Batur's Language Log (English)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Batur's Language Log (English)

Postby Elenia » Sat May 13, 2017 9:45 pm

Welcome to the forum, Batur. You said you struggle with reading articles in English. Have you tried using Readland or Learning With Texts? If not, they might be helpful for you.

Good luck in your studies!
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Sun May 14, 2017 9:49 am

Hi Batur.

I believe Indonesia is the country with the most volcanoes in the world - about 150 - and most of them are active. Certainly it is dangerous to live too close to some of them. On my trip next week I will be staying in Central Java near, but not too near, Mount Merapi which erupted in 2010 killing hundreds of people and causing about 350,000 people to evacuate. In 2006 there was an earthquake near Merapi that killed I think about 2000 people. I will go for a trip to its crater but not if it's looking too active!

I may sound like a volcano expert but I'm not - it's a recently developed fascination that got a big boost when I saw Mount Sinabung in Sumatra last year. That's Sinabung in my avatar. It was puffing smoke while I looked at it - see picture - and the nearby town we stayed in was covered by a layer of volcanic ash. Awesome! Unfortunately it has killed people and made others homeless in recent years, too.

Indonesia is a big, varied place - it's hard to know what to recommmend to a potential tourist. Most tourists go to Bali which is very much a tourist spot but very charming away from the crowds. Other places have many fewer international tourists but can be of interest if you like beautiful mountainous scenery, beaches or volcanoes! The cities tend to be chaotic and not as attractive to me as the countryside.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt
Languages: Chinese(N), English

Postby Batur » Sun May 14, 2017 1:55 pm

Elenia wrote:Welcome to the forum, Batur. You said you struggle with reading articles in English. Have you tried using Readland or Learning With Texts? If not, they might be helpful for you.

Good luck in your studies!

Hi, Elenia! Thanks for sharing, I have never used them. I will check them out later. :-)
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sun May 14, 2017 2:34 pm

Adrianslont wrote:Hi Batur.

I believe Indonesia is the country with the most volcanoes in the world - about 150 - and most of them are active. Certainly it is dangerous to live too close to some of them. On my trip next week I will be staying in Central Java near, but not too near, Mount Merapi which erupted in 2010 killing hundreds of people and causing about 350,000 people to evacuate. In 2006 there was an earthquake near Merapi that killed I think about 2000 people. I will go for a trip to its crater but not if it's looking too active!

I may sound like a volcano expert but I'm not - it's a recently developed fascination that got a big boost when I saw Mount Sinabung in Sumatra last year. That's Sinabung in my avatar. It was puffing smoke while I looked at it - see picture - and the nearby town we stayed in was covered by a layer of volcanic ash. Awesome! Unfortunately it has killed people and made others homeless in recent years, too.

Indonesia is a big, varied place - it's hard to know what to recommmend to a potential tourist. Most tourists go to Bali which is very much a tourist spot but very charming away from the crowds. Other places have many fewer international tourists but can be of interest if you like beautiful mountainous scenery, beaches or volcanoes! The cities tend to be chaotic and not as attractive to me as the countryside.

Hi, Adrianslont.

Thanks for sharing about volcano and Indonesia. I noticed your avatar, you're relax to see the puffing smoke volcano. You must be a very unique person in real life. Do you travel a lot? Besides Indonesia, what countries have you been to? which one is the most impressive?

If you don't mind, could you tell me more about you? What are your hobbies? Why do you want to learn foreign languages? What do you think the most important when it comes to learning a new language?

Hope that my questions won't bother you. Have a good day!
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Tue May 16, 2017 1:22 am

Batur wrote:
Hi, Adrianslont.

Thanks for sharing about volcano and Indonesia. I noticed your avatar, you're relax to see the puffing smoke volcano. You must be a very unique person in real life. Do you travel a lot? Besides Indonesia, what countries have you been to? which one is the most impressive?

If you don't mind, could you tell me more about you? What are your hobbies? Why do you want to learn foreign languages? What do you think the most important when it comes to learning a new language?

