Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
StringerBell
Brown Belt
Languages: English (n)
Italian

Polski & Italiano (+ Latin) Episode II: StringerBell Strikes Back

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Link to my previous log: Italian + Polish with comprehensive input

RESOURCES LIST FOR ITALIAN. (Resoures for Polish are in the next post.) These are resources that I have used myself (unless otherwise noted).

YOUTUBE CHANNELS / VIDEOS:

Italy Made Easy There is a wealth of useful videos for beginner and intermediate learners. I used this site a lot early on.

Italiano Automatico Alberto created 300+ videos that are duel subtitled in English and Italian. I used these videos intensively; they are really worth their weight in gold. This is my favorite YT channel for learning Italian.

Podcast Italiano Davide has spent a lot of time producing really top notch podcasts and is now starting to create more videos.

STREAM ITALIAN TV SHOWS:
it.dplay.com This site is geoblocked, so you will need to magically move your computer to Italy (or use a VPN) while watching ;)

PODCASTS:

Podcast Italiano: Free episodes available through iTunes, Spotify, and his website. He has a range of episodes for complete beginners, intermediate, and advance Italian learners. The beginner and intermediate episodes have transcripts available on his website. I've listened to all of the advanced episodes and they are fantastic; this is my favorite podcast series for learning Italian.

Italiano Automatico: Free episodes available through iTunes and Spotify. His episodes don't have transcripts, but if you've already spent a lot of time with his subtitled videos, then the podcast episodes will likely be very comprehensible. He releases a new episode every Monday (there are several years' worth at this point). I found these to be very useful to improve my listening comprehension.

Veleno Podcast Serial This is 7 episodes produced by an Italian journalist who investigated in depth a true event that happened 20 years ago involving mass hysteria over satanism and child abuse. It consists of narration and interviews with the people involved. It is really intense and very gripping. There is a full transcript for all 7 episodes available on the website. This is more suitable for those with an upper intermediate level.

Equilibrio Digitale This podcast series contains only 4 episodes, which is a shame because it's great. The narrator speaks very clearly. The topic is about problems with living in a digital age and how to counteract issues like being addicted to a smartphone. There's no transcript. It's free to listen to through this website, or to download through iTunes.

PianoP this is a platform where journalists share podcasts they've created. It's where I found Equilibrio Digitale, which I really liked.

Storia in CucinaThis is a 20 episode series about the history of food. Also available through iTunes.

Alle Otto Della Sera this is the platform where you can find lots and lots of podcast series.

Dylan Dog These podcasts are based on a very popular supernatural/noir graphic novel series. There are a bunch of podcast episodes available to download for free.

AUDIOBOOKS:

Audible: Last year there was very little in the way of Italian audiobooks, but their catalogue seems to be growing at a steady pace.

emons I haven't yet ordered from emons, but they seem to have a decent catalogue of audiobooks

LibriVox Free audiobooks for public domain titles

PAID PROGRAMS:

Italiano Automatico > Conquista Italiano and Conversazioni Reali in Italiano I've seen samples and it looks extremely well-thought out. Alberto hired a professional voice actor to do much of the recordings. Everything is text + audio, and there are various options for audio (normal speed/slower, different speakers with different accents).

Italy Made Easy in addition to the ton of high-quality free resources Manu offers, he has some paid courses (I haven't used them myself, but they look pretty good). He offers: (From Zero to Italian) Beginner Italian 1 & 2, Intermediate Italian 1, Speak from Day 1.

FREE PROGRAMS / COURSES / COURSEBOOKS:

L'Italiano Secondo Il Metodo Naturale This is a free graded reader series for beginners. All of the stories follow one family. There are English notes in the margins with vocabulary or grammar points. This is a really excellent resource, I highly recommend it.

FSI Italian Fast Course Volume 1

FSI Italian Fast Course Volume 2

edX.org edX.org offers several online Italian language courses throughout the year. It's free and there's no commitment to sign up for a course - you can do as much or as little of it as you want. I did one course and was really impressed with how good it was. These courses typically are the same as those offered at ivy-league colleges. This is an amazing free resource to take advantage of.

GRAMMAR-BASED COURSEBOOKS:

Practice Makes Perfect - Complete Italian Grammar This is the grammar book I am currently using (I found a used copy that was like-new for less than $15). So far I'm happy with it.

