Pfiffikus' Side Project: Japanese, Mandarin and German

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Pfiffikus
Languages: German (N), English (B2), French (B1), Japanese (lower intermediate), Mandarin Chinese (beginner)

Pfiffikus' Side Project: Japanese, Mandarin and German

Postby Pfiffikus » Mon May 01, 2017 3:12 pm

I used to study several languages by myself (and partly in school) until a couple of years ago, always hopping from one language to another, that caught my interest just then. In the end I didn't make much progress in any of them and finally I stopped completely. During the last months I realised, though, that I miss learning languages. So, here I am, giving it another try – in the busiest time of my life, but who cares ...

I'm currently doing a vocational training, which I will finish at the end of August next year, if everything goes according to plan. As I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do or where I'm going to be afterwards, I'll only make plans until that time. Which means, 16 months. During that time I want to pick up Japanese again, that I used to study by myself until several years ago, learn Mandarin Chinese basically from scratch and study German.

Japanese
Goal: 100 hours studying
Current level: about JLPT N3?
16 months seem like a lot of time. But as I'm pretty busy with my training and just life in general, I'll only set myself the goal of studying 100 hours. Those 100 hours are for studying only, hence excluding mere media consumption like reading or watching TV. I'll still read and watch youtube etc., but it won't count towards my goal of 100 hours. I want to use that time to study mostly grammar and kanji.

Mandarin
Goal: 100 hours studying
Current level: just beginning to learn it
The conditions are basically the same as for Japanese, just on a beginners level.

German
Goal: expand my vocabulary by 500 words, and a general improvement in all aspects of the language
Current level: Native :)
In case you're wondering, yes, I'm a native speaker of German and I want to improve my command of my own language. I'm quite aware of my weaker areas (mostly vocabulary and pronunciation) and I really want to work on those.
During the last years I have amassed dozens of slips of paper with words that I don't know, with the intention of looking them up and learning them later. Well, I never really did. Now, I think, it's time to change that. I'll aim for 500 words – that's a bit more than one word for every day of the 16 months, and quite a lot of words considering how obscure and rare some of them are.
I'll also work on my pronunciation, mostly in order be able to switch more easily from dialect to “Hochdeutsch”, but also to speak clearer and stop stumbling over my own tongue.

English
I didn't explicitly mention that I'm studying English, because, well, I don't. It's more like I'm practising English by writing in English, reading English books and watching TV in English. I'll still make an effort to improve it, though, mostly by expanding my vocabulary.

And now I'm hoping, that no other language crosses my path during the next 16 months, demanding to be learned :)
1 x

Return to “Language logs”