Re: PM’s French Re-entry into the Matrix - Phase 1: 500 Hours Extensive Reading

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: PM's French Courses Mission

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:36 pm

Ani wrote:Petit escargot
Porte sur son dos
Sa maisonnette.
Aussitôt qu’il pleut
Il est tout heureux
Il sort sa tête.

Tout se passera bien, j'en suis sûre. :)

Another little favourite of ours ;) Thank you Ani
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:58 am

Another iTalki session, another little piece of success. The fourth recent almost hour long session and a French speaker from another location (Luxembourg). She challenged me, and I did pretty well. Her thoughts from the little window into my French were that my level is equivalent to C1.

So now I feel that all that's stopping me from passing the B2 is being prepared for the format, that is, knowing the specific formats well unique to this exam and those required for responding in the manner called for. That's not necessarily a trivial thing either.
4 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:06 am

Why not also try to get a couple male teachers' opinions? It would be interesting.

You would also get to experience different debating styles.
Last edited by BalancingAct on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
3 x
Non va fatto con molto ciò che si puo fare con poco.
La liberté n'a pas de frontière comme votre curiosité.

Soffía
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Icelandic (B2 reading, B1 listening), Hebrew (basic)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1139

Postby Soffía » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:23 am

BalancingAct wrote:Why not also try to get a couple male teachers opinions? It would be interesting.

What difference do you think that would make?
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:19 pm

BalancingAct wrote:Why not also try to get a couple male teachers' opinions? It would be interesting.

You would also get to experience different debating styles.

2 of the 4 sessions I've had so far have been with a male. I didn't ask his opinion of my level per sé, but he did state my level was advanced. I ought to book some more sessions soon, I could find another male, for whatever reason, as the remaining 3 or 4 italki sessions I have coming up are with women. But as Soffía below might be suggesting (please correct me if I'm wrong Soffía), I'm not convinced it would make any difference at all.

Soffía wrote:
BalancingAct wrote:Why not also try to get a couple male teachers opinions? It would be interesting.

What difference do you think that would make?

A fair question.

I might add mine. As I'm male (just thought I'd point that out). I think I could probably pass a C1 exam, provided I did sufficient (months worth) of C1 exam preparation. In the true defintion of the level though, I don't actually believe I am C1, even if I could pass the exam. This is in part why I'm not going to sit the C1 yet- not enough prep, and not confident enough, but it's nice nonetheless to have the feedback stating I am C1, as it at least means I'm likely well on my way. Now after having said all that, I just need to miserably fail the B2 and fall flat on my face ;)
2 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:28 pm

Courage, mon frère!
2 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Postby BalancingAct » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:41 pm

My focus was on the debate part. The French pay a lot of attention to coherent arguments and value forceful counter-arguments. I find the debate dynamics varies depending on whether the tutor and the student are of the same gender. I tend to have vigorous debates or frank discussions involving advancing sharp arguments with male tutors and receive good feedback afterwards, which is highly satisfactory; the downside is they tend to neglect my mistakes or not to point out my shortcomings. With female tutors the topics are quite different and we usually have mild, smooth talks; but they are more ready to correct my mistakes. So I believe in signing up a more or less equal number of male and female tutors. Just personal observation of course.
5 x
Non va fatto con molto ciò che si puo fare con poco.
La liberté n'a pas de frontière comme votre curiosité.

smallwhite
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: Cantonese;
Good: English, French, Spanish, Italian;
Mediocre: Mandarin, German, Swedish, Dutch.

Postby smallwhite » Sun May 07, 2017 12:04 pm

Cheerleader's Report

I've been (re-)listening to audio from RFI and Read & Think French every other day or so. I think about you every time : "thank god I'm not the one who's taking an exam soon".
1 x
Dialang or it didn't happen.

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sun May 07, 2017 12:41 pm

smallwhite wrote:Cheerleader's Report

I've been (re-)listening to audio from RFI and Read & Think French every other day or so. I think about you every time : "thank god I'm not the one who's taking an exam soon".

Thanks for the report smallwhite, you're going great guns. I'm hit and miss, but mainly doing ok. Have been reviewing Assimil a lot lately (reading/listening/shadowing), watching TV (mainly news), listening to RFI with occasional transcript use, and have many a iTalki tutor session with 6 or 7 more to come (one first thing tomorrow AM). I need to get back to my course prep materials but also trying to plough through Assimil.

Recieved an email with confirmation of dates and times. Main exam Thurs 18th May 0930-1200, Oral exam Fri 19th, 1130-1220. Nearly there! Keep up the cheerleading smallwhite :)
5 x

Carmody
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N)
French (B1)
Language Log: http://tinyurl.com/zot7wrs

Postby Carmody » Sun May 07, 2017 1:19 pm

Thurs 18th May 0930-1200, Oral exam Fri 19th, 1130-1220.
Thinking of you often and wishing you every best.

To have the courage to just go for it is magnificent, whatever the results are, you are greatly admired by me.

No advice to give you at all but of course:

Bon courage!
Last edited by Carmody on Sun May 07, 2017 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”