[JP/NL] Aardbei Koekjes - EarthBerry's language log!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
EarthBerry
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (B2) and Dutch (Beginner)

[JP/NL] Aardbei Koekjes - EarthBerry's language log!

Postby EarthBerry » Mon May 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Hello / Hoi / こんにちは!

I hope this is okay! I've read over the FAQ and forum rules. I hope I'm not overstepping, but I was very keen to get started! Moderators, I am at your mercy... :)

I'm new to the forum, but I was a longtime lurker back on HTLAL. I've always been fascinated by the idea of a language log, and since I've been doing something similar on Instagram, I figured I'd finally take the leap, sign up here and get one started! Also, with it being the beginning of a new month, it'd be almost rude to not start something new :D

I'm EarthBerry, I'm 24 and I'm from England. My language log will focus on my language learning trials and tribulations. I'll be focusing on Japanese and Dutch, although I have been flirting with the idea of Swedish... maybe, someday.

Where I am at currently...

Japanese
I've been studying Japanese for about ~13 years. I've studied independently and I must admit, it has been very on-and-off. You'd think since I've studied from such a young age, I'd be pretty good by now, right? Well... :lol: I would say my reading/listening skills are sitting quite comfortably at C1. However, my writing and speaking skills are sitting somewhat unsteadily on B1/B2. If I'm being generous, it's more B2. I'm at the level where I can comfortably read a Japanese book (I may have to consult with a dictionary on the more less common words), I can follow a TV programme/drama/film/podcast/radio show without much trouble, understanding (on a good day) around 70-80%. I can hold a conversation with a native speaker, but I'm not all too confident in my pronunciation and may fumble around for words at times. I can confidently write about topics, can do appropriate research if it's on a subject I'm not too sure about and rewrite the information in my own words, however I do struggle with grammar.

Dutch
This one is easy (and I don't mean the language!). I started roughly about a 1-2 months ago. My boyfriend is Dutch, and I will admit he has been a huge driving force in my studies. As a long-time language nerd, it is also a delight having a good, tangible reason to study a language (rather than thinking of excuses... "You don't get it! I just need to spend the evening studying the Greek alphabet for, well... reasons!" :lol: ). I digress. After a recent visit to the Netherlands, it ignited my love for the country and the language. Dutch people are fantastic, and were nothing but welcoming on my visit. I'm lucky that through my boyfriend, I have a few Dutch people I can practice with, and ask questions. As I have just begun, I am very much a beginner. I don't think I'm even worthy enough to say I'm A1 :) But, hopefully over the coming months, that will improve.

My Goals
Since I'm very gifted in writing a lot about nothing, I'll bullet-point this part.

Japanese
[*]Improve my writing and speaking [B2->C1]
[*] Use the 新完全マスターN2 books I graciously received from a very good friend. Although I have no plans (as of now) to actually take the JLPT, it's a good, structured way to study, and should improve my writing skill.
[*] Talk with natives more, I'm lucky I have a lot of access to native speakers via the internet and a local Japanese group that often gather to practice English and Japanese.
[*]By 01/05/2018, have read all the Japanese novels and manga in my back-log.
[*]By 01/05/2018, complete two to three Japanese video games.

...and that is it, for now. I plan to adjust and add more goals as I see fit. Who knows where my language learning adventure will take me.

Dutch
[*]Improve all skills. [0->B2]
[*]Complete Teach Yourself Dutch. [Unit 05/16 as of writing this post]. - May be cheating here a little since I'm already underway with this ;)
[*]Read one Dutch book. [Harry Potter en de Steen der Wijzen] - Might be impossible at B2 level, but I like a challenge.

Nothing too fancy, or too hard for now. Like I wrote above, they are subject to change.

That is that. Or dat is dat. Or ではでは。

Before I continue to talk your (virtual) ears off, I'll end it here. I look forward to updating you all with my weird and wonderful attempts at language learning. I'd love to chat with people who are learning Japanese or Dutch, too!

~ EarthBerry
9 x
Please feel free to correct any mistakes!
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

EarthBerry
White Belt

Re: [JP/NL] Aardbei Koekjes - EarthBerry's language log!

Postby EarthBerry » Mon May 01, 2017 4:34 pm

Day 1

So, it all began today. I took a generous hour out of the day to sign up here and waffle on in the above post but I have spent most some of today knuckling down to some studying!

