Styles! Help us find some new looks to try

Discuss technical problems and features here
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: Styles! Help us find some new looks to try

Postby emk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:13 pm

reineke wrote:Forum names should be consistently capitalized. It's a different kind of style, I know. The website has a vary "gray" look. I know it's a work in progress and a backup to the other, orange site but time is ticking by. Matching the gray look look, "A language learners' forum" name is not very catchy, to put it mildly, and the very name took some time to wrap my head around. Language Learning Forum is boring but more straightforward. Acronym: LLF? LanguageWeb? Language Garden? Open a competition for a new name and a new, recognizable color.

Thank you for your suggestions!

At this point, we're unlikely to change the color for the main site for the time being. We just changed the theme recently, after looking at most of the available phpBB 3.1 themes and receiving comments from forum members on the various options. And because theme changes are always disruptive, we're not eager to do it again soon.

However, the existing name and background header graphic were both chosen as placeholders. We had a long thread about possible forum names, and several of the most popular options had "Language Learners" somewhere in the name. We can reopen that discussion any time people want, as long as we keep "Language Learners" in the name. There's another thread somewhere with a discussion of the header graphic—we need something with the same size and approximately the same colors, but we can definitely talk about changing the header graphic.
1 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:26 pm

Thanks for the reply. I see you're linking to the old website.

Where is this new forum hosted? Is it dependent on a single person? What's happening with the old place? Is FX alive and well? The technical difficulties were a drag for a while with the old site. The site was slow to the point of becoming unusable and it crashed several times. I was unable to log back on after I changed my password. I presume that only FX has the sufficient level of administrative privilege to fix/bring the site back up.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Jan 08, 2016 9:56 pm

You can try accessing your old account now, but I think it will be a disappointment. The activity level hasn't been as low since 2005 where HTLAL started up. FX did do some work on the site in the autumn, but he hasn't contacted the moderators for a long time, and we don't know what plans he has got.

And I still can't stand the uniform dark grey layout here - but luckily the blue look is still available.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Fri Jan 08, 2016 10:32 pm

---
Last edited by reineke on Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:35 pm

Iversen wrote:FX did do some work on the site in the autumn,
Do you mean in summer? He's not logged in since the July crisis.
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:43 pm

reineke wrote:Where is this new forum hosted? Is it dependent on a single person?
rdearman and emk are taking care of the technical part (both have actual admin rights, meaning they have full control and can appoint more admins/mods as needed). We're definitely doing our best to distribute responsibility. There's been talk about setting up a non-profit.
The HTLAL discussion subforum is where you can read the previous threads about this kind of thing.
1 x
Corrections welcome

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:22 am

Serpent wrote:
Iversen wrote:FX did do some work on the site in the autumn,
Do you mean in summer? He's not logged in since the July crisis.

He has moved the site to another server not long ago, and in the autumn he closed down the forum for a couple of weeks - in both cases without logging in (at least not in a way that can be seen, even by moderators). I don't remember the details any longer, but in at least one of these cases you saw a message in English and French if you tried to log in - and this language combination is a clear sign that FX was personally involved. But he has apparently taken a conscious decision not to communicate directly with anyone from the forum.
1 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:28 am

The downtime with an English/French maintenance message was in March. That's when we found out the domain was going to expire.
To the best of my knowledge, FX hasn't done anything since renewing the domain.
If you remember any major outage that isn't listed here, feel free to edit the page. I might have missed something but as far as I can tell HTLAL has actually worked okay since late August. Though it would become horribly slow immediately if we all logged in.
3 x
Corrections welcome

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”