Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Postby Tristano » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:36 am

Expugnator wrote:German distinguishes Mauer (muro) and Wand (parede) just like Portuguese.

Hey @Expugnator, thanks to this post I now know what is the difference between 'muur' and 'wand' in Dutch: they respectively mean 'muro' and 'parete' in Italian. Thanks :)
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:07 am

And in Norwegian, they are mur and vegg.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Postby Expugnator » Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:00 pm

@Tristano: glad to help!

@Brun Ugle: I see vegg so much more often that I thought of it as the generic word that encompasses 'mur' as well, but I'll keep the distinction in mind now. I think vegg (and parede) are used more often because in our daily life we tend to make more reference to the internal ones than to the external ones.

Norwegian remains challenging. My brain seems to get tired of the language too easily too soon a day. I was trying my best to listen to the non-fiction audiobook and actually noticed some improvement, but the novel came out as tiresome.

Interest plays a big role in motivating me to read a text intensively. I'm interested in almost all texts I'm reading at the post-textbook stage, but when I come into a book that is about a subject that dominates my life, like language learning itself, I can see myself looking up the big German words and finally start making sense of them. As I said yesterday, Norwegian draws away as German prevails. It's almost dialectic, though I preferred it wouldn't be so. I only hope I can later progress in Norwegian if I plateau in German again.

Dubbed German is becoming easier to follow, and I may let go off L1 subtitles and only use delayed L1 subtitles, so I can focus on listening (while still acquiring vocabulary).

Today I continued the conversation from yesterday and I actually go to chat in Greek for a while! It was very helpful as I had to explain how I learn languages and saw myself forming very complex clauses. I ended up delaying my own Greek studies of the day a bit, but it was definitely worth it!

Accomplished language textbook: Learn Greek without a teacher

This is a bad idea not so well executed. It has the qualities of a grammar-translation method but with good dialogues and useful sample sentences that ilustrate the grammar satisfactorily. Main flaws are the exercises that are in Greek only, fill-in-the-blank types on grammar features, and so don't allow you to actually train the usage of the language. There are some translation exercises but they are scarce throughout the book (less than 10), and they would have been much more effective in training grammar; and the vocabulary lists: you have to cram vocabulary by heart in order to do the exercises. Yet I find it a good introductory textbook. It's available in English, Spanish and Russian basis.

I wouldn't mind actually doing a pure grammar-translation approach. The ideal one would be "A textbook of Modern Greek", by Tofallis, but without answer key the book is no longer that useful.

Audiolingual alternatives include resources with Katharevousa, like Cortina, FSI and DLI. All comprehensive, but with old spelling. Not what I need now; the course Kypros does the job not that badly and it will soon catch up with my current level, as it still feels easy at lesson 28.

Ok, I will resist the urge for another round of Assimil (the old edition), try to ignore the old orthography and go for the old 1962 TY Greek, because that's what I need now.

There are actually more multimedia tools, such as Duolingo and Mond.ly, but I was thinking about starting them when I start having native materials regularly in my schedule and when I notice I'm approaching B1.

No time for anything after schedule today. Only halfway through Clozemaster and no dubbed Russian series.
0 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:16 pm

It's great to be back after another extended weekend and in a new, smoothly running forum!

I spent the final minutes of my Thursday shift searching for the best Spanish novels to start with. I want to follow the same chriteria for French and Italian: I need novels set in our days, dealing with urban life. That's how I learn a good deal of how life goes on in foriegn countries before I visit them. For example, I searched for books set in Madrid. I'm not aiming for highbrow literature now. I could be reading whatever genre in Spanish, actually, a language that shares 89% of vocabulary with Portuguese prior to any study. So I have to be very minucious in searching for books that will help me learn about the Spanish culture (my goal now, later on will come Argentinian, Mexican, Colombian and so on).

