Sillygoose1's Language Extraordinaire

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
sillygoose1
Green Belt
Languages: _
NA: English
C2: French
C1: German, Italian, Spanish
B2: Russian, Portuguese
A2: Japanese
A1: Mandarin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=751

Re: Sillygoose1's Language Extraordinaire

Postby sillygoose1 » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:45 pm

The new year is coming in quick! With Christmas coming up and what not, I may or may not post in my log again this year. In case I don't, I'm going to jot down some goals.

German:

Get through another TV series - Der Lehrer then maybe an Austrian series Vorstadtweiber

Russian:

Finish five chapters of Harry Potter w/ parallel English text & L/R Aesop's Fables. Maybe L/R other short books that are easy to find + on Librivox

Latin:

Finish Ritchie's Fabulae Faciles (about 1/5 of the way through right now) then be halfway done Winnie ille pu.
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:56 pm

One more update before the new year! :)

So next year is probably going to be very German and Russian based with a good amount of Latin. I'll note down some movies or books that I consume in other languages too.

Deutsch:

Ich habe das Buch „Er ist wieder da“ schließlich gelesen und danach den Film angeschaut! Ich finde, dass der Film völlig komisch war – insbesondere die Szene mit dem Hund (die, die den Film auch geschaut haben wissen woran ich spreche). Was das Buch betrifft, es war auch lustig aber die Beide unterscheiden sich sehr deutlich.

Was ich habe jetzt im Kopf ist das Folgendes; eins) lesen weitere. Zum Beispiel mehr Friedrich Schiller und das Werk des polnisches Philosophs Zygmunt Bauman.

Ich habe auch eine Folge der Serie „Der Lehrer“ angeschaut und nichts verstanden habe. Ich muss loslegen!

Russian:

I've been using an advanced course called "Russian: From Intermediate to Advanced". Just when I thought I was done with courses...
Anyway, it's helping a whole lot. There is a bunch of accompanying audio and hardly any English at all. Each lesson takes me about 3-4 days to complete and there are 10 in total. There are paragraphs and paragraphs of reading practice with a vocab glossary after every lesson. It's a really well done course and it's high quality in my opinion. I'm currently on the fourth lesson.

If anyone is interested in it, the audio is free here: http://russian.ucla.edu/advancedrussian/Welcome.html
The pdf is probably available somewhere legally.

I did parallel work with Harry Potter and I'm on chapter 5 now. Since I've been spending so much time on that course + German + miscellaneous reading I haven't gotten back to it lately.

My biggest concern right now is just mastering both aspects and conjugations. I'm pretty solid on declensions for my level.
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 4:56 pm

Happy New Years all and here's to a fantastic 2017!

Italian:

Started with an Introduction to Heidegger by the Italian philosopher Gianni Vattimo. Watched some Christmas movies or "cinepanettoni" as the Italians like to call them. Mainly the ones with De Sica.

Speaking of which, he has a remake of the French movie called Les Tuches coming out soon. Funnily enough the characters' last name in De Sica's version is Tucci while the movie itself is called Poveri ma Ricchi.

German:

I've read some essays by Sigmund Freud which surprisingly weren't all that hard but they required a previous reading of his Ich und Es in order to fully grasp what he wanted to convey. They were Die Verneinigung and Der Dichter und Das Phantasieren. I'm hoping that by the time I'm done with that Vattimo introduction I can move on to Heidegger's "Introduction to Metaphysics" but just to be sure I'm going to read Book I of the Dresden Files in order to scoop up some more vocab.

Watched two episodes of Der Lehrer. While I can get the gist, I can't really get the details yet. This means I'm probably going to have to watch some silly movies and series in order to get better comprehension but so far that's my favorite part of language learning!

Russian:

Finished Lesson IV of From intermediate to advanced and now on Lesson V. So things are definitely picking up. This material must cover at least a B2 level because I find myself looking up things a lot compared to Harry Potter where I can somewhat understand from context.

I doubt that I'm going to go through the book again like I did with Assimil. It's wayyyy too long for that, but god damn if it isn't a great bridge between the A levels into the B's.

Did some parallel work with Harry Potter. Getting ready for Aesop's Fables soon. I also found out on Netflix there are a lot of Russian children shows - some with subs. Plus How to Get Away with Murder with Russian audio and subs. I'll probably start the kids shows after Harry Potter then the others after Crime and Punishment.
3 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:18 pm

Français –

Bon. J’ai fini la troisième saison de « Mafiosa » and c’était très bien faite. L’accent corse est divers aux autres accents français mais les nuances italiennes n’y font pas autant d’enjolivements que l’on croirait à mon avis. L’intonation italienne/corse ne va pas aussi bien avec la langue française que la langue espagnole par exemple (voir l’Argentine). Quant à la série, j’ai trop hâte de regarder les deux dernières saisons. La fin de la troisième saison s’est terminé en cliffhanger.

En ce qui concerne la littérature, mon prochain but est lire un peu de Maupassant et Voyage au bout de la nuit. En films et séries, je vise à regarder les deux dernières saisons de Les Bleus et Mafiosa et puis m’orienter plus vers les films de nouveau car je les ai depuis trop longtemps négliges jusqu’ici. D’ailleurs, pas mal de bons films sont sortis dernièrement !

Italiano –

La sesta stagione de L’ispettore Coliandro l’ho guardata tutta. Per quanto riguarda la comprensione, non ci sono stato problemi. Questa stagione è stata molto più divertente delle altre direi. Il suo personaggio è, come direbbe lui, “bestiale”.

