Das Faultier der Deutschen Sprache

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Das Faultier der Deutschen Sprache

Postby Elenia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:31 pm

Nej, det är inte så pjåkigt alls! Bra jobbat! Och jag hoppas att alla problemen med datorn är nu lösta?

(Var det riktigt svenska? Jag vet inte :? )
1 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... f=15&t=742

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:52 pm

Elenia wrote:Nej, det är inte så pjåkigt alls! Bra jobbat! Och jag hoppas att alla problemen med datorn är nu lösta?

(Var det riktigt svenska? Jag vet inte :? )

Tack så mycket, Elenia! Jag hoppas at samma men jag har mina tvivel! (I am not letting it do any updates just in case as it is a well documented problem, unfortunately) Haha, ich denke schon aber du bist die Schwedische Meisterin ;) Wenn du keine Ahnung hast, weiß ich sicherlich nicht...aber es sieht mir gut aus. Übrigens, habe ich richtig gelesen? Dein Geburtstag ist in der Nähe, oder?

Ooops, ich habe fast vergessen eine Nachricht von gestern veröffentlichen.
"Your German is very good, so that for a moment I wasn't even quite sure if you're fluently bilingual or not :D"
Okay, so while it is most definitely not the case, it is still awesome to get these messages out of the blue sometimes in a response. It made my day for sure.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:03 pm

WalkingAlone13 wrote:Tack så mycket, Elenia! Jag hoppas at samma men jag har mina tvivel! (I am not letting it do any updates just in case as it is a well documented problem, unfortunately) Haha, ich denke schon aber du bist die Schwedische Meisterin ;) Wenn du keine Ahnung hast, weiß ich sicherlich nicht...aber es sieht mir gut aus. Übrigens, habe ich richtig gelesen? Dein Geburtstag ist in der Nähe, oder?

Ooops, ich habe fast vergessen eine Nachricht von gestern veröffentlichen.
"Your German is very good, so that for a moment I wasn't even quite sure if you're fluently bilingual or not :D"
Okay, so while it is most definitely not the case, it is still awesome to get these messages out of the blue sometimes in a response. It made my day for sure.

Meisterin... jag är inte säker på det (but I'll take it anyway!)

Yep, jag föddes den 31:a december, nyårsafton. (För någon anledning uttala jag allt jag skriver nu... men jag uttala det på norska!)

It's always nice to get these compliments :) especially with languages like Swedish and German, I feel like it means you're at least doing somethhing right, even if they are massively exagerating your ability. Well done!
1 x

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:44 am

WalkingAlone13 wrote:I am a massive FF fan and am excited to see the list of languages being included in the new game, but, even more interesting is that there are groups set up by language - communities - so you can play with the German community, etc.

Nice. I am a big Monster Hunter fan and like that if I play online I can go seek out rooms where my target languages are being spoken. Online gaming has been pretty helpful for my Spanish. Once my German gets better I hope to be able to more with it when I come across German rooms.
1 x

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N) German (B2) Finnish (beginner) Swedish (beginner) Polish (beginner)

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:20 am

Elenia, I hope you had a wonderful birthday! I know I am a week too late, but it's the thought that counts, right? Ooo, or I could say it in Finnish so we can both marvel at the overuse of ä! Hyvää Syntymäpäivä!

Hallo M23! It's always nice to see new posts in my log made by someone other than me (Elenia, I appreciate you : P). Yeah, the communities set up by languages was one of the main reasons I was excited for FF15. I do not often get to participate in 2nd or 3rd languages in a community sense, the closest I usually get is forums. Other than that, my gaming in languages other than English is almost entirely reserved to (quite fitting, seeing your profile pic) Pokemon. I have loved the introduction of the languages in the newer gen games, though the text can sometimes be quite tricky, ironically.

I thought about creating a new log for the new year, but in all honesty I like my log name, plus it symbolises my journey quite well. I shall embrace the nature of the sloth and not create a new log. I will try not to embrace the 18 hour a day sleeping, however, I think uni might frown upon that. Spoil sports.

So, what's new for the new year?
Firstly I have some new media to take advantage of.

Dvds
Star Gate Atlantis (need to check, lots of hours though)
Star Trek Voyager (127 hours to enjoy)
Star Trek Deep space nine (128 hours to enjoy...yeah, I caved, had to get it.)
New Girl seasons 2 - 4 (only twenty minutes an episode but it's the only comedy that comes close to TBBT + Zooey Deschanel)

Books
I did not buy any new books other than an easy French reader which will probably still be too difficult for me.

The main improvement I hope to make for this year will be my "routine", or lack thereof. I am very easily distracted and a massive procrastinator. Either of these traits alone would be horrible, paired together they are horrible. I am going to attempt to battle this, partly aided by my laptop getting screwed over by Windows ten which meant I had to restore everything, which did not go entirely to plan.

