CarlyD's Spanish and German Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
CarlyD
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish--A2, German--now studying, A2

Re: CarlyD's Spanish and German Log

Postby CarlyD » Wed May 25, 2016 5:38 pm

6 Week Challenge Notes:

Currently finishing chapter 9 of my main textbook. The is the end of the first half of the book and there's lots of tests to see where you are. I'm working through the tests and noting where any problems lie. I've decided to not go to the next chapter during the balance of the 6WC.

Instead I'm using other resources to shore up whatever issues I see, review the tenses of verbs, por/para, pronouns, idioms, etc. I want to feel comfortable that I've "got" this, instead of just moving on to the next thing.

Super Challenge Notes--Spanish (Double):

Films: 18,000 minutes (30 minutes a day)
Books: 10,000 pages (17 pages a day)

Scary. I have 14 pages done so far. The plan is in place, all my possible books to read have been listed, I've identified which books I can read right now. Now it's just plugging through. I have a right-now goal of 10 pages a day, which won't meet the goal, but hopefully as it gets easier I can step that up.
0 x
2024 15,000 pages Reading Challenge--pages: 1180 / 15000

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sat May 28, 2016 9:52 pm

I just took another placement test--still solidly A2. I did try the B1 test, and there were 4 questions that I was very confident I got right, but the rest.....well, I could have guessed, but that wouldn't solve much. The test was a combination of grammar questions, reading a paragraph and answering questions and listening to a statement and answering questions.

My listening was horrible--I've gotten too secure with the fake very slooooowly spoken Spanish and have lost sight of the fact that no one is ever going to talk to me like that. :(
0 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Sun May 29, 2016 12:47 am

CarlyD wrote:I just took another placement test--still solidly A2. I did try the B1 test, and there were 4 questions that I was very confident I got right, but the rest.....well, I could have guessed, but that wouldn't solve much. The test was a combination of grammar questions, reading a paragraph and answering questions and listening to a statement and answering questions.

My listening was horrible--I've gotten too secure with the fake very slooooowly spoken Spanish and have lost sight of the fact that no one is ever going to talk to me like that. :(

At A2 you are ready to start listening to graded podcasts for sure, and watching the TV news and documentaries. This is where it gets fun.
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sun May 29, 2016 6:25 pm

I like to read "how to learn a language" type books for entertainment. I like the anecdotes of different techniques that have worked for different people and when they give their favorite tips. One of my favorites (don't remember the book or who was being interviewed)--name your world. When you're walking down the street or waiting in line, describe everything you see. "That man in the blue shirt is walking behind the woman in the green dress." Everything. I've tried it and it is hard--and exactly what I need to strive towards.

The book I'm reading right now "Language Logic" is very interesting and although only part way through, I've seen two things that I want to incorporate.

1. A "day" book--a notebook (or any way you like to make notes) where you just write down anything. A word you haven't heard before, a phrase that you're not totally sure of--no rules, no neatness. But note the date and the place where you heard them, to help with context--was this a formal speech, an informal chat, something heard on the street that could be local slang--all help to "place" how that new word/phrase fits in. She goes on to say that after you've looked up the word, verified the spelling, meaning, etc. then transfer it to your vocabulary notebook--for me, a regular notebook and Anki.

2. Using your dictionary. For Spanish/English--when you look up a word in English, place a mark next to the word to tell yourself later that you've looked it up. If you look it up again, that's a clue that it's necessary to you and should be in your Anki or wherever to thoroughly learn. I know I've looked up certain words several times so this will be good for me.
For the Spanish side of the dictionary she gets totally involved and showed a sample page of her dictionary with most of the words underlined, circled, highlighted. She talked about using a different color for each part of speech and how it has helped her.

I like the theory of this, but I know I won't be looking for where I left the green pen or the red pen every time I look up a word, so I'm going to think about how I can make this work for me. I've already checked and my regular highlighters don't bleed through the page, so maybe I will work with underlining and highlighting and see how that works.