Hope that my questions won't bother you. Have a good day!

Hi Batur.

Those feet in my avatar are actually my wife's feet - I liked her picture and thought it would be good for an avatar.

Unique? I don't feel particularly special. I guess we all have different DNA, some differences and many similarities.

I didn't travel for many years while I had small children and a big mortgage but in the last 8 years I have been overseas on average of once a year. My trips have ranged from 2 to 8 weeks. I live in Australia so travelling to other countries is not as easy as in Europe where many of our forum members live. In those 8 years I have travelled in Asia: Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Hong Kong and a day trip to Shenzhen. It's a long time since I was in Europe but I will probably go there later this year. When I get back from this upcoming month in Indonesia I will start studying French a lot more seriously! I can't pick the most impressive country - they are all impressive for different reasons. I guess I am impressed by the natural beauty of Indonesia and the people who seem to enjoy having a chat with you, by the incredible efficiency and material success of Singapore, the food of Malaysia and some of its holiday towns on the East Coast, the temples and people of Cambodia and the dynamism of Hong Kong (and the availability of roast goose there!).

Hobbies? Language learning, swimming, walking, cooking, listening to music - nothing special.

Why do I learn languages? I don't need languages for work or study so I guess the short answer is it's a hobby. It certainly makes travel different and easier.

I see that you like Seinfeld. I watch very little TV but Seinfeld is one show I really enjoyed very much.

What about you? Where do you live in China? You said you lived in "Uyghur district" - do you mean you used to live in Xinjiang? Why are you learning English? Does your study/work require English?
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Mon May 22, 2017 8:36 am

Adrianslont wrote:
Hi Batur.

Those feet in my avatar are actually my wife's feet - I liked her picture and thought it would be good for an avatar.

Unique? I don't feel particularly special. I guess we all have different DNA, some differences and many similarities.

I didn't travel for many years while I had small children and a big mortgage but in the last 8 years I have been overseas on average of once a year. My trips have ranged from 2 to 8 weeks. I live in Australia so travelling to other countries is not as easy as in Europe where many of our forum members live. In those 8 years I have travelled in Asia: Indonesia, Singapore, Malaysia, Cambodia, Hong Kong and a day trip to Shenzhen. It's a long time since I was in Europe but I will probably go there later this year. When I get back from this upcoming month in Indonesia I will start studying French a lot more seriously! I can't pick the most impressive country - they are all impressive for different reasons. I guess I am impressed by the natural beauty of Indonesia and the people who seem to enjoy having a chat with you, by the incredible efficiency and material success of Singapore, the food of Malaysia and some of its holiday towns on the East Coast, the temples and people of Cambodia and the dynamism of Hong Kong (and the availability of roast goose there!).

Hobbies? Language learning, swimming, walking, cooking, listening to music - nothing special.

Why do I learn languages? I don't need languages for work or study so I guess the short answer is it's a hobby. It certainly makes travel different and easier.

I see that you like Seinfeld. I watch very little TV but Seinfeld is one show I really enjoyed very much.

What about you? Where do you live in China? You said you lived in "Uyghur district" - do you mean you used to live in Xinjiang? Why are you learning English? Does your study/work require English?

Hi, Adrianslont

Sorry, I have been absent for so long. I feel lazy these days and forget to login this site.

I am surprised that you had been to Shenzhen and know Xinjiang. I am working in Shenzhen now, and used to stay in Xinjiang for a period time. Learning a language seems like opening a new window, I can explore and enjoy new things. I am curious about all kinds of new things, it's the biggest motivation for me to learn English. Besides, news freedom is not doing very good in China. I could know other perspectives from reading English material. I am a web developer, I do use English for searching technique information I need. But I don't have chances to speak in my work.

I like running, hiking, reading and watching American TV series. I am not sure if I will learn another language, it needs so much time to master a language. By the way, could you always know why they were laughing when you were watching Seinfeld. Sometimes I was confused. I enjoy this show, I think I can watch the same episode again and again, and don't feel bored, which won't be the case when watching other shows.

