K-dramas: Here I come!

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
User avatar
Xenops
Green Belt
Posts: 426
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:33 pm
Location: U.S.A.
Languages: English (N), French (beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?p=48718#p48718
x 593
Contact:

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby Xenops » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:28 pm

AndyMeg wrote:
Xenops wrote:Hello! I just started Korean myself. Currently I'm watching "Boys over Flowers", and it's endearing.

Are you mainly using Glossika, or something else, too?


Hello!

Did you start watching k-dramas for you studies, or had you ever watched k-dramas before oficially starting to learn korean?

"Boys over Flowers" is one of the most popular k-dramas ever. A few years ago I started watching the japanese version, but I never finished it (I don't remember why). Maybe I'll try to watch the korean version some day.

So far these are my main resources for learning korean:

- Glossika
- K-Drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와)
- Memrise (I'm making some personalized courses based on "A Frequency Dictionary of Korean")


I started watching it after starting to learn the language. :) I'm finding a surprisingly amount of quality, *free* materials for Korean (Korean from Zero!, TalkToMeInKorean, etc) that I might no ever use a regular grammar book, either. We'll have to see. I do plan on making my own Anki cards though.
1 x
: 32 / 113 Assimil New French with Ease
: 6 / 52 French in Action


Check out my comic at: http://rosamondgrey.smackjeeves.com/

AndyMeg
Orange Belt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5354
x 144

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 am

These weeks have been very busy, so I haven't studied as much as I had hoped to.

- I've made another adjustment to the way I work with the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와). This was my last plan:

Day 1: Watch 20 minutes of an episode (without subs).
Day 2: Watch the next 20 minutes of the same episode (without subs).
Day 3: Watch the final minutes of the episode (without subs).
Day 4: Watch the whole episode with englishs subs.
Day 5: Watch the whole raw version of the episode.

The first four days were fine, but I had problems with "Day 5". I found it really boring trying to watch the entire no-subbed version of the episode. The other problem was that it was taking almost a week to finish working with an episode and it felt too slow for me. Also, I didn't like the unbalance in the amount of time for each day (20 minutes for the first three and 60 minutes for the last two). So I tweaked my plan a little and now it looks like this:

Day 1: Watch 15 minutes of an episode (without subs). Then, watch the same 15 minutes but this time with english subs.
Day 2: Watch the same 15 minutes from the previous day (without subs). Then watch the next 15 minutes of the same episode (without subs). And, finally, watch again the new 15 minutes, but this time with english subs.
Day 3: Watch the last 15 minutes from the previous day (without subs). Then watch the next 15 minutes of the same episode (without subs). And, finally, watch again the new 15 minutes, but this time with english subs.

And, well, the idea is to continue like this until I watch the whole drama.

I think this new plan is better because I get an (almost) inmediate feedback of those 15 minutes (first without subs and then with english subs), which is great because it allows me to compare and contrast while I still have everything fresh. I left the other round of those no-subbed 15 minutes for the next day because watching the same no-subbed segment twice in the same day felt too much for me (and boring); but I found that I actually like watching it again the next day and I pay a lot more attention than when I was trying to watch a whole episode without subs.

So far my new plan is working really nice and I'm very happy with the changes. And I also like that it gives me the opportunity to work with two episodes a week if I'm on track.

- I created a new personalized course on Memrise so that I can focus on learning only nouns (the most frequent ones). I'm currently working on the first batch of 30.

- Glossika is progressing slowly, very slowly. I really like Glossika and I think it helps me a lot, but I think trying to use it when you are an absolute beginner on the language can be a little intimidating (even if I'm only working on 20 sentences a day: 5 new, 15 old ones). So I'm trying to take it easy and divided each day in two: the first day I do step 1 and the second day I work on the other steps (2, 3 and 4). These are the steps:

Step 1: Listen and Repeat (Maybe I'm being too much of a perfectionist with this step, because it takes me at least half an hour before I'm done. I repeat again and again until I almost match the native speaker's speed. For now I'm only focusing on the general flow and speed, so it doesn't matter if I'm not pronouncing it perfectly; but, of course, I try to get as close as possible).

Step 2: Dictation (this also takes its time, but not as much as the first step. As I still don't know much about the writting, I sometimes make some funny mistakes. For example, I wrote this syllable in the wrong way: 운. I put the ㅜ on the right side of ㅇ. And sometimes I also make one syllable out of two, or write things the wrong way, like 지 베 instead of 집에)

Step 3: Recording (I just started this one two days ago, so I have nothing to say for the moment. My idea is to record the same sentences at least three times. Each time on a different day.)

