Batur's Language Log (English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Batur's Language Log (English)

Postby Batur » Wed May 10, 2017 1:59 pm

My friend Batman encouraged me to begin language log here. I actually don't have courage to make commitment of anything. I fear that I will have a passionate beginning but end up giving it up like always. I have hesitated for days. Now I am going to try again. No matter how far I can go, I think it'll be very beneficial.

Apps
Currently I am using two mobile apps to help my English, 'Fluent English Speaking' and 'BaiCiZhan'. FES for spoken English, which I have used it for more than two years. BCZ, about one year experience, for building vocabulary. I am not sure how long will I keep using them, I used to stop using them for weeks.

Friends
I have many passionate friends. Many are here in Shenzhen, some are friends I make on the Internet. I get motivation every time I feel lazy. We support each other to go further. I won't go so far without them. I am really grateful.

Entertainment
I am a big fan of American TV shows. But now I don't spend as much time on it as before, since I have a lot of work to do. Now I am watching <The fosters> on Netflix. I can watch it without Chinese subtitles, it's a big improvement for me. I hope I could watch it without English subtitles one day. That's my goal.
I still feel frustrated when I read long articles, it's stressful to read good articles on NY times. I know those articles are great, I really want to read them. But one article may cost me more than an hour, and it's painful.

Work
I am a programmer in China. I don't have chance to speak English on my work, but I do use it frequently for searching information on Google. I would contribute more in open source if my English become better. It's a big motivation for me to learn English.

Batman used to encourage me to run, and now running become my hobby. Why won't it be a hobby for me writing here this time? :-)
14 x

Doris
White Belt
Languages: Chinese(N),Japanese(N1),English(intermediate)

Re: Batur's Language Log (English)

Postby Doris » Thu May 11, 2017 1:35 am

Batur, thank you for commend this form to me. I decide to start my English-learning blog, too. Hope I can keep writing here. :)
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Fri May 12, 2017 3:06 am

Doris, you're welcome. I am glad you also write here. I won't easily give up, knowing that you're here to supervise me. :-)
*commending, and *forum
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri May 12, 2017 3:27 am

Hi Batur. I'm interested in your name. Batur is the name of a volcano and a lake in Indonesia. Have you been there? Is that where you got your name from?
1 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Fri May 12, 2017 8:22 am

Batur wrote:Doris, you're welcome. I am glad you also write here. I won't easily give up, knowing that you're here to supervise me. :-)
*commending, and *forum

Actually, *recommending ;)

Welcome! Glad you are here. Good luck with your studies. Do check out the English Study Group in the study group area.
0 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Fri May 12, 2017 2:25 pm

Adrianslont wrote:Hi Batur. I'm interested in your name. Batur is the name of a volcano and a lake in Indonesia. Have you been there? Is that where you got your name from?

Hello, Adrianslont. I have never known that Batur is a volcano and a lake in Indonesia. I must go there if I have a chance. Have you been there? what does it look like?
I used to stay in Uyghur district. A Uyghur girl named me "Batur", she said it means hero in Uyghur language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batur_(surname)
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Fri May 12, 2017 2:29 pm

Ani wrote:
Batur wrote:Doris, you're welcome. I am glad you also write here. I won't easily give up, knowing that you're here to supervise me. :-)
*commending, and *forum

Actually, *recommending ;)

Welcome! Glad you are here. Good luck with your studies. Do check out the English Study Group in the study group area.

Ani, Thanks for correction! The English Study Group looks great! Thanks for sharing. :-)
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri May 12, 2017 11:38 pm

Batur wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Hi Batur. I'm interested in your name. Batur is the name of a volcano and a lake in Indonesia. Have you been there? Is that where you got your name from?

Hello, Adrianslont. I have never known that Batur is a volcano and a lake in Indonesia. I must go there if I have a chance. Have you been there? what does it look like?
I used to stay in Uyghur district. A Uyghur girl named me "Batur", she said it means hero in Uyghur language. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batur_(surname)

Hi again, Batur. Thanks for the explanation of your name. Your friend gave you a cool nickname!

Yes, I have been to Mount Batur and been on the lake. It's quite nice but not as impressive as other volcanoes in Indonesia. I'm going to Indonesia again next week and looking forward to seeing some more volcanoes!
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sat May 13, 2017 2:05 pm

Adrianslont wrote:
Batur wrote:

Hi again, Batur. Thanks for the explanation of your name. Your friend gave you a cool nickname!

Yes, I have been to Mount Batur and been on the lake. It's quite nice but not as impressive as other volcanoes in Indonesia. I'm going to Indonesia again next week and looking forward to seeing some more volcanoes!

Hi, Adrianslont. I have never seen any volcano before. Are there many volcanoes in Indonesia? Won't it be dangerous to see volcanoes? It sounds like adventure to see volcanoes!

I've never been abroad yet. Maybe Indonesia will be my first destination outside China. what do you think of Indonesia? which part do you like or dislike?
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sat May 13, 2017 2:32 pm

10th, May - 13th, May

I have watched season one of <Seinfeld>, and watching season two now. I quite enjoy watching them. It seems that I could watch the same episode again and agiain, and don't feel bored at all.

When reciting words on the app, I could find the correct answer, but these words are still unfamiliar to me. I guess if I read them on the article, I could have deeper impression.

Doris has already begun writing log here, and Batman promised me that he's going to write. Adrianslont told me that my name is a volcano and a lake in Indonesia, I hope that I could go there one day. I have never seen any volcano before, what does it feel if I see them in person? Looking forward to exploring the world in the future.

Vocabulary

ponderous
hysterical
collide
fling
corpse
dreary
mandatory
disdain
doctrine
quiver

Dialogue