BLOGS / ARTICLES:

Efficacemente This website contains 400+ well-written articles on the topic of personal growth (search the archive). I have read almost all of them; I find them to be ideal for an intermediate/advanced Italian learner because they are written in an informative way combining colloquial language with some higher level/less frequent vocabulary.

Erika Porreca's Blog This is Erika from Podcast Italiano writing about social anxiety.

Focus Italia Articles on Science, Nature, Environment, Culture, Behavior, Technology.

wikihow.it Read how-to articles in Italian about anything....Examples of things I've read about are: How to train a dog, How to survive in the woods, How to get rid of a wasps' nest.

National Geographic Italia

Wired.it Italian version of Wired

WEBSITES OFFERING HELP/LESSONS/TIPS/EXPLANATIONS:

Italy Made Easy There is a treasure trove of free resources on the Italy Made Easy website.

Iceberg Project I really like this site, the articles are interesting and useful.

FluentU Prepositions Very useful!

ThoughtCo. Verb + Prepositions cominations This is very useful! I refer to it a lot

When to use Congiuntivo

Speak Italian Lessons for A1, A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 levels

ielanguages A handy site to refer to. Scroll down to choose: Italian I, II, III, IV, V, VI

PARALLEL TEXTS:

50 Languages

Il Piccolo Principe free Italian translation of the Little Prince

TEST PRACTICE / SELF-EVALUATION:

Practice CILS exams

Italian Level Test Cactus Language online grammar evaluation

BOOKS THAT DON'T USE PASSATO REMOTO IN THE NARRATION:
As you may know, Italian novels typically use the verb tense passato remoto in the narration. I, personally, hate this, because the reason that I read in Italian is to reinforce when to use proper verb tenses, so seeing passato remoto in every sentence is not only irritating but counterproductive, because this is not how one would speak. If this verb tense is something you'd like to avoid, you can do so by reading books that are non-fiction (for example: self-help) though watch out for history books, which may use passato remoto, albeit for a different reason. However, since there isn't such a category as "non-fiction" in Italian, you will have to choose categories like "psychology" or "self-improvement" or "health". Other books to seek out are those written diary or journal style, those written using present-tense narration, or collections of essays. Dialogue won't have passato remoto (unless the person is recounting something that happened a long time ago) so anything heavy on dialogue (like graphic novels or interviews) should also be good.

Without further ado, here is a list of books I've compiled that do not use passato remoto in the narration. I'm not claiming that any of them are particularly good, just that they fulfill my requirement of containing verb tenses that correspond with spoken Italian.:

Young Adult:
-The Diary of a Wimpy Kid series (Diario di una Schiappa) by Jeff Kinney (YA)
-Mary's Monster: Love, Madness, and How Mary Shelley Created Frankenstein (Mary e il Mostro. Amore e ribellione. Come Mary Shelley creò Frankenstein) by Lita Judge (YA)
-The Perks of Being a Wallflower (Noi Siamo Infinito) by Stephen Chbosky (YA)
-The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian (Diario Assolutamente Sincero di un Indiano Part-Time) by Sherman Alexei (YA)
-The Book Thief (Storia di una Ladra di Libri) by Markus Zusak (YA)
-The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (Lo Strano Caso del Cane Ucciso a Mezzanotte) by Mark Haddon (YA)
-Looking for Alaska (Cercando Alaska) by John Green (YA)
-Everyday (Ogni Giorno) by David Leviathan (YA)
-The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton

