Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
User avatar
Cloud
White Belt
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358
x 41

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Cloud » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:37 pm

Xenops wrote:Hello! It looks like you're in the advanced levels for Korean. :mrgreen: I didn't see how you are getting speaking practice? Do you shadow TTMIK's podcasts for that?

I wish! :lol:

My goal is to be able to understand Korean shows, books, etc, so I'm not practising any output at the moment. I've tried shadowing and writing daily entries on Lang-8 before, and maybe I'll eventually go back to that, but for now my priorities are reading and listening.
4 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read


집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

User avatar
Cloud
White Belt
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358
x 41

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Cloud » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:56 pm

I started keeping track of the time I spent studying and watching Korean shows at the beginning of February using a spreadsheet, and found it really helpful for encouraging me to do more each day. I just had a look at my daily averages for last month - 117 minutes studying, 117 minutes watching tv (and a little reading). A perfect 50:50 split! :lol:

: 12 / 178 Korean Grammar in Use (Int & Adv)
: 18 / 179 Advanced Audio Blogs
: 17 / 148 Iyagi Lessons

I've finished studying the subs2srs cards for episode 2 of 킬미힐미. I'm really happy about how well it's going - I thought I'd have to suspend 90% of each episode's cards because they were too difficult, but instead I'm deleting 2/3 of cards for being too easy (or unusable). So about 700 cards were reduced to ~200 active cards (low-hanging fruit) + ~40 suspended for later (too difficult). This series feels perfect for my level so far.
2 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read


집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

AndyMeg
Yellow Belt
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=5354
x 90

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:00 pm

I plan to use 킬미힐미 when I'm more advanced in my studies. It is my favorite korean drama so far!
1 x

User avatar
Cloud
White Belt
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358
x 41

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Cloud » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:00 pm

I've finished the s2s cards for episodes 3 and 4 of 킬미힐미, and I've noticed that I have fewer and fewer active cards for each episode I study:

1회 239 cards
2회 188 cards
3회 143 cards
4회 127 cards

Perhaps it's because of repeated vocab, or I'm just becoming more picky with what I study. Anyway, I don't let myself watch the next episode until I've finished studying the cards, which encourages me to study more. I purposefully chose a series I hadn't watched yet, because I knew I wouldn't be motivated to study thousands of cards of a series I already knew the ending to.

I'm still working my way through old subbed episodes of 아는형님 taking notes, and I'll probably be doing that for the rest of this month. Once I've done that, whenever I want to watch any of those episodes again, I'll just watch them unsubbed. As for new episodes, the plan is:

  • Watch unsubbed on day of release
  • Watch subbed a couple of days later + take notes
  • Watch unsubbed again
I watched the episode with 탁재훈 recently, and he fits the show so well – it would be great if he joined!

I seem to have settled on five days study a week, with a couple of days doing nothing at all, or just reviewing some Anki cards. Let's see how long I can keep it up. :P
2 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read


집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

Sayonaroo
White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 am
Languages: English -N, Japanese - advanced, Korean - upper internediate
x 10

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:47 pm

MAYBE you'd benefit more from listening to stuff you understand like the dramas you watch like you could join the audio files from the sub2srs using MakeitOne MP3 Album Maker. also part of the reason you're zoning out is probably because the audio content does not interest you. that happens to me all the time when i try to listen to podcasts in english which is my native language. But once I found podcasts that interested me a lot I realized why podcasts are available.
1 x

User avatar
Cloud
White Belt
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358
x 41

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Cloud » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:16 pm

Sayonaroo wrote:MAYBE you'd benefit more from listening to stuff you understand like the dramas you watch like you could join the audio files from the sub2srs using MakeitOne MP3 Album Maker. also part of the reason you're zoning out is probably because the audio content does not interest you. that happens to me all the time when i try to listen to podcasts in english which is my native language. But once I found podcasts that interested me a lot I realized why podcasts are available.

Ah, I hadn't thought of ripping the audio from things I have watched, that's a great idea! :D

I have tried listening to many different podcasts, but I haven't found anything which is both comprehensible and interesting. Maybe I'm just too picky. :oops:
0 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read


집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

User avatar
Cloud
White Belt
Posts: 44
Joined: Wed May 04, 2016 9:33 pm
Languages: English (N)
Studying: Korean
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5358
x 41

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Cloud » Wed Mar 15, 2017 1:52 am

I haven't done much Korean study in the past week, mostly just Anki + watching tv. I felt so lazy that reading subtitles seemed like too much work, so I was just bingewatching 아는형님 unsubbed. I guess in some cases laziness can be a good thing?

I sometimes think it's best to watch stuff when I'm tired, because otherwise I tend to find myself stuck overanalyzing how much I'm understanding, whether I really understand something or just think I understand, how much I'm picking up from things other than speech (body language, the not-quite-subs commentary that peppers Korean variety shows, animations and other visual effects), whether I'm learning anything new, etc. These are probably good things to think about once in a while, but it's a bit annoying when I can't just shut off and watch Korean tv the way I'd watch shows in English.

