Sol's New Russian & Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: Sol's New Russian & Korean Log

Postby AndyMeg » Tue May 16, 2017 2:34 pm

Sol wrote:Also just to add, Viki has a feature where they display the subs in both English and Korean so you can read along and even click on the words to learn more. It's a pretty cool study feature!

I didn't know! Thanks!

A few months ago I noticed they started doing that for chinese, but I didn't know if/when they would implement it for korean as well. These are great news! (I'll have to rethink my current study plan)
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Sol
Orange Belt
Languages: (N) Bulgarian, English
Learning: Greek, Korean
Future: French, Italian, Russian
Paused: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18342

Postby Sol » Tue May 16, 2017 5:56 pm

AndyMeg wrote:
Sol wrote:Also just to add, Viki has a feature where they display the subs in both English and Korean so you can read along and even click on the words to learn more. It's a pretty cool study feature!

I didn't know! Thanks!

A few months ago I noticed they started doing that for chinese, but I didn't know if/when they would implement it for korean as well. These are great news! (I'll have to rethink my current study plan)

Isn't Chinese TV subbed in both English and Chinese by default? Something to do with different dialects being able to understand the same writing but not the same words. It's a really recent feature though, I was so happy when I found out Korean had it as I'd been looking for something like that for ages. Made me cave in and buy a pass :D

I'm off to binge-watch some shows and do some studying! At this rate I'm getting about 1 hour of study a day and 3-4 hours of drama watching listening practice. :lol: Seriously though I'm picking up a lot of words and sometimes read the subs before the actors say the words and guess what they're going to say. It's great positive reinforcement when you get it correct.
Last edited by Sol on Tue May 16, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
Korean
TTMIK: 45 / 305 (45/305 lessons)
SC22-23 Books: 3 / 5000 (3/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 2260 / 9000 (2260/9000 minutes)

Greek
SC22-23 Books: 22 / 5000 (22/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Tue May 16, 2017 6:04 pm

Sol wrote:it's available for the more popular ones like 도깨비 yeah

That's interesting. Here 도깨비 is region blocked by Viki, but I see the only subs listed are partial english subs.
Sol wrote:Isn't Chinese TV subbed in both English and Chinese by default?!

Chinese hard subs only for most shows.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Tue May 16, 2017 6:12 pm

leosmith wrote:
Sol wrote:it's available for the more popular ones like 도깨비 yeah

That's interesting. Here 도깨비 is region blocked by Viki, but I see the only subs listed are partial english subs.
Sol wrote:Isn't Chinese TV subbed in both English and Chinese by default?!

Chinese hard subs only for most shows.

Maybe they're not listed as subs? Viki calls it Learn Mode. It's a shame how so many shows are region blocked. Dramafever is even worse, everything seems to be unavailable for UK viewers, which is why I went with Viki. You can use the Hola extension to view those blocked shows, it's what I'm doing with The K2.
0 x
Korean

Greek

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Tue May 16, 2017 6:21 pm

Sol wrote:Maybe they're not listed as subs? Viki calls it Learn Mode.

Are these real subs, or are they auto-generated?

Sol wrote:You can use the Hola extension to view those blocked shows, it's what I'm doing with The K2.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try it out! Viki is absolutely terrible here unfortunately. It used to be really good, but now it's super slow and vast portions of it's material have been removed and/or region blocked. That's why I'm using Dramafever, but even that is only good for Korean. Other country selections are very limited.
0 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Tue May 16, 2017 6:41 pm

leosmith wrote:
Sol wrote:Maybe they're not listed as subs? Viki calls it Learn Mode.

Are these real subs, or are they auto-generated?

Sol wrote:You can use the Hola extension to view those blocked shows, it's what I'm doing with The K2.

Thanks for the tip - I'll try it out! Viki is absolutely terrible here unfortunately. It used to be really good, but now it's super slow and vast portions of it's material have been removed and/or region blocked. That's why I'm using Dramafever, but even that is only good for Korean. Other country selections are very limited.