My bookmarks are now only of the German resources I intend to use throughout the day. These consist of;
Memrise
Duolingo
Italki
DW
Readlang
Slow German
Lingvist

Goals pertaining the above.
I hope to complete at least a "level" of one of my Textbook courses per day, and optional level of another course. Though, currently I have been aiming for two levels minimum. These have been 50+ plus words per level, so two may not always be possible.

Duolingo
I basically try and water up to a checkpoint each day on the English for German speakers tree. I have no idea why, but this tree does not like to stay gold! I sometimes have to "gold" the same level every day for five days straight - I don't generally make any errors either, not sure how the watering system is decided on Duolingo. I do not know what state my German for English speakers tree is in, should probably check at some point. I swear it stays gold for far longer than the vice versa.

Italki
I only plan on using this for having my texts corrected. I think I stated somewhere in my log that I plan on submitting at least three texts per week on there for correction. So far I am on track with this. I do not write masses, it is more writing for the sake of writing, hopefully I can stop making the same mistakes. I also try to incorporate some grammatical feature and work with that. For example, my last text I wrote entirely in preterite - I do not often write much in preterite so it was a pleasant surprise to see that I did not make that many mistakes.

DW
I usually spend an hour or so on there once I get going. I do the Deutsch interaktiv course, attempting to finish all of it. I do not find it that difficult at the moment, but it is definitely the most time consuming resource that I currently use. Even spending an hour on it, I don't really see my progress bars move all that much.

Readlang
I only just started using this, but so far it's quite fun for a little break here and there. I just use this and the dictionary install thing in conjunction with slow German. I only read a text or two per day but like I said, it's great for a break in between Memrise or Duo.

Slow German
I just use this in conjunction with Readlang as stated above. I only discovered it through Readlang, actually. So that was quite handy for me.

Lingvist
Not sure if I will stick to this as I do not want too much vocab going on at the same time, but for now it's okay.

I try to do something from all of the above everyday. I also message friends and sometimes get to speak a little, though not often. My speaking is something I hope to practise once or twice a week, I may have the opportunity to do this now but I will see once the new year is a little further along and schedules are more transparent.

I also listen to random German stuff on my walks. Once uni starts up again on Monday *sigh* I will try and read on the train and listen to something on the way to the train station and back home.

I am back to watching two episodes of something before bed. I have been watching two episodes of Stargate Atlantis at the moment per night. So roughly an hour and twenty minutes.

Maybe I will manage to incorporate some Assimil and textbooks more effectively, though I will definitely be using textbooks again regardless once uni is back in flow.

Let's see how long I can keep up with my current routine for! I will also mention that I am training a little more seriously now. Germany is now this year, it feels weird no longer being able to say "next year" and the pressure is on. Not only do I want my language to be good. I want to make sure I am as fit as possible. I do not have a good track record of settling in in a new country. Socially and such, usually fine, but not eating and getting ill during the first week, I have that down. So yeah, the better shape I start of in, the less chance of the aforementioned being too much of a problem.

Time for some more Stargate. :)
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:29 pm

Tack! And tack again, I appreciate you too!

Good luck for this year :) your plan looks good and I have every confidence that you'll do well :)
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:54 am

Hi chocolate fan

Your German plan sounds very organised! German is wonderful, I like it so much. Hochdeutsch sounds elegant and Plattdeutsch sounds funny, although I am not certain that what I think is Platt is truly Platt haha. Viel Spaß.
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

WalkingAlone13
Orange Belt

Postby WalkingAlone13 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:35 pm

vogeltje wrote:Hi chocolate fan

Your German plan sounds very organised! German is wonderful, I like it so much. Hochdeutsch sounds elegant and Plattdeutsch sounds funny, although I am not certain that what I think is Platt is truly Platt haha. Viel Spaß.

Danke, Vogelchen!
Eigentlich mag ich deutsch deshalb welche Art ist es. Natürlich sind sie anders aber auch gut in verschieden Weisen. Zum Beispiel Plattdeutsch klingt mir schneller aber vielleicht ist das nur weil ich es nicht so gut verstanden kann. Plattdeutsch und Bavarisch klingt sehr ähnlich und ich mag Bavarisch sehr, also ist das gut. Ab und yu schaue ich mich am Youtube Swiss und Östereich auch. Sehr interessant!
Hochdeutsch ist schön aber es gibt auch so viele unterschiede zwischen die Städte. Es ist ein bisschen kompliziert. Ich habe Freunde von viele Städte und manchmal sag ich was falsches zu eine was ist eigentlich wichtig in eine anderen Städt. Trotzdem finde ich Deutsch auch viel Spaß!
Hattest du einen schönen Weihnachten, wenn du er feierst? Ich hatte glück davon meine Freunde von andere Länden haben mir Schokolade geschickt! Sogar meine lieblings Schokolade Milka mit Jelly Bohnen und Bonbon das in den Mund explodiert hat. Ich hatte auch spezielitäte Schokolade von eine Brücke in Erfurt bekammen. Es war sehr stark. Haha.

