Learning French to Study in France [Success]

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
-JM-
White Belt
Languages: Turkish (N), English (C2), French (B2)

Re: Learning French to Study in France

Postby -JM- » Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:46 pm

tomgosse wrote:
-JM- wrote:As of April 1:
- Grammaire Progressive Niveau intermédiaire: Finish one chapter per day. There are 52 chapters, I'll be done with it in May 22.
That looks solid I guess. I hope I can make it.

I have a copy of Grammaire Progressive Niveau Intermédiaire, and I think one chapter a day is quite aggressive. Especially when you have all the other things to do. I could not do a chapter a week. My hat is off to you and I wish you the best. :D

Thank you. :D I'm home literally all day and studying French is my sole responsibility, so I'll try to push myself a bit.
3 x

-JM-
White Belt

Postby -JM- » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:08 pm

First Week Report

- I did one Pimsleur a day. It actually got boring but I still learn from it, so I'll keep continue.
- I didn't finish Michel Thomas because I didn't want to go full counter-cold turkey suddenly. There is really no rush. There are four CDs left.
- I did one chapter of Grammaire Progressive a day. I really like the book.
- I did five chapters of Teach Yourself French. It is just great. He keeps you teaching different tenses one after another.
- I reviewed the twenty lessons I did in Assimil French with Ease, I didn't start the new lessons yet. However, I also started doing French without toil, did ten lessons. It seems good. I'll keep doing both of them. Btw, does Assimil really work? Is it a good technique?
- I did at least 100 cards a day in Lingvist and I'll keep going like that. Duolingo, I did a bit. I realized I don't like Memrise. Instead I'll use Quizlet and I'll take the words I don't know from Assimil. I'll write sentences instead of writing only words, but I'll write the word all caps. For example:
"J'ai laissé un repas dans la FRIGO."
1 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:57 pm

-JM- wrote:Btw, does Assimil really work? Is it a good technique?

The answer to that question will vary from user to user, but I think it is the best textbook out there. My reasons? 1) The emphasis on texts and audio. 2) 4 full CDs of audio, 100% in the target language. No other introductory course comes close. 3) The stories are interesting, odd and amusing, which keeps it interesting. 4) The language used is useful. Not "useful" as in help with checking in at the hotel, ordering dinner, and all the other tourist crap courses teach but which is never really useful because at the hotel or restaurant they will reply in English. No, but you will see phrases used in NFWE appear quite regularly when you start reading native books and listening to native audio.

The combination of courses you are using are quite good in my opinion, and if you stick with them you should make very good progress. However, I would add a large dose of listening every day. Spoken French is really difficult for students to understand, so the sooner you begin listening the better. Start with L'avis de Marie. http://www.podclub.ch/sendungen/l-avis-de-marie-f These are not "teaching" podcasts like Coffee Break French, but podcasts entirely in French for students learning French. They will probably be above your level, but listen carefully for the words that you do know. The podcasts are great because they are just about life and stuff, and so you will be introduced to a wide variety of interesting topics. The transcripts are available on the website, and the more recent ones have interactive transcripts which highlight the text along with the speaker if you listen on the website. Sadly, L'avis de Marie has come to an end after 157 episodes, but the same website has a new series called Balades http://www.podclub.ch/sendungen/balades-f.

When you feel like these podcasts are too easy for you, move on to podcasts designed for native French speakers.
3 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

-JM-
White Belt

Postby -JM- » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:28 pm

jeffers,

Thank you! L'avis de Marie looks great and I'm adding it to my routine starting tomorrow.
2 x

-JM-
White Belt

Postby -JM- » Sat May 06, 2017 10:13 pm

My stats are something like this now.

Duolingo: 39/80
Pimsleur: 66/150
Grammaire Progressive: 26/52
Teach Yourself French: 19/32
Michel Thomas: 14/14
Assimil FWT: 31/119
Assimil NFWE: 18/97

I bought Mastering French Vocabulary by Barrons and doing Anki with it. I was lingering for a couple of days. I need to get back to studying seriously again. I need some help/ideas for the listening. I listened to the first podcast of L'avis de Marie, then I decided that I should learn some more grammar before I get into it. I think I'm ready now, but I'm not sure how to get on with it.

