Balancing Act (German, French, Italian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Balancing Act (German, French, Italian)

Postby BalancingAct » Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:43 am

New log coming. :roll:
Last edited by BalancingAct on Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x
Non va fatto con molto ciò che si puo fare con poco.
La liberté n'a pas de frontière comme votre curiosité.

BalancingAct
Orange Belt
Languages: Mandarin, Cantonese, English (Prof.), French (Adv. - Prof.), Italian (Adv.), German (Adv. receptive), Spanish (Int. receptive)

Re: Balancing Act (German, French, Italian)

Postby BalancingAct » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:36 am

This winter I let Italian into my life. It goes so well that I now feel the urgent need to balance things out a bit, although I don't know exactly how yet. Hopefully writing things out would ease my anxiety a little.

On the one hand, I am happy that Italian is such a pleasure-ride; on the other, I see the risk of losing focus - I began dreaming about Italy and stuff. And I should not lose focus, which is the improvement of German and French.

I am all about learning a language efficiently. So far I have done it rather efficiently with the two substantial languages German and French, without letting the intermediate stage be a long drawn out process. It is important that I stay the course and maintain a good pace, to overcome my weaknesses in these two languages as soon as possible.
1 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt

Postby BalancingAct » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:23 pm

I am already feeling more comfortable with letting Italian in, stay and grow this year.

I think I should relax while also be vigilant.

Last Friday, for the first time in a couple of months, I did a lot of German news. I felt really good and thought that I should keep up the momentum. I noticed that I could now watch TV news and documentaries rather comfortably without relying on subtitles. So I decided that from now on I would watch programs both with and without subtitles. This should allow me to watch longer without straining my eyes. Previously I always preferred programs with subtitles. Since ZDF pushed a redesigned Mediathek, it is no longer easy to tell at one glace if a program has subtitle or not. But no matter.

With radio current events programs, which include detailed background info, interviews, and opinion pieces, I still work substantially with transcripts. This allows me to expand my vocabulary and get more used to German syntax. I am eager to get to that level where I can switch on a channel and understand about everything, as in French.

As for reading, I never completely stop for long, as I like magazine reading and magazines get published every week. I will do a lot more magazine reading this year, as I am reading faster and faster.
Last edited by BalancingAct on Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:07 am

Welcome! All of these languages are in my top-five list. I'm focusing on French this year, and maybe add another European language next year. Italian looks fun.
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

BalancingAct
Orange Belt

Postby BalancingAct » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:41 am

Yesterday I wrote a post thanking Xenops who left a comment above and giving an update of my activities; but when I submitted it, I got logged out and lost the thing.

Anyway I do want Xenops to know that I greatly admire her comic design talent.

Since Sunday, I have been doing all three languages every day.

Italian: Mostly reading, very little listening.
I was checking out Méthode 90's audio file and found that I liked it, so I will continue to use it, along with In Italiano, Langenscheidt's Praktisches Lehrbuch Italienisch (new version called Langenscheidt mit System), Assimil, etc. Reading wise, I am finishing up Assimil's L'italien, with 7 lessons left. I've been doing four Assimil books at the same time, the other three being Italian with Ease (finished), Perfectionnement Italien, and Perfezionamento dell'Inglese. The last two are really well done, comparable to Perfectionnement Allemand, which I thought was outstanding.

French: mostly listening (radio and online TV). Am trying to decide weather to do the italki February chanllenge in French or not. Read the beginning of Les Particules Elementaires by Michel Houellebecq.

German: mostly magazines reading, radio listening, and TV news viewing. Discovered Zitty, a weekly magazine for Berlin and a lighter read than Der Spiegel, Focus, and the like. Going to read some military history next.
0 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt

Postby BalancingAct » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:52 pm

Stayed up late last night to watch last week's episode of La grande librairie, because one of my favourite French writers was on it. Now it's already been replaced by a new episode, which is also interesting.

I said "watch", but mostly I was just listening. I was simultaneously processing a transcript of Deutschlandfunk.

Many interesting German magazine articles are waiting for me, as well as ever fresh radio and TV programs. When I am in contact with German material, I invariably sense great joy swelling up in me. Happy that I can enjoy the neat material in front of me, realizing that my approach in the early learning stages is paying dividends.

I am entertaining the idea of doing German instead of French for italki's February challenge. That would be interesting and exciting, although improving oral French should be my top priority.

Italian is going well and as planned; but if I am doing an oral challenge, I should immediately start doing more listening, some writing, and daily reading out loud practice.
2 x

Soclydeza
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Actively Studying:
German (B2)
Italian (False beginner)
Norwegian (Beginner)

Dormant:
French (Lower intermediate)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9066

Postby Soclydeza » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:01 am

Welcome aboard! My first (real) language learning attempt was Italian (which I forgot most of by now) and I am currently working on my German and French, so your log naturally caught my eye. I'm signed up for the Italki Feb challenge as well. I'll be keeping an eye on your log, good luck!
1 x
END OF YEAR
: 108 / 108 Babbel Italian (Beginner)
: 47 / 47 Babbel Italian (Intermediate)

CONTINUOUS
: 27 / 100 Assimil Italian

BalancingAct
Orange Belt

Postby BalancingAct » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:42 am

Thanks Soclydeza, I find your log interesting as well. I'll be reading more of it in the coming days.
0 x

tastyonions
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: EN (N), FR, ES, DE, IT, PT, NL, EL

Postby tastyonions » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:34 pm

Looks like we share some languages. Good luck with your studies this year!
1 x

BalancingAct
Orange Belt

Postby BalancingAct » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:15 pm

Thanks, tastyonions. I saw your new blog and I'll be following it.
0 x

Return to “Language logs”