Pascal's log [FR]...

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Pascal
Languages: Greek (N), English (C1), Bulgarian (B1), Russian (A2), French (Beginner).

Pascal's log [FR]...

Postby Pascal » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:36 pm

Hello everybody! I 'm new to the site, so let me give you my language background. So I am from Greece and I am 27 years old. The first foreign language I learned was English, which I think that I speak quite well. I actually like reading literature in English more than reading it in my native language, Greek. I love watching English TV series too and I really enjoy my interaction with that language.
I learned English when I was a child, so I had a more or less formal old style education. During my English studies I have never talked to a native speaker of the language nor I spent any time in a environment where I would have to use English to communicate (which was something that I did much later in life). Later I lived for a year or two in Bulgaria and I picked up that language too. I didn't really like Bulgarian (sorry Bulgarians) so I never really aimed to perfection or fluency. I was only interested in casual everyday communication, which I achieved rather quickly.
And then I started learning Russian. I love that language! I really do! I think that it is the best sounding language I have ever heard. And I love Russian literature. Some day I want to read War and peace (my favorite novel) in Russian. So Russian is a language that I will definitely occupy myself with at some point. But not now. Unfortunately for the next few months (until October) I will not have access to any resources or alone time since I work for the army (in Greece it is mandatory for every young male to put his life on hold and work for the army, live in a military camp and so on for at least nine months). So I cannot watch Russian movies nor can I read Russian books nor can I write down any notes or anything like that. I only have a smart phone and a few Megabytes each month.
So I decided to put a hold on my Russian and instead try to acquire at least a basic knowledge in a less difficult language, French. I started learning French about a month ago. At that point I would describe myself as a false beginner. Unfortunately my only resources are Assimil new French with ease and Assimil using French. Of course I haven't believed for a moment the claims for reaching C1 upon completion of "using French". But at least it is material in the target language and I guess it is not going to do any harm. So I will try it. Let's call it an experiment. How much French can you learn in a few months with nothing more than two volumes of Assimil? We'll see in October.
So my goal. I want to prepare myself for the next super challenge for which I have read so many things since I joined the forum. So until October I want to take whatever I can from my existing resources and move on. Later I want to try writing in French too, since Skype is out of the question for that period of time.
So.. What have I done until now. I am recently on the 58th lesson of assimil with ease and I do two lessons each day. It takes about two to three hours. At first I listen to the audio for a few times without looking at the book. Usually I understand almost everything the second time around, so it is quite easy for the moment. The new words are few (I believe because of the large amount of cognates that English and French share). That takes 10-15 minutes each day. And then for two or three hours I repeat the phrases while working or eating until I feel confident that I can reproduce them automatically. I know it is a little unorthodox listening for so little, but there really is no other way.
I thing that I don't have any problem with my pronunciation. The "r" sound came naturally the first time I tried and the sounds "eu", "u" and so on, I think that I can pronounce them accurately.
So that's it! What do you think about my goal? How crazy do you think I am? I would be glad to hear your opinions.
7 x
Assimil French with ease: 58 / 120

Assimil Using French : 0 / 70

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Re: Pascal's log [FR]...

Postby tomgosse » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:14 pm

Pascal wrote: So my goal. I want to prepare myself for the next super challenge for which I have read so many things since I joined the forum. So until October I want to take whatever I can from my existing resources and move on. Later I want to try writing in French too, since Skype is out of the question for that period of time.
So.. What have I done until now. I am recently on the 58th lesson of assimil with ease and I do two lessons each day. It takes about two to three hours. At first I listen to the audio for a few times without looking at the book. Usually I understand almost everything the second time around, so it is quite easy for the moment. The new words are few (I believe because of the large amount of cognates that English and French share). That takes 10-15 minutes each day. And then for two or three hours I repeat the phrases while working or eating until I feel confident that I can reproduce them automatically. I know it is a little unorthodox listening for so little, but there really is no other way.
I thing that I don't have any problem with my pronunciation. The "r" sound came naturally the first time I tried and the sounds "eu", "u" and so on, I think that I can pronounce them accurately.
So that's it! What do you think about my goal? How crazy do you think I am? I would be glad to hear your opinions.

Bonjour et bienvenue ! Welcome ! Your goals are no more crazy than anyone else here. I have taken the liberty of adding your name and log to our French group, Les Voyageurs. I look forward to following your progress.
1 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

Pascal
Languages: Greek (N), English (C1), Bulgarian (B1), Russian (A2), French (Beginner).

Postby Pascal » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:04 pm

Merci beaucoup, tomgosse! Les voyageurs seems to be quite fun! Thanks for adding me there! When I will feel a little more confident with the language I will write something there!
0 x
Assimil French with ease: 58 / 120

Assimil Using French : 0 / 70

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:41 pm

Welcome to the forum! Your study plan sounds reasonable to me (probably more reasonable than my wanting to finished French in Action by December). :lol:
0 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Thu Mar 23, 2017 6:12 pm

Pascal wrote: Unfortunately my only resources are Assimil new French with ease and Assimil using French. Of course I haven't believed for a moment the claims for reaching C1 upon completion of "using French". But at least it is material in the target language and I guess it is not going to do any harm. So I will try it. Let's call it an experiment. How much French can you learn in a few months with nothing more than two volumes of Assimil? We'll see in October.

I look forward to hearing about your progress. I agree that Assimil are being a bit ambitious by putting "C1" on the cover of Using French. From the little I've dipped into my copy, I'd rate the material as suitable for a student who is at B1 level.
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Return to “Language logs”