37

For example, the third bird there is read wr, and it means "large, important." (It also appears in the adjective wr.t "very".) The fourth bird is read bin, and it means "bad, evil." It's often used as a "determinative", to clarify the meaning intended by other symbols, which is necessary because Egyptian only writes the consonants. The third and the fourth bird can be written in very similar sizes, and you often need to look at the shape of the tail to tell them apart.

Obviously, mixing up any of these pairs of birds can make a text really confusing! So you learn to squint carefully. Sometimes I really want a copy of a book named something like "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Nile."
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:24 pm

<B1-B7-t*t:n>

just playing around, sorry :) along with emk's log this will probably be the thread with the most hieroglyphs :lol:
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Postby daegga » Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:28 pm

Is there a bug in the cartouche rendering? The following two sequences should be the same:
<H-T-l-A-l>
H-T-l-A-l

edit: with additional dashes it seems to work as intended
<-H-T-l-A-l->
0 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:26 pm

daegga wrote:Is there a bug in the cartouche rendering? The following two sequences should be the same:
<H-T-l-A-l>
H-T-l-A-l

You want:

<-H-T-l-A-l->

[mdc]<-H-T-l-A-l->[/mdc]

...with a extra dashes around the angle brackets. The "mdc" tag uses the same encoding conventions as JSesh, which are slightly more powerful than standard MdC.

Of course, before people get too carried away, I feel like I ought to mention that cartouches are only used for royal names in Egyptian, and not for ordinary people or for common nouns. What, me, a language pendant? ;-)

Also note that transliterating foreign words into hieroglyphs can be tricky. Unfortunately, most of the "your name in hieroglyph" sites are alarmingly bad. If you want to write your name in hieroglyphs, then you should to do it phonetically, and you should use special symbols like the lion for sounds that aren't normally used in Egyptian. (The Egyptians had a whole convention for writing foreign words phonetically!) If you want to translate a name or a foreign word, this Flash site is the best introduction I've seen to how to do it reasonably correctly. Using this site, I get the following without a cartouche:

h-t-l-A-l

[mdc]h-t-l-A-l[/mdc]

But I'm not too certain about that vowel. It's definitely a fun site, though.
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:02 pm

emk wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:2) a RTL block implementation.

Wait, look, what's that over there? →

zenmonkey wrote:I might be able to volunteer a little time in the future for specific projects...

The more the merrier. :-)

That's great, thanks!
I need to settle down a bit - get some stuff in order and I'll look into it. I've installed the Docker Toolbox at least...
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:20 pm

Absolutely love the new Egyptian hieroglyphs feature (can't wait to try it) - Daniel and all the guys from the lab thank you, monsieur! :)
1 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”