Dutch

- Teach Yourself Dutch Unit 5 completed
Covered giving and receiving directions, more on moeten / willen, inverted sentences & adding -de/ste to cardinal numbers (or just e. e.g 12e). I learned that when using a modal verb, such as moeten and willen, along with a verb like hebben or gaan (maybe only these two, actually), one admits hebben or gaan. For example, Ik moet naar school (gaan). Ik wil een kat (hebben). Interesting!

- Purchased De Kleine Prins from the Amazon Kindle Store.
It's a bilingual version! I couldn't resist. Impulse buy. I'm still working out how to include this in my studies going forward. Possibly a page a day? Will report back.

- 10 minutes of a Dutch Youtube video.
Boyfriend introduced me to a Dutch Let's Play duo, Lekker Spelen. It's chock-full of slang, but some of their videos have English subtitles and are absolutely hilarious. I watch them with my boyfriend, and he likes to quote the especially funny lines, and I often try to mimic him :lol:. I'm really enjoying their Resident Evil 7 series, and watched their first video (40m) with English subtitles. Unfortunately, their other videos (deel 2, 3 and 4) have yet to be subbed! I like to have them on in the background though, as I find my ears adjusting more and more to the 'sounds' of Dutch. If I manage to make out a phrase or a word, I try and repeat it to my boyfriend, who will clarify the pronunciation/spelling and meaning.

Japanese

- Read 5 pages from 『また、同じ夢を見ていた』
Great book so far from the author 住野よる. It seems to follow a young girl and her best friend, who turns out to be a cat. The young girl is wise beyond her years, and spends her evenings with the cat and a young woman. I'm only 17 pages in, but it is really easy to read. A lot of it is dialogue, so it's very easy to follow. I've had this book for a while now... almost, a year, and never got around to reading it. If I'm to add insult to injury, it's been sitting on my nightstand since I ordered it. Some sort of ritual in hopes I wake up one day, see it, and muster the motivation to read it. That day finally came (two days ago, eek!), and I'm regretting not picking it up sooner! I'm not so much 'studying' it as I am reading it. I have around 99.8% comprehension on each page I've read so far, so I'm not going through and picking it apart. I might do that on a re-read. If I come across a word I don't know and it pops up more than 2x, I note it down. But for now, it's a very enjoyable read, and is enforcing grammar and vocabulary.

- Watched too much Attack on Titan Season 1 [15/25 episodes]
I probably can't call this active study since, well, it's not. I watch it purely for entertainment. My boyfriend is watching it for the first time so for the sake of 'training' my ears, I've been watching it with him. It's not my first rodeo, though. I've watched it many times, so much so that I can confidently quote the opening dialogue. 「その日、人類は思い出した・・・。」... I'll save you all the rest. However, I'd be lying if I said it doesn't help. I like to ignore the English subtitles and focus purely on the Japanese dialogue. I've impressed myself as I find myself being able to understand a lot of the scenes even when I'm not focusing on the TV. Motivating and reassuring.

- General internet browsing. Instagram, Twitter, news websites.
When I'm on my phone, I would say I look at about 50% English media and 50% Japanese media. My twitter is 80% Japanese (Friends and general following of native speakers with similar interests), Instagram is the same as Twitter, Youtube I flick between English and Japanese videos and I often read the odd article on a Japanese website. It's quite hard to condense what I actually do since... I'm not sure myself. I browse whatever seems good :lol: But, exposure is exposure.

- Wrote a small paragraph in Japanese on Instagram.
I have a "studygram" (an Instagram account where I only post about my studies). I update it almost every day. I post a picture of what I've studied, and write a small paragraph in Japanese about what I did (like a language-log!). I also try to write a small sentence in Dutch. I fortunately have a lot of Japanese followers so I'm hoping this invites them to comment, thus I can get a few conversations going.

