Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Re: PM's French Courses Mission

Postby Ani » Fri May 19, 2017 9:47 pm

petermollenburg wrote:Damn I really need to start buying myself trophies, anyone would think I'm the first person to ever make it to B2 (provided I pass!!!) in French! Please everyone, feel free to mock me btw. My ego needs to be brought back to earth! Maybe failing would be a good thing? :o

Now, back to Pimsleur French 1.... ;)

Language exams totally deserve trophies. I'm so glad you got it done. It's a real marathon just to get through the test days!

Har har on your Pimsleur French 1. What did you actually decide on? I lost track there with the wiffly waffly procrastinating. Was it a little time on Dutch only, still French, or both?
4 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sat May 20, 2017 5:37 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:smallwhite - ... the ONE who really pushed at exactly the right time for me to take this exam...

Oh, I was just cheated into it. I thought getting B2 exam out of the way would see you studying Dutch with me. Oh well, after C1, then. Or after C2...? ;)

Congrats for surviving the exam :P

[ Stows pompoms away for now and very pleased to remove those boring French clips ]
4 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 am

zenmonkey wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
zenmonkey wrote:Congrats!!

And from the sound of it you prepared more and your test seems to have been a bit more strenuous than the telc B2 for German. So there too, consider that this B2 might be placing you in solid C1 land. Bravo.

Thanks zenmonkey... maybe I painted a tougher picture than I was meant to? :? Okay, I didn't exaggerate from my angle, but maybe I did? Anyway, here's wishing us both well on our respective results! I hope we do as well as each other, and that it's better than we both expect! Thanks for your kind words zenmonkey :)

No, don't undersell yourself. It was factually a tougher exam - a 7 minute talk on a topic? I only had 2 minutes. That's just one example. You used a tutor, I wish I had (particularly for the writing prep.)

I suspected that the telc test is structured a little easier than other exams. And your description seems to indicate you got it down (I'm going to bet you get a better score than you assume).

Are you thinking of doing a C1 test? I think that's going to be my final objective but I expect it is 6-12 months before I can reach those levels (if I pass the B2...). And this time I want to take the Goethe C1 - so I expect it is a significant step up. It's good to see someone's method and thinking along the exam path - so also thanks for all that you shared here.

Thanks zenmonkey. I don't know much about the telc (ok, nothing) is it an immigration exam for non-EU citizens entering and wanting to remain in Germany? I did a quick search and i'm not sure it is that, perhaps it's simply a B2 exam, like DELF B2 but simply for Germany- which could be used for university/employment/citizenship. Can ask why you wanted to take this exam zenmonkey?

On the '7 minute thing'. I anticipated having to talk at length for the full 20 minutes with very little input from the examinors. I was relieved to discover they would listen to me for only 7 minutes then start asking me questions and thus a discussion would ensue for the remaining 13 minutes, made the 2nd half easier than I thought (as opposed to struggling to keep talking about something for the whole 20min). Thinking back, I certainly could've done a little better by adding a few more varied 'linking words', but all in all I did a good job of it and i'm very pleased. I hope I do do better than I expect for the listening component, but being unsure implies I was a bit lost- and I definitely was. Answering and being sure, leaves little uncertainty, so I do not expect a great result for the listening section. I think i'm being realistic. But yes the other sections, I definitely feel very happy about and comfortable. Time will tell.

Yes, I'm considering sitting the C1 indeed. I actually think it's doable in 12 months time or less even, but i'm inclined to want feel over confident as opposed to stretching for a pass if that makes sense. So, i'm thinking 2 years is a more realistic goal, especially when I'd like to get back to completing a long list of courses!! (yes I know, don't say it).

I'd like to hear more on your aim to pass the Goethe C1. That's a great goal and I hope you get there! From a French C1 orientated learner to a German C1 orientated learner, I hope you make it, I hope we both do!

Ani wrote:
petermollenburg wrote:Damn I really need to start buying myself trophies, anyone would think I'm the first person to ever make it to B2 (provided I pass!!!) in French! Please everyone, feel free to mock me btw. My ego needs to be brought back to earth! Maybe failing would be a good thing? :o

Now, back to Pimsleur French 1.... ;)

Language exams totally deserve trophies. I'm so glad you got it done. It's a real marathon just to get through the test days!

Har har on your Pimsleur French 1. What did you actually decide on? I lost track there with the wiffly waffly procrastinating. Was it a little time on Dutch only, still French, or both?

Thanks for the ever encouraging support Ani :) Another very supportive person indeed.

