Vote on what we should fix next

Discuss technical problems and features here

What should our highest priorities be for improving the forum software?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 14, 2015 11:46 am

A new look and feel, including better typography and possibly per-user overrides
18%
More language packs!
9%
Resizing images
8%
Active topics grouped by forum
20%
Links and/or user-chosen flag emoticons in language profiles
6%
More media embedding choices
6%
A longer "About me" section on user profiles
6%
A rich text editor so people don't have to type BBCode
17%
Support for entering hieroglyphics using Manuel de Codage conventions (Just kidding! Well, mostly.)
4%
Something else (Please describe below.)
6%

Total votes: 173

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Re: Vote on what we should fix next

Postby astromule » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:14 pm

I have voted for "rich text editor", "active topics grouped by forum" and "something else": I think it would be very useful to see the Facebookish feature "@name", "user" has mentioned you in their comment. In Argentina we'd say "Fulano" has mentioned "Mengano" in their comment (an irrelevant but perhaps colorful information).
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Re: Oh, OK, so I maybe I was only mostly joking about hieroglyphs

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:40 pm

emk wrote:(You had what appeared to be an accidental duplicate post, by the way, so I marked it as deleted. I hope you don't mind.)

Many thanks for the deleting of the duplicate one :)

emk wrote:Just please be sure to use them in moderation. :-) It's a very tiny server that generates those images, and it can't keep up with lots of posts containing lots of "mdc" tags.

Ok!! Yes, I didn't know that it's a very tiny server. First, I had all the hieroglyphic birds in my signature, but then I thoguth that it was too many :lol: One is good, I chose the little chick which is good with my nick vogeltje, which means little bird.

I had found those because I saw the wikipedia link, then on the french page it has a list, and on this is that the G numbers are the birds.

And yes, one of the more challenging things about learning Middle Egyptian is keeping all the nearly-identical-looking birds straight. It's really easy to confuse certain pairs of similar-looking signs:

A-G4-wr-G37

For example, the third bird there is read wr, and it means "large, important." (It also appears in the adjective wr.t "very".) The fourth bird is read bin, and it means "bad, evil." It's often used as a "determinative", to clarify the meaning intended by other symbols, which is necessary because Egyptian only writes the consonants. The third and the fourth bird can be written in very similar sizes, and you often need to look at the shape of the tail to tell them apart.

Obviously, mixing up any of these pairs of birds can make a text really confusing! So you learn to squint carefully. Sometimes I really want a copy of a book named something like "A Birdwatcher's Guide to the Nile."

Wow, yes, it's very confusing!!!!

The poor little bird who is the "bad, evil" meaning. :( They are very nice birds pictures :)

This is so great, now I want to learn the Egyptian hieroglyphs and the book would be very good also.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:28 am

Sometimes I am in the middle of writing a message and then I discover something that should be researched first. Or I simply write along and take my time to do so, and when I'm ready to post I'm asked to log in again - and a couple of times I have lost a fair amount of text in this way. Couldn't the deadline be set to at least an hour or so?
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:11 pm

I get logged out occasionally but never while writing posts. It will just show me the new posts I've missed.
Lazarus add-on restores the text you lose btw ;) Available for other browsers too.
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

arthaey
Brown Belt
Languages: :
EN (native);
ES (adv receptive, int productive);
FR (false beginner);
DE (lapsed beg);
ASL (lapsed beg);
HU (tourist)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3864&view=unread#unread

Postby arthaey » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:50 pm

My "other" vote is for multi-language support within posts, the discussion and demo here. (I also volunteer to program the thing. :))
1 x
Posts in: FrenchGermanHungarianSpanish
NaNoWriMo: 10,000 words
Corrections welcome in any language; I prefer an informal register.

AlexTG
Green Belt
Languages: Easy to Read: English(N), French, Spanish
Able to Read: German, Latin
Learning to Read: Japanese, Hindi/Urdu

Postby AlexTG » Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:04 pm

arthaey wrote:My "other" vote is for multi-language support within posts, the discussion and demo here. (I also volunteer to program the thing. :))

Yeah I've been thinking of working on that, just need to get docker-compose working on my windows pc.

I think what we'd want is a translation bbcode [translation=language]translated content goes here[/translate] which would work essentially like a [spoiler] tag.And a button to add such bbcode with a machine translation. So you highlight the text you want, select the to/from language and hit a button and it adds the machine translation in a [translation] tag, then the user can edit it and fix any outrageous errors.
2 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:03 am

The styles that I liked the best are :
Serenity
Basic
Prosilver
Hestia

I like styles that are simple, clean and blue. I don't like dark colors, reds and black. And quite frankly the style currently being used is fine by me.

All the best,
Tom

edit : August 8, 2015
I just saw in the User Control Panel | Board Preferences that you can choose your board style. I will most likely keep it set to prosilver. I don't know how difficult, or how much resources are needed for the administrators to add new style options.
Last edited by tomgosse on Wed Aug 26, 2015 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Bjorn
White Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)

Postby Bjorn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:17 am

I voted something else: Mark all forums as read
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:42 am

That function is already available - on the start page in the right-hand corner, just below the link to your profile:
Mark forums read
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Bjorn
White Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)

Postby Bjorn » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:29 pm