Das Faultier der Deutschen Sprache

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Re: Das Faultier der Deutschen Sprache

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:09 pm

I just realised that when I go back to university in September I will officially be starting Spanish. I am very excited as I do like Spanish, but I am a little worried. When I started German it was very fast paced, that was mostly due to the fact that I had to be at a particular level in order to even take the course. I was already very comfortable with the basics before the course started and so the exams and activities we were tested on were not too bad, in fact I scored very highly in every exam I took in German.
The difference here, I am not going to have any Spanish come the start of it in late September. I am thinking it might be possible to take some Spanish lessons here and there throughout my German summer course but I am not sure if that defeats the purpose or not or whether it would be enough to benefit me anyway. I am in a little bit of a dilemma now. It may be a slight exaggeration on my part that learning an hour or two a week while partaking in my intensive German course will inhibit my German immersion but it still seems a bit wrong.
0 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm

I have been keeping up with doing some Duolingo every day, keeping everything golden and all. I also went back to Memrise and have spent the week completing the short Memrise made courses 1,2,3, etc. mostly as review and as a new "goal" at the same time. I think I am just about ready for my intensive course on Monday. After my spell of no active language learning I think I am still doing okay, it's not perfect by any means, I would much rather had gone to my course with lots of positive news and the momentum I had going on pertaining my language learning when I wasn't at a low point.

My friend that did an intensive German course consisting of 3 and a half hours a day for one month, passed the B1 exam at the Goethe institute. So that's from an A0 to B1 in one month...though, to be fair, she is very good at languages so I don't expect the same results but it does give me a lot of motivation. If I manage a B1 level I will be very happy, if I can achieve a B2 level I will be over the moon. My logic being, not only will I be able to take the translation module but it would also mean that by the time I get my year abroad (assuming it still goes ahead, though there were assurances) I would be able to fully benefit from the immersion there. So that's basically my new long term goal, to reach a solid high B2 level before my year abroad.
I have packed my books for my Heidelberg trip already, I wasn't 100% sure what to take with me, but I think that what I have will be enough. I have also already packed Buffy, which meant buying two disc pouches to put all of the discs in. It would be almost impossible to take them with me otherwise. I haven't really packed my clothes yet as deciding what to wear for two months is not the easiest thing in the world. I still have no idea how much or little to take with me. Yay. I decided to get my hair done for tomorrow though as otherwise I would end up either looking ridiculous or having it cut in Germany, and I have trust issues with hairdressers. Sad times. Oh, and I have booked my hostel for the night I arrive as the language school close at six and I won't get to Baden Baden before 4:30 and apparently that would not be enough time to get to Heidelberg.

Anywho, let's hope my nerves hold up.
1 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:12 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:My friend that did an intensive German course consisting of 3 and a half hours a day for one month, passed the B1 exam at the Goethe institute. So that's from an A0 to B1 in one month...

I did an intensive course at Goethe. After one month, maybe ONE student (in a motivated class) could have passed A1 :?

Remember to leave enough space in the luggage for the books/dvds you will take back (ordering from amazon.de). All books are shipped free from amazon.de, and you can order in an english interface.
:mrgreen:
0 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:44 am

Oh, she actually passed the exam was what I meant. Her scores were excellent, three of the categories she scored 96 or higher in and the last one she scored a 78 I think. I don't know how the exams are marked as such but I think that's definitely a high pass, and if not I know I would still be more than happy with that after a month. She attended hers at a centre in Spain, so I don't know all of the ins and outs other than it was 4 hours a day for one month from scratch.

I have also decided that it is highly likely I will only stay a month, seeing as I paid for one month first off - I am very pleased I did as I think two months will be hell. This is not because of the course or the level, intensity, etc. It's because of the living conditions. I am simply not used to this and it is already impacting on my health. I am going to end up losing a lot of weight if I stay any longer than a month - we're talking stones here. The kitchen is basically unusable, so I can't even buy microwavable food. The only way I can eat any kind of warm food is to go to McDonald's which isn't a viable option for everyday not to mention the cost will be extremely high but it is all I can do. There is no doubt I will get food poisoning if I use the kitchen, possibly worse than that.

Today is the first day that I have had wifi so I can now post. I had been writing a small diary type entry every day so far of my trip, hopefully I can keep this up as it will be interesting to see how things develop. I will warn you all that it WILL contain myriad errors. But again, hopefully that will also improve over the course of my stay.

