For developers: Forum source code on GitHub

Discuss technical problems and features here
emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2+)
Badly neglected "just for fun" languages: Middle Egyptian, Spanish.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=723

Re: For developers: Forum source code on GitHub

Postby emk » Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:21 pm

zenmonkey wrote:And we had a great conversation - all in French. At this time, if you are on a Mac - don't install this, give emk a few days to get this ironed out.

Thank you for your debugging help, and for putting up with my technical French. :-)

So, what we learned is that:

1. Docker volumes are much more limited under non-Linux host systems than they are under Linux ones. Most of the problems involve very limited support for file permissions.
  2. phpBB has really fragile file permission handling, and it gets confused easily.
  3. The solution probably involves using 'volumes_from' and a custom startup script that fixes all the file permissions for PHP's locally writable directories.
We did get the database working pretty easily.

Thank you to all the brave Mac-based developers who found these problems, and to zenmonkey for helping reproduce them where I could understand them. I'll work on a new version of the Docker development setup for people who want to contribute to the site!
3 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 2:59 am

OK, knock on wood, but it appears to have been easier than I hoped to work around the broken docker volume permissions on the Mac. If one brave Mac developer wants to try again, please make sure that you delete all existing containers related to this project first:

Code: Select all

docker rm -fv phpbb_site_1 pbpbb_db_1

Then see the current version of the setup instructions for advice on how to get started. If somebody gets this to work on the Mac, please let the rest of us know. :-)
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:26 am

PERFECT!!!

emk wrote:OK, knock on wood, but it appears to have been easier than I hoped to work around the broken docker volume permissions on the Mac. If one brave Mac developer wants to try again, please make sure that you delete all existing containers related to this project first:

docker rm -fv phpbb_site_1 pbpbb_db_1

Then see the current version of the setup instructions for advice on how to get started. If somebody gets this to work on the Mac, please let the rest of us know. :-)

Can you add to the instructions:
1) If the above command fails to remove a container, use Kitematic to delete the container
2) before the Docker commands, For Mac, launch Docker via the Launchpad QuickStart Terminal then, in this new window navigate to phpbb.
3) As you install, when you get to the Advanced setting page, disable email.

Following the instructions, I have now a phpBB board running! :ugeek:
Thanks, emk.
Last edited by zenmonkey on Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
1 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:12 am

So playing around, I noticed that we do not have the BBCodes (and likely other db based changes) from the site. How would you like to manage recommendations/changes in this area?

For example, I had planned a quick fork to correct a minor issue with [ rtl ] to get rid of that extra line after an rtl text:

This is a sentence before.
this is rtl

This is a sentence after.

Is this something only the admin will do?
0 x

emk
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby emk » Thu Aug 20, 2015 11:07 am

Thank you so much for verifying that this works!

zenmonkey wrote:So playing around, I noticed that we do not have the BBCodes (and likely other db based changes) from the site. How would you like to manage recommendations/changes in this area?

For BBCodes, apparently it's traditional to just post them on the forum in three 'code' blocks like this:

[rtl]{TEXT}[/rtl]

<div dir="rtl">{TEXT}</div>

[rtl]Arabic or Hebrew text[/rtl]

Feel free to ask for us to post any of the BBCodes we're using (if you can't just guess them from the page source), and then just re-post the corrections. Either rdearman or I will add them using the main admin interface.

zenmonkey wrote:For example, I had planned a quick fork to correct a minor issue with [ rtl ] to get rid of that extra line after an rtl text:

As far as I can tell, this is a really weird feature of BBCode. :-( All the standard "block" tags work this way, including 'quote', 'list', 'attachment', 'code', and a bunch of others. So we have two choices: Either we can leave 'rtl' broken in a way that matches all the other "block" tags, or we can fix just 'rtl', making it "correct" but inconsistently so. Since you're the main user of 'rtl' right now (I think), it's your choice.

Anyway, thank you very much for helping out with the site code! If anybody wants to send a pull request, please also feel welcome to mention it here on the forum. (And if it's something that would require a lot of work, or which would significantly change the feel of the forum, then please discuss it here first to make sure there's enthusiasm for the idea.)
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:00 pm

First pull request posted. :o :? :shock:

-- careful - the README file should not be merged, it is specific to the fork.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:16 pm

Re-did the pull request. Honestly no idea what happened with the pull that somehow got the upstream.
Let's say I'm a git hub novice, probably pulled the master and not the custom.
1 x

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:23 pm

Just a quick note to say I am up and running now as well. BTW http://localhost:8000 does not work for me, I had to use the IP directly which can be found by running:

docker-machine ls
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:08 pm

neofight78 wrote:Just a quick note to say I am up and running now as well. BTW http://localhost:8000 does not work for me, I had to use the IP directly which can be found by running:

docker-machine ls

Thats great! Before starting development make sure you check out any forks off the main.
Here is mine: https://github.com/language-learners/phpbb/pull/2
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:25 am

I also recommend installing GitHub Desktop if you are on the Mac. It makes seeing branches, etc a bit easier.

I've created a pull for German, Italian, Hebrew packs and Advanced BBCode. I'll stop for now and await the merge and install to assure I'm doing things "as should be".
0 x

Return to “Technical Support and Feature Requests”