Josquin's Classical Log - Graeca non leguntur

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: Josquin's Ceol agus Ól - TAC 2016 (Irish, Russian)

Postby Josquin » Mon May 16, 2016 6:23 pm

Thank you, vogeltje! I'm really looking forward to it, although I'm a little nervous as well. I haven't flown in three years...
2 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Tue May 17, 2016 3:30 pm

Josquin wrote:Thank you, vogeltje! I'm really looking forward to it, although I'm a little nervous as well. I haven't flown in three years...

Will you fly alone?

How's your music studies? I've sort of given up the violin, I didn't have talent and it's so difficult!!!!!! I play the piano sometimes, but not so often. I saw a great piece on the TV, it was a percussion one with some kitchen utensils and a recording track as well, so nice. I'd like to learn percussion now haha.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)

Postby Josquin » Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 pm

Yes, I'll fly alone. I'm visiting friends in Cork though, so we will drive around the country together.

My music is alright (especially in comparison to my languages). I'm still writing my thesis in music history and I'm singing in a choir now. That's lots of fun! :D

You should totally learn percussion! It's awesome, although I'm more into melody than rhythm. :lol:
2 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Thu May 26, 2016 3:20 pm

THURSDAY, 26 MAY 2015

Good news! I finished Irisch für Anfänger today by completing unit 25. The last two units focused on vocabulary and there wasn't a lot of grammar involved, so I rushed through them quite quickly. Okay, I must admit I only did the last units passively by omitting the exercises, but it's better than nothing.

Also, I have been bitten by the wanderlust bug again. I have been concentrating on Irish for quite some time now and it might be good to add another language to the mix again. I'm kind of torn between Persian and Hindi although I have a slight preference for Persian. However, I will only start my new language after returning from Ireland.

That's right! I'm going to Ireland next week. My flight is scheduled for Wednesday afternoon, so I'm already excited. I hope to see a good deal of the spectacular landscape and hear a good deal of spoken Irish. I still don't know if I can visit the Gaeltacht but all the same! I might hear it outside the Gaeltacht as well. I remember from my last visit that all the train announcements were bilingual and there's always TG4 and RnaG.

I guess this will be my last log entry before my trip, so see you on the other side!
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Thu May 26, 2016 6:30 pm

Josquin wrote:Good news! I finished Irisch für Anfänger today by completing unit 25.

Maith thú!

Hope you'll have a great time in Ireland (I plan to go there myself in mid-July).
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Fri May 27, 2016 11:51 am

Go raibh míle maith agat, a Jeff!
0 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm

Beannachtaí as Corcaigh! Tá sé go hiontach anseo. Rachaimid go dtí an Ghaeltacht Chiarraí amarach. Slán go fóill!

(Greetings from Cork! It's wonderful here. We're going to the Kerry Gaeltacht tomorrow. See you soon!)
3 x

Josquin
Blue Belt

Postby Josquin » Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:22 pm

SUNDAY, 12 JUNE 2016

So, I'm back from Ireland and it was grrrrrrrreeeeeaaaaaat! I had a blast driving around the country with my friend and absorbing the Irish nature and culture. We even made it to the Gaeltacht, but unfortunately I didn't hear any Irish there. But let me begin at the start...

On Wednesday, June 1 I flew from Düsseldorf to Cork. My friend collected me at the airport and we drove directly to Kinsale. We made a little walk and my friend showed me the spectacular landscape at the coast. I stood at a cliff at least 50 m above the waterline, watching seagulls circling around a rock in the ocean. Unbelievable! After that, we went back to Kinsale for dinner (I had Fish 'n' Chips) and then my friend drove me to Cork where I met her boyfriend and stayed at their common house.

The next day, after having a good night's sleep, we had a small breakfast walking around Cork and then drove to Kenmare in Co. Kerry. We took a short walk around the beautiful town, had lunch and then drove on to visit friends of my friend's. They have a little farm near Kenmare bordering on the national park, which makes it one of the darkest places at night in all of Europe. It was lovely, they gave us tea and cookies, cooked dinner for us and let us sleep at their house. We even visited their neighbours who treated us with beer and self-distilled schnaps. It was lovely to watch the farm animals. There was a hen with her little chickens walking around the yard. Very cute! At night, it really was pitch-dark and you couldn't see a thing without artificial light. Originally, we had planned to watch the stars, but Ireland is so northbound that it wasn't really dark at 11 p.m. and we were really tired, so we decided to go to bed.