Erste Tag im Heidelberg
Es ist nur die Zwölfte Juli, ich habe seit zwei Tage in Deutschland gewesen. Die erste Tag war nicht schlecht aber ich habe nur um 7 Uhr angekommen. Die Quelle im Flugzug was unbedingt lang und ich weiß nicht wie lange ich war da am ende. Wenn ich in Heidelberg angekommen, zuerst besuche ich meine Jugendherberge weil ich so viele Dinge mitgebringt habe. Es war schwer zu laufen und ich war sehr müde , vergiss nicht dass ich um 5 Uhr morgen aufgewachen habe. Das war ein sehr langes Tag. Meine Jugendherberge was sehr nett, die Rezepcion war auch sehr nett aber er hat mir gefragt über der Politik in England.

Zweite Tag - Ich fange meinen Kurs an
Ich bin mir nicht sicher wie genau ich fühle mich heute. Meinen Kurs war sehr gut, und ich habe schon viel gelernt aber...meiner Wohnung ist furchtbar. Die Küche ist furchtbar, alles ist einfach furchtbar und schmutzig. Ich fühle mich wie, wenn ich duschen werde ich schmutziger als bevor bin. Ich muss Morgen erwartet und finde ich auf wenn ich ein andere Wohnung einziegen. Ich drücke die Daumen. Am Moment fühle ich wie ich nach Hause gehen muss.

Dritte Tag
Ich habe übernachten in meiner Apartment. Meinem Zimmer geht aber ich habe gewundert warum es ist wirklich heiß drinnen. Ich weiß gerade, meine Heizung ist immer 3 und der Knopf ist gebrochen. Ich drücke die Daumen das Heute ich kann etwas besseres umziehen. Wenn nicht, es ein sehr langer Zwei Monaten ist.
Ich werde bald zu Schule gehen weil es vierzehn nach elf ist und meinen Kurs beginnt um halb eins. Es ist nicht weit weg von hier aber ich muss zuerst mit Rezepcion sprechen und ich weiß nicht wie lange das dauert. Ich bin jetzt gespannt denn meinen aktuell Kurs ist gut, und der Tag hat schnell gestern gegangen. Ich denke wenn ich eine besser Wohnung hier hat, das besser ich finde dass Kurs. Ich habe meinem Fenster aufgucken und es regnet jetzt. Oh, und ich habe schon vier Episoden von Buffy gucken, ich denke dass ein Serien ist nicht genug für zwei Monat wenn ich schon ein Disc gesehen habe.
Meinen Kurs war schon gut, meine Lehrerin hat mir viel Hausaufgaben gegeben. Ich kenne niemand in Heidelberg so viele Hausaufgabe geht mir gut weil is sonst langweilig bin. Heute haben wir Prepositionen studiert und ich habe immer Probleme mit sie. Und wir haben auch um "Welche" gelernt, ich weiß nicht warum aber ich finde dieses Wort seltsam und ich erinnere mich nicht das Wort bevor zu sehen. Ich habe noch umziehen. Drei umziehen in drei Tage...Diesem Zimmer ist viel großer und das HeizungKontrolle ist nicht kaputt wie die andere aber es ist an der Straße. Ich höre immer Autos und Straßezug? (Trams), es ist schwierig zu schlafen nur andere reasons.

Vierte Tag
Gestern habe ich gelernt dass meine Lehrerin sehr beschäftig ist und normalerweise haben wir Unterhaltungen am Morgen Früh aber unsere Unterhaltungen gerade um halb eins bis halb fünf. Heute ist ein frei Tag statt Freitag aber am Freitag werden wir eine Prüfung schaffen. Wir haben fünf Leute und alles zwischen zwei von uns hat die Kurs vom ersten Tag angefangen. Diesen Kurs, das A2.1 Kurs ist noch zwei Wochen begonnen und meine Lehrerin hat gesagt dass sie hat gedacht ob ich in dem B1 Kurs sein sollte. Ich will hier bleiben am A2.1 weil ich jetzt einfach Fehler gemacht. Es ist peinlich. Ich muss später noch einmal mit der Rezepcion reden weil ich eine andere Kontrakt schreiben muss. Am Moment vermisse ich zu Hause und bin ich wütend über alle die Wohnung hier.
0 x

EmmaC02
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: German (Intermediate), French (Intermediate), Hindi-Urdu (nada)
For the Future: Arabic, Farsi/Persian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2169

Postby EmmaC02 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:35 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your living situation! I hope you're able to find some sort of solution and get the best out of your month in Heidelberg. Needless to say, I'm feeling better about my decision to find private housing for my time in a university town!

