劳伦的博客 - Epistolia Laurentii

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
lorinth
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N) Walloon (N). Currently focussing on ZH. Studied EN, LA, NL, FI, ES to varying degrees of disappointment.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=728

Re: 劳伦的博客 - Epistolia Laurentii

Postby lorinth » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Last week, I restarted reading 古龙's 金鹏王朝. I had already read over half of it on my Kindle, then stopped because I'd lent my device to my wife for a few weeks and, when I came back to Gu Long, I felt overwhelmed, had forgotten who was who and what was happening. In the meantime, I had ordered a hard copy of vol. 1 and 2 from books.com.tw (wonderful service by the way: the books arrived in less than one week) because, silly me, I'd only bought vol. 3 while I was in Taiwan. Anyway, I restarted reading on paper, with the objective of reviewing the same vocab and taking short notes while reading - there are wide margins available to scribble stuff in books written top to bottom/left to right.

I met with a language exchange partner twice. His French is better than my Chinese but our level is not so different that I should feel too embarrassed.

I sat two classes with a new teacher, using italki. After a trial period, I decided to let the teacher choose a book according to what she perceived as my level. Much to my embarrassment, she chose NPCR 3, which is a book I'd been studying years ago. But I don't care, the idea is not to increase my vocab significantly but to talk with her with some structure.

I faithfully studied some vocab using Pleco.

I practiced listening/shadowing with a 8000 sentence book called 史上最強英語會話8000 and with the SBS podcast Happy Weekend.

--

I installed the Goal Tracker app on my phone and committed to do the following over the next 6 months (until 30 June that is):

- Study vocabulary every day (I use words collected while getting input + a full HSK list in traditional characters)
- Read on every working days (I usually read novels while commuting and often read snippets of texts here and there).
- Practice listening comprehension 5 times/week
- Meet a language exchange partner 2 times/week - that counts for listening comprehension
- Sit two classes/week - that will be a hard one as it must happen around 5:30 am - that also counts for listening comprehension
- Not language related but I also programmed 3 sessions/week at the gym. I should have programmed more regular guitar practice too but I'm most certainly going overboard.
- Sadly, Finnish and Latin are on the back burner - again.
0 x
Gu Long's 陸小鳳傳奇 : 40 / 100
Rouzer's A New Practical Primer of Literary Chinese : 9 / 40
Le finnois sans peine : 18 / 100
Tavataan Taas 2 : 12 / 30

Return to “Language logs”