Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Re: Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Postby galaxyrocker » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:24 pm

Perfect! Thanks so much, both of you.
1 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes

Re: Nótaí galaxyrocker - Ancient Celtic Languages, (Old) French, Latin, Old English

Postby galaxyrocker » Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

I've been trudging along with the same languages. Doing something with Old Irish and Old English pretty much daily. Getting better at them, thankfully! Latin is hit or miss, but trying to get more regular, same with Middle Welsh. French I'm inconsistent with, need to sit down and just focus on it (and modern Irish).

Otherwise, been applying to schools in case the visa doesn't work out here. Applied to Brest again, and upon further research there's a faculty member who'd honestly be an ideal supervisor for the project i want to do. It's tempting, but if I can stay in Ireland on a work visa, I probably will. Also applied to PhD programme here in Dublin, and will be applying to another. Am applying to international schools as well. Future is up in the air at the moment, and damn is it stressful.

With regards to languages, I've also been bit by a bit of wanderlust. I really wanna get into Japanese (and even Korean now!) at least to get reading ability in the languages. But, I need to stay focused at least until I know where I'll be come August.

That's all for now, hopefully more regular updates as i try to get back focused. I did so well, then crash and burned after Paddy's Day and started giving in to old temptations to just sit on Reddit way too much, among other things. Hopefully I can get back on track in April!
10 x

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt

Postby galaxyrocker » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:28 am

I've been a bit more consistent since the last update, but then I have to be. Staying in Ireland is looking less and less likely, sadly. While I had been debating on leaving for several years now, it hurts to actually be forced with the decision. Ideally I'll get one of the two PhDs I am applying to, or another job that gives a visa, but it doesn't seem likely I'll get one at my current job unless a research position opens.

I finished another book in French, Les Littératures Celtiques from the 'Que Sais-Je' series. I've also been practicing writing in French a fair amount on tandem now, thankfully, which has helped a lot. I still have a long way to go though in fixing the gap between my active and passive skills. I'll likely have to do a course in France beforehand, which causes even more issues with money but I think I can make it work. I've been doing a fair amount of listening too, while out on walks and such. It's nice to just throw a podcast on and be able to understand the majority of it if I focus.

Otherwise, still working on Stifter/Quin slowly but surely, same with Old English which has really started to interest me linguistically. So much so I'm reading a comparative grammar of old Germanic languages! I'm working through LLPSI with some looking up stuff in Wheelock's or the French book for teaching Latin I have. I still have yet to start Middle Welsh though. Need to get on that this week. Maybe after this last PhD application is done and I have some time before final exam marking begins.

Going to start another book in French right away as well. Another of the Que Sais-Je series, this time on Breton and its literature. I'm doing this as opposed to the other French books I have (one on the history of China, three on religions of ancient Europe/Indo-European groups) because it's from the university library so I'll need to return it. So it gets priority at the moment. Plus, it'd be nice to have some stronger background in Breton before possibly moving to Brittany. Also applying to teaching jobs worldwide (apart from the US) just in case. And fighting the general wanderlust urges. But so far I'm managing to resist by delving into another language I need/want to focus more on.
11 x

Return to “Language logs”