I've also rediscovered my main source for audiobooks. While I think any audiobook in Spanish will be automatically transparent and I don't need to train listening skills on enunciated audio, I think there are some good non-fiction books that could take up the non-fiction slot I have during lunchtime. I have 3 books lined up in English and then I will only listen to what I really important for me to learn. As soon as there is no audiobook left for any of my non-fiction priorities, I'll convert this lunchtime slot into another fiction slot for my weaker languages.

During the weekend, I could keep my Clozemaster streak. I'm really happy with what it's doing for my Mandarin. I'm starting to make sense of most sentences and that might even help with output later. I'm far from being a succesful learner of Mandarin, like outcast, but I start to have the feeling that I can reach a level in the language that is worth presenting myself as a speaker of it.

I didn't get to watch many series. No Norwegian - I think there are so many pending series that I end up not opening the NRK app at all. As for Russian, I was planning on finishing The OA for good, but could only watch 10 more minutes from the season finale before one of the babies was done with her afternoon nap.

As for gathering resources, I thought I had found Iron Fist in Georgian downloadable, but it was Russian instead. I'm willing to start this series but I'd like a fun language. German Dubbing on Netflix is too slow, at least that's what I found. I like to watch superhero series in Georgian - currently Arrow and Flash. I leave sci-fi and tech series for Russian. There's also Italian, but even native series are transparent, so it's not helping much my improvement. Estonian, Greek and Mandarin have no dubbing. I'm really considering choosing my next languages among those that have a dubbing industry.

I tried downloading more from the Estonian soap opera, and could notice it's still working fine. I haven't started yet, I'm stil watching a movie, but it's nice to know there is a sustainable resource.

The greatest achievement was the purchase of my first audiobook in Georgian! I bought The Portobello Witch, by Paulo Coelho. It is abridged, but I believe it won't be a problem. Georgian seems to be read particularly fast on audiobooks, newscasts, but I've noticed the language already 'slowed down' a little from last time I tried (actually meant that I can take more information now). I'm going to officially start my first audiobook in Georgian after I'm done with Haruki Murakami's book, and I expect to reach a new dimension in terms of fluency in the language.

Early commuting and Norwegian non-fiction again. I'm happy because my comprehension has improved by leaps and bounds; I'm sad that it's still not good enough and it results on missing important content. That's one of the drawbacks of doing non-fiction extensively.

Estonian is progressing so well that I'm almost able to read subtitles extensively. And yet I'm managing to pay attention to audio, too, while checking the English subtitles as well. A rather encompassing exercise which I plan to keep doing with the soap opera (this one I'll have to translate from GT).

All is well in Greek. I'm getting used to the old TY Greek (grammar-translation method) and I'm moving on at the Kypros course. Lesson 31 is supposed to be intermediate, but I just see a continuum from the lesson before, and neither are that challenging.

Doing Clozemaster on the phone is much faster than at the desktop. It's hard to read short sentences that take up the full screen, and the app runs faster than the site anyway.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Norwegian is going forward again. The non-fiction book is becoming transparent, and the comedy series is starting to make more sense. The other audiobook, the one I'm listening and reading plus looking at Google Translate, is more challenging but I'm learning important vocabulary from it.

The film 'Le Prénom' is a good source of colloquial French.

Greek moving forward well. I'm a bit tired of the format of the Kypros' course, little content for too much time, but I think it is useful. I'd have to add another resource instead of replacing it, and I don't have time for this now. I have to accept my lower rhythm of progression.

I decided to give 'text input' a try on Clozemaster, but only for Norwegian, my strongest language there. At first I had most sentences wrong, but I'm getting the hang of it. It's even more like output than the Multiple Choice type. Next I want to try it for German, and in the future the remaining languages.

I'm currently using grammar/translation for both Russian and Greek, and it's being useful for both. I'm consolidating basic grammar for Greek and trying to active basic grammar and consolidate the intermediate one for Russian. I'm looking at the detail, after having received the necessary input and having seen an improvement on my comprehension level.
0 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Apr 26, 2017 9:08 pm

I managed to download the first episode of "Iron Fist" in Georgian, from a different source. I may end up downloading from my previous sources as well, I might have overlooked something. I was waiting for the browser to display a .mp4 URL so I could right-click and download the video, but maybe even with a cryptic URL I might still be able to download it that way. I'm considering Legends of Tomorrow which I already have. Superheroes and Georgian are a powerful combo for language learning and fun.