Step 4: Interpreting (In this step I have to listen to the english version and try to remember the korean equivalent. Hopefully tomorrow I'll start with this step).
3 x
: 2 / 61 킬미, 힐미 1회 Viki's "Learn Mode" (minutes of the video) :

User avatar
Bex
Yellow Belt
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:10 am
Languages: English (N), Spanish (A2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3949
x 108

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby Bex » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:31 am

Your new plan sounds more enjoyable. I am finding it much easier and more fun now that I am allowing myself to use more English whilst listening to my target language and repeating stuff less. Don't know why I didn't do it before :roll:

Have you considered using the GSR files for Glossika, it's much less work each day? I started with the GMS system and repeating 50 sentences each day but I found the GSR sticks better because of the multiple repetitions, over more days. GSR is harder at first because it's so much faster but I found it enjoyable by the time I was about half way through level 1....anyway just me and just a thought.

Love reading your log. Keep enjoying your K-Dramas :)
1 x
Reading Harry Potter 1: 2 / 18
Listening Harry Potter 3: 0 / 18
LWT 2000 words known: 1705 / 2000
Glossika GSR 2: 15 / 104
Language Transfer: 71 / 90

AndyMeg
Orange Belt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5354
x 144

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:16 pm

Bex wrote:Your new plan sounds more enjoyable.


Yeah, it is. Actually, I think my new plan is increasing my motivation, which is great :D

Bex wrote:I am finding it much easier and more fun now that I am allowing myself to use more English whilst listening to my target language and repeating stuff less. Don't know why I didn't do it before :roll:


That's awesome! :mrgreen:

Bex wrote:Have you considered using the GSR files for Glossika, it's much less work each day? I started with the GMS system and repeating 50 sentences each day but I found the GSR sticks better because of the multiple repetitions, over more days. GSR is harder at first because it's so much faster but I found it enjoyable by the time I was about half way through level 1....anyway just me and just a thought.


Yes, I have. I usually get bored with just audio repetitions over several days (I've had bad experiences with similar resources for learning japanese), so I think that's one of the main reasons why I haven't used the GSR files. I think I'll continue this way (working only with the GMS) until I reach the first 100 sentences, then I'll analize my progress and process and decide how to continue (if by then I don't feel happy with my way of studying with Glossika, then I may give the GSR files a chance). And don't worry, I really appreciate advice and suggestions ;)

Bex wrote:Love reading your log. Keep enjoying your K-Dramas :)

Thanks! :D
1 x
: 2 / 61 킬미, 힐미 1회 Viki's "Learn Mode" (minutes of the video) :

Sayonaroo
White Belt
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 am
Languages: English(N), Japanese - advanced? nearly fluent?, Korean - upper intermediate? advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com
x 32
Contact:

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby Sayonaroo » Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:36 pm

perhaps you could just watch the whole ep with subs then relisten to the episode (well that is if you download the eps) and pick apart Korean in the specific scenes that piqued your interest ( there's a lotta dae-bon floating around) later on doing the rewinding/pausing/etc. I personally just hate re-watching stuff but I do not mind re-listening especially if i run the audio through sub2srs and then join those together.

I personally hate Korean drama and if I do watch it I end up fast-forwarding a lot lol. Anyways I recommend fast-forwarding if any scenes bore you. For some reason in the k-dramas they always have main characters and side characters and sometimes the side characters are older and just plain boring or annoying.... so like for thsoe dramas if I do try to watch it I'll literally skip all scenes with the annoying older people lol.
1 x

AndyMeg
Orange Belt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5354
x 144

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:24 pm

Quick update:

- I'm really enjoying the way I work with the drama "Tomorrow With You" (and the dorama itself is becoming more a more interesting with each new episode). It is keeping me highly motivated, which is great.

I've started to notice an unexpected side-effect of this: once a week I practice japanese with a friend using j-dramas and role-playing. Since I started working with the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (with the three 15-minutes segments a day), japanese sounds at normal native speed have become clearer to my ears. It's been very interesting to notice that.

A line of dialogue from the drama "Tomorrow With You" ("I don't know what it is, but I'm not curious to find out") reminded me of one of my favorite scenes from k-drama "Kill Me, Heal Me". The word that triggered the memory sounded like "bunme". Here is the scene from "Kill Me, Heal Me":



"I won't wear it"
"Wear it"
"I won't wear it"
"Wear it"
"I won't wear it, get rid of it"
"I won't get rid of it, wear it"
"I won't wear it, get rid of it"
"I won't get rid of it, wear it"
"I w-w-w-w-won't wear it, g-g-g-g-et rid of it"

This scene is just soooo funny! And the actors ad-libbed the rapping part! :mrgreen:

- After watching a video, I decided to change the way I work with Glossika. This is the video:



I want to try some things first and then I'll come back and tell you about them ;)

- I finished the first bacth of 30 nouns on Memrise. Now I'll start working on the second batch while I continue to review the first one.
1 x
: 2 / 61 킬미, 힐미 1회 Viki's "Learn Mode" (minutes of the video) :