On Friday, Neill and Sophie, my friend's friends, made us a good Irish fry-up for breakfast, which was great. Bacon, sausages, eggs, toast, a tomato, and tea. What else do you need? Around noon, we drove back to Cork and had a lazy afternoon there. In the evening, we went into town again in order to listen to some good Irish music and have a few pints of beer. When we came to the pub, the live music had already finished and there was only noise coming out of the loudspeakers, so we went on in search for some traditional music. After trying several pubs, we finally found one that was to our liking and stayed there. I tell you, drinking a pint of Guinness and listening to Irish live music, that's heaven! After the music had finished and we had drunk enough, we returned to my friend's place, had some whiskey and went to rest.

On Saturday, my friend and I were a little bit hung over from the night before, so we slept late, had breakfast and then went on the road again. Our plan was to go to Dingle, find a little B&B and stay there for the night, however things turned out differently. So, my friend drove all the way from Cork to the Dingle Peninsula with a short stop in Killarney where we had lunch and I bought an Irish woolen cap. Our next stop was Inch Beach on the Dingle Peninsula, which was heavenly. We had a long walk along the beach, feet in the water and our heads in the fresh Irish air. Oh, I forgot to mention, we had gorgeous weather all week! The Irish were going mental, because it was 24° C and blue sky. On top of that, it was bank holiday weekend, so everybody was out enjoying the sun!

After an hour or so, we went on to look for a B&B, but Dingle and the surrounding villages were completely booked out! So, we went to Dingle, which is right in the centre of the Gaeltacht, had dinner and drove back all the way to Cork. So, yes, I made it to the Gaeltacht, but I only stayed there for an afternoon, too short to speak or hear any Irish. What a pity! At least, there was a lot of great coastal landscape to see and admire. Also, on the way from Cork to Kerry, we came through the Cork Gaeltacht every time, so I can say I have been to the Gaeltacht!

The next day, we hit the road again after having a traditional full Irish breakfast in Cork. This day, my friend and I went for the Ring of Kerry, a spectacular road around the coast of the Iveragh Peninsula. We went to Sneem and Castlecove, enjoyed the landscape, had some great seafood chowder, bought some post cards and went to Kenmare to sleep at Neill and Sophie's again.

On Monday, we completed our tour around the Southwest coast. From Kenmare, we went to Glengarriff, saw Garinish Island, and had a walk at the beach. After that, we went to Kenmare for lunch where I bought two Irish-language songbooks ("Ceolta Gael") and after that we went back to Cork again. We had to return the rental car in the evening, so this was the end of our road trip. However, on Monday, I saw the most spectacular landscapes I have ever seen. Beautiful panorama views from the mountain over an endless strip of coast and the mountains on the opposing side. I can't describe it, you have to see it yourself!

On Tuesday, my friend had to go to work again, so I stayed at home with her boyfriend in their house in Cork. He took me to town in order to do some shopping and to post my cards. The rest of the day we spent talking, listening to music, and watching telly. In the evening, my friend's boyfriend made a quiche as goodbye dinner and on Wednesday I flew back to Düsseldorf.

So, it was a great experience although I didn't get to speak any Irish. I heard and saw it all the time though, even the stewardess on the plane greeted everybody in Irish! While I didn't get to practice my active skills, I definitely know a lot more about the status of Irish in Ireland now. It's a little bit absurd, as it's the national language which is only really spoken by a minority though. Nevertheless, it's omnipresent and everybody knows a píosa beag. When staying at Neill and Sophie's, I even saw their children study Irish for school.

I'll definitely be coming back, maybe even for a language course in Galway or Dingle. We will see. After my return, I already ordered some Irish-language books from Litriocht, so I'll definitley continue studying Irish.

Go raibh míle maith agat, a Éire! Bhí sé go hiontach agus beidh mé ar ais!
6 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:36 pm

Thanks for sharing your nice holiday summary, Josquin!
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

galaxyrocker
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Irish (Teastas Eorpach na Gaeilge B2), French, dabbling elsewhere sometimes
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=757

Postby galaxyrocker » Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Maith thú, Josquin. Bhí sé sin an-suimiúil. Tá áthas orm gur bhain tú sult as do thuras go hÉirinn! And it seems to have re-inspired you to learning Irish, so even better! Glad everything worked out as well!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”