Wanderlust for easier languages keep haunting me. I dream about delving into literature and audiobooks after just a couple of Assimils. Romanian has tons of audiobooks, Esperanto has podcasts and some books I want to read (like the sequel of the audiobook I'm listening to in French, which isn't available in French so far). Then there's Hebrew, which I have to start from scratch but which I bet will be really fun to listen to.

The day had a lot of activities but I had some more time for studying, and as a result I finished my tasks earlier and could watch 20 minutes of Mr. Robot in Russian plus the usual series with Estonian subtitles.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:31 pm

Norwegian still gives me its headaches. While the aural decyphering of sounds is at its highest level with the non-fiction audiobook, I still can't keep up fast enough for meaning. I'm doing over 30 minutes of Norwegian listening a day, and around 20 pages of reading (I'm counting the audiobooks as both, even the one I just listen to), and yet I feel I'm a bit far from a breakthrough. I have several almost-known words, especially abstract nouns.

Finished the Estonian film Supilinna Salaselts. A great one! Not only I enjoyed the film, I also learned a lot of vocabulary and improved my listening skills. Now I'm starting the neverending journey of the soap-opera Õnne 13. I won't run short of material in the middle term. I do need to diversify from other sources, but I still don't have a steady source for Estonian films. I'll have to wait till I can watch with subtitles in order to watch other TV programs, but it's a level I haven't reached in any languages other than the Romance-based ones :/ .

The lessons at the Kypros course start to become more interesting and useful. I just have to watch out the idiosyncracies of that island. I'm glad the verb forms are being taught in small doses and so I'm reviewing and consolidating the aorist. The course just fails at introducing the imperative at once without explaining how it is formed from the aorist.

An atypically busy Thrusday. No extra series, but my Clozemaster streak keeps going.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:23 pm

So I started watching the soap opera in Estonian, and I'm awe-struck! What a useful learning resource it's going to be. I have additional difficulties because I'm translating the Estonian subtitles into English using GT, and they're not always accurate. Note to self: when using machine-translated subtitles, it's best to always compare the original and the translation, because most of the times you can make sense of the absurds the machine propels by listening to or reading the original. Don't underestimate your level in your L2.

Anyway, the series has very clear audio. The conversations are familiar, contextualized, you get all the small-talk and greetings stuff plus the actual subjects. You are exposed to a wide range of communicative functions. I believe that if I keep watching this series I can really reach a good level in Estonian, a B2 at least, and that would be an achievement for such a small language with limited resources. Each episode has around 28 minutes, so I'm watching half of each each day. Next time I counted, there were at least 300 episodes available with subtitles. That's enough to have real fun.

German reading is becoming passable. I'm becoming familiar with the vocabulary involving language learning in German, thanks to Fremdsprachenlernen mit System. The book is 576 pages long, but at the kindle for iPad I advance only 1% after reading 10 pages, so it's probably going to take me almot 100 study days to go through it. That's not bad at all, because I'm getting good exposure through watching Black Mirror in German, and because I'm reading FMS also for the content itself, and it's not wise to rush and overlook the insights presented.

The author of the Duolingo Czech course seems to be a very committed and attentive person. As the course approaches its end, he seems to have remained consistent and made a very comprehensive course. He has taken care of most of the grammar and now is delving into more specific one, some true relics. I'm really looking forward to it. On a side note, I keep postponing Duolingo Greek but it has even graduated from beta, so it might be safe to start. I don't know, maybe Mond.ly will feel basic now, almost like a phrasebook.

I've typed and translated a text I wrote in French a few weeks ago, and I'm happy with progress overall. Few mistakes (at least according to BonPatron), and the reading flows not badly. The fact even the machine translation into Portuguese makes sense is probably an evidence that it's somehow good French being written. The little time I spent in the process is also encouraging.