Anyway, I feel like I need to find another funny variety show with lots of episodes to get obsessed with, since I've pretty much just been watching 아는형님 non-stop for 3 months (and loving it!). I feel like it would be good to get into the popular shows (런닝맨, 무한도전, 1박2일) because they each run to several hundred episodes, but whenever I watch them I think they're the kind of show I'd only watch if nothing else was on. Having such an obsessive personality would be great for learning languages if only I weren't so picky. :lol:

Finished 킬미힐미 ep. 5 s2s cards on Anki, so a quarter of the way through the series. I want to get through the cards quickly, so I can watch the actual episodes and move onto another series. I don't really like the idea of it taking months to get through one series. Maybe since I'm taking a break from the other things I've been doing, I can spend more time on s2s cards...?

My interest in other languages comes and goes in waves, and after a few months of only focusing on Korean, I've been tempted by other languages again.

Last year I did about ¾ of the Norwegian course on Duolingo before abandoning it, so I've returned to that, and I'm surprised at how much I have remembered. I have the paperback and audiobook of the first Harry Potter in Norwegian, so I started using those. I was curious as to how much I'd be able to understand not having done that much studying but it being a language similar to English. So I just started reading while listening to the audio, without pausing or looking anything up. It's strange, because I feel like I'm following the story fine (excluding detailed description), but when I test myself by focusing on individual words, a lot of the time I have no idea what they mean. I guess knowing the story well + Norwegian being similar to English that makes the knowledge gaps not that big of a deal. All the Norwegian HP ebooks are available on Amazon, so I can read and listen to the whole series. I love the narrator for the audiobooks, too, he's so expressive. So it's really enjoyable reading and listening to the Norwegian HP, even if I'm not quite sure I'm learning anything.
2 x
: 4484 / 15000 : ko anki
: 627 / 10000 : ko read


집은 책으로, 정원은 꽃으로 가득 채워라.

Sayonaroo
White Belt
Posts: 11
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 am
Languages: English -N, Japanese - advanced, Korean - upper internediate
x 10

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby Sayonaroo » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:50 am

Speaking from my experience I learned a lot of Japanese from watching talk variety shows and I was obsessive in the sense that I would look up everything because it bothered me that I didn't know the words. of course in the beginning I would pause every or rewind every few seconds, every few minutes . Then eventually it got to a a point where I would be looking up stuff while it was playing because it was so easy to follow minus that word etc (of course I did other stuff in Japanese like reading and stuff with Japanese subs etc etc). I use anki btw.
do you look up stuff while you watch it raw? If you're not might as well as watching with subs ?? I know for a fact I got more out of watching 2 hours of Japanese tv looking up everything compared to 20 hours of looking up nothing or only a few things back in those days. Of course looking back I don't think it's necessary to look up everything but at the time I just found shows I really liked and if everyone is laughing I want to know why etc etc

I'm not saying you have to do what I did. Just sharing

By the way I hate all the popular shows you mentioned like running man, 2 days and 1 night so I'm pretty weary of most "popular" Korean anything. I just wanted to mention that the only Korean show I found ADDICTIVE was unpretty rapstar. I recommend that to you if the show interests you . For me the clip of jesssi cursing everyone out on YouTube was enough. For me this show wasn't too bad for me because I learned a fair amount of all the common useful daily conversation from my sporadic viewing of Korean tv while looking stuff up and adding them to anki from 2011(unpretty rapstar aired in 2015?). 4 years sounds really long but my Korean studying is very relaxed and sporadic
1 x

Online
qeadz
Orange Belt
Posts: 142
Joined: Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:37 pm
Languages: English (N), Korean (beginner)
x 155

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby qeadz » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm

Cloud wrote:I sometimes think it's best to watch stuff when I'm tired, because otherwise I tend to find myself stuck overanalyzing how much I'm understanding, whether I really understand something or just think I understand, how much I'm picking up from things other than speech.


I understand this all too well! Its unfortunately not common that I'm in a relaxed mode of just listening and understanding what I can. Some of the best experiences I've had for simply listening without overanalyzing have been when I used to listen to 10 or 15 minutes just before bed.

You may be onto something when you say being a bit tired may actually help!
2 x

AndyMeg
Yellow Belt
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: http://www.forum.language-learners.org/ ... =15&t=5354
x 90

Re: Cloud's 2017 Korean Log

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:07 pm

qeadz wrote:
Cloud wrote:I sometimes think it's best to watch stuff when I'm tired, because otherwise I tend to find myself stuck overanalyzing how much I'm understanding, whether I really understand something or just think I understand, how much I'm picking up from things other than speech.


I understand this all too well! Its unfortunately not common that I'm in a relaxed mode of just listening and understanding what I can. Some of the best experiences I've had for simply listening without overanalyzing have been when I used to listen to 10 or 15 minutes just before bed.

You may be onto something when you say being a bit tired may actually help!


This has been happening to me too! And I started not long ago.

Sometimes I'm watching korean TV with english subs, just for fun, but then I suddenly go into "learning mode". I think it is not such a bad thing because I feel it really helps me to learn and make lots of associations, but sometimes I wish I could just focus on enjoying the content rather than mixing it with "learning mode".
1 x


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PeterMollenburg and 4 guests