-Il Colpo Degli Uomini d’Oro by Bruno Gamarotta
-The Neon Bible (La Bibbia al Neon) by John Kennedy Toole
-I Am Watching You (Ti Sto Guardando) by Teresa Driscoll
-An Unwanted Guest (L’ospite Indesiderato) by Shari Lapena
-The Handmaid’s Tale (Il racconto dell’Ancella) by Margaret Atwood
-Alias Grace (L'altra Grace) by Margaret Atwood
-Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close (Molto Forte, Incredibilmente Vicino)
-Ciao, America! (Un Italiano in America) by Beppe Severgnini
-Eleanor Oliphant is Totally Fine (Eleanor Oliphant Sta Benissimo) by Gail Honeyman
-The Dinner (La Cena) by Herman Koch
-Our Endless Numbered Days (I nostri giorni infiniti) by Claire Fuller
-Where’d You Go, Bernadette? (Che fine ha fatto Bernadette?) By Maria Semple
-Nutshell (In Guscio) by Ian McEwan
-Rough Trade (Il Sentiero della Speranza) by Dominique Manotti - translated from French
-Dolores Claiborne by Stephen King
-Il Cigno Nero (Black Swan) by Nassim Nicholas Taleb
-Chocolat by Joanne Harris
-Come Viaggiare con un Salmone by Umberto Eco (collection of essays)
-Think and Grow Rich (Pensa e Arricchisci te Stesso) by Napolean Hill
-7 Strategies of Highly Effective People (Le 7 Regole per Avere Successo) by Stephen Covey
-How to Win Friends and Influence People (Come Trattare gli Altri e Farseli Amici) by Dale Carnegie
-Me Talk Pretty One Day (Me Parlare Bello un Giorno) and other books by David Sedaris
-Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov
-The Three Sisters (Le Tre Bambine) by Jane Corry
-My Husband's Wife (La Nuova Moglie) by Jane Corry
-Il Diario di Anne Frank
-America Lost (America Perduta) by Bill Bryson
-The Girl on the Train (La Ragazza Del Treno) by Paula Hawkins
-Behind Closed Doors (La Coppia Perfetta) by B.A. Paris
-Rising Strong (La Forza Della Fragilità) by Brene Brow
-Gone Girl (L'amore Bugiardo) by Gillian Flynn
-One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Qualcuno volò sul nido del cuculo) by Ken Kesey
-Flowers for Algernon (Fiori per Algernon) by Daniel Keyes
-Myra Breckinridge by Gore Vidal
-The Lacuna (Il Mondo Altrove) by Barbara Kingsolver
-A Supposedly Fun Thing I'll Never Do Again (Una cosa divertente che non farò mai più) by David Foster Wallace (and other books of his)
-Blink (In un Batter di Ciglia) by Malcolm Gladwell
-David and Goliath (Davide e Gollia) by Malcolm Gladwell

PUBLIC DOMAIN:
-Il Giornalino di Gian Burrasca by Vamba (aka Luigi Bertelli)
-Il Diario de Eva by Mark Twain
-La Carta da Parato Gialla / La Tappezzeria Gialla (I've seen both translations of the title The Yellow Wallpaper) by Charlotte Perkins Gilman
-Il diario d'un pellegrinaggio by J. K. Jerome
Last edited by StringerBell on Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 36 times in total.
10 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Re: 2019 Polish: Jeśli istnieje wola wtedy istnieje sposób.

Postby StringerBell » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:33 pm

All the Polish Resources You Could Ever Need

After going through all my bookmarked sites I decided to create a comprehensive list of resources for learning Polish. The vast majority of these resources I have used / currently use myself. A few I've checked out and made a mental note to return to later. I'll continue to update this list as I get new suggestions or stumble upon things that are useful. If something is "by natives for natives" which means it's native material for intermediate/advanced learners, I indicated it with: BNFN

Total Beginner:

100 Daily Polish Stories This is what I used when I started learning Polish from zero. There are 100 graded “stories” with Polish text and an English glossary to the left that you can read while listening to the audio. Each “story” is told from two points of view and there is a series of questions and answers after each story.

LingQ has beginner and intermediate material (Polish text + audio).

Where to find podcasts with TRANSCRIPTS (in addition to those at RealPolish/LingQ):

Polish with John He produces podcasts with transcripts in multiple languages. In Polish, there are currently 30+. There are two levels: A2/B1 and B2/C1. After listening/reading to two, I signed up to support him on Patreon. This is a fantastic resource for Polish (and other) language learners.

Courses / Coursebooks:

My absolutely favorite Polish course book from Preston Publishing It's an ebook with instant digital download and mp3 files. I started using this course book in year 2 after 1100+ of comprehensible input. I can't say enough good things about this course, it's really well done. The notes in the margin are really useful.

Beginning Polish Volume 1 by Alexander M. Schenker I found a used copy for less than $10 on Amazon. Yale University makes available the audio for free on their site (the one I linked). I've heard good things about this book, but I haven't started using it yet. As far as I can tell, Volume 1 and Volume 2 seem to be identical, so I don't think it makes sense to buy both.

First Year Polish and Intermediate Polish both by Oscar E. Swan. I have not used either of these, myself, though I plan to in the future.

