Sol's New Russian & Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Sol
Orange Belt
Languages: (N) Bulgarian, English
Learning: Greek, Korean
Future: French, Italian, Russian
Paused: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18342

Re: Sol's New Russian & Korean Log

Postby Sol » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 pm

Elenia wrote:Hi Sol! Have you considered a TESOL course? Would there be programs that allow you to teach if you have a TESOL/TEFL course already in hand?

I think you need a bachelor's degree even if you are TESOL/TEFL certified. From this site:

Three things are required to teach English in Korea. First, you will need TESOL certification. That can be accomplished through our wonderful programs at the American TESOL Institute. In just two weeks time, you can be ready for you first assignment. Secondly, to teach English in Korea, you will need a visa. At American TESOL, we can sponsor your application. Finally, you will need an undergraduate degree. Other countries require only a high school degree, but not so in Korea.

All sites I've seen say that you need a bachelor's at least. Though this site says this:

Unless you have a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Education OR a teaching license you will need to become TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certified to qualify for the Teach in Korea program.

But I don't know if it's just talking about their program as opposed to teaching in Korea in general.
0 x
Korean
TTMIK: 45 / 305 (45/305 lessons)
SC22-23 Books: 3 / 5000 (3/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 2260 / 9000 (2260/9000 minutes)

Greek
SC22-23 Books: 22 / 5000 (22/5000 pages)
SC22-23 Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 minutes)

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue May 23, 2017 6:44 pm

Sol wrote:
Elenia wrote:Hi Sol! Have you considered a TESOL course? Would there be programs that allow you to teach if you have a TESOL/TEFL course already in hand?

I think you need a bachelor's degree even if you are TESOL/TEFL certified. From this site:

Three things are required to teach English in Korea. First, you will need TESOL certification. That can be accomplished through our wonderful programs at the American TESOL Institute. In just two weeks time, you can be ready for you first assignment. Secondly, to teach English in Korea, you will need a visa. At American TESOL, we can sponsor your application. Finally, you will need an undergraduate degree. Other countries require only a high school degree, but not so in Korea.

All sites I've seen say that you need a bachelor's at least. Though this site says this:

Unless you have a Bachelor’s or Master’s in Education OR a teaching license you will need to become TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) certified to qualify for the Teach in Korea program.

But I don't know if it's just talking about their program as opposed to teaching in Korea in general.

That seems like it's just that program, which is a shame. It's probably due to the aforementioned newfound popularity of S. Korea as a destination for young people. It might be worth looking into more unconventional options, like WOOFing if such a thing is possible? I hope that you work it out!
1 x

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Tue May 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Elenia wrote:That seems like it's just that program, which is a shame. It's probably due to the aforementioned newfound popularity of S. Korea as a destination for young people. It might be worth looking into more unconventional options, like WOOFing if such a thing is possible? I hope that you work it out!

Yep. I guess you can't blame them for wanting to make sure their teachers are serious. Education is really important in Korea so a bachelor's makes sense.

WWOOF Korea exists! Yay! Some of these places look really interesting. It's be a cool way to get to know Korean culture around eating, farming, spending time with the family. Seems more of a short term option, but I'm definitely gonna do it one day. I had a high school friend who's dream was to travel the world via WWOOFing indefinitely. I wonder how it's worked out!

Maybe I could look into making some Korean friends online so if one day I visit I could have a host, and more easily make connections to see if that leads to opportunities.
0 x
Korean

Greek

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Wed May 24, 2017 6:39 am

Echoing Elenia, you can work as an English teacher without a degree as long as you have CELTA or another TESOL qualification. However lots of places, particularly in Asia (based on my research) ask for a Bachelors. (Though they might take you when you apply, depending on how much they need someone). You may end up teaching all children though, because of your age. That was my experience in Russia anyway.
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Wed May 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Officially written through 1/3 of my new notebook. I've been marathoning Korean for the past few days and I'm kind of worried I'm going through so much content that my brain isn't processing it all, or it's too much at once, even though I have the time and I want to study a lot.

I've noticed myself starting to translate stuff people say. For example, I was thinking about the moment my friend told me he doesn't eat steak and suddenly "왜 안 먹어?" popped up in my head. :D I remember this happening when I was moving up the Spanish ladder. Some other random Korean words also pop up in my head throughout the day, randomly. Today I kept thinking "기분" and didn't know what it meant till I looked it up and realized it meant "emotion" and I'd remembered it from some show weeks ago.

