Languid Language Learning

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Languid Language Learning

Postby Elenia » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:53 pm

Cavesa wrote:
Elenia wrote:I've added it to my pile of books to buy (which, if you're wondering, now numbers more than 50 books!)

Yay! I am not the only one! :-D
I haven't counted them though. I am scared to do so.

I have to count them every now and again, they're overtaking my desk at work!

(One of the volunteers organised them nicely so that they don't threaten to fall on my head every time I breathe too hard near them...)
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 am

Elenia wrote:
Cavesa wrote:

???

I am confused. What is happening here :-D

P.S. I honestly thought we were going for Polish this autumn. I already had a nice little plan to join you with a bit late, right after my secon langauge exam of 2017. Polis is quite likely to be significantly easier for me than Finnish, so it could be a realistic plan. :-D

Polish 2017 is definitely happening. I'm so excited for Polish 2017. Guys, it's the year of Polish.

(And to answer, Systematiker, it's Cavesa. She's always telling us how good the Czech courses are...)

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. (Cavesa, tell me about Czech courses, though...maybe something for laddering here)

I keep hoping for a change in the schedule, I want to hang out with the cool kids but I don't wanna learn Polish...
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:46 am

Systematiker wrote:
Elenia wrote:
Cavesa wrote:(And to answer, Systematiker, it's Cavesa. She's always telling us how good the Czech courses are...)

Yeah, I was being sarcastic. (Cavesa, tell me about Czech courses, though...maybe something for laddering here)
I keep hoping for a change in the schedule, I want to hang out with the cool kids but I don't wanna learn Polish...

Nothing for you Systematiker, you already know all the langauges :-D

There are some excellent resources, combining the old and new style of teaching, but I don't think laddering is the best reason to learn Czech, I hope I didn't accidentally look too excited :-D. Imagine Teach Yourself with more exercises, more content. That is one kind two publishers do really well. Than there are classroom aimed, modern, but still great courses that haven't given up on being systematic. Than a few really great exercise books (translation based) and other workbooks. Than a lot of usual crap either for classrooms or self-teaching students.
Languages with several resources up to C1 (at least official C1 on the cover): English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian. (and Latin could be counted in, despite not being cefr labeled)
Languages with at least one good looking course up to B1: Polish, Croatian, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Hungarian, (the of all these publisher also made two very untrustworthy looking Chinese courses), Esperanto
Langauges with at least one good looking course covering the beginnings: Japanese and perhaps something I don't know about.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)

Postby Systematiker » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:08 am

Cavesa wrote:
Systematiker wrote:
Elenia wrote:
Cavesa wrote:(And to answer, Systematiker, it's Cavesa. She's always telling us how good the Czech courses are...)

Nothing for you Systematiker, you already know all the langauges :-D

There are some excellent resources, combining the old and new style of teaching, but I don't think laddering is the best reason to learn Czech, I hope I didn't accidentally look too excited :-D. Imagine Teach Yourself with more exercises, more content. That is one kind two publishers do really well. Than there are classroom aimed, modern, but still great courses that haven't given up on being systematic. Than a few really great exercise books (translation based) and other workbooks. Than a lot of usual crap either for classrooms or self-teaching students.
Languages with several resources up to C1 (at least official C1 on the cover): English, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian. (and Latin could be counted in, despite not being cefr labeled)
Languages with at least one good looking course up to B1: Polish, Croatian, Swedish, Norwegian, Finnish, Hungarian, (the of all these publisher also made two very untrustworthy looking Chinese courses), Esperanto
Langauges with at least one good looking course covering the beginnings: Japanese and perhaps something I don't know about.

Continuing the hijacking here...

No, the other war around, courses to learn Czech as L3; in the autumn I'm either going to want something new as an L3 with Spanish as L2 (Optimist!) or be looking to try laddering something through Swedish.

I've realized that I misunderstood the original statement (it was good courses in Czech, not for Czech as I thought) and that it probably makes little sense to ask you about courses in other languages to learn your native one.

Ah, well, at least my brain works sometimes.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:24 am

Don't worry, Cavesa. I'm not trying to switch out Polish with Czech. I'm just trying to figure out how the list looks at this point and where Czech comes in.

