K-dramas: Here I come!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:38 pm

Hello!

I'm a spanish native speaker.

I know english and some japanese.

My plan for this year was to take my japanese from lower-intermediate to high-intermediate level, but I had a problem: Nowdays I'm more interested and inmersed in korean native material (K-dramas, K-songs, K-VarietyShows) than in japanese native materials (manga, anime, J-dramas). I've been wanting to learn korean for a while, and considereing the amount of time I'm currently investing enjoying korean TV and songs, I figured out this was a perfect time to start learning the language. So here I am.

Some days ago I started learning "Hangul" with my main focus on the sounds and pronunciaton rather that on the latin letters trasncriptions. My main resources for this have been:

- A Tengulogi android app.
- "Write It! Korean" (another android app)
- An a fantastic youtube video with the best explanation of korean sounds I've found from the perspective of a spanish native speaker.

My plan for the next steps are as follows:

- To study "Glossika Korean" first level following the "GMS" track.
- To study the most frequent vocabulary from this four categories: verbs, adjectives, adverbs and nouns.
- Complement my daily study time by watching 20 minutes of K-drama without subs. After completing one episode, I plan to watch it again the next day but this time with english subs.

I want to learn korean to a decent fluency level, but right now I will settle with a more modest and specific goal: I want to be able to watch korean dramas without subs and have a comprehension of at least 80%.
9 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 4:02 pm

I've had some difficult days in which my time for studying was significately reduced. Anyway, somehow I managed to do a few things:

- The first instruction from Glossika is to listen to all the sentences from a level before starting with the study method of my choice (the relaxed track or the intensive one). There are three ways of doing this: using A tracks (english-korean-korean), B tracks (english-pause-korean) or C tracks (korean only). I like comprehensive input, so C was discarded inmediately. B was an interesting option, but I thought A would be the best: I would hear the english sentences once and then I could hear the korean translation twice. So this week I've been listening to the A tracks. So far I'm on sentence 601. My goal is to reach the 1000 sentences of level 1 by the end of the week.

- I've been practicing my hangul by trying to read any hangul I find while doing my usual things (for example, while watching k-dramas). I also downloaded the korean language pack for windows, so now I can write with my keyboard (but I had to print a guide because the order of the korean letter seems rather random to me at the moment. With japanese, for example, I just have to write the romaji version and it transcribes it to kana or I can choose the correct word or kanji. But with korean I have to see the guide in order to remember where in my keyboard each letter is suposed to be).

I found a very fun video about the korean vowels and I hope to see the companion video (about the consonants) very soon.

I also found an interesting blog about learning korean through K-Pop, but I'll save it for a later time in my studies.

- While reading comments (in english) about a K-drama, I found the following comment in korean: 서현 언니 너무 사랑해 . At first glance I thought I couldn't understand its meaning, but then I tried to just read the hangul out loud, and surprise! I could understand it! (thanks to all my years of watching K-Dramas):
서현--> this is a name
언니 --> this means "older sister" or "older female" from the perspective of a younger female.
너무 --> I didn't know this word but, by context, I deduced its meaning ("a lot")
사랑해 --> this is "to love"

Just to check if my deduction was right, I googled 너무 and I found this video that confirmed my deduction about the word's meaning: [MV] I.O.I(아이오아이) _ Very Very Very(너무너무너무). I also found something curious: I had a dificult time remembering the word, but it was easy for me to retrieve the hangul version from my memory, so in my mind, when I tried to recall the word, I would remember this first: 너무 and then I would read it in my mind to get to the word's sound.

- I've been studying my first 39 most frequent words using Memrise. I discovered it has a nice option to input everything directly from an excel document which makes the whole "create your own course" a lot faster than I initially thought it would be. Creating the mini course for this first batch of words helped me to review hangul and practice writing korean with my keyboard. For the audio of each word I downloaded files from Forvo.

For the verbs and adjectives I also plan to review their different conjugation forms, but I haven't started yet.