Maybe some Koreans can chime in here -- how do you normally handwrite ㅎ and ㅊ? Like the left or right?

0 x
Korean

Greek

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Wed May 24, 2017 2:57 pm

MamaPata wrote:Echoing Elenia, you can work as an English teacher without a degree as long as you have CELTA or another TESOL qualification. However lots of places, particularly in Asia (based on my research) ask for a Bachelors. (Though they might take you when you apply, depending on how much they need someone). You may end up teaching all children though, because of your age. That was my experience in Russia anyway.

I might have a chance, I guess if I apply to a lot of places and seem enthusiastic and qualified (other than the bachelor's... :D). And that's fine by me, I think I'd prefer to teach young kids.

Oh and I wonder if I'd be at a disadvantage because of my British English rather than American English.
0 x
Korean

Greek

Sayonaroo
Green Belt
Languages: English(N), Japanese -fluent?, Korean - advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed May 24, 2017 3:34 pm

Like the left but you can write it like the right if you want.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BJHpLW1jo6m/?hl=en
I'm pretty sure most people write ㄹ in one stroke even though it's technically three. Like with any language writing system, eventually people get lazy and annoyed and do whatever is the easiest and fastest way to write
1 x

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Fri May 26, 2017 11:11 am

Just finished Unit 1! Did the lessons 17-25 mini test and got 8/11 which I guess isn't too bad. Will do the full unit 1 test later today, and then moving on to Unit 2 which is Lower-Intermediate Korean Grammar.

The last few lessons were on question words and how to say anything/nothing, anybody/nobody, before/after. For example, to change anybody to nobody, you replace 나 with 도.

아무: any
아무: anybody
아무: nobody

You also have to use a double negative if you're saying a negative sentence, which comes naturally to me as Bulgarian does the same thing.

I find Korean grammar to make so much sense. It's much more building-block-y than romance languages it seems, and even though there's a lot to think about (those particles lol) it's really logical.

I'm kind of starting to worry I'll lose the ability to hear what this language sounds like once I start understanding it more, like how native speakers of a language don't know what it sounds like to foreign ears. I don't want that to happen because it sounds so nice :(

PS. This is confusing... The lesson consistently separated the "아무" from the things like "때도" but in the test they were together like 아무데도. Is there a reason for this, or just some big mistake he made?
1 x
Korean

Greek

qeadz
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Korean (~A2)

Postby qeadz » Fri May 26, 2017 5:43 pm

Sol wrote:PS. This is confusing... The lesson consistently separated the "아무" from the things like "때도" but in the test they were together like 아무데도. Is there a reason for this, or just some big mistake he made?

I'd be interested in knowing what you find out from this too!

Strangely I learned these as 아무데나 (any place) and 아무 때나 (any time) - with the odd quirk that the former has no space but the latter does. However after reading your post I started looking for native materials and I am seeing BOTH with and without space in both of these cases!

There may be some official rule somewhere but it would appear that Koreans (assuming they are the sources of the sample sentences I am finding on Naver and the like) don't really know which to use.

I've noticed inconsistencies with spacing in corrections I have received. Not just with these words, but other cases too.
0 x

Sol
Orange Belt

Postby Sol » Sat May 27, 2017 2:34 pm

I got 20/25 on the Unit 1 test, surprised at how well it went actually. I was expecting to forget everything! I got all the listening correct, but more so because I picked up a few key words and not the entire sentence. I need more practice actually picking apart and understanding spoken Korean rather than just listening.

Otherwise, things are starting to tie together. My reading speed has increased.

Lesson 26 started off introducing ~는 것 which is apparently the most important grammatical principal, where you use verbs to describe nouns.

빨리 걷는 여자 - The girl who walks fast. (wouldn't it be better described as "fast-walking girl"? It would be a more familiar structure)

I was then thrown into putting clauses before ~는 것 and a mess of particles, like:

제가 보고 있는 영화는 재미있어요 - The movie I am watching is funny.

Not that difficult, really. But ~는 것 is supposed to have 4 massive lessons so who knows whether I'll be ripping my hair out tomorrow.

Also, look at how messy this sounds when translated literally:

저는 제가 자주 가는 곳에 가고 있어요 - I am going to the place I often go to.
I I often go place go -ing.

--

So yeah, generally really happy with how my progress is going except for my listening. I've been exclusively practicing Korean, and finding this to be best. When I tried to do it alongside other languages, I ended up burning out and dropping both for weeks. So I think I'll stick with only Korean for the time being.
0 x
Korean

Greek

Return to “Language logs”