2017 Polish
2018 Swahili?
2019 ??

And where am I going to squeeze in Russian and French? I'd said earlier I would be taking up French after the Gathering. And after recent world events, I kind of want to start Russian soon.

Does anyone have a time turner they'd like to sell?

By the way, Cavesa, if you don't want people lusting after Czech, you should stop tempting them with all this talk of good books to read and good courses. You know we're weak! :P
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 13, 2017 3:18 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Don't worry, Cavesa. I'm not trying to switch out Polish with Czech. I'm just trying to figure out how the list looks at this point and where Czech comes in.

2017 Polish
2018 Swahili?
2019 ??

And where am I going to squeeze in Russian and French? I'd said earlier I would be taking up French after the Gathering. And after recent world events, I kind of want to start Russian soon.

Does anyone have a time turner they'd like to sell?

By the way, Cavesa, if you don't want people lusting after Czech, you should stop tempting them with all this talk of good books to read and good courses. You know we're weak! :P

The last time-turner got recently destroyed byAlbus and Scorpius, if I remember correctly. Wait, how about time-turners outside the UK? There should be plenty, no? I definitely need one. But I might be overusing it a lot, if I got one, so I'd arrive in my thirties with gray hair, wrinkels, and arthritis. Well, "magic always comes at a price".

The trouble is that my knowledge of Czech fantasy and sci-fi is getting outdated. There are new books on the shelves every time I enjoy a walk in a bookstore. But I haven't read fiction in Czech since 2012, as I've recently realized.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:17 pm

I'm pretty sure there was a language set out for 2019 but I've forgotten it :lol: the slot's open until I remember what it was ;)

---

So, I've mostly torn myself away from Radio Sápmi and used my free ear time to listen to Finnish course audio. I have listened through the first two lessons of assimil many times now, and read through the third yesterday. I'm also still working very slowly through the 100 words deck, and have 30 cards of 200 in my 'young and learn'. I have deleted a couple of useless profession cards (today's was 'programmer', which I don't need. I kept engineer which, as Brun Ugle noted, seems to come up in the first lesson of every course ever. I kept it as it was easy to remember and recognise and my dad is an engineer), and I only learn a few month/day cards at a time. I don't want to get them confused, but the audio from From Start to Finnish is helpful in that, as it has the days of the week and the months in order.

Every now and again the Acast app seems to truly understand me! I'm hoping it's a permanent understanding, this time. I opened the app up for the first time in a long time to find that all of my recommendations were Swedish gardening podcast, with a knitting podcast thrown in for good measure :D I listened to a few episodes of the knitting podcast while doing the dishes. I don't know how many episodes, I wasn't keeping track and also wasn't listening to it the entire time.

EDIT: The Acast app remembered where I was and also has a nice multicoloured fill bar to show me which episodes have been listened to. I've listened to four episodes, but I'll count only two for Super Challenge purposes.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:30 pm

Actually, I don't think we ever made any definitive plans for after 2018 Swahili. We've discussed a lot a languages, but I don't think we ever made an official schedule beyond that. Also, I think it was Radioclare that's been plagued by engineers.
0 x

Systematiker
Blue Belt

Postby Systematiker » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 pm

2019: learn the word for "squirrel" in as many languages as possible
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:39 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Actually, I don't think we ever made any definitive plans for after 2018 Swahili. We've discussed a lot a languages, but I don't think we ever made an official schedule beyond that. Also, I think it was Radioclare that's been plagued by engineers.

Ah, yes! You must be right on both counts!

Finnish, Polish and Swahili all feel like my fault, although I don't think I made these decisions in a void. I like to think there was a general movement towards these languages which just so happened to coincide with my whims :roll:

Maybe 2019 should be the year of consolidation...? Also the year of me getting back to the languages which I have been looking away from (sorry, Dutch and Catalan!)

Systematiker wrote:2019: learn the word for "squirrel" in as many languages as possible

:D I like it! I'm one step ahead of you, though, that's what I spent 2013-14 doing :mrgreen: (oh and somethingsomething year abroad somethingsomething French degree...)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”