Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:52 pm

I thought Finnish and Swahili were my fault. :lol: I've also mentioned Xhosa a few times, but it doesn't have an official start date. I also have to catch up with you and Cavesa with French. I feel like I'm the only one around who doesn't know any French. I feel like a bit of a bumpkin.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:12 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I thought Finnish and Swahili were my fault. :lol: I've also mentioned Xhosa a few times, but it doesn't have an official start date. I also have to catch up with you and Cavesa with French. I feel like I'm the only one around who doesn't know any French. I feel like a bit of a bumpkin.

Xhosa is on my list too! Hey, 2019 looks free ;) ;)

I'm fast forgetting most of my French, so I really wouldn't worry about that :)
1 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:14 pm

Where's that wanderlust delivery?! :lol:
2 x
Corrections appreciated.

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Brun Ugle wrote: I feel like I'm the only one around who doesn't know any French. I feel like a bit of a bumpkin.

Don't worry, you're not. Despite being able to say "I am tiia" my French skills are pretty much non-existent. Well, you cannot even call that "skills".
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 pm

NEW BOOK(s).

I may or may not have mentioned that my friend and I went to see Cornelia Funke at a reading and signing in October, where I bought the first two books in her series 'Reckless', but I know I certainly mentioned that my friend bought me the German edition of the first book for my birthday. I am now getting round to reading them. I'm reading the German first and the English after. It's strange, because the English is actually a lot more detailed than the German is. So not am I picking up on details I missed because I didn't understand them, there is also actually just a lot more in the story. I'm only one chapter in, but I am enjoying it so far. I don't know if I would recommend this edition of the German text, though, because of the disconnect. I think Funke said something about updating and/or reissuing the German text, but I can't remember what, or when.
4 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:01 pm

Guys, I don't even know which country will I be living in from 2018 on, and actually quite anything about my life beyond that point.

Non credo in vitam post examinis.

And you are already making language plans for the next decade.
3 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jan 18, 2017 6:15 pm

Cavesa wrote:Non credo in vitam post examinis.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Cavesa wrote:Guys, I don't even know which country will I be living in from 2018 on, and actually quite anything about my life beyond that point.

It's good to have something concrete to anchor yourself to, when the future looks unstable ;)
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:35 am

Elenia wrote:
Cavesa wrote:Guys, I don't even know which country will I be living in from 2018 on, and actually quite anything about my life beyond that point.

It's good to have something concrete to anchor yourself to, when the future looks unstable ;)

Wow! You're good! You should be in the Sahara making a fortune selling sand to desert dwellers.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:29 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:

Wow! You're good! You should be in the Sahara making a fortune selling sand to desert dwellers.

:mrgreen: This reminds me of a fact my boyfriend likes, which is that Sweden apparently once sold sand to Egypt :lol:
4 x

Return to “Language logs”