Let the Tomchallenge begin! (bold are the Clozemaster sentences. The rest is output challenge.

Estonian

Ära muretse. Ma tegelen Tomiga ise. Ta ei pääse seekord. Mul ei ole enam kannatust.

- Ma pean nüüd minema. Kas Tom sai kohvri? - Ei, mitte veel. Ta saab olema siin homme uuesti.

- Miks peaks Tom tahtma Mary näha?. Pole aimugi. Võib-olla Tom igatseb teda?

Ma lähen kontrollin, kuidas Tomil on. Ta on juba nädal aega voodis haige olnud.

Tom üritas varjata oma erutust, aga kõigile oli olgus, et ta peites midagi väga olulist.

Tom üritas Maryt soojas hoida, aga asjatult. Radiaator oli katki.

Kardan, et Tom ei ole siin. Olgu. Tervitage teda minu poolt.

So, that was Estonian. Enough fun, the largest amount of output for me this year. I tried googling the sentences but most of the times I remained clueless.

The site wasn't working for me, no idea why, so I let go of doing text input for Norwegian. It isn't practical at the app.

Norwegian

Tom går med de samme klærne han gikk med i går. Jeg vedder på at vaskemaskinen hans ble ødelagt.

Tom var med sin familie forrige helg.Han dro ikke til kasinoene som vanlig.

Tom hadde ingenting med kidnappingen å gjøre, men det var han som ranet bakeriet.

German
Tom kann es nicht weiter abstreiten. Er muss zugeben, er hat alle Ostereier unter seinem Bett versteckt.

Tom sagte, er spreche kein Französisch, obwohl er seit seiner Kindheit Unterricht in der Schule gehabt hat.

Tom verträgt es nicht zu verlieren. Letzte Woche hat er den Tisch aufgehoben, nachdem er ein Poker-Spiel verlieren hat.

-Ich möchte Toms Schmerkz linder. - Ja, gern, Anästhesist. Bitte tun Sie es.

Tom kann Marias Familiennamen nicht aussprechen. Er weigert sich absolut, irgendwelche Polnisch zu lernen.

Ich kann Tom nicht aufhalten. Er hat schon den Aufzug betreten.

I think that's ok for now. I should probably alternate languages for the challenge. Next come Russian and Modern Greek. I do those six languages everyday on Clozemaster. Curiously, no Tom-sentence popped up during Chinese drilling.
3 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Tue May 02, 2017 9:43 pm

A lot to tell about another extended weekend (yesterday was Labor's Day).

First Clozemaster is more exciting now that I have followers and people I follow. Also, I'm getting the hang of text input for Norwegian. I used to get most wrong and now most of my mistakes are either typos or sinonyms. I figured out the right answer is displayed on the blank line on the app, so I can use it on the app too.

Two lessons from Hello Chinese. Still over 40 to go, so I should think about a way to insert it into my routine also during the week, even if not everyday.

I'm on a watch-and-delete marathon. I got the whole series Les bleus: premiers pas dans la police, I managed to download Iron Fist in Georgian (brute force, как изкачать видео из... and the result was a Russian video grabbing site), I checked if my Estonian source is still working (it is), got more episodes from Mr. Robot (the first season, in Russian), got a few episodes of Legends of Tomorrow and a recent film starring Omar Sy, the guy on Intouchables.

I got Chinesepod and Chinese Learn Online. Chinesepod is a neverending resource. CLO might be more effective because it's graded according to the amount of Chinese in it, but I don't have the transcripts, only audio. I wonder if it's time to add a podcast slot for Chinese again. I'm watching the Yabla videos really intensively and it's paying off, but I miss the textual component as those videos are rather extracts.

I watched one episode of Futurama in Italian, after a long time, and I could compare how much I've improved after a few months. I used to struggle to follow the jokes even if I could watch other series fluently, but now this one too is quite transparent. I started to watch another episode of Travelers in German, it was fun to listen to, but babies got on the way.