Do I listen to one podcast till I understand it completely, then listen to another or should I listen to it two or three times then continue? Also is it too early for me to watch tv shows extensively? I believe I owe much of my English to it and I want to do it now for French if it makes sense.
1 x

-JM-
White Belt

Postby -JM- » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:35 am

I stopped logging my progress but now I'd like to talk about how it went.

I took the TCF in February 2018 and got my B2 certificate.

That's basically what I did:

FSI French Phonology: 10/10
Pimsleur: 150/150
Assimil NFWE: 97/97
Ultimate French Advanced: 20/20
--
Coffee Break French: 120/160
FSI French Basic: 12/24
Hugo Advanced French: 7/9
Teach Yourself French: 20/32
Grammaire Progressive: 24/52
--
BBC Ma France 24/24
Balades: 42/42
Extra French 13/13

I didn't study more than an hour a day, thankfully that was enough!

In September 4, I moved to France, a small and cute town called Poitiers, I'm studying psychology and writing this message during a class right now.

There were hard times, after I got my certificate, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to go to France anymore, so I stopped studying after the exam. That's why I still need to improve my listening comprehension.
Last edited by -JM- on Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
13 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Learning French to Study in France [Success]

Postby PeterMollenburg » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:13 am

Hey JM,

Thanks for the update. It's been a real long time since you were around these parts. Well done on achieving your goal of studying in France! I'm a little envious, truth be told ;) Anyway, Poitiers looks like a nice enough spot. Good luck with your continuing French adventure!

PM
2 x

-JM-
White Belt

Re: Learning French to Study in France [Success]

Postby -JM- » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:27 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:Hey JM,

Thanks for the update. It's been a real long time since you were around these parts. Well done on achieving your goal of studying in France! I'm a little envious, truth be told ;) Anyway, Poitiers looks like a nice enough spot. Good luck with your continuing French adventure!

PM

Thank you Peter! And I guess you're preparing for DALF, good luck with that!
2 x

Skynet
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
Shona (N)
French (DELF B2)
German (Goethe-Zertifikat B2)
Spanish (DELE B2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8686

Postby Skynet » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:50 pm

-JM- wrote:I stopped logging my progress but now I'd like to talk about how it went.

I took TCF in February 2018 and got my B2 certificate.

That's basically what I did:

FSI French Phonology: 10/10
Pimsleur: 150/150
Assimil NFWE: 97/97
Ultimate French Advanced: 20/20
--
Coffee Break French: 120/160
FSI French Basic: 12/24
Hugo Advanced French: 7/9
Teach Yourself French: 20/32
Grammaire Progressive: 24/52
--
BBC Ma France 24/24
Balades: 42/42
Extra French 13/13

I didn't study more than an hour a day, thankfully that was enough!

In September 4, I moved to France, a small and cute town called Poitiers, I'm studying psychology and writing this message during a class right now.

There were hard times, after I got my certificate, I wasn't even sure if I wanted to go to France anymore, so I stopped studying after the exam. That's why I still need to improve my listening comprehension.

Congratulations -JM-!

I remember reading your log just before I started my own French resuscitation efforts, and was concerned that you had fizzled out. I am delighted to see that I was proved wrong and that you passed the TCF B2. I am even more impressed that you only used those courses to pass the TCF! If I may ask, why did you choose the TCF over the DELF?

It was hard work, but look at you now! It was worth every iota of effort! I wish that I was a fly on the wall of your psychology in French classroom.
3 x

-JM-
White Belt

Postby -JM- » Mon Oct 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Skynet wrote:Congratulations -JM-!

I remember reading your log just before I started my own French resuscitation efforts, and was concerned that you had fizzled out. I am delighted to see that I was proved wrong and that you passed the TCF B2. I am even more impressed that you only used those courses to pass the TCF! If I may ask, why did you choose the TCF over the DELF?

It was hard work, but look at you now! It was worth every iota of effort! I wish that I was a fly on the wall of your psychology in French classroom.

Thank you! I chose the TCF because:

1- It was later than the last DELF I could have taken (the DELF was in November I guess).
2- TCF-DAP is especially for the people who want to go to a university in France.
3- And to be honest it seemed (and probably is) easier. :D

Today I got my visa validating meeting (titre de séjour), after that I could apply for the health insurance. Before, I opened a bank account, got housing insurance and applied for the housing assistance (CAF). I guess I'm finished with all the formalities for the rest of the year. :D
2 x

Return to “Language logs”