Log rlnv 2017 (FR)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rlnv
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5570

Re: Log rlnv 2017 (FR)

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:47 am

Day 10 and still running strong. I've been doing workbook study from 60 to 90 minutes per day. Only one day fewer than 60 minutes during that time. It's good progress for a slacker like me towards a good study habit. Given my goal for this year, I'll need to keep that rate of study all year.

I just finished my first, and possibly last book by Amélie Nothomb - Cosmétique de l'ennemi. I found myself wanting to stop reading it at least three times. I kept reading since it's a short 19,199 words. I found it claustrophobic and fatiguing. The entire book is a conversation between two characters. I just wanted to run away from it and get some air. In my personal log, I rated it 6 out of 10 for being somewhat original. I think its time for some Molière or something like that for a bit a change.

I purchased Antidote with French and English modules. I ran out of products to purchase from Le Robert, so I had to quench my thirst for expensive software somehow. I really like it. It is definitely on par with Le Robert Correcteur in many ways. Both programs really shine and I'd recommend either of them.
4 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:25 am

Day 25 completed.

Since I've started focusing on book study these last weeks, I've come to re-enforce my understanding of the relationship between focus and outcome. It's no surprise to me that my input skills are far greater than output skills. It's what I've been spending massive amounts of time on in the past couple of years, and it has produced the expected outcome. I can read at an independent level, and aural comprehension is good enough that I feel the time spent has produced a respectable result.

What has taken me by surprise these last few weeks is that, my desire to hit the books is stronger than it's been in a long time. That's a change from my past attitude of just wanting to slack off and enjoy a good book or show. I've been poor at predicting future French activity plans in the past, so I'll do my best to refrain from doing so now. Nevertheless, I feel like if this new study routine of mine sticks, I'll be substantially reducing my reading time for a good period of time until I get the grammar and writing to the level were I want it - high. But at the same time, I would like to increase hours watching shows. The value is too enormous to slack off on that aspect of French.

I have decided to stop recording time on the SC. My focus has changed, and it's no longer a priority. I'll still keep my personal reading log, and I'll know roughly how many hours I'm watching French shows based on the seasons I go through.

---
Tout est négociable quand on tient les cordons de la bourse. - Citation quelqu'un.
1 x

rlnv
Orange Belt

Postby rlnv » Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:39 am

A couple Vicky Leandros videos:

0 x

Return to “Language logs”