I decided on French only in the end. The objective is C2 eventually, but for the moment C1. I'm targeting a time frame of between one year and 2 years. And as per usual I have plenty of too-easy-resources to distract me ;) no, really! So, do tell, I'm very eager to know- what's this secret French course mission you're on or that you're intending to go on?

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:smallwhite - ... the ONE who really pushed at exactly the right time for me to take this exam...

Oh, I was just cheated into it. I thought getting B2 exam out of the way would see you studying Dutch with me. Oh well, after C1, then. Or after C2...? ;)

Congrats for surviving the exam :P

[ Stows pompoms away for now and very pleased to remove those boring French clips ]

Thanks smallwhite. I'm really quite disappointed to not commence Dutch (and even more languages still) but i'd be more disappointed to not focus solely on French. C2 must be had! Thus, no Dutch until at least C1 (I'm not saying no Dutch before C2 simply because I'm not sure if it's realistic -for me- to attain C2 outside of a Francophone country in a reasonable time period). Thus I will adapt as I proceed.

At least for now, yet again, no other languages. I would've loved a Dutch studievriendin! Nevertheless, I am very very keen on your study methods. I think taking breaks as you do (3 weeks) and focusing on your weaker skills is a rock solid efficient approach, which is completely full of logic. I would apply it myself but i'm too swept up in ticking things off my lists (namely courses), but hey, that's what motivates me, so that's what works for me. For many a person out there perplexed with this obsession, do know that I have an almost equally massive amount of literature (if you can call it that) to get through and an ever increasing list of French series. Too much to do in French, sorry Dutch, but I do sorely miss you!

So, smallwhite, now that the exam is done, are you dropping French out of your schedule? Were you pleased with your progress? Was it motivating to have me as a fellow French learner on a specific mission while you joined me on that French mission? What's your next move? Which language(s)? Which mission?
3 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sat May 20, 2017 8:07 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:
So, smallwhite, now that the exam is done, are you dropping French out of your schedule? Were you pleased with your progress? Was it motivating to have me as a fellow French learner on a specific mission while you joined me on that French mission? What's your next move? Which language(s)? Which mission?

French maintenance is completely unnecessary and unfun for me. I did it only to pressurise encourage you take the exam. I went Phew! when you signed up and I couldn't care less about news clips from 6 years ago :P

I'm 1 month into learning Greek and loving it but I don't think I can tempt you with anything non-French so nevermind! (But Greek is really beautiful to look at and refreshing to hear. Not that hard either, and resources are interesting - I was reading about Athena's Parthenon just now! ...)

> I think taking breaks as you do (3 weeks)

Maybe you can try rotating some of your studies every 3 weeks on top of rotating by hour. Say,

Weeks 01-03: Courses + Reading
Weeks 04-06: Courses + Listening
Weeks 07-09: Courses + Reading
Weeks 10-12: Courses + Listening
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 am

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:

French maintenance is completely unnecessary and unfun for me. I did it only to pressurise encourage you take the exam. I went Phew! when you signed up and I couldn't care less about news clips from 6 years ago :P

So did you actually do much French? And if so did you learn much? Did you not come across new vocabulary at least?

smallwhite wrote:I'm 1 month into learning Greek and loving it but I don't think I can tempt you with anything non-French so nevermind! (But Greek is really beautiful to look at and refreshing to hear. Not that hard either, and resources are interesting - I was reading about Athena's Parthenon just now! ...)

Greek is an interesting language, and I even owned Greek resources once upon a time. Not to mention it's a very beautiful place, Greece, with good weather to boot! And Melbourne is almost full of Greeks... not quite but plenty at least- so you'll have to move there.

smallwhite wrote:> I think taking breaks as you do (3 weeks)

Maybe you can try rotating some of your studies every 3 weeks on top of rotating by hour. Say,

I'm constantly reworking my study schedule. This is a nice idea, thank you, I shall give it some consideration.
0 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Sat May 20, 2017 4:21 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Thanks zenmonkey. I don't know much about the telc (ok, nothing) is it an immigration exam for non-EU citizens entering and wanting to remain in Germany? I did a quick search and i'm not sure it is that, perhaps it's simply a B2 exam, like DELF B2 but simply for Germany- which could be used for university/employment/citizenship. Can ask why you wanted to take this exam zenmonkey?

On the '7 minute thing'. I anticipated having to talk at length for the full 20 minutes with very little input from the examinors. I was relieved to discover they would listen to me for only 7 minutes then start asking me questions and thus a discussion would ensue for the remaining 13 minutes, made the 2nd half easier than I thought (as opposed to struggling to keep talking about something for the whole 20min). Thinking back, I certainly could've done a little better by adding a few more varied 'linking words', but all in all I did a good job of it and i'm very pleased. I hope I do do better than I expect for the listening component, but being unsure implies I was a bit lost- and I definitely was. Answering and being sure, leaves little uncertainty, so I do not expect a great result for the listening section. I think i'm being realistic. But yes the other sections, I definitely feel very happy about and comfortable. Time will tell.