How tomorrow is looking...
* Chapter 1 of 新完全マスター語彙 & 文法
* 1 page of De Kleine Prins
* 5 - 10 pages of また、同じ夢を見ていた
* At least 30-60 mins of listening to Japanese (Youtube to the rescube! Or maybe a drama on Netflix.)
* At least 30 mins of listening to Dutch (Youtube)
* Practice the conversations in Teach Yourself Dutch with boyfriend
* If I don't start Unit 06 of TYD tonight, I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe Unit 07 if time and energy permits.
* Write a small paragraph in Japanese on Instagram
* Write 1-2 sentences in Dutch on Instagram

Let's see how much of that I actually do... :|

~EarthBerry
0 x
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

guiguixx1
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English (C2), Dutch (C1), Spanish (C1), Italian (B2), Esperanto (A2), Portuguese (B2), German (A2), Catalan (passively)

Postby guiguixx1 » Mon May 01, 2017 5:22 pm

If you ever need some references and links for Dutch, you can find some here (these are ressources I have gathered the past few months) : https://guillaumelp.wordpress.com/2016/ ... erlandais/ To this list, I can add these:
38. http://www.dutchreader.com/ : pour lire des articles
39. http://docnederlands.skynetblogs.be/
40. http://ans.ruhosting.nl/e-ans/index.html : explication sur la grammaire avancée
41. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD8Tlx ... zhw/videos : chaine youtube de Het Taalbad : bcp de compréhensions à l’audition très courtes
42. https://www.youtube.com/user/tvklasse/videos : chaine youtube de Klasse, proposant des reportages courts sur l’enseignement en Flandres
43. https://www.youtube.com/user/FcKampioenenFans/videos : chaine youtube de Kampioenen Reeks : épisodes (avec sous titres) de la très célèbre série tv flamande FC de Kampioenen
44. http://www.radioviainternet.be/radio-1 : radio néerlandophone (Radio één) en ligne et live
45. www.nlfacile.com
46. « learn dutch phrases & words » : app
47. https://quizlet.com/193360040/gram-a2-e ... ash-cards/
48. http://www.bruzz.be/nl plein de matos pour pratiquer, tourne autour de bxl
49. http://www.csgn.be/langues/5eNL/Zinnig%20Woord_revu.pdf voc K1 avec traductions et exemples
50. https://www.betekenis.be/
51. https://quizlet.com/193360040/gram-a2-e ... ash-cards/ : phrases avec « er »
52. http://ans.ruhosting.nl/e-ans/index.html : bcp d’explications sur la grammaire (noms, conjonctions,…)
53. https://apps.nrc.nl/stijlboek/ : explications sur l’ortho, des expressions, …..
54. https://www.duolingo.com/comment/3732817: lien Duolingo avec des dizaines de liens de toute nature
1 x
Language learning and teaching website as a French teacher of Dutch and English: cameleondeslangues.be

EarthBerry
White Belt

Postby EarthBerry » Mon May 01, 2017 6:53 pm

guiguixx1 wrote:snip

Fantastic! Thank you so much! I think my task for tonight is to work through this list :D
1 x
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Wed May 03, 2017 11:42 am

Succes met het Nederlands! Vergelijkt met het Japans is het veel makkelijker :)
0 x

EarthBerry
White Belt

Postby EarthBerry » Wed May 03, 2017 12:33 pm

Tristano wrote:Succes met het Nederlands! Vergelijkt met het Japans is het veel makkelijker :)

Dank je wel! Dat klopt :lol:

I feel I've hit a plateau with Japanese, so it is somewhat refreshing being at the beginner level in a language, where everything is easy and simple ... :) For how long will it last, I wonder :D
1 x
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Wed May 03, 2017 1:37 pm

Welcome! I might return to Japanese in the future (currently I'm working on French). It sounds like AoT is your favorite anime?
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

EarthBerry
White Belt

Postby EarthBerry » Wed May 03, 2017 7:30 pm

Xenops wrote:Welcome! I might return to Japanese in the future (currently I'm working on French). It sounds like AoT is your favorite anime?

Thanks for the welcome! AoT is one of my favourites, I guess! Fate/Zero and Fate Stay/Night are probably my top favourites. I just got finished watching all of AoT season 1, and I remembered season 2 is out! Lots of binge-watching listening practice :lol: Let me know if you go back to Japanese! I'd love to follow your progress.
1 x
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

EarthBerry
White Belt

Postby EarthBerry » Sat May 06, 2017 3:41 pm

My first update! It's been 6 days since I began this log, so I guess it's a good time to update. I think I'll probably leave about ~7 days between updates, unless I really have something to share (small successes, interesting happenings and so on). But for now, every 7 days is a good pace. Actually allows things to happen and gives me stuff to write about... :) I'm still trying to find a 'style' so please bare with me over these next few weeks! Each update might be different to the last :lol:

-

In my last update, I wrote a little star-point list outlining my goals for Tuesday. It didn't go exactly has planned as I had family over, but let's see what I did do over the week at least.

