Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9931

Re: Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Postby Expugnator » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:05 pm

是啊,我喜欢软的。这里是红的。这儿别种柿子不常见的。

==================
Finished the audiobook by John Nesbø. This time it did help my listening skills, though I can't say I can understand enough yet. I have good and
bad days on this matter.

Now I took La forma dell'acqua, by Andrea Camilleri, which was already lined up for listening in Italian. From the first episode I'm totally
clueless as to what the story is about.

I forgot the tablet at home. Will have to read everything at the computer or the phone, as well as spend some time tomorrow figuring out where I had stopped, since the genuine ebook formats such as epub and the one from the Georgian bookstore have different page sets in each device. The most
critical situation is Georgian where I had to install the app on my phone.I find it outrageous that this specific bookstore won't allow for their books to be read on the web. All other do, even Amazon has a web kindle interface. I usually read in parallel, with the French text on the phone, but now that I'm reading Georgian on the phone, no can do.

I started watching my first film in Estonian, Kirsitubakas. I only got Russian subtitles which I translated into English. No Estonian subtitles. That makes things much harder and less productive. I still can't parse the spoken language properly, and the audio of the dialogues isn't that clearly spoken either.

A different usage: sikiera means 'at least' in Papiamento. In Portuguese, 'sequer' is only used in the negative, as 'nem sequer', meaning 'not even', at least in current language.

I forgot how long the Kypros lessons are. They've also become easy. Still useful, though.
3 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:40 pm

Expugnator wrote:...A different usage: sikiera means 'at least' in Papiamento. In Portuguese, 'sequer' is only used in the negative, as 'nem sequer', meaning 'not even', at least in current language. ...

This looks like a case where Papiamento may be closer to Spanish, though the fourth meaning of the Spanish word correlates to the Portuguese meaning of "not even":

RAE Diccionario
"siquiera
De si1 y quiera, 3.ª pers. de sing. del pres. de subj. de querer1.
1. conj. conc. aunque. Hazme este favor, siquiera sea el último.
2. conj. distrib. ya. Siquiera venga, siquiera no venga.
3. adv. al menos (‖ aunque no sea otra cosa). Deme usted media paga siquiera.
4. adv. Tan solo. U. en contextos negativos o irreales. No tengo un euro siquiera."

In the Priberam dictionary from Portugal:
"se·quer
advérbio
1. Ao menos; pelo menos; quando mais não seja.
nem sequer
• Nem ao menos."

I've never used "sequer" to mean "ao menos" in Portuguese, always "not even", maybe that's down to my Paulista influence. With a language like Papiamento it must be quite difficult to figure out what comes from Portuguese and what comes from Spanish! If I ever add Papiamento, my insanity will be confirmed, if it isn't already!

2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate Spanish, German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian, Greek (Modern)#just started Indonesian, Hebrew (Modern), Guarani

Postby Expugnator » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Thank you, iguanamon. I don't know why, maybe thanks to massive listening, but Papiamento words are already ingrained. They most often mirror Spanish (when Spanish and Portuguese diverge). I just have to remember when it's Portuguese to be used as a source and not Spanish.

=========
Italian. Stamattina non ho potuto ascoltare l'audiolibro di Andrea Camilleri, La forma dell'acqua, perché sono venuto in macchina al lavoro. Mi domando ancora se devo anche leggere il primo capitolo (l'ho soltanto ascoltato ieri, non l'ho letto), perché l'inizio di un'opera ci porta sempre imformazioni importanti sui personaggi, sul luogo, sul contesto. Devo ammettere che non ho capito abbastanza bene l'introduzione di quest'opera. Vediamo come trascorre il giorno oggi, forse avrò tempo di leggerlo.

All's well with my first Estonian film. I bet things will start to fall into place, and I'll start hearing word boundaries. I leave the English subs opened as a text file and I tend to read them first, in order to prepare myself better for listening. This is an useful step at this stage. Unfortunately, there is a lot of silence in the film, and that's why soap operas are usually better.

Norwegian.Jeg savner døtrene mine. Jeg tilbrakte morgenen med dem og så kjørte jeg til kontoret med dem og kona. Da vi ankom til forsiden av bygningen, forlot jeg førerbenken og la kona mi kjøre dem til moren hennes. Begge jentene sovnet allerede, fordi de våknet opp tidlig i dag, det var nok halv fem, hvis jeg ikke tar feil. Nå må jeg arbeide hele tiden til jeg får se dem igjen. Kona mi skal komme forbi og hente meg klokka seks i kvelden så vi kan kjøre tilbake hjem.