Yes, I'm considering sitting the C1 indeed. I actually think it's doable in 12 months time or less even, but i'm inclined to want feel over confident as opposed to stretching for a pass if that makes sense. So, i'm thinking 2 years is a more realistic goal, especially when I'd like to get back to completing a long list of courses!! (yes I know, don't say it).

I'd like to hear more on your aim to pass the Goethe C1. That's a great goal and I hope you get there! From a French C1 orientated learner to a German C1 orientated learner, I hope you make it, I hope we both do!

I understand how you feel - when I write 8-12 months for the C1 test I keep thinking 2 years. Not because I don't think I could scrape by a C1 test in that time but because, like you, I want to be comfortable when I take it. But if I use as motivation I think I can hold it for 12 months max as an objective.

As to the telc test - the B1 fulfils the immigration requirements (which is why I took it). After taking the B1 and doing well - the B2 was really as a way of both pushing myself and just also the next stage on the learning path - I don't actually need it for work or to live here, but having it on my CV may be a slight plus. And the C1 is again not really required but I can use it as a path to get myself to study for an objective. And the Goethe C1 is considered 'serious'.

My intent there is really be able to read and access native cultural material that I enjoy currently mostly in English or French - being able to comfortably read German literature classics or non-fiction is really the goal, as well as living here without any language barrier but the C1 is a good way to work towards that goal.

In terms of method I'm basically going to focus on Klett C1 manual that is specific to the test prep, work with a few tandem exchange partners and focus on native material - podcasts, german wikipedia, books, Hammer's Grammar, maybe pick up a copy of Duden's Die Grammatik, as it seemed quite readable today when I was looking into this. I'll hire a tutor later on for 3-4 months through italki as test prep (writing review) or someone local. We've also been talking about taking an semi-intensive course vacation - two weeks of half day classes in small groups, plus half days of self study where my friend and I commit to only using German during the period.

The C1 test is really a way to create closure - once I've passed I'll likely stop studying German at the current volume and focus on languages that are 'less important' to my daily life. I really want to get back to a few dormants and also hit Arabic and Icelandic seriously - currently not possible with German & Hebrew taking up so much time. Last night I watched an episode of Master of None which was almost completely in Italian and I was surprised by my level of comprehension and how much I miss that language - which is now pretty asleep - I couldn't speak more than the most basic stuff. German has taken over everything and I want to be able to say 'Gut genug'!
4 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat May 20, 2017 5:48 pm

Congrats on writing the test! If you don't mind, you'll have to let us know how you do. ;)
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat May 20, 2017 11:15 pm

smallwhite wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:
> I think taking breaks as you do (3 weeks)

I came up with this 2 day rotation to maximise progress through courses, all the while being in touch just enough with reading and listening to progress, albeit slowly. Keep in mind, listening will always have extra time outdide my allotted/targeted daily 3 hours via commutes and casual TV watching, plus occasional extra reading.

I've adapted your suggestion above smallwhite and have chosen half a month instead of 3 weeks, as I feel it will be easier to keep track of (1st half of the month/2nd half). Plus, I will only do the 'extra activity' every 2nd day. Must complete more courses! Must complete more, more, them all!

PROJET

Day One
* 3 hrs of courses

Day Two
* 2 hrs of courses, then :
Either:
* 1 hr of reading for first half of month.
Or:
* 1 hr of listening/watching for 2nd half of month.
0 x

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 21, 2017 12:26 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:
So did you actually do much French? And if so did you learn much? Did you not come across new vocabulary at least?

And Melbourne is almost full of Greeks... not quite but plenty at least- so you'll have to move there.

I re-listened to old audio clips, read a few pages of a textbook and a few pages of a novel. I learned one word: "Erin is a common poetic name for Ireland' / "Erin est l'un des noms poétiques de l'Irlande".

There are a lot of Greek eateries here, too. Never noticed them before.
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Tue May 23, 2017 12:53 pm

I may have missed this, but could you tell us how long the audio clips were?

From your description, it seems that the listening component works like a traditional "listening comprehension exercise"; i.e. listen to an extract and answer a bunch of questions about it. I guess that shouldn't be a surprise. To me this means that using materials like they have on GLOSS https://gloss.dliflc.edu/Default.aspx is likely to be pretty useful preparation for the exams.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language logs”