Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:50 am

Elenia wrote:Sorry for worrying you both! I will be leaving my current job (and also moving country) hence the drama. I realise now that my phrasing does make it look like I know that I am not long of this earth...

In less dramatic news, I have finally got a Swedish/English dictionary. We received a large mostly Swedish donation today - annoyingly, I came back to the shop just after the donor left, so no conversation practice for me. I have my eye on a book by Sigge Eklund, although it doesn't seem at all like the kind of thing I'd usually go for. Otherwise, nothing doing.

Moving country?! :shock: Are you moving to Sweden? We'll be neighbors! :D
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:Sorry for worrying you both! I will be leaving my current job (and also moving country) hence the drama. I realise now that my phrasing does make it look like I know that I am not long of this earth...

In less dramatic news, I have finally got a Swedish/English dictionary. We received a large mostly Swedish donation today - annoyingly, I came back to the shop just after the donor left, so no conversation practice for me. I have my eye on a book by Sigge Eklund, although it doesn't seem at all like the kind of thing I'd usually go for. Otherwise, nothing doing.

I am! And we will! Although I'll be in the south west, so closer to Iversen than you...
4 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:17 pm

Elenia wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

I am! And we will! Although I'll be in the south west, so closer to Iversen than you...

And even closer to jeff_lindqvist, I imagine.

So, cool. Good luck with moving.
1 x

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Postby astromule » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:22 am

Are you moving to Sweden? Great news! Where in Sweden, if I may ask? I lived in Malmö for two months, in 2010. It was a great experience. :)
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:20 pm

astromule wrote:Are you moving to Sweden? Great news! Where in Sweden, if I may ask? I lived in Malmö for two months, in 2010. It was a great experience. :)

I'll be moving to Malmö! I don't have any kind of timeline at the current moment, the only thing I can say for certain is that it will be this year

---

While I'm here, I should do an update!

I have been in Oxford for training since Tuesday and have only gotten back today. It was exhausting! All the others there seemed to have done the sensible thing and booked themselves off work for tomorrow, but not foolhardy I!

As planned, I brought along my copy of Nyckeln with me and have now read about eighty-ninety pages. I also managed - just about! - to keep up with Clozemaster while there. My streak is probably the longest streak I've ever had for anything! :D

Other than that... pfft. Nothing doing.
3 x

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Postby astromule » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:53 pm

Great! Are you going to study there as well?

Elenia wrote:
astromule wrote:Are you moving to Sweden? Great news! Where in Sweden, if I may ask? I lived in Malmö for two months, in 2010. It was a great experience. :)

I'll be moving to Malmö! I don't have any kind of timeline at the current moment, the only thing I can say for certain is that it will be this year

---

While I'm here, I should do an update!

I have been in Oxford for training since Tuesday and have only gotten back today. It was exhausting! All the others there seemed to have done the sensible thing and booked themselves off work for tomorrow, but not foolhardy I!

As planned, I brought along my copy of Nyckeln with me and have now read about eighty-ninety pages. I also managed - just about! - to keep up with Clozemaster while there. My streak is probably the longest streak I've ever had for anything! :D

Other than that... pfft. Nothing doing.
0 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:47 am

Oh, yes, you only read nearly a hundred pages and did Clozemaster. You slacker. :lol:
3 x
Corrections appreciated.

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:48 am

Good luck with the move!!
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm

@astromule - I had wanted to study there, but didn't get in this year :( I will try again next year!

@MamaPata - But I could/should have done so much more...

@gary - Thank you! Reading your adventures is making me eager for my own! Do you know how much longer you will be travelling?

---

So I've continued on the low effort pathway, but ramped it up a bit. I am 15th overall on Clozemaster this week so far (I doubt I'll stay there, but it feels good nonetheless) and have started doing my Finnish clozemaster sentences a bit more actively, writing out by hand the easy ones and annotation them with word by word translations. I made a huge mistake when I first started Finnish Clozemaster, and just 'played', not realising that there were frequency based lists. This made things incredibly difficult, and my stats are in an awful state thanks to that. I also have loads of sentences that are far too hard for me in my Finnish/English review pile, so I'm taking it very slowly and only playing the frequency lists and the fluency fast track for new words. But I know also play Finnish/Swedish and Swedish/Finnish, both of which are going much better. The latter is obviously far easier, and I can often guess the word from the Swedish sentence, but I am identifying words and when I can't guess the Finnish does come in handy for hints and tips.

Today I finaly picked my book back up. I was going to knit instead on the journey back, but figured that as I crammed the book into my small bag I should at least read it. Not many pages read, but I'm itching to read more. Might give myself another few pages before bed.

Finally, a question I have been meaning to ask for quite a while: Have any of you seen any of these series/films?
- Ze inconnus story
- Parents: mode d'emploi
-Va, Vis et deviens
?

I have them sitting on my desk at work. They'll only be £1 each, but it's no use buying them if I won't want to watch them - especially as I currently have nothing to watch them on.
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue May 09, 2017 10:23 pm

Elenia wrote:Finally, a question I have been meaning to ask for quite a while: Have any of you seen any of these series/films?
- Ze inconnus story
- Parents: mode d'emploi
-Va, Vis et deviens
?

I have them sitting on my desk at work. They'll only be £1 each, but it's no use buying them if I won't want to watch them - especially as I currently have nothing to watch them on.
I think I've seen the mode d'emploi one on youtube. It's one of the short form french sitcoms-sketch shows. Worth-a-quid.

I've started watching a french dub, of a german production, of a columbian TV show: Le destin de Lisa. Finally I get to see what all this 3,000 episode telenovela malarky is about!
1 x

Return to “Language logs”