Polish Tutor: Grammar and Vocabulary Workbook The first few chapters were really good, but they way they teach verb families is a total mess. Once the book started really going downhill, I stopped using it, but I may revisit it to see if any of the later chapters are useful. As of now, I don't recommend it.

Assimil Polish As of now, Assimil is only offered with a base in either French, German, or Italian.

Hurra! Po Polsku and Polski, Krok Po Kroku I DON'T RECOMMEND EITHER OF THESE FOR SELF-LEARNERS. I own both; they were designed to be used in class with a teacher (which was how I used them). There are basically no explanations, nor answer keys. I took a look at them when I decided to restart Polish and they were completely unusable.

FREE Courses/Lessons:

50 Languages phrasebook audio course You can download audio that is 100% in Polish or in Polish with an English explanation of each line, which is an option that I think is pretty useful.

FSI Polish Fast course I couldn't really get past the first lesson, which was terrible. It was about introducing yourself, in the formal, to officials at the embassy. The embassy. The one place in any country where they are guaranteed to speak English and/or whatever your native language is. The lesson felt useless and drier than toast. Maybe I'll try going back to it in the future to see if I can find any lessons buried deeper that are actually useful to me.

DLI - Polish Language Course - Proficiency Improvement This course uses native materials (rather than artificially created material for the purpose of learning the language).

DLI Polish Language Course I took a look at this course after I was already at an intermediate level of Polish, so I was already too advanced to use it, myself. As a beginner resource it's not bad; the whole thing is various "graded reader" stories with a list of vocabulary at the end of each story. It's from 1979, so the stories are really dated (a character decides to rent a furnished apartment for 50 złoty/month, or about $13/month). I think it's a decent resource to start with early on.

DLI Polish Language Course - Refresher Course

Polish Language Website

Advanced Beginer/Low Intermediate:

365 Daily Polish Listening Program This is what I used after finishing the 100 DPS. There are 365 podcasts (audio) ~5 minutes long and a Polish transcript. There is no English translation, but I used the Polish text to create a parallel text for each file because I like that format.

Parallel Texts:

Online: Storybooks Canada This site has a series of children's stories with pictures that are told sentence by sentence. You can toggle between Polish / English if you don't understand a sentence. (Other languages also available.)

Online: Free Parallel Texts in 50 Languages

Boxer and Brandon Recently several bilingual Polish/English parallel children's books and graded readers have been added to Amazon. This is one that I read and liked.

Short Stories:

Horror Stories written in Polish BNFN

Websites / Blogs / Articles:

National Geographic Polska BNFN

globalvoices.org BNFN International news articles in many languages (including Polish)

Everything you ever wanted to read about training or taking care of dogs BNFN

Really awesome travel blog by a Polish guy who writes in BOTH Polish and English. BNFN

Vice Polska: current articles written by younger folk with very current language BNFN

Culture.pl BNFN

Travel Blog/Articles BNFN

Travel Blog about a Polish couple who travel around the world in a van BNFN

Travel Blog written by a Polish couple who live in Australia BNFN

YT channels:

Super Easy Polish These videos are mainly filmed with the folks who produce Easy Polish videos; they try to talk much slower and use simpler language. There are duel subtitles in Polish / English.

Peppa Pig aka Świnka Peppa Children’s cartoon show with very simple language in Polish.

Uczmy Się Polskiego ("Let's Learn Polish") This is a TV series created by Polska Fundacja Upowszechniana Nauki (Polish Foundation for Science Advancement) and Telewizja Polska SA (Polish State Television) to help people learn how to speak Polish. I watched the first episode but didn't watch past that because it felt a little too artificial and corny. But the actors do speak simply and slowly.

Easy Polish Street interviews conducted with random people around Poland on different topics. People speak at normal pace and there are duel subtitles in Polish / English.

Nieprzeciętne Życie This channel has ~5 minute videos on a range of topics including book summaries or general concepts like “Lies about Sleep”. The narrator speaks at normal pace but the real-time illustrations really help with comprehension. The auto-generated subtitles are quite accurate. BNFN

Madam Polyglot a Polish polyglot who has a video series in Polish about language learning. She speaks relatively slowly and clearly. BNFN

Podcasts:

-Bloggy Polish - Free to download through iTunes. Each "episode" is a few minutes long and explains some grammatical concept with lots of examples.