So a quick summary of my first week studying of the new Year.
I have managed to use Memrise everyday thus far, usually around 30 minutes a day. (As of now I have totalled just over 3 hours for this week)

I do not really know how much Duolingo I have done this week as such, as I stated earlier I mostly use Duo as an in between exercise when I have finished something more time consuming. Duo tells me I have accumulated 1206 points this week, plus I have almost got all of my skills back to gold on the German for English speakers tree. (I dread checking my English for German speakers tree now)

I read a lot through Readlang and Slow German. I think in total I got through 10 or 12 articles, some of which were quite long. I did not have any trouble with any of them really, I usually check four or five words per article. It is not great but it is also not too bad considering I do not really read all that much otherwise.

DW is going well. I do not really know how I can summarise this as I do not always do a whole "chapter" at once, I just stop when I know longer feel like doing it or when there are too many distractions as this resource requires all skills at the same time to be used.

I have just started Staffel 2 of Stargate Atlantis! I cannot currently remember how many hours are in season one, but 40 minutes an episode adds up. Actually, just checked and there are 20 episodes in season 1. I make that just over 13 hours. I also watched 6 episodes of New Girl, so that is roughly 2 hours.

Total watching time 15 hours.
Total writing submissions to Italki this week 4

Not too bad. Unfortunately I have not got around to any French and I am back at Uni from tomorrow with French on Tuesday. Oops. I might have to hit some Duo and hope for the best.
1 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue Jan 10, 2017 1:51 am

WalkingAlone13 wrote:
vogeltje wrote:Hi chocolate fan

Danke, Vogelchen!
Eigentlich mag ich deutsch deshalb welche Art ist es. Natürlich sind sie anders aber auch gut in verschieden Weisen. Zum Beispiel Plattdeutsch klingt mir schneller aber vielleicht ist das nur weil ich es nicht so gut verstanden kann. Plattdeutsch und Bavarisch klingt sehr ähnlich und ich mag Bavarisch sehr, also ist das gut. Ab und yu schaue ich mich am Youtube Swiss und Östereich auch. Sehr interessant!
Hochdeutsch ist schön aber es gibt auch so viele unterschiede zwischen die Städte. Es ist ein bisschen kompliziert. Ich habe Freunde von viele Städte und manchmal sag ich was falsches zu eine was ist eigentlich wichtig in eine anderen Städt. Trotzdem finde ich Deutsch auch viel Spaß!
Hattest du einen schönen Weihnachten, wenn du er feierst? Ich hatte glück davon meine Freunde von andere Länden haben mir Schokolade geschickt! Sogar meine lieblings Schokolade Milka mit Jelly Bohnen und Bonbon das in den Mund explodiert hat. Ich hatte auch spezielitäte Schokolade von eine Brücke in Erfurt bekammen. Es war sehr stark. Haha.

Deutsch wird überhaupt nicht schnell gesprochen, finde ich, also in Vergleich mit Englisch oder Spanisch. Niederländisch auch nicht, noch langsamer als Deutsch eigentlich. Das ist ganz praktisch!!

Ja, stimmt, die Unterschiede sind groß zwischen die Städte, das denke ich auch, obwohl ich wenig kenne außer wie es im Westen des Landes klingt.

Ja, ich feie Weihnachten. Die Dekorationen finde ich am schönsten. Mein Freund hat mir eine ganz tolle Uhr gegeben, mit einen Hund darauf (ich habe einen echten Hund, den ich total liebe) und Schokolade habe ich auch bekommen. Super, dass du deine lieblings Schoko bekommen hast!!!

Dein Deustch ist kein A1 Niveau haha. Ich würde sagen B1, oder?
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

M23
Orange Belt
Languages: Analog languages - English (N), Spanish (intermediate), German (n00b). Digital languages- Java (n00b)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2186

Postby M23 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:02 am

WalkingAlone13 wrote:I do not really know how much Duolingo I have done this week as such, as I stated earlier I mostly use Duo as an in between exercise when I have finished something more time consuming. Duo tells me I have accumulated 1206 points this week, plus I have almost got all of my skills back to gold on the German for English speakers tree. (I dread checking my English for German speakers tree now)

You slipped down to the number 3 spot today in our little Duolingo club but you have been holding that number 2 spot steadily all week... so that is something. :D
0 x

Return to “Language logs”