* Chapter 1 of 新完全マスター語彙 & 文法
* 1 page of De Kleine Prins
* 5 - 10 pages of また、同じ夢を見ていた
* At least 30-60 mins of listening to Japanese (Youtube to the rescube! Or maybe a drama on Netflix.)
* At least 30 mins of listening to Dutch (Youtube)
* Practice the conversations in Teach Yourself Dutch with boyfriend
* If I don't start Unit 06 of TYD tonight, I'll do that tomorrow. Maybe Unit 07 if time and energy permits.
* Write a small paragraph in Japanese on Instagram
* Write 1-2 sentences in Dutch on Instagram

Not too shabby :D

Dutch
Teach Yourself Dutch: 7 / 16 (7/16)
Harry Potter en De Steen der Wijzen chapters: 0 / 17 (0/17)

Languages isn't the only thing I'm learning this week... ;) I took about 5 minutes to learn how to get these very neat progress bars. Great addition! Helps me keep an eye on my progress as well as making my log a little more neat.

Dutch has been going great. As I was busy on Tuesday with family I couldn't complete Unit 06 but I managed to do about 50% of it in the morning, then I finished it on Wednesday. I started and finished Unit 07 today. Considering doing Unit 08 later today, we shall see how it goes.
I've been practicing more and more with my boyfriend, mainly me just trying out what I've learned with him. On Wednesday, I surprised myself when he asked me, "Wil je melk?" (he was about to make me a cup of tea), and I replied instantly "Jep". :shock: Replying "jep" is easy, but the fact that I knew exactly what he had said (even though it's a terribly simple sentence) and that my brain didn't go, "Hey, wait, that's not English..." and instead just replied, impressed me. I don't think he realised what had happened as, satisfied with the answer, he trotted off to go make me my cup of tea with milk. Succes :D
Since then, we've been slipping in the odd Dutch word in our conversations. He also seems more comfortable and/or less awkward using it with me now that I'm actually beginning to get a grasp of the language. I now ask for "een kopje thee", also we had a little conversation in Dutch where he mainly spoke to me in Dutch, which I surprisingly understood... then I somehow replied in a mix of English and Dutch. "Dat is mooi" was about the longest sentence I could muster at the time, but it was fun, and it's nice to use what I'm learning.
His parents have even been asking how my studies are going. I'm prepared to get a mini-quiz from them when we're next in Nederland :lol: When I first met them, I had very little to no understanding of Dutch. Thankfully, they speak good English, so apart from the usual awkwardness of meeting the parents, we were able to communicate somewhat well. I felt bad though, and a little guilty that they had to use English so much... :oops: Even at the dinner table, they made the effort to talk in English even when the conversation didn't directly include me. If anything, it strengthened my resolve to learn Dutch. Especially after meeting my boyfriends grandparents who, bless their hearts, could not speak a lick of English... and there was me, equally unable to speak Dutch (although by that point I had picked up the very basics from immersion :P ) - even though we had an obvious language barrier, they were exceptional hosts! I felt right at home, and I actually look forward to seeing them again, and hopefully impressing them with my newly founded language skills.

For listening practice, I listened/watched another "deel" of Lekker Spelen's Resident Evil playthrough, and while working listened to ~30 mins of a podcast titled "Met Nerds om Tafel". I'm slowly beginning to pick up words and very short sentences, and sometimes even manage to make out words I might not know but I write them down and look them up later. Since I'm a confident A0 in Dutch, I'm probably putting the cart before the horse by listening to advanced audio, but each time I listen I find myself getting more and more accustomed to the sound and rhythm of Dutch, so it can't hurt to continue :lol: The podcasts help time go faster at work, and the Youtube videos are a good way to kill time/relax. I'm not expecting to see amazing results so soon, but hopefully I will reap it's rewards later on in my studies.

I ventured into Harry Potter today. Again, I'm 210% aware that is way above my level, however I'm taking it incredibly slow. I did the first two paragraphs of chapter 1 today. I copied them out and highlighted the words I didn't know. Surprisingly, there wasn't a lot of words I didn't already know... :D Plus, I got a lot of new words to add to whatever SRS program I finally decide to use (Memrise or Anki? Answers on a postcard!), for example "zijn er trots op" (to be proud (of)), geheimzinnigs (mysterious - correct me if I'm wrong), gezet (fat), bijna (almost), snor (mustache), gluren (to peek) and so on. Completely random and unrelated words but I'll be sticking them in a Harry Potter specific deck and will review them every now and then to keep it fresh. Learning with just a textbook gets a little tedious, so it's nice to have small breaks and venture into native material.