-Polski z Grażyna - Free to download through iTunes. Each "episode" is a few minutes long and consists of a conversation between the main character and someone else.

-RealPolish Podcasts - Free to download through iTunes. Each episode is about 30 minutes and consists of Piotr discussing different topics like why we should stop eating so much sugar or criticisms of the self-help industry. Transcripts are available if you are a member of the RealPolish VIP club, otherwise it's just audio.

Podcast series about health BNFN

Stream Polish TV shows:

Stream for free the TV sitcom Rodzinka.pl BNFN

Stream for free the TV cop show Komisarz Alex BNFN

*There are tons of shows available to stream for free through vod.tvp.pl, including kids' shows.

So far, these two Polish originals are on Netflix (BNFN), which means they have proper Polish audio and subtitles:

1) Ultraviolet
2) 1983

Where to get Ebooks/Audiobooks:

Empik.pl This is the website I frequently use to buy ebooks + audiobooks

ebookpoint.pl

UpolujEbooka

5,000+ FREE public domain ebooks and some audiobooks - everything is free to download

Public domain ebooks that are free to download LibriVox

Inexpensive ebooks + audiobooks of public domain stories

Book Suggestions:

These are all children’s chapter books / YA series, which are BNFN. I have copied most of these from various recommendations made to me throughout my previous log and have not necessarily read them myself yet. I also tried to include a brief description from the person who gave the suggestion:

- “Nowe Przygody Mikołajka” (Polish edition of Le Petit Nicholas by Goscinny and Sempé) The language is accessible and many of the stories are hilarious.

-“Dzieci z Bullerbyn” this is a translation of Astrid Lindgren’s book.

-“Jeżycjady” series by Małgorzata Musierowicz (there are 20+ books in this YA series) the last book was published last year so they are more up to date when it goes to vocab. The newest books in the series tell the stories of the grandchildren of the main characters from the first ones. To really understand all the family connections and appreciate the books in full, it’s better to start from the beginning. if you wish to read only one, you may choose one of the newer books (but not “Kalamburka")

-Books by Alfred Szklarski: “Złoto Gór Czarnych” and the series “Tomek w…” which are adventure stories similar to “W Pustyni i w Puszczy” by Sienkowicz but their language is more modern.

-Books by Jan Brzechwa: His rhymes are absolutely fantastic and the book “Akademia pana Kleksa” was an essential reading in primary school.

-“Karolcia” by Maria Krüger.

-“Hihopter” by Małgorzata Musierowicz is meant for younger readers.

-YA authors: Edmund Niziurski, Zbigniew Nienacki ("Pan Samochodzik" series), Adam Bahdaj. Their works are from the 50s-60s so some of the vocabulary is out of use now. No one will tell you that something is “morowe” but “cool, super, fajne”.

The Little Prince / Mały Książę A free version online in Polish.

Where to buy physical Polish (and many other languages) books anywhere in the world:

Book Depository I have ordered books through this site and like it very much. They don’t also have the widest selection availalble, but they ship anywhere in the world and the shipping fee is included in the price of the book.

Verb Conjugations / Dictionary (translations with sample sentences):

Choose from a list of 500 Polish Verbs with Conjugations I use this often.

Type in any verb to get conjugations I use this for less common verbs.

www.diki.pl Type in any word to get a definition with examples

Reverso Context Choose the two languages you want to translate between and type in any word to get translations with sample sentences

Grammar Explanations:

An all-around useful guide for many different aspects of Polish grammar

The best explanation of Polish Verbs of Motion I have ever seen.

Very detailed explanation of Polish imperative verbs

A really helpful explanation of how Verb Aspects work

Polish Grammar in a Nutshell This is not for the faint of heart, and if anything, I suggest only using it as a reference much later on; don't look at it if you are a beginner, it will terrify you.

