French, Spanish, Italian, German: 2017

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Tomás
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N). Currently studying Spanish (intermediate), French (false beginner).

Re: French, Spanish, Italian, German: 2017

Postby Tomás » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:30 pm

tastyonions wrote:I have let her know that I will not be moderating or acting in any capacity other than "regular" participant in the future.

Let the entire group know, and why. Then quote the Professor from FIA: "Tant pis pour vous!" Or, if you have the group's mailing list, just start your own group and invite the same people. Tant pis pour elle!

It is trivial to find free web hosting space for a simple club website. There is no need to pay for it.
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:45 pm

I am indeed strongly considering starting my own group, free of charge for all.
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:36 pm

For German I have been sticking almost entirely to "Perfectionnement allemand" (lesson 40 today) and Easy German lately, but I do pop on to news sites from time to time to see how much I can get out of them.

I am pleased to report that yesterday I was able to understand quite a lot of this article about the Netherlands elections: http://www.jetzt.de/politik/niederlande ... amentswahl

The end of this month will mark ten months of German study so far.
5 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:26 pm

:lol:
2 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:47 pm

Nice podcast in Spanish that I found the other day: http://www.pizzelpodcast.com/?format=rss

Just two guys chatting and moving very casually from subject to subject, mostly based around current science news. Also a good test for your comprehension of Argentinian accent!
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 pm

tastyonions wrote:For German I have been sticking almost entirely to "Perfectionnement allemand" (lesson 40 today) and Easy German lately, but I do pop on to news sites from time to time to see how much I can get out of them.

I am pleased to report that yesterday I was able to understand quite a lot of this article about the Netherlands elections: http://www.jetzt.de/politik/niederlande ... amentswahl

The end of this month will mark ten months of German study so far.
Have you used any the Destinos type german-learner soap opera's?
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:08 pm

:D
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Wed Apr 12, 2017 5:03 pm

Chugging along slowly with German. Lesson 63 in "Perfectionnement allemand" today. I need to find some kind of native material to start reading regularly. I think I might go for jetzt.de, which has a lot of "light" stuff that looks like it might be interesting.

I also scheduled an Italki lesson for next Wednesday. I'm hardly comfortable with speaking but sometimes I just need a swift kick in the butt to motivate me.

1 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Sat Apr 22, 2017 12:18 pm

Unfortunately I had to cancel my German lesson because I had to go into work early that day. :roll:

On the positive side, I read through the final lesson in "Perfectionnement allemand" this morning! This is actually the first time I have gone completely through both parts of an Assimil series. I didn't end up getting very far into "Using French" and only went about halfway through "Perfectionnement italien," but I feel like my German comprehension definitely benefited by going through both books and reading all of the notes carefully.

I'll probably look back through some of the lessons that were tougher for me, but I think most of my learning material will now consist of the easiest native stuff I can find.
3 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby tastyonions » Mon May 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Trying to transcribe five minutes of a real (not learner-oriented) podcast in German and actually mostly succeeding! Okay, it takes me like twenty minutes to transcribe a minute of speech, including dictionary searches, but there's no way I could have done this just a few months ago. I have a session with a teacher Wednesday and will ask him to help me fill in the holes and correct anything I misheard.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”