They're real subs, hence why only the most popular shows have them (for now).

Hmm, Viki is good in the UK with some blocked shows, but Dramafever is horrible for UK viewers -- practically everything is blocked. So it seems to be the opposite for US viewers!

The Hola extension is actually pretty quick. I'm still able to watch the shows in HD without any lag.
0 x
Korean

Greek

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Tue May 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Sol wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:

I didn't know! Thanks!

Isn't Chinese TV subbed in both English and Chinese by default? Something to do with different dialects being able to understand the same writing but not the same words. It's a really recent feature though, I was so happy when I found out Korean had it as I'd been looking for something like that for ages. Made me cave in and buy a pass :D

Yeah, Chinese TV usually comes with hardsubs because of the different dialects, but I was especifically talking about the "learning mode" that lets you see the meaning of each word. They were beta testing it a few months ago.
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Wed May 17, 2017 6:32 am

AndyMeg wrote:
Sol wrote:Isn't Chinese TV subbed in both English and Chinese by default? Something to do with different dialects being able to understand the same writing but not the same words. It's a really recent feature though, I was so happy when I found out Korean had it as I'd been looking for something like that for ages. Made me cave in and buy a pass :D

Yeah, Chinese TV usually comes with hardsubs because of the different dialects, but I was especifically talking about the "learning mode" that lets you see the meaning of each word. They were beta testing it a few months ago.

Ohh now that you mention it I do remember reading something about that feature some months ago and hoping they would have it for Korean eventually! That's pretty cool they've managed to finish it so quickly, considering Viki subbers don't even get paid.
0 x
Korean

Greek

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Wed May 17, 2017 2:26 pm

I just took an online proficiency test and apparently I am on the edge of A1 & A2 for Korean!

I can definitely understand some stuff now rather than just words here and there. Sometimes I'll get a (very...very very) simple sentence from a Korean instagram account or something. I can also write simple sentences. I think I'm focusing more on grammar and less so on vocab though. My idea is to keep working on the grammar since the guide I'm using is grammar-focused, and eventually I'll be able to plug in the vocab I'm getting through dramas/random online browsing.

If anyone has a good CEFR-based online proficiency test please send it my way!

I am also consuming an obscene amount of dramas. It's embarrassing, it's all I do :oops: :lol: I wonder how long it'll take me to actually understand them without subs if I continue learning at this rate (~1hr studying a day).
0 x
Korean

Greek

Oscard587
Yellow Belt
Languages: Korean (Native)
English (A2)
Russian (Beginner)

-Turkish, Polish, French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5866

Postby Oscard587 » Wed May 17, 2017 5:16 pm

Sol wrote:I just took an online proficiency test and apparently I am on the edge of A1 & A2 for Korean!

I can definitely understand some stuff now rather than just words here and there. Sometimes I'll get a (very...very very) simple sentence from a Korean instagram account or something. I can also write simple sentences. I think I'm focusing more on grammar and less so on vocab though. My idea is to keep working on the grammar since the guide I'm using is grammar-focused, and eventually I'll be able to plug in the vocab I'm getting through dramas/random online browsing.

If anyone has a good CEFR-based online proficiency test please send it my way!

I am also consuming an obscene amount of dramas. It's embarrassing, it's all I do :oops: :lol: I wonder how long it'll take me to actually understand them without subs if I continue learning at this rate (~1hr studying a day).

Well done!
However, I assume that you will need a lot of time to understand watch it without subs, I mean, in drama they use some kind of colloquial Korean that won't be represented in Korean resources.
Or maybe not, one thing I noticed recently is... when I was doing language exchange there were some people who learned Korean really faster than expected and become fluent soon. But they didn't told me how they learned Korean, mystery.
0 x
Just because I accept the inevitability of my fate, does not mean I am in any hurry to embrace it!

Mais l'important n’est pas la chute, c’est l’atterrissage.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam.

Return to “Language logs”