Amerykanka's Adventures - A New Hope (ES, PL, RU)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Amerykanka
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (advanced), Latin (advanced), Ancient Greek (advanced), Polish (basic fluency); Italian (beginner), Russian (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=745

Re: Amerykanka's Adventures - A New Hope (ES, PL, RU)

Postby Amerykanka » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:46 am

Time for a much-needed update. Of sorts.

SPANISH
I had brought the number of reviews due on Anki down to zero, but then travel and homework messed me up and now I am around 800 again. In other news, I am now on page 152 of El amor en los tiempos del cólera. I haven't been the most dedicated of readers (again - travel and homework), but it has been great so far. I have a few plane rides ahead of me this week, and I would like to think that I might have some time to read.

I also got some listening practice in yesterday when I went to an exhibition of Mexican art. Audio-guides were available in Spanish as well as English, and I was pleased by the fact that I understood everything rather effortlessly (probably 25-30 minutes total).

RUSSIAN
Did I mention how annoyed I am about the past tense? Oh yeah. Right. That's old news . . . anyways, not much of interest has happened here. I've been going to class and reviewing my flashcards, but I haven't had time to do anything on my own.

POLISH
I wrote an email to my Polish friend, and while writing I realized how much my active vocabulary has shrunk in recent years. I must work on that. I have also been reading the news in Polish, and I watched part of Awantura o Basię on YouTube - which reminded me that I ought to read that book.

Also, I have to write a report and give a presentation on a modern adaptation of Aeschylus' Agamemnon for my Greek tragedy course, and I have chosen Jan Klata's Oresteja. This means that all my bibliographic entries will be in Polish, which is extremely exciting. I'll have to translate my citations, of course, but I fully intend to put the original Polish into my footnotes.

Speaking of Klata's Oresteja, check out the trailer on YouTube:

As a classicist and a Slavic languages enthusiast, this video makes me very happy.
0 x
Siempre agradezco las correcciones. ¡Envíame un PM si notas algo incorrecto!

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (advanced), Latin (advanced), Ancient Greek (advanced), Polish (basic fluency); Italian (beginner), Russian (beginner)

Postby Amerykanka » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:54 am

And here's the link to Awantura o Basię (the 1995 version), in case anyone is interested - and also so I can find it again easily.

1 x

Mooby
White Belt
Languages: Polish (B1)

Postby Mooby » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:56 pm

Dzięki za link do filmu, przeczytałem książkę kilka lat temu.
0 x

Amerykanka
Yellow Belt

Postby Amerykanka » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:21 pm

Time for an update!

SPANISH
I am now hopelessly behind on flashcards again. :/ Oh well. I have reached page 246 of El amor en los tiempos del cólera - this is taking me forever. Once I finish my thesis (sigh!) I need to sit down and read the last 100 pages or so in one sitting.

POLISH
Better news here. I decided to start listening to the The Hunger Games in Polish at the gym, with the result that I now have about 3.5 hours of listening comprehension from the last few weeks. Seeing as I managed to effect this change without disrupting my daily schedule at all, I am very pleased. (Note that until recently, there wasn't wifi in the gym - so this is a big improvement.)

I also listened to a wonderful podcast about horseradish the other day: http://www.sbs.com.au/yourlanguage/poli ... anguage=pl

I am finishing up my last month of school, and then I will have more free time. My language studies are currently inhibited by the fact that a) I am working on my thesis and b) these next few weeks are probably the last time my friends and I will ever live together in the same place - since next year we are scattering all over the US and the world - and consequently I really want to make the most of my time with them.
0 x

coldrainwater
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?p=65330#p65330></

Postby coldrainwater » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:24 am

How would you compare 100 years of solitude to El amor en los tiempos de cólera? When I left off with the latter, I was at risk for running into love story doledrums (I don't even think the first older feller had kicked the proverbial bucket yet). I definitely want to enjoy more Marquez but I may need to find some of his more action-oriented works. His prose is the stuff of legends though.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”