Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Re: PM's French Courses Mission

Postby smallwhite » Wed May 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Good luck for the exam, PM!
2 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Wed May 17, 2017 1:16 pm

Good luck and all fingers / toes crossed!
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Wed May 17, 2017 2:10 pm

Le cœur!
1 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Wed May 17, 2017 4:24 pm

Bon courage mon ami !

I won't write good luck because that insinuates that you are not prepared, and will only pass the exam by luck. But, you are prepared, so you don't need luck. Just have courage as you face the test :D
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Wed May 17, 2017 4:37 pm

tomgosse wrote:I won't write good luck because that insinuates that you are not prepared, and will only pass the exam by luck.

That good luck thing was probably the biggest culture shock for me when I first came to Australia. I was as diligent a student as you could get, and people wished me luck for exams?!
Last edited by smallwhite on Thu May 18, 2017 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Wed May 17, 2017 5:15 pm

Portez-vous bien et bon vent pour l'examin.

Nos pensées et nos cœurs sont avec vous.
;)
1 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed May 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Break a leg!
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Wed May 17, 2017 7:11 pm

Je te dis merde.
4 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu May 18, 2017 3:48 am

Okay, back from 3/4 of the exam. The last 1/4 is tomorrow. Thanks everyone for your support!!!

So today I completed the listening, reading and writing components.

Listening:
My weakest! I was nervous, and couldn't gather any information on first listen to the first 5 minute snippet of audio. I found it hard to understand what information i was trying to search for/decipher when there was little time to read all questions and take it all on board (i'm a little slow). I found it difficult to compose myself and was feeling a little despair at times. I composed myself and did what I could. Fortunately with this piece of audio there was a 2nd listen, but still I found it tricky. Some guessing involved to be quite frank. The next piece of audio was easier and one listen only. All in all my guess mark out of 25 is 8. I hope it's not below the required 5 out of 25, would be a shame to fail. Not confident! I even came back to this portion when the reading component officially commenced, in vain trying to salvage something here and there by at least answering questions I was drawing blanks on.

Listening is clearly my weak point at this stage. And by weak point, what I find tricky at times is not necessarily hearing words, phrases and sentences, but deciphering the nuances in the information provided in order to correctly respond to the questions. Not fun!

Reading:
Very confident. Minimum mark I believe I will get is 15, but potentially over 20 without issue. Official guess mark 22. A little work is involved, it's not a walk in the park, but not far off it.

Writing:
Pretty similar to reading, but due to the fact i couldn't cut out quite enough words in the end to bring it into the correct word count range, a tiny bit less confident than reading. Guess mark 20.

Oh and in the middle of the exam i was busting to go to the toilet (yes I did go before the exam too, more than once). No issue, that was explained... I went out and then on finding my way back to exam room realised I'd gone up the wrong (small) flight of stairs. I looked quickly for the right door, couldn't find it, went back up the same wrong flight of stairs as I followed a cleaner's directions, but at the top of the stairs in the room I could hear French behind the door spoken out loud- not an exam going on there! Rushed back down, outside... quick select the right door!!! Phew, this time the cleaner got it right. An example of panicking making a situation confusing I think.

Oral component tomorrow.

Had to write about all this today before I forget the details!!
12 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Thu May 18, 2017 5:00 am

I hope you get the marks you're estimating, and good luck on the oral tomorrow! As a person that drinks a lot of water, I can completely relate to your story, as a matter of fact something similar happened to me at the dentist today. :)

When you get a chance, can you give a bit more detail on the writing section? Topic, time allotted, and whatnot.
2 x

Return to “Language logs”