- I watched K-dramas almost everyday, but I cheated because most of them were english subbed. Starting next week I'll try to do the korean only drama thing. The word that stood out the most for me this week was 돈 (money), and it was no surprise, since the protagonist was being chased by loan sharks.
3 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:55 pm

Thanks for your suggestions, ロータス! :D

I tried JapanesePod101 a few years ago, but I didn't like it enough to stick with it. So I'm not sure if I'll like the korean version.

TTMIK looks interesting. I would like to give it a try. ;)
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:25 pm

ロータス wrote:The lessons are garbage but the dialogs are good listening material.

Then I may give it a chance. ;)
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Feb 03, 2017 7:49 pm

I finished listening to all the A-tracks from Glossika's level 1!!!! :D
Next week I plan to start with the GMS study plan.

What are my expectations with Glossika?

- To learn korean structures
- To improve my listening skills
- To practice my pronunciation
- To practice my writing and reading of hangul

I've felt tempted to read a grammar book, but I want to try Glossika first (combined with the most frequent vocabulary lists and watching k-dramas with and without subs) to see how much of the language I can get this way.
2 x

Bex
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 77#p157977

Postby Bex » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:29 am

I have found glossika really useful, it seems to drill certains sentence constructions right into my head and then they suddenly make sense.

It will be fascinating to see how far Glossika will take you from a beginners level.

I will follow your log with interest, good luck with your korean.
1 x
Kwiziq
A0: 100 / 100
A1: 100 / 100
A2: 100 / 100
B1: 91 / 100
B2: 53 / 100

Hundetier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Deutsch, English, Español
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4873

Postby Hundetier » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 am

AndyMeg wrote:I finished listening to all the A-tracks from Glossika's level 1!!!! :D
Next week I plan to start with the GMS study plan.

My congrats! I am looking forward to your experiences with Glossika. I am curious how you are doing with it, please report.
Today in the morning I finished Level 1 of Fluency Spanish. Sadly there are so many mistakes in the written sentences and in the audio (speaker says something other than written down). Do you have the Spanish version, did you encounter mistakes?
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:14 am

Bex wrote:I have found glossika really useful, it seems to drill certains sentence constructions right into my head and then they suddenly make sense.

It will be fascinating to see how far Glossika will take you from a beginners level.

I will follow your log with interest, good luck with your korean.

Thanks! :D

Yes, one of the main reasons I chose Glossika was because I wanted to get used to korean sentence constructions.

Yeah, I've heard most people use Glossika when they are around A2 level. It'll be an interesting challenge to see how it goes for me at an A0 level.
2 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:33 am

Hundetier wrote:My congrats! I am looking forward to your experiences with Glossika. I am curious how you are doing with it, please report.
Today in the morning I finished Level 1 of Fluency Spanish. Sadly there are so many mistakes in the written sentences and in the audio (speaker says something other than written down). Do you have the Spanish version, did you encounter mistakes?

This week has been really busy for me, so I had some difficulties keeping on track, but I'll make a more detailed report later today.

Congratulations on finishing that level!!!

I don't have the spanish version. I read that the base language for all Glossika courses was english, so I preferred to have the english-korean version and not the spanish-korean one. The more translations that are in between, the more distorted the original message becomes (like in the "broken telephone"/"teléfono roto" game). But I've read a lot of people complaining about the spanish translation (it seems to have lots of mistakes and some unnatural speech).
1 x

Hundetier
Yellow Belt
Languages: Deutsch, English, Español
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4873

Postby Hundetier » Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:19 pm

Thanks! ;)
AndyMeg wrote:The more translations that are in between, the more distorted the original message becomes (like in the "broken telephone"/"teléfono roto" game).
Good point, I did't realise that. I chose English-Spanish to kill two birds with one stone - to learn two languages with one set.

AndyMeg wrote:But I've read a lot of people complaining about the spanish translation (it seems to have lots of mistakes and some unnatural speech).
The quality-control wasn't good - if there was any at all. When a beginner stumbles over the mistakes, then I would think, a native could have spotted it easily. But the unnatural sentences concern me more - I have almost no possibility to identify those by myself in order to avoid learning something weird.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”