Sayonaroo
White Belt
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:13 am
Languages: English(N), Japanese - advanced? nearly fluent?, Korean - upper intermediate? advanced?, Spanish (b1?)
Language Log: http://choronghi.wordpress.com
x 32
Contact:

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby Sayonaroo » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:27 am

I recommend mining from stuff you actually watched/listened to in Korean like the drama etc... especially nowadays 대본 are available online and you just gotta convert it to .doc and there's blogs that transcribe scenes or you could bother people at lang-8 to transcribe something for you. you don't want to end up like this person on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comment ... selfstudy/

it's possible you're studying the "wrong" words.
if you want to understand drama, mine from drama. if you understand a song, mine from songs, etc etc
1 x

AndyMeg
Orange Belt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5354
x 144

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:50 am

Sayonaroo wrote:I recommend mining from stuff you actually watched/listened to in Korean like the drama etc... especially nowadays 대본 are available online and you just gotta convert it to .doc and there's blogs that transcribe scenes or you could bother people at lang-8 to transcribe something for you. you don't want to end up like this person on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/Korean/comment ... selfstudy/

it's possible you're studying the "wrong" words.
if you want to understand drama, mine from drama. if you understand a song, mine from songs, etc etc


I appreciate the advice and I understand your point. I may use mining in the future, but right now I don't want to do it. I started less than two months ago and I'm happy with the way I'm studying. I don't want to rush things. The most important thing for me with learning korean is enjoyment (because that's the only way I will stick with it, however long it takes). And I'm really enjoying my studying right now. And I'm also learning. The words I've been learning on Memrise keep appearing time and again in the korean TV I watch and in the songs I listen to. So it is easy to remember them. And even if I don't know each and every word, I'm starting to remember complete expressions from the dorama I'm studying with (in the way I'm studying with it) and I feel my comprehension is enhancing little by little. For now I'm just exploring different possibilities and enjoying the journey. Different people have different methods and different priorities, and is alright. ;)
3 x
: 2 / 61 킬미, 힐미 1회 Viki's "Learn Mode" (minutes of the video) :

AndyMeg
Orange Belt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5354
x 144

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Yesterday, while watching "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와) I got curious about this word/expression: 하지마. I googled it and found this very interesting website: What's GAJIMA and HAJIMA?.

I ended up learning that 지마 is used to make a verb negative. From my study with Memrise (the first batch of words which included verbs) I remember that 하다 means "to do" and in the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와) one friend was saying to the MMC "don't do it" (they were talking about the possibility of the MMC marrying soon).

After reading the meaning and the blogpost, I remembered a song my sister likes a lot. It starts like this: 미안해 미안해 하지마 (Don't be sorry). And a few weeks ago I found one of my favorite actors making a parody of this song in a short k-drama. The tittle of the song is Eyes, Nose, Lips (눈, 코, 입), which I also find interesting because one of the most frequent nouns I've been studying on Memrise is "eyes" (눈).

I really like times like this when everything feels connected :)

By the way, if you want to listen to the complete song, here it is:

2 x
: 2 / 61 킬미, 힐미 1회 Viki's "Learn Mode" (minutes of the video) :

AndyMeg
Orange Belt
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:44 pm
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Absolute Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5354
x 144

Re: K-dramas: Here I come!

Postby AndyMeg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:34 pm

I've been experimenting a lot these last few days.

- I tried watching three 10 minutes segments twice a day (of the k-drama "Tomorrow With You") but it didn't work as well as the three 15 minutes segments I outlined before. The reason, I think, is because 10 minutes felt too short to immerse in the story and enjoy it the way I could with the 15 minutes segments.

Before going back to the three 15 minutes segments I'll try another experiment:
1) At night, before going to bed: Watch a (no-subbed) 20 minutes new segment. Then, watch the same segment but this time with english subs.
2) The next morning, as soon as I wake up: Watch again the 20 minutes from the previous night (without subs).

- I've also been experimenting with Glossika and I think I'm close to finally settling on a method. One of the things I discovered is that I have to work with Glossika in the mornings because I can't get myself to work with it later in the day. So I'll try to work with Glossika after I finish watching the 20 minutes of the k-drama "Tomorrow With You" (내일 그대와).

- I was planning to continue with the next batch of 30 most frequently used nouns but, while reading the parts of speech index, I found that I've been hearing a lot the words classified as "conjunctions". So I created a course for the most frequently used conjuctions (which are only 15 words) and I've been studying it on Memrise.

- I remembered about a course I took at Coursera maybe two years ago and, yesterday, I started reviewing it. The course is called "Learning how to learn" and I remember it gave me really useful insights back in the day. I plan to analize my strategies based on what the course teaches.
2 x
: 2 / 61 킬미, 힐미 1회 Viki's "Learn Mode" (minutes of the video) :


Return to “Language logs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dampingwire, iguanamon, qeadz and 5 guests