Could you upload a volcano picture you took in Indonesia this week? :-)
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sat May 27, 2017 5:33 am

27th, May

I haven't updated my English log here for a while. I am still using 英语流利说 and 百词斩 to practice my spoken English and build my vocabulary every day. Recently, I begin to read Atlantic https://www.theatlantic.com articles, they are great! Though there are many new words for me, I can enjoy the article without clearly understanding these new words. I am not sure if I should write down these new words, it seems a lot of work to do, I think I should give it a try.

A while ago, I talked to a friend, he suggested me to think about study or work in a foreign country, it'll be a big motivation for learning learning English. I used to eager to go abroad, but somehow I lost my motivation.

I went to English salon holding by a library here last night. I have been absent for weeks, grad that I attended and learned some English poem knowledge last night.
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt

Postby Adrianslont » Sat May 27, 2017 6:55 am

IMG_8004.JPG

Hi Batur. I've been busy travelling this last week, changing hotels every day and doing a lot of sightseeing. I've been too busy to post on the forum but now I'm not moving for the next nine days and intend to take it easier.

Here's a photo of an Indonesian volcano for you. It's the most active volcano in Indonesia and one of the most active in the world. It's an impressive sight.

Yes, I "get" all of the humour in Seinfeld but I can imagine it is difficult for someone who is not a native speaker of English. If you enjoy it, keep watching! There are so many series to watch! I love how the show makes fun of the weaknesses of all of the main characters. It's a good lesson to us all IMHO.

Cheers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

Postby Batur » Sun May 28, 2017 5:12 pm

Adrianslont wrote:
Hi Batur. I've been busy travelling this last week, changing hotels every day and doing a lot of sightseeing. I've been too busy to post on the forum but now I'm not moving for the next nine days and intend to take it easier.

Here's a photo of an Indonesian volcano for you. It's the most active volcano in Indonesia and one of the most active in the world. It's an impressive sight.

Yes, I "get" all of the humour in Seinfeld but I can imagine it is difficult for someone who is not a native speaker of English. If you enjoy it, keep watching! There are so many series to watch! I love how the show makes fun of the weaknesses of all of the main characters. It's a good lesson to us all IMHO.

Cheers.

Hi, Adrianslont

Nice picture! did you just watch it from there, or did you come closer? There is much smoke, isn't it harmful if you breath it?

I know Seinfeld from people's recommendation, they said they had watched them several times. Did you also watch them more than one time? I am trying to "get" humor of the show, I am not sure if it's just language barrier, or maybe it's about culture. Humor should be universe, right? BTW, have you watched stand-up comedy in person before? what do you think of it?

I am not very busy recently, but I feel motiveless. Really need to cheer up! Thanks your sharing of volcano picture again.

Best wishes!
0 x

Batur
Yellow Belt

29th, May Log

Postby Batur » Sun May 28, 2017 5:28 pm

29th, May

I read Bill Gate's blog today. After reading this blog https://www.gatesnotes.com/About-Bill-Gates/Summer-Books-2017, I found the book Born a Crime: Stories From a South African Childhood. I have never watched Trevor Noah show before, but I read sever pages, and I think it's my dish. So I am going to read it. And I plan to take some new words I encounter.

In the eastern of China, we don't have much diverse culture. Han is the absolutely majority. I have watched some movies about apartheid and racism. This kind of movie always make me think deeply. Sometimes I would think, what if I were in their positions, what could I do? Will I be different from them?

Haowei and I went running in the park tonight. We ran pretty fast, I felt exhausted. There should be three days off for the Dragon Boat festival. But because of the company's policy, I have to work this weekend. And we can have a rest only on Dragon Boat day.

Vocabulary

apartheid
faction
animosity
at odds
stark
futility
nimble
fester
1 x

Return to “Language logs”