Ho letto un libro di Gianni Vattimo su Heidegger. Il vocabolario non m’ha posto problemi ma il contenuto in sé era difficile da capire.

Non ho dei piani immediati per l’italiano per il momento a parte la serie 1992 e il libro La dinastia.

Deutsch –

Ich habe letztlich gemerkt, dass mein Verstanden sich verbessert hatte nach ich vier Folgen des Lehrers angeschaut habe. Es gibt noch viele Arbeit vor mir, aber es sieht aus, dass den Weg aufgeklärt wurde. Ich hoffe bald mehre Filme anschauen.
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:28 pm

French:

Watched a TV film called "Borderline" by Olivier Marchal. I really am startigng to love this guy because he's made some of the best police series and movies in France in my opinion. Off the top of my head, Flics, Gangsters, Un petit gars de menilmontant, and I think even La mentale which I haven't seen yet.

I also watched the new movie "Elle". It was...weird? I didn't really understand what they were going for on that one. It kind of reminded me of a David Lynch and Jacques Audiard mix without all of Lynch's weird stuff going on.

Also, 2017 has been a pretty great year for French TV series so far. Section Zero and Cannabis. The first one is, surprise surprise, also by Olivier Marchal and the second is about drug shipments or something.

I'm going to chill with the French reading since I have to a) get a native level comprehension and b) I have to improve my German and Russian. From here on out, all movies and TV for awhile.

Spanish:

Going to get back into it, again. Haven't done anything with Spanish since my last post on it. I tried watching Alli abajo season 2 but it was boring. I'm going to finish up season 2 of Vis a vis and watch another Torrente film and some Alex de la iglesia movies before January if possible.

German:

I watched Uber ich und du which was a cool comedy. The first half was funny and the second half got weird but it was worth it for the practice. I'm going to still use subs then start reading and not using subs again because I need more colloquial vocab and constructions. Also finally got around to watching Lola rennt which was good.

So my next book will be Wallenstein by Alfred Doeblin and my next movie is Harte Jungs which looks funny.

I'm ready for season 3 of Der Lehrer. I ended the last season with being able to get the gist but not all of the deets and particularities.

Russian:

Finished reading part 1 of Crime and Punishment in parallel text. That's all that was available. So now I'm moving on to Anna Karenina L/R in parallel. I actually just finished chapter 1 and it's so wonderful not having to pause when the English text is right there. I found a not so legal audiobook streaming site which, paired with my ebook site, has tons of options. I'm excited.

I think the only thing that's posing me problems at the moment is verbs of motion. Can't quite get them down just yet. Especially with those prefixes and unidirectional aspects.
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:14 pm

sillygoose1 wrote:French:

Watched a TV film called "Borderline" by Olivier Marchal. I really am startigng to love this guy because he's made some of the best police series and movies in France in my opinion. Off the top of my head, Flics, Gangsters, Un petit gars de menilmontant, and I think even La mentale which I haven't seen yet.

I also watched the new movie "Elle". It was...weird? I didn't really understand what they were going for on that one. It kind of reminded me of a David Lynch and Jacques Audiard mix without all of Lynch's weird stuff going on.

Also, 2017 has been a pretty great year for French TV series so far. Section Zero and Cannabis. The first one is, surprise surprise, also by Olivier Marchal and the second is about drug shipments or something.

I'm going to chill with the French reading since I have to a) get a native level comprehension and b) I have to improve my German and Russian. From here on out, all movies and TV for awhile.
I'm glad to hear reports of good french TV. I've been watching some french mini-series lately and the ones I've seen fall between meh and dross. :-)
0 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:19 pm

DaveBee wrote:

I'm glad to hear reports of good french TV. I've been watching some french mini-series lately and the ones I've seen fall between meh and dross. :-)

Haha yeah that can certainly happen with French. Which shows have you been watching? Check out some series from Quebec too. They have some great stuff like 19-2 and some solid comedies
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:50 pm

sillygoose1 wrote:
DaveBee wrote:

Haha yeah that can certainly happen with French. Which shows have you been watching? Check out some series from Quebec too. They have some great stuff like 19-2 and some solid comedies
La prophétie d'Avignon, and Dolmen. I'm now hooked on Quebec's Unité 9 though :-)
1 x

sillygoose1
Green Belt

Postby sillygoose1 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:52 pm

French:

Series-
Five episodes of Chefs season 2
Seven episodes of Workingirls season 4

Films-
A l'aveugle
Bouboule
13 Tzameti

Books-
None

German:

Films(all with English or German subs)-
Das ewige Leben
Russendisko
Goodbye Lenin
Harte Jungs
Knallharte Jungs
..and I think 2-3 more that I'm forgetting

Spanish:

Series-
One episode of Club de Cuervos season 2

Russian:

Books-
20 chapters of Anna Karenina L/R

Goals for this week:

French:
Finish Chefs and Workingirls then watch a more movies. Maybe start to read Bel-Ami by Maupassant or some works by Jacques Ellul

German:
Watch Abschussfahrt, Der Nanny, Funny Games, and Das Leben der anderen then start reading Wallenstein and start Der Lehrer season 3. I'd like to take the subs off for movies after this week

Spanish:
Watch 2-3 Latin American films on Netflix and watch 2-3 more episodes of Club de Cuervos

Russian:
Get to Part II of Anna Karenina and put a nice dent in my grammar book
0 x

moo

Postby moo » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:36 pm

When you posted on my thread i couldn't figure out which famous actor that is that you have as your avatar. Xavier Dolan maybe... I get him and someone else mixed up... i didn't kno you could put up pictures of people that were not you. i really gotta read the rules again.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”