Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Re: PM's French Courses Mission

Postby Woodsei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:35 am

Will you just be looking at the French in Action book, or are you adding in the videos as well? I know you mostly don't waste your time with audio at this point for things you already know, but I am curious to know (if you will skip the videos) since it's mainly a video/audio heavy course.
1 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:51 am

Woodsei wrote:Will you just be looking at the French in Action book, or are you adding in the videos as well? I know you mostly don't waste your time with audio at this point for things you already know, but I am curious to know (if you will skip the videos) since it's mainly a video/audio heavy course.

Hey Woodsei,
Audio and video too- all components. When I decide it's time for FIA, I'll return to where I left off last time. Many easier writing activities will also be skipped- no point doing those writing activities I could do with my eyes closed :)
2 x

Woodsei
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Arabic (N), Japanese (intermediatish)

Postby Woodsei » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
Woodsei wrote:Will you just be looking at the French in Action book, or are you adding in the videos as well? I know you mostly don't waste your time with audio at this point for things you already know, but I am curious to know (if you will skip the videos) since it's mainly a video/audio heavy course.

Hey Woodsei,
Audio and video too- all components. When I decide it's time for FIA, I'll return to where I left off last time. Many easier writing activities will also be skipped- no point doing those writing activities I could do with my eyes closed :)

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your progress in that when the time comes. Your log is very inspiring, I have to say. It made me finally make the jump into French. :)
2 x
Tadoku: 1 / 1000

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:58 am

Woodsei wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Hey Woodsei,

Thanks! Looking forward to seeing your progress in that when the time comes. Your log is very inspiring, I have to say. It made me finally make the jump into French. :)

That's great Woodsei, I"m really genuinely pleased to hear (read) that I have inspired someone :) I'll be sure to post here as I get into FIA. How far off that is, i'm not sure- i'm still trying to figure out how to cut my list down further. I got a little obsessed it seems (careful this is my level-headed personality talking. any time now mr perfectionist course hoarder will take over!). Keep learning French Woodsei, every day!
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:18 am

Okay, I'm going to cull a few more. This is now risky territory as these are courses I prob don't totally want to cut but have tried to bring myself to do. However there's really no rush to do these, so I can keep them, but remove them from my list and like one or two of the vocabularly books, leave them for a rainy day. They may be something I pick up in years to come when I want to work my advanced French a little alongside studying a couple of other languages. We'll see!

Streetwise French 1
Streetwise French 2
Learn French with Jokes 1
Learn French with Jokes 2
---------------------------------------------------------------------

So here's what remains of my list of courses to do:

•Vocabulaire Prog. du FR - (niv. débutant)
•Grammaire en dialogues (niv. débutant)
•Fluenz French 5
•Mauger's Cours de L & de Civ 1
•Grammaire Prog. du FR (niv. inter.)
•Glossika French EN-FR 1
•Assimil French Without Toil
•La prononciation française pour de vraie
•Vocabulaire Prog. du FR (niv. inter..)
•Glossika French EN-FR 2
•Hugo French Advanced
•Mauger's Cours de L & de Civ 2
•Colloquial French 2
•Glossika French EN-FR 3
•Grammaire en dialogues (niv. inter.)
•French in Action (2ème édition)
•Production écrite B1/B2
•Tell Me More (levels 1-10)
•Ultimate French Verb Rev. & Pract.
•Ultimate FR Rev. & Practise
•Bien-dire: Fr. Expressions (B1-B2)
•FSI French Basic
•DLI French Basic
•Grammaire en dialogues (niv. avancé)
•Mauger's Cours de L & de Civ 3
•Prép. à l'examen du DELF B2
•Réussir le DELF B2
•Activités pour le CECR niv. B2
•Tell Me More (Business/advanced)
•Grammaire Prog. du FR (niv. avancé)
•Vocabulaire Prog. du FR (niv. avancé)
•Bien-dire: C'est la vie en Fr. (B2-C1)
•Bien-dire: Expr's courantes (B2-C1)
•Bien-dire C. entre amis (C1-C2)
•French Verb Mastery
•Assimil Business French
•Pract. makes Per. Adv French Gram.
•Grammaire Prog. du FR (niv. perfec.)
•Vocabulaire Prog. du FR (niv. perfec.)
•DLI- GLOSS
•Réussir le DALF C1 et C2
•Production écrite niveaux C1/C2
---------------------------------------------------------------------

That's still 41 courses!

I've also decided I"m going to take some of Serpent's advice and get rid of some of my courses when I get the time (she suggested all).
6 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:27 am

DLI French Basic is now removed from my list... reluctantly. I just can't see me having time to do even 40 courses, and with FSI on my list, a similar course, I would prefer to cut DLI, since I have done a number of the FSI units. Iguanamon had given a nice brief comparison of the two recently, and it seems there are some fairly sizeable differences. All in all, FSI stays, DLI goes. If I ever have the time, see the need and so on, DLI is not going anywhere- what I mean is, it's free and easily accessible online if required.
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:41 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:

•Assimil Business French

That's still 41 courses!
Do you already own a copy of Assimil's Business French? They don't offer it on their website anymore (only for target language english).
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:36 pm

DaveBee wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

•Assimil Business French

That's still 41 courses!
Do you already own a copy of Assimil's Business French? They don't offer it on their website anymore (only for target language english).

I do indeed :)
0 x

rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English

Postby rlnv » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:50 pm

Have you ever estimated how much time you will need to do the 40 remaining courses, based on what you know about your pace in the past?

I'm curious because when I apply an estimate of those courses to my own pace, I come up with a finish date at some point in the next millennium. 40c * ((rlnv * dog slow) / rare speed bursts of inspiration and determination) = ~3032
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:03 pm

rlnv wrote:Have you ever estimated how much time you will need to do the 40 remaining courses, based on what you know about your pace in the past?

I'm curious because when I apply an estimate of those courses to my own pace, I come up with a finish date at some point in the next millennium. 40c * ((rlnv * dog slow) / rare speed bursts of inspiration and determination) = ~3032

Hey rlnv!
I have attempted in an extremely rough roundabout way, and have concluded that even 5 or 10 courses is almost too much! Ahhh what to do when one is me *sigh*
4 x

Return to “Language logs”