As for Teach Yourself... gaat heel goed :D It's increasing in difficulty, the sentences are getting longer, the grammar is getting more indepth... and I'm loving it! I covered time, and how to buy train/bus tickets today. Dutch time is a great thing. In the early days of our relationship, time was often a confusing thing for us. "Half 7" to me was 7:30, but to my boyfriend, it was 6:30. Fortunately it didn't cause any catastrophes but the small misunderstandings were funny. I used to tell him I got up at "half 5", and he always sympathised, thinking I was waking up at 4:30 for work... :lol: He was still sympathetic when he realised it was 5:30, though! It was nice to finally learn how to tell the time in detail. It'll avoid any future misunderstandings, too :P

I also managed to write a small paragraph on my Instagram study update today. It was correct (I asked my boyfriend to check it AFTER I wrote it - I didn't cheat!) and I feel quite good, so for bragging rights ( :lol: ), I'll post it here too: "Vandaag ga ik naar bibliotheek met mijn vriend. Het weer is goed. Ik wil iets kopen... wat het is, ik weet nog niet...". Poetry, I know :roll: But, practice is practice! Any output is good... right? :oops:

Japanese
Mata, onaji yume o miteita: 22 / 227 (22/227)
Shinkanzen masutaa goi and bunpou: 0 / 50 (0/50) (I actually haven't worked out many chapters they both are so I'll put 50 as a placeholder...)
It's kind of hard to keep track of what I do in Japanese since it's apart of my daily life and I use it quite often, so for now just going to keep track of workbooks/novels.

I finished re-watching Attack on Titan with my boyfriend, a whole 25 episodes worth of listening practice ;) Great timing as the new season has just came out and so watched another 5 episodes on Wednesday morning. I made myself laugh on Wednesday because a character said something (おい、ブス!Hey, ugly!) which I found entertaining so I laughed and said it out-loud expecting my boyfriend to understand and laugh with me. He obviously just read the English subtitle (which probably said the same thing) but he kind of just smiled, probably wondering what on earth I'd just said out-loud. I explained I just instinctively repeated the character and that's when he really laughed! He does it all the time when we watch Dutch videos. Even if we have English subtitles on, sometimes certain lines just sound funnier in the source language, and he often laughs and repeats sentences and expects me to laugh with him :lol: It's funny, especially now I know how he feels, and in reverse, he knows how I feel :)

I read a lot of Twitter and Instagram, chatted with Japanese friends (text chat mainly), wrote long updates on Instagram in Japanese and made some progress with my book. I'm on page 22 and it is very easy to read. It's from the perspective of a young girl so it is very simple language, but it's also very eloquent and nice to read. I decided to note down the words I wasn't too familiar with and/or knew the meaning but not the reading, mainly filling gaps in my knowledge. Just for some reinforcement, I'll list today's words...

規則 - I knew this word, I knew it's meaning, I just couldn't remember the reading... :|
歩道 - Embarrassingly I'd never encountered this word before... I would use 道 :? , and I guess so would the rest of Japan :lol: , but I still noted it down.
健気 - New word.
かきわける - New word.
河川敷 - New word.
うずくまる - New word.
包帯 - Knew the meaning but I couldn't remember the reading.

and that was it! The language really isn't too complex, and the book has a really nice atmosphere and very easy to follow. I'm interested to see how the story progresses.

The week isn't over yet, and after this post I'm planning to get to work on the Shin Kanzen books. Maybe after completing the first chapter, I may have a look at TY Dutch Unit 08. Then, I'll take the evening to relax, and let it all soak in.

-

Congratulations if you read this far :lol:

How next week is looking...

* Complete the first page of Harry Potter en De Steen der Wijzen
* Complete Chapter 2 of Shin Kanzen Goi & Bunpou
* Read 10 more pages of また、同じ夢を見ている
* 2 hours of listening to Japanese media
* 1 hour of listening to Dutch medica
* Reach Unit 10 of TYD
* Continue writing short passages in Dutch and Japanese on IG
* Practice conversations in Dutch with boyfriend

:D
1 x
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Sat May 06, 2017 7:59 pm

1 uur luisteren naar Nederlandse media... :shock: succes :)
0 x

Return to “Language logs”