zenmonkey's multilingual adventures of a traveller

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
daegga
Blue Belt
Languages: Bavarian (spoken), German
-- ≥ C1 passive --
English (IELTS 8.5)
Scandinavian (a: N>D>S)
-- along the way --
French, Italian
-- can read with dict --
Old Norse
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17055

Re: German Log Entry

Postby daegga » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 pm

zenmonkey wrote:Gah! The movie I am working on in Anki - The Dark Valley - has a lot of Tyrolean dialect, which as fun as it might seem, isn't the core of my study at this time. Well...

What did you expect? :lol:
1 x
jag nöjer mig med tystnad

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:53 pm

daegga wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Gah! The movie I am working on in Anki - The Dark Valley - has a lot of Tyrolean dialect, which as fun as it might seem, isn't the core of my study at this time. Well...

:oops: Didn't think it through... it still works. I just focus mostly on the german subtitles!
0 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.

Postby zenmonkey » Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:38 pm

zenmonkey wrote:
daegga wrote:

:oops: Didn't think it through... it still works. I just focus mostly on the german subtitles!

So, in order to have something a little more "consumable" I've converted Oblivion. It's very enjoyable to watch it as an Anki deck!
Screen Shot 2015-09-18 at 20.32.08.png

Perhaps too easy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Hebrew and German Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:49 pm

Hebrew: Good review day - covered Assimil lessons 1-14 as checks for wave one.
Also received a KB keyboard cover with Hebrew letters - don't have to guess the hebrew layout off of the screen anymore. Unfortunately it is US/Hebrew - I'll need to get used to that again after years of Azerty typing.

German: I could have spent more time today covering German - had a long drive but mostly listened to US based podcasts - well, they were excellent! Duolingo, some Assimil, some Anki. Maybe some reading tonight!
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Hebrew Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 21, 2015 3:14 pm

First attempts to use a Hebrew dictionary for verbs are frustrating. The word מדבר should have come up with 'to speak' but I got 'desert' instead - a little investigation and I can use this dictionary if I poke about - whisper, speak nonsense and speech (דבר) came up correctly. It's all about getting the root right. :? :lol:

Catching up with Anki - I've renamed a bit of the advanced decks to "suspended" - I won't get to those for a few months.

Other languages:
I'm back in France and last night I took my daughters to a fair - une fête foraine - they had a great time, we agreed to speak in German on the way back because 2 years here and their German is getting a little rusty - they won't forget it, they are actively using it in school but we need to add a little more. They had a hard time at first!

My youngest continues to buzz through on her own in Italian using duolingo. Her mother has promised a trip to Italy in the (far) future so there is some more motivation there.

My study is getting structured a little better but I need to focus it into a smaller time slot next.
1 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

German & Hebrew Log Entry

Postby zenmonkey » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:21 pm

Well, fooling around my Anki decks I've unfortunately changed some fields and a few of my early subs2srs cards are scrambled. No particularly worried - bad cards get dumped - I have several thousands in reserve!

I'm finally caught up on Anki -- still a lot of untouched cards, but those will come.

German - Reading - New Penguin Parallel texts Short Stories and it is a slow slough with 2-3 words missed per pages. Noting these, probably for review, given my level, these are likely frequent enough.

beschleunigen - to accelerate
tadellos - impeccable, pristine
Rosenbeet - rose bed
Pächter - tenant
zeitgemäß - contemporary
zuzusteuern - to be heading
Verbeugung - to bow

And... a quick test with my daughter confirms that her level is still better than mine. Damn kids!

Daily Study tasks
German
• Assimil Perfectionnement 5 ✔︎ 15 min
• Duolingo ✔︎ 15 min
• Anki ✔︎ 60 min
• Read ✔︎ 40 min
Hebrew
• Assimil 14 ✔︎ 30 min
• Anki ✔︎ 30 min
• HebrewPod ✔︎ 20 min
• Grammar
• Rosetta

Ladino
• Manuel
• Reading
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:33 pm

Lighter day - was busy with home tasks.

German:
Did watch a Coursera video in German on computer vision. Finally, feeling more comfortable after these few weeks - reading results were not encouraging but this was fine.

Rather basic content (science wise) but at least two words that I was unsure of:

abtasten - scan
Darstellung - representation
• Lang-8 output ✔︎ 95 words

Hebrew: covered
• Grammar pg 15 ✔︎ 15 min
• Rosetta ✔︎ 30 min
• Essential LL pg 34 ✔︎ 15 min

השם שלי הוא יוג'ין.
אני גר בגרמניה.
אני מקסיקני.
יש לי ארבע בנות.
אני לומד עברית.
אני לא מדבר בעברית טובה.
אני מדבר ספרדית, גרמנית, אנגלית או צרפתית.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 1:10 pm

Just a quick place holder - I'm going climbing with my daughter. Dropping in after a looooooong absence.

I've signed up for tandem sessions next week in German. We'll see how that goes.
Hebrew is moving incredibly slowly. Still working on it!!

More later!

Hebrew mostly focusing on duolingo and hebrewpodcast101 for now.

German catching up on duolingo but also reading here and there and just using it daily. Using Anki with the girls, etc...
4 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Wanderlust

Postby zenmonkey » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:56 pm

And a trip to Croatia this summer has me doing flash cards for a dozen travel phrases.
Going to Iceland later and need to write those up for the trip.

These are just basic phrases for travel and I can't say they count as language learning as it is pure parlour trick memorisation and lost basically on landing back in Germany. I doubt these will be seriously studied someday ... but who knows. :lol:
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Icelandic and stuff...

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:25 pm

Went back to look at busuu after a long period away and it has definitely changes - as much of the content is now premium I likely won't be using it.

Icelandic resources for my brief stint in the next weeks:

And probably need to look up Halldór Laxness.

I've been chasing a few flies (literally) as I cannot work with them buzzing around me. Work today interferes with language learning but got some duolingo for Hebrew and German in.

Damn flies. :twisted:

I need to figure out how to write and review cursive script. Because the tools to write cursive are bit lacking - of course, it isn't like one writes latin cursive on the screen....

Screen Shot 2016-09-19 at 17.15.31.png

Ktav Yad CLM seems to be closest to how I write cursive, even if it has some different choices or slants.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”