Bakunin's log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Re: Bakunin's log

Postby tuckamore » Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:36 pm

So true, this:
Bakunin wrote:What I don't understand is how a learner is supposed to get a good feeling for tones after hearing a few rounds of ga-ga-ga-ga-ga with all five tones, and then some listen-and-repeat. This seems to be a fundamentally flawed approach to me. For me, it takes a massive amount of listening to allow my brain to hone in on the underlying tonal shapes.

Admittedly, I needed tones broken down at that simple level to show me what tonal differences even mean or else I’m not sure my brain would even know to look for tones outside of the ways I use tone in English. But, once I figured out that there was a difference, these simple contrasting syllables were not enough for me to internalize tones, or apply them to a different context. I needed more. I’m far from being apt, but at this point in my studies, I’m comfortable with my ability to identify tones in slowly spoken sentences. The tone pairs that most often trick me up, even in context and in a sentence, are mid & low, and high & rising.

I do, however, credit these simple and repeating tone breakdowns using the syllable ma — specifically ma — in being to identify and reproduce tones. The reason for ma specifically is that at some point within the first month of my studies, after listening to a round of ma in all 5 tones yet again, I suddenly related each tone to a different way I may call out to my mom in different circumstances. Then, using this ‘mom-ma’ model, I could quickly repeat and identify tones in various other words. With time, I got the knack for each tone, and just skip over the ‘mom-ma’ step. I’m very thankful that ma is one of the ubiquitous models for Thai tones, otherwise I may still not hear anything. (Also, fortunately, when I call out to my mom, I most often use the word ma.)

My biggest hurdle is deriving a word’s meaning from tones. Even if I am able to identify a word’s tone in a slowly spoken sentence the majority of the time, I am still a far way off from intuitively extracting meaning from tones. It is an overly analytical process where I actually think, “mai with low-tone equals new.” I get by more easily when words have different grammatical roles, as I use context to get meaning, not the tone. My brain hasn’t linked tone with meaning, yet. For example, when two words could be easily swapped, let’s say in the sentences ‘I like dogs’ and ‘I like horses’, I’m at a loss unless I stop to dissect the sentence in my head.

What I think would be helpful for me is to have a collection of minimal pair sentences where only the tone of one word differs. Using sentences would be key, not isolated words. Using the example of horse and dog, if I had 50 pairs of sentences that only differed by swapping those two words, I think my brain could start to extract meaning from tone. Repeat this drill with dozens of word pairs (even better, with different voices), add large doses of comprehensible input, and I’d surely be on the road to assimilating tones and their meaning.

Or maybe I don’t need all that and I just have to believe that overtime and with greater input that I’ll eventually get there. In another thread, Carmody mentioned that faith plays a necessary role for him in his language studies. When I read that, I recognized that for assimilating Thai tones faith is a key ingredient for me — faith that I’ll get there someday if I keep trying. My dream is to be able to differentiate Thai words without being conscience of the tone, just as I am about sounds in English.

That said, I'm sure there are better ways to get to the point where I am now and maybe focusing on comprehensible input would have been a more holistic approach and I wouldn't be having the problem I have now with extracting meaning from tones. But at the beginning, Thai was exceptionally foreign to me. And, tones were the scariest thing about Thai, so that is what I focused on.

Actually, Bakunin, I am curious how your competencies with tones developed using an input-loaded learning style. Were you able to assimilate meaning and tone simultaneously? (Was Thai your first tonal language?)

lingua wrote:I also have noticed that on the one cooking show I watch where the hostess talks fast that I barely hear any tones out of her at all.

Yes, tones in fast speech are terrible for me, even if I can hear all the other sounds. When listening to languages when I’m out and about, I use an app on my phone that has the capability of slowing down speech without altering pitch. I had never messed with the speed settings (I use this particular app because it breaks audio down into smaller chunks that I can repeat). But one day during a walk when listening to Thai, I guess I accidentally changed these settings, (slowing down the audio) when putting the phone into my pocket. Because, Wow! the tones were so clear and obvious. After this discovery, I’ve played around a bit with changing the speed. First, lowering the speed to where the tones jump out at me, then incrementally increasing the speed back to normal, and again, Wow! by the time I get back to normal, I could hear most tones as I could at the slower speed. It’s almost like having my own teacher, repeating things slowly for me when I don’t understand, but then ramping things back up after. Since this initial discovery, I haven’t played much with speed settings and Thai, but I have plans to explore more at some point. Currently, I’m using this technique for helping me with hearing Japanese pitch accent, and it’s doing wonders.
2 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Postby Bakunin » Thu Feb 02, 2017 8:51 pm

Thanks for your long comment, @tuckamore. I wish I could answer more competently :)

I do understand where you’re coming from but separating tone from the rest of the syllable is definitively not the right thing to do. It may be a crutch during an intermediate phase but you need to move past that at some point. In actual conversation there’s not enough time to do this kind of mental arithmetic. You need to learn to hear หมา immediately as dog and ม้า immediately as horse… a comment like this is probably not terribly helpful but I don’t know what else to say.