My favorite Spanish dictionary at the moment is in bad shape--puppy chewed the cover almost off--so I'm going to use that one for marking up and see if I like it. I do like the idea of using the Spanish part as a "progress chart" to see how many words I've worked with--and how many I haven't.
0 x

Hank
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (intermediate), Welsh (studying)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1833

Postby Hank » Tue May 31, 2016 1:20 am

I tried "name your world" yesterday when I was out for a walk. That's pretty cool and it kind of forces you to think on your feet. What a fun suggestion. Thanks for sharing it.
0 x
Future travel plans:
2020: Cruise to Dominican Republic, Turks and Caicos, Bahamas

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Tue May 31, 2016 4:36 am

Hank--I did it while I was waiting in line in the post office and tried to describe every person in line. I was exhausted by the time it was my turn :D

Today, my complaint is with my friend Memrise.
"See you later" hasta la vista CORRECT
"See you later" hasta la vista WRONG hasta luego
"See you later" hasta luego WRONG hasta la vista

They redeem themselves with the Ignore option--both of those phrases are now gone from my courses.

I found a Spanish news site--Noticias en Practica Español (link below) that actually grades the news stories from A1 to C1 and on the lower grades has a button to push to hear someone read the whole article while you read along. Then has vocabulary lists and exercises for comprehension. Very cool. The articles range from hard news to entertainment stories and I read and listened to quite a few.

http://www.practicaespanol.com/noticias ... ca-espanol
2 x

Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Postby Tomás » Tue May 31, 2016 7:34 pm

CarlyD wrote:Hank--I did it while I was waiting in line in the post office and tried to describe every person in line. I was exhausted by the time it was my turn :D

Today, my complaint is with my friend Memrise.
"See you later" hasta la vista CORRECT
"See you later" hasta la vista WRONG hasta luego
"See you later" hasta luego WRONG hasta la vista

They redeem themselves with the Ignore option--both of those phrases are now gone from my courses.

I found a Spanish news site--Noticias en Practica Español (link below) that actually grades the news stories from A1 to C1 and on the lower grades has a button to push to hear someone read the whole article while you read along. Then has vocabulary lists and exercises for comprehension. Very cool. The articles range from hard news to entertainment stories and I read and listened to quite a few.

http://www.practicaespanol.com/noticias ... ca-espanol

New to me--thanks!
0 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Sat Jun 04, 2016 8:15 pm

Los Nuevos Detectivos--on V-me satellite station. It's a recounting of true solved crimes and the guy that does the narration speaks very clearly and I can understand a good bit. I was watching it "live" but am going to DVR the rest so I can replay and pause and look up words.

Also DVR'ing a show about Interpol and Cobra Alerta but haven't seen either one yet. I'm still looking for that combination of high interest and comprehension--love Comisario Rex but barely understand any of it. Yet.

If I keep on track, this will be my last year of 6 Week Challenge for Spanish, as my level will finally be too high. Kind of sad in a way. Of course when I switch back to German, that'll probably be two or three years of challenges right there.

Goals for this week:
1. Grammar workbook--at least 4 chapters, doing all the exercises.
2. Reading--at least 4 days this week.
3. Watching--at least 5 hours.
1 x

CarlyD
Blue Belt

Postby CarlyD » Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:28 am

I'm really pushing my reading--I'm up to 2 books in the Super Challenge.

When I clicked on my progress there--it said if I keep it up I'll end with 37 books.

My goal is 200.

Hmmmmmmm....
1 x

zhuzilu
Yellow Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), Galician (N)

English (C1-2), French (Upper-int), Chinese (Int),

Learning: Italian & Japanese

Stand-by: Korean & Portuguese

Lived in: Reims, France (4 months)
Durham, UK (1 year)
Taipei, Taiwan (6 months)
Firenze, Italy (1 month)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2618

Postby zhuzilu » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:42 am

CarlyD wrote:I'm really pushing my reading--I'm up to 2 books in the Super Challenge.

When I clicked on my progress there--it said if I keep it up I'll end with 37 books.

My goal is 200.

Hmmmmmmm....

Don't get discouraged! The new feature also make me feel queasy lol, especially these months because I'm quite busy and I don't have as much time... But it will get easier once you've read consistently for a couple of months! Ánimo ;)
1 x
Super Challenge 2022/2023
English
Books: 0 / 50
Films: 0 / 50

Chinese

Italian

Return to “Language logs”