Styles! Help us find some new looks to try

Discuss technical problems and features here
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Styles! Help us find some new looks to try

Postby zenmonkey » Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:36 pm

I really like the universal, works very nicely.
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:47 pm

I like the polls much more in this style than the default :)

Also, ironically the biggest problem seems to be that the software is too new, unlike the old HTLAL where it was too old :lol:

edit: the hearts extension gets a bit messed up. the font is ugly (at least for zero), and the picture is apparently a background so it starts to repeat.

Is this extension still experimental?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:21 am

I also like we_universal, However, it appears that the text is not pure black, which gives it a bit of a washed-out look compared with pure black on pure white.

The feature (in most styles/themes) whereby every second post has a slightly shaded background colour also seems to reduce the crispness and the clarity. I personally find it distracting, and it doesn't really serve to clearly show the boundaries of each post, especially when there are embedded quotes.

So my personal preference would be for no such background, but pure black text on a pure white background. Remember, we will be reading this forum for years to come.
1 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Postby emk » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:03 am

tommus wrote:I also like we_universal, However, it appears that the text is not pure black, which gives it a bit of a washed-out look compared with pure black on pure white.

Unfortunately, re-coloring an entire website theme (and doing a good job of it) takes me many hours of work. You're welcome to try your hand at it; the source code is in the CSS files here. You could also look at the other themes we mentioned earlier and see if something else works better for you.

There's also the problem that some people find pure black on white themes to be pretty hard on the eyes, and prefer a gentler contrast. And other people need high contrast to read comfortably. If rdearman doesn't object, I'm definitely OK with the idea of having an extra theme or two available if that's what it takes to keep everybody's eyes happy.

Also, for those of you trying out the we_universal theme, you'll notice that I just replaced the stock photo of a building with a monochrome photo of hieroglyphs. This is a cropped and darkened version of this lovely Creative Commons photo by Orangeaurochs. This isn't our final photo—I'd personally love to try out interesting text in many languages and see what it looks like—but I wanted something a little more appropriate for the forum, and this was quick. And hey, it's either the oldest or the second oldest recorded language, which must count for something. :-)

If you also speak or study a pretty language, please feel free to get the nearest native speaker or advanced student (including you) to provide a short, relevant phrase. But pretty please, no grammar errors. We want to make a good impression!
1 x

Via Diva
Green Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (~C1), German (~B1)
Wanderlust/abandoned: Czech, Swedish, Italian, Modern Greek, Esperanto, French, Dutch, Finnish
Hit-list (?): Icelandic, Hungarian, Sanskrit
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=929

Postby Via Diva » Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:53 am

I am also that insane user who can use a dark style, and Black looks better than digi. But overall we_universal is the best choice, because forum looks less like "one of many".
Next step is to change smiles, because these really look plain horrible, at least to me.
2 x

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Sun Aug 16, 2015 8:53 am

The digi style doesn't work too well though: the font colour on the posts is darker than the already dark background, making it really hard to read.

EDIT: Nevermind, I should have checked that greasemonkey script that someone shared on here before I activated it. It's also to blame for my rare progress bar issue.
Last edited by steyyan on Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

NIKOLIĆ
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: Cрпски (N), English, Română.
Learning: Italiano, Magyar, 中文, Levantine Arabic, Русский.

Postby NIKOLIĆ » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:13 pm

Via Diva wrote:I am also that insane user who can use a dark style, and Black looks better than digi. But overall we_universal is the best choice, because forum looks less like "one of many".
Next step is to change smiles, because these really look plain horrible, at least to me.

I also like the dark style and I use it on a lot of forums (if available). You know what they say, once you go black...
4 x
How yes no.

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:47 pm

Another (literally) small but cool design issue is the url icon for our site (for example, at the moment I just have an empty box sitting in my bookmarks toolbar, and a snapshot icon on my phone). It would be great to have a unique and instantly recognizable logo for our new forum. What do you think, guys? :)
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Mon Aug 17, 2015 9:59 pm

Definitely needed but let's wait until the deadline? :) If we reach an agreement with FX we can use the awesome HTLAL animated icon.
1 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:50 am

0 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”