Production sometimes helps to develop a better ear for tones. It’s a bit of a chicken and egg thing because you already need to have a good mental model of the tonal contour for production, but the human capacity to imitate shouldn’t be underestimated either. Tones change in very subtle ways other sound features, for instance vowel quality and length. Production might help you to pick up on these subtle differences and improve your listening skill. Chorusing is a great way to work on accuracy in production (take a phrase of a few words, repeat it on endless loop, and start speaking along trying to mimic the phrase as exactly as possible… for this to work well I have to use only one headphone and set the volume such that I can hear both the native speaker and me clearly).

Regarding your question, yes, I think I assimilated tone and meaning to some extent simultaneously. Memory is notoriously unreliable, so I rather don’t elaborate. But here’s a theory about the benefits of massive listening to comprehensible input: actually, there are all kinds of contours and tone heights in real spoken language. By listening a lot without getting hung up on analysis, you allow your brain to develop the tonal categories and the acceptable range of allotones, tone sandhi etc. That’s a prerequisite for automatic association of a tonal syllable with meaning. If you constantly interrupt this process with analysis, you may actually delay it. You may be looking for an idealized shape which just isn’t there, leading to a lot of confusion.

Have a look at the following tonal contours of the second syllable of a three-syllable phrase. First column is mid tone, second low tone and so on. It's pretty clear from the picture that you won't be able to hear the idealized shape if the preceding tone distorts the onset. High and rising tone have an especially wide range of allotones (so to speak, or acceptable tonal shapes) sometimes quite different from the idealized contour shown in your textbook or when spoken in isolation. This study was done on voiced syllables, I believe; mixing in voiceless plosives would further complicated the picture.

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 21.28.28.png

Further to this, what I've noted in Isaan, and subsequently also in Thai, is that the final syllable of a sentence can have an even wider range of acceptable contours. On top of that come intonation patterns which may further act on the final syllable(s). Tone is a very tangible feature of Thai, but it's seldom the idealized shape you see in your textbook.

As I mentioned before the acquisition of tones is a process even for native children, so we should all cut ourselves some slack. I think ignoring the conscious analysis of tones (or any other difficult feature) for a while and rather focus on extracting meaning from a lot of comprehensible audio or video input is always a good strategy. Things will develop, and it will be in stages.

I’d be interested to listen to a passage where you or @lingua barely hear any tones at all. Can you link to such a segment?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

tuckamore
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (intermediate), French (intermediate), Thai (beginner), Swahili (beginner)

Postby tuckamore » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:18 pm

Thank you for your detailed response, Bakunin. Your words are extremely helpful and encouraging. You are telling me things that I need and want to hear. The overall message that I’m hearing is that I’ll work out tones(+meaning) with enough comprehensible input, without having to torment myself over them.
Bakunin wrote:I think ignoring the conscious analysis of tones (or any other difficult feature) for a while and rather focus on extracting meaning from a lot of comprehensible audio or video input is always a good strategy. Things will develop, and it will be in stages.

I am taking this advice to heart. I am going to try to stop being obsessed with tones for a while, and instead focus predominately on extracting meaning. It is going to take some will on my part to do this, because I’ve been hyper-aware of tones since I began my Thai studies. But once I do, it will also be a relief.

I’m glad you mentioned chorusing. I had used chorusing very early in my studies, and it was very helpful (also using one ear bud). I could clearly hear when I made improvements in sounding ‘Thai-like’, which gave me confidence to speak when I went to Thailand. I haven’t done chorusing, though, since those initial weeks. But, with this reminder, I think I would definitely benefit from more of these exercises.

Looking at the figure you attached, I can see why mid and low give me difficulty. Also, the contours for high look more like the mental map I had for rising, which explains why I have difficulty distinguishing between these two tones. Very informative — thank you for posting it.

Bakunin wrote:I’d be interested to listen to a passage where you or @lingua barely hear any tones at all. Can you link to such a segment?

I don’t think I’ve heard anything where I don’t hear any tones at all, but there are defiantly cases where tones were barely perceivable. I’m thinking, for me, lack of perceiving tones reflects a lack in proficiency, akin to not being able to parse a quickly spoken sentence in an L2. When I come across something I will pass it along to you.
1 x
: 10000 / 10000 10000 Japanese pages
: 1510 / 10000 the next 10000 Japanese pages

Bakunin
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English, Thai, Swiss-German (adv.), Khmer, Isaan (studying); dormant: French, Polish

Postby Bakunin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:53 pm

An update is overdue… I regret that I don’t have time to comment on other logs :(

Khmer
I’m still checking transcripts for my storytelling project and have a backlog of many months; I’m likely to be busy with this until end of this year. Every new topic is interesting and makes me notice new words. I don’t feel like I’m progressing much week-on-week but I can see in my bi-weekly tutoring that I’ve made huge progress since summer last year.