Mówić po polsku

Self-Evaulation / Test Practice:

Test your writing, reading, or listening on levels A2, B1, B2, C1

Cactus Languages - Polish Grammar Level Test
Last edited by StringerBell on Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:20 pm, edited 38 times in total.
14 x
Season 4 Lucifer Italian transcripts I created: https://learnanylanguage.fandom.com/wik ... ranscripts

zjones
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B1-certified), Spanish and Greek (abandoned)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9860

Postby zjones » Wed Jan 02, 2019 11:44 pm

StringerBell wrote:*For Xmas I got my first ever pair of noise-cancelling headphones (Bose). I was always curious about them but was kind of thinking they were overpriced for what they were and since I hate spending money on things in general I never expected to own them. I have to admit that I think they are worth the money after all. The noise-cancelling feature is really impressive and the audio clarity is unbelievable. I used them while watching Netflix on my computer and I think it really made a difference in how I was able to hear the dialogue.
[/color]

I'm glad you're back and I'm excited to read your log in 2019! I wanted to comment on the Bose noise-cancelling headphones too. I got a pair for my birthday 3 years ago, and I've used them every day since. They are wonderful. The clarity is stunning, which is great for understanding TL audio. One tip I have for you is to make good use of the aux cord that comes with them. I'm not sure how long the battery lasts on your headphones, but I found myself re-charging mine every 4-5 days. In order to decrease the amount of battery cycles I was using, I plug the headphones directly into the computer if I know I'll be sitting for a long period of time and I only use Bluetooth when I'm doing chores and listening to podcasts. Now I only recharge them every 2 weeks. :D
1 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:10 pm

POLISH:

I can officially say that I did not experience any bow wave effect as a result of taking a 3 week hiatus from Polish. In fact, it feels like I got really rusty and I'm not remembering words that I know I knew just 1-2 months ago. I'm sure I will be able to get back to where I was pretty soon, so I'm not worried about it.

I finished the first story in the collection Nowe przygody Mikołajka ("Kochany Święty Mikołaju") and it kicked my butt! It's quite humbling that even after 1,100 hours of Polish a children's story can be so difficult!

There were a lot of words to look up (like zakuwać = to cram, as in to study a lot before a test) and several that I couldn't find definitions of so I ignored them. In some cases, it seems like the story uses alternate ways of saying things that I know; for example, I know that to go to the corner is "do rogu" but the story said this same thing as "do kąta". Not sure if this is a synonym or there is some slight difference in meaning between these. Anyway, the individual stories are short and fun, and even though they are really making me work hard, I'm still enjoying them.
2 x

hedgehog.chess
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (N), English (~B2ish), German (~B2ish)
Language Log: https://tinyurl.com/yaofno9u

Postby hedgehog.chess » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:00 pm

First of all I’m happy that you are using more and more native resources :) Now to your questions:
StringerBell wrote:Question#1: In the show Ultraviolet, a character refers to a guy as "koleś". Is this interchangeable with "człowiek" or "facet"?
Question #2: Are the words koleś, człowiek, or facet ever used to describe a woman? I only see them used for men. If these aren't used for women, is something besides "kobieta" that's used colloquially?

Question #1: It could be interchangeable. They are all more or less an equivalent of ‘a dude’ in English. Of the three I would strongly advice against using ‘koleś’ because in most cases its connotation is rather negative.
Question #2: ‘Koleś’ and ‘facet’ never. You could use ‘człowiek” as it describes every person of mankind. So ‘Człowieku, co ty robisz?” could address both a female or a man. The word you are looking for is ‘laska’ which more or less is an equivalent of ‘a chick’. Just as ‘chick’ it can be used for every female and also to emphasize that a particular woman is beautiful. (Co za laska!=What a chick!)
StringerBell wrote:In some cases, it seems like the story uses alternate ways of saying things that I know; for example, I know that to go to the corner is "do rogu" but the story said this same thing as "do kąta". Not sure if this is a synonym or there is some slight difference in meaning between these. Anyway, the individual stories are short and fun, and even though they are really making me work hard, I'm still enjoying them.

Yes, there is a difference in meaning. ‘Pójść do kąta’ immediately triggers a vision of a child being punished for its misbehavior.(‘Idź do kąta I przemyśl swoje zachowanie!’). ‘Pójść do rogu’ is rather neutral in meaning. The same goes for—“stać w kącie” for a person means that a child is standing there as a sort of punishment. For an object “stać w rogu” and “stać w kącie” can be used interchangeably. At least I use that way.
3 x

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:13 pm

I have been reading 1-2 chapters of either Dzieci z Bullerbyn or Nowe przygody Mikołajka every day, and doing about 5 minutes of transcription of Ultraviolet. With Ultraviolet, I changed my strategy a little bit. Now, I watch a scene first in Polish with Polish subs and write down each line. If there are words/phrases I don't know, I look them up. Then, I rewatch the scene in Polish with English subs to make sure I understand the meaning of what the characters are saying. Once I'm done with the whole episode, I'll go back and watch it in Polish with and without subs. I'm really enjoying both the stories and the show.