While reading your writing I noticed a few constant basic mistakes, that I think you could fix very quickly and easily.

First, remember that when constructing the present perfect, verbs of movement or change of state, tend to use the auxiliary verb "sein". So verbs like "ankommen" and "aufwachen", for example. Also, never forget that auxiliary verb!

Second, you seem to be mixing "das" and "dass" up sometimes. I have a feeling you're just tired though. Also, "dass" is a subordinating conjunction just like "weil", so it kicks that verb to the end.

Third, when you use a question word (wie, was, wer, etc.) in a non-question sentence, it subordinates.

(I hope you don't mind these small corrections :))
2 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:11 pm

What's wrong with the kitchen?

I think A2.1 is not appropriate for you. A2.2 would be better.
You will make mistakes till you are C4, so don't let mistakes hold you back.
2 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 7:50 am

EmmaC02, on the contrary, I welcome all the corrections I can get. Though, I must admit I am a little embarrassed over the "dass" errors, but fortunately such silly errors only emanate with little sleep and rushing.

Gemuse, it turned out that we had more or less finished A2.1 anyway, as the group started a few weeks before I joined so we are now on A2.2 fortunately. The kitchen is unbelievably dirty, we are talking mould here not a little, either. I changed a few times and can't really win there's always at least one really negative aspect with the accommodation. Currently it's the incessant smoking, these Tunisian guys cannot live without a cigarette it would seem. I have found discarded cigarettes in the shower, toilet, and more or less anywhere you can think of. Annoyingly, the go to place seems to be directly outside my room, so the fumes pass straight through and I have now developed a rather nasty cough and ridiculously sore throat.

I am not feeling so well, but wanted to write a little summary of what I have done so far.
Memrise
German 1 (197/197) Complete and have been keeping fully watered
German 2 (336/336) Same as above
German 3 (187/614)
German 4 (73/178)

DW
Redid the A levels as a form of revision on the interactive course. I will try and complete the whole course now, but not as quickly as I did with the A levels.

Buffy auf Deutsch
I am just starting Season 3

YouTube
German with Jenny
Kirby auf Deutsch
Monster Rancher auf Deutsch
Music playlists - mostly Silbermond (I forgot about the music censorship over here - it's hard to find Christina Stuermer vids that play)
Some vlogs auf Deutsch

Textbooks
Almost finished Schritte plus 3
Started Schritte plus 4
I have been going through Klipp und Klar
About a billion printouts for homework
Started Aspektz (I dislike this book but the evening course uses it)
Different billion printouts for this course

I will count speaking German to shop staff, especially my conversations in MCDonald's. The temperature has been in the mid to high 30 range here, and the Mcflurry mashine decided to break.

I feel like I am missing a lot, but that's it for now. I am going for a stroll in hope the fresh air alleviates my throat by some weird miracle. That's also the most English I have written in a long time, so I probably won't be doing that again.
0 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:24 pm

Unfortunately the troubles with my throat have proven to be the precursor of something much worse. I was not able to leave the house at all over the weekend, I missed class today and only just about managed to walk the five minutes to Aldi to grab some bread and sandwich meat. This is one of the worst cases of illness I have ever had, and considering I spent a lot of the start of my life without an immune system, that's saying something.
What makes matters worse, the mitbewohnerin still smoke 24/7 - often outside my room. Not great when you are already ill and it irritates your throat. I am entirely alone in Heidelberg. It may sound silly, but when you are physically too ill to leave the apartment and have no other means of obtaining medicine or food/drink, it's quite the dilemma. Not to mention how much I wished I had packed extra tissues. Yeah, basically this is quickly becoming hell. I just want to feel better already, be able to eat and drink again...
I started of really enjoying the experience minus the shared apartment, but now I am almost counting down the days until it is over and I can spend a week with my friend before returning home.

Still, that's my moaning over with for now. Hopefully I finally feel better enough to venture out tomorrow and may start enjoying the experience a little more once again.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Jul 26, 2016 8:14 pm

Sorry that your experience so far has been so bad :/ I hope you get better soon, so that you can get away from your poisonous mitbewohnerin and out into the city
1 x

Peluche
Orange Belt

Postby Peluche » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:53 pm

Hope you feel better soon WalkingAlone13!

I'm curious, how much were the accommodation charges?

I'm also surprised at the mold in the kitchen, normally the German folk overseeing the apts are OCD about cleanliness.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”