In order to get a better grasp at the relatively complex writing system (way more complex than Thai), I’ve started a dedicated effort to go systematically through all consonant and vowel combinations. I’ve written a little program putting together consonant-vowel combinations with IPA-like transcriptions, and I use these to drill first reading (Khmer to IPA) and then writing (IPA to Khmer) in Anki.

Thai
I’m in a comfort bubble with Thai. I use it every day, but I don’t challenge myself much. I’ve just come back from another ten days of shooting in Thailand for the film project. We did about two hours of interviews. I wish I could express myself better in Thai but it’s certainly solid enough for the work I’m doing there. I’ve heard myself speaking Thai on recordings and didn’t cringe. It sounds quite good actually, it’s my best L2 in terms of pronunciation.

Isaan
On my recent trip earlier this month, I’ve tried some Isaan phrases with everybody who seemed to come from there. Almost everybody reacted very positively, helping me with pronunciation and vocabulary or being just generally enthusiastic about me trying to speak their language. It’s very encouraging. I think my tones are not bad, I’ve really done all the ground work, but I need to work on vocabulary and basic fluency. However, I’m in no rush. I’ll be working with Ton on various recordings, on my little dictionary etc., and I’m planning to make this a long-term project over many years. Next milestone will be May when I’ll try to record conversations between Isaan speakers in Ton’s village (= I’ll try to get Ton to speak with / interview other people, and then transcribe these conversations).

Zurich German
For the film project, I’ve been translating Thai to Swiss German, and I had the ‘pleasure’ to listen to myself speaking Thai and Swiss German on quite a few recordings. I’m happy with my Thai but cringed hearing me speaking Zurich German. I realised that my vowels in the a/e range are terribly off. Zurich German distinguishes four vowels: a-ä-è-e, whereas my native German has only three. The Zurich German a is further back than what I say, and I seem to have missed the distinction between ä and è. Even the Zurich German e I say doesn’t sound quite right. It’s a huge mess.

I agonised a while and then decided to attack the problem head-on. I’ve researched Zurich German phonology and tested everything with the friend I was working in Thailand. I now have a good overview of the vowel system and know where I have issues (mostly the aforementioned a-ä-è-e). I’ve got him to record several words and examples sentences for each vowel and diphthong which I’m using now to work on my pronunciation. I alternate between chorusing and recording myself. It will take months of practice until I get through and master all the vowel sounds, and then maybe more time until I can apply everything confidently in conversation. I will have to look up many words to make sure which vowel sound is correct, and then learn these words properly.

Fortunately, I’ve got all kinds of reference works on Zurich German including a big good-quality dictionary, a grammar, and various books on phonology and other aspects of the language.

Upper Saxon
Maybe it was my work on Isaan, or my renewed interested in improving my Swiss German (which started before I realised the issues with my pronunciation described above), but I checked out Upper Saxon on the internet. I realised that the dialect is something like a heritage language for me. My mother and her parents spoke Upper Saxon, and I must have heard a lot of it during my early childhood until we left Eastern Germany in the 80s.

Upper Saxon is one of the most ridiculed dialects in Germany and I never even identified as a Saxon since I was born in Thuringia and never lived in Saxony. Now I’m getting really interested in the dialect and would love to dust off my knowledge. I’ve bought a dictionary (Sächsisches Volkswörterbuch) which is an abridged version of a four volume work and therefore a solid piece of research. I’d love to have the original but each volume is about EUR 100 and I’m currently not prepared to shell out EUR 400 just for a dictionary. It's fun to look up words or just read around randomly... there are heaps which I know and which are clearly not Standard German.

I’ve also bought two books written in Upper Saxon and corresponding recordings. It’s so cool to listen to the dialect, it feels familiar and I can also imitate it quite well. The books are parodies of serious literature translated in Upper Saxon, and maybe I’ll try to learn one or two of the poem-stories by heart. Here’s the beginning of ‘Des Sängersch Fluch’:

S’is mal ä Schloß gewäsen mit hibbschen Dirmschen dran.
Drin hauste schtolz ä Geenisch, ä färschterlischer Mann.
Geen greeßern Feez* där gannte, als wie sei Volk zu quäln,
Däm seine beesen Daden war’n gar nisch mähr zu zähln.

Trotzdäm besaß das Egel ä wunderscheenes Weib,
zum Gissen un zum Gosen ä sießer Zeidvertreib.
Doch wänn ämal ä andrer hinschielte bei die Frau,
Da machte gleisch dr Geenisch ä grässlischen Radau.

Feez: of French origin (fête or fêtes) meaning fun, enjoyment.
5 x

Return to “Language logs”