Questions (I have more than this but I will save the rest for later):

1) In the TV show, a character is said: Pytanie, ilu włascicieli jest trochę na bakier z prawiem, żeby uciekać z miejsca wypadku.
Am I correct to assume that "na bakier" means "in trouble"? Could he have said this sentence using some form of "kłopoty" instead?

2) Does "plereza" mean "mullet" as in a haircut where it's short on the top of the head and long on the bottom? This comes from a story in Nowe przygody Mikołajka where the mother is noticing that Mikołaj needs a haircut and says, "Boże, co za plereza!"

3) What do "miotać" and "parsknął" mean? I could not find definitions.
"Przestań sie miotać!" powiedział pan Ludwik, "bo jeszcze utnę klientowi ucho."
Kleofas parsknął śmiechem.

4) Is there a difference between the verbs "zetrzeć" and "wytrzeć" (to wipe) or are they interchangeable?

5) Does "popsuł me się samochód" mean the same thing as "zepsuł mi się samochód"?
1 x

Theodisce
Orange Belt
Languages: Polish (native), speaks: English, Czech, German, Russian, French, Spanish, Italian. Writes in: Latin, Portuguese. Understands: Ancient Greek, Modern Greek, Slovak, Ukrainian, Belarusian, Serbian/Croatian. Studies for passive competence in: Romanian, Slovene, Bulgarian.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1435

Postby Theodisce » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:45 pm

StringerBell wrote:1) In the TV show, a character is said: Pytanie, ilu włascicieli jest trochę na bakier z prawiem, żeby uciekać z miejsca wypadku.
Am I correct to assume that "na bakier" means "in trouble"? Could he have said this sentence using some form of "kłopoty" instead?

Yes, być na bakier z prawym means to be in trouble with the law.

StringerBell wrote:2) Does "plereza" mean "mullet" as in a haircut where it's short on the top of the head and long on the bottom? This comes from a story in Nowe przygody Mikołajka where the mother is noticing that Mikołaj needs a haircut and says, "Boże, co za plereza!"

I didn't know the word but I did some research and believe you got this right. There is a Wiki article with plenty of synonyms: https://pl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Czeski_pi%C5%82karz

StringerBell wrote:3) What do "miotać" and "parsknął" mean? I could not find definitions.

Miotać can mean "to hurl" but in some instances also "to move chaotically". Other meanings: https://sjp.pwn.pl/szukaj/miota%C4%87.html . Parskać śmiecham- "to snicker".

StringerBell wrote:4) Is there a difference between the verbs "zetrzeć" and "wytrzeć" (to wipe) or are they interchangeable?

I guess it depends on the character of the action described by those verbs. To me they seam interchangeable when describing cleaning, but you can only wipe someone from the face of the earth with the former (zetrzeć kogoś z powierzchni ziemi). Edit: after a short exchange with a fellow native speaker, I can add to this that you can only use wytrzeć to say "wipe something clean" - wytrzeć (coś) do czysta.

StringerBell wrote:5) Does "popsuł me się samochód" mean the same thing as "zepsuł mi się samochód"?

I see no difference between the two.
2 x
BCS 400+ : 48 / 50
RUS 2800+ : 74 / 100
SPA 1500+ : 128 / 100
CZE 1900+ : 94 / 50

StringerBell
Brown Belt
Italian

Postby StringerBell » Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:54 pm

Thank you so much, @Theodisce; hope to see you on my log in the future!
1 x

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:53 am

StringerBell wrote:3) What do "miotać" and "parsknął" mean? I could not find definitions.

As I've taken the verb 'parsknąć' to generally mean 'snort'; 'parsknął śmiechem' in my mind means, 'he snorted with laughter'.
I've seen the verb used when referring to a horse snorting and someone snorting cocaine.
And now, in writing this, I've discovered another verb for snort, 'prychać', which seems to be interchangeable (although less common it seems).

I'm enjoying your log and learning new stuff.
Tak trzymaj dalej !
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:30 pm

parsknąć - burst out with laughter

miotać się - go back and forth, fidget
2 x

Return to “Language logs”