Back into mon-fri studies, Russian in Exercises start to become serious. I'm studying adjectives, so far the nominative only. I really have to pay attention this time.

The book Fremdsprachenlernen mit System has a list of subcompetences for each of the 4 core competences. It can be useful to have a look at them just for the sake of, for example, writing prompts or mini challenges. I just learned that what we call "ata de reunião" is probably "session history" in English and "Sitzungsprotokoll" in German.

The compound verbs of 'decir' are regular in the future in Spanish...yikes!

Accomplished language textbook: Assimil Perfectionnement Espagnol

A good book, but one has to be really prepared or have a solid background on another Romance language (like my being a native Portuguese speaker) if one wants to use it to its most and not feel overwhelmed at times. It starts with good cultural references but then it goes too much into the study of form, of the form of the language. I was expecting more references to literature.

Now I'm following my plan and doing La pratique courante de l'espagnol, from the same publishing house that does the excellent Méthode 90 (which I didn't use for Spanish but did for Mandarin Chinese). Meanwhile, I'm free for delving into native materials now! (According to my own goals). I do have audiobooks but I then I remembered there are podcasts that might be more interesting and up-to-date. The list of series grows each day after all the recommendations I read, but Aquí no hay quien viva and El ministerio del tiempo and Las Leyendas are on top. I'd like something Argentinian as well. Not picking any dubbed series in Spanish, though.

Life of Tom:

Estonian

Ma arvasin, et Tom seisab mu eest, aga ma eksisin. Ta ei aidanud mind üldse.

- Kas sa oled Tomile öelnud? - Ei, veel mitte. Ma ootan homseni, kuni ta tunneb end paremini.

Tom ei käi koolis bussiga. Ta elab ainult kahe kvartali kaugusel kooli.

Tom lahkus enne filmi lõppu kinost lahkuma, sest tema tütar oli haige.

Tom ei tea oma tugevust. Ta kardab kõike ja kõiki.

Ärge valage kohvi selle pudelil! Tom ütles seda üsna selgesti.

Tom tahtis Mari heakskiitu, sellepärast käitus ta nii kenasti eelmisel nädalal.

Tom tahab sulle midagi öelda. Kas Teil kohta aimu, mida ta tahab rääkida?

- Tundub, et Tom meeldib sulle. - Kas tõesti? Ta mulle ei meeldib. Ma ei arva, et see läheb hästi.

Estonian is a very inTOMsive set on Clozemaster, and it's taking me a lot of time even to come up with sequences to all the sentences below.
3 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Wed May 03, 2017 7:51 am

Expugnator wrote:I'd like something Argentinian as well.

The Argentinian adaptation of In treatment - En terapia is very good, excellent acting. A fun and silly comedy telenovela would be Tratame bien. The story is completely unbelievable, but I enjoyed it anyway. There are many short ones too - Estocolmo and Cromo on Netflix for example. I mildly enjoyed Ruta misteriosa, also short. Also, Las huellas del secretario - that one might be a little harder to find though, since it was produced by the previous government. The best short one I've watched was Germán, últimas viñetas, but I think it has completely disappeared from the web. Fun educational content would be Zamba. It's for kids, but I enjoyed it anyway because it teaches history in a really enjoyable way. The more controversial episodes like the one about Malvinas or the one about worker's rights have disappeared from the official channel since the change of government, but they are still on Youtube if you dig a little.

Generally the acting and writing in Argentinian content tends to be far better than in Spanish content - apart from silly telenovelas of course, they are idiotic in all languages. I found Aquí no hay quien viva really unbearably idiotic and somewhat tragic too, since people really are like that. And Ministerio del tiempo is a mixed bag of bad acting, stereotypes, self-deprecating humour and insane plot holes. The latter is at least watchable though and even has 2 quite good episodes. Slightly better acting in El tiempo entre costuras and this one has also high production value. With the last one someone actually thought about the plot in advance, since it's an adaptation of a book. The writing is still somewhat stereotypical and mediocre, but with far less plot holes than the average Spanish series!
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “Language logs”