Français.Aujourd'hui je n'ai pas oublié de porter la tablette. Hier soir j'ai mis a point les marque-pages des livres que je lis maintenant sur la tablette : ce sont kafka sur la rivière (en géorgien), un roman en italien, Le Monde de Narnia (en chinois) et Maya, de Jostein Gaarder (j'écoute ça en norvégien, mais avec le texte de la traduction brésilienne). Pour les livres qui n'étaient pas en pdf, j'ai lu plus que d'habitude, mais j'ai lu une page de moins en norvégien/portugais parce qu'hier j'ai utilisé un fichier epub ou les pages sont comptées différemment du pdf que j'ai sur la tablette.

Português. Acabei de ouvir o audiolivro "Grit", de Angela Duckworth. Como eu já falei aqui, é um livro que eu recomendo a qualquer estudioso de línguas. Meu próximo livro está sendo Physics of the Impossible, de Michio Kaku. A narração é em inglês americano cristalino. Quanto ao conteúdo, até agora está em um tom jornalístico, bem tranquilo de acompanhar. Quando começar a ficar muito científico, vou só ignorar mentalmente os detalhes mais técnicos. Parece muito interessante o livro.

I'm done with the second film of the trilogy Fantomas. He is a really disgusting character, and I hope he is stopped somehow at the third film. The problem of having a villain as the main character is that the goody can't simply put an end to each conflict in the story. Btw, the second film is a rare example of the second in the trilogy being better than the first one.

I don't know if I'll ever get down to learning Hungarian (probably after Finnish, I'm still in Estonian), but I've gathered some translated novels just in case.

The Chinese series with subtitles is finally bearing some fruits. As long as I keep improving my listening comprehension as well as learning and consolidating some vocabulary, I shouldn't regret the fact there are no dubbed series. I'm getting a lot from native series with double subtitles. I hope most of them remain available legally on Youtube (with ads every 10 minutes, so what?) and with double subtitles. I just extract the English subtitles and keep only the Chinese one on the screen. It's probably better than when both subtitles appeared simultaneously at the bottom of the video screen, because I know where to look for each of them now. I even caught myself understanding the audio and not caring about subtitles at all.

I'm enjoying the Kypros course. It's much better suited to my level now. Even a little slow, but I'm convinced this repetition will pay off. There are exercises, so somehow I'm forced to think in Greek. It's like audio drills but all natural in the conversation of the presenter. The fact one grammar aspect is addressed at a time means a lot to me. I usually see a table with all cases for all genders, and now I've just seen genitive masculine yesterday and genitive feminine today, and I finally start to consolidate them.

It was a very busy and tiresome day today. I could only go as further as Clozemaster.
3 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:42 pm

A shame about Fantômas. I bought the book a while back - it took me a while to track it down - but didn't really get into it. I bought it after reading through Arsène Lupin, Gentleman Cambrioleur which I enjoyed. It was fun and Arsène is a fairly sympathetic thief. I found the text online, I can't recall where now.
1 x

Anya
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), French (C1), English, Spanish, Italian, Japanese, German, Turkish, Mandarin, Sanskrit, Catalan, Portuguese, Hungarian, Greek, Romanian, Occitan, Latin ...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=754&p=11667#p11667

Postby Anya » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:31 pm

I did not read "Fantômas" book, but I really enjoyed the films; me too, I like more the second one.
1 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm

So it turns out Andrea Camilleri is the author of the Montalbano series. I feel honored of sharing one resource with our mod rdearman.

I got corrections for yesterday's paragraphs, and overall I'm happy with my level. I had only minor mistakes in French and Norwegian.

At today's Perfectionnement Russe lesson, I got some reccomendations of contemporary authors, like Братья Стругацкие (sci-fi), Сергей Васильевич Лукьяненко (fantasy) and Людмила Улицкая (romance).

A good day for German, despite being in a hurry and having two meetings. I wonder what it takes to take German to the next level. It's a language I seldom talk about, as if I knew nothing about it. I watched the first episode of Black Mirror. It's good to be also watching what I want to, not only for the sake of language learning.

Is there such a thing as narrow wanderlust? Today I'm willing to learn languages close to the ones I know. I read Elenia's log and instanly read the Swedish title of the book she's reading, as if it were a familiar language. Then the Kuxnya subtitles are in Bulgarian, a language I've always wanted to read. Not to mention Romanian.

Accomplished Language Texbook: Assimil L'Espagnol (2004)

Nine lessons to go, and I decided to finish L'Espagnol at once. The final lessons are particularly informative regarding the Spanish language, geography and culture. Overall, one learns more from this book because it's more focused on informing the learner, on teaching what is necessary rather than just thinking about the language itself.

Now I'm free to start Assimil Perfectionnement. It has only 60 lessons, which is good news. I'm not sure I can tackle 2 a day (not 3, for sure), but I'll try my best because I can't wait to start native materials. Spanish is turning out easier than expect at this comeback after 5 years of massive language-learning experience (16 years not studying Spanish altogether, actually). I'm less and less convinced I need to study grammar actively that much. I've already studied the basics on my first contact, and for more advanced grammar I'm better off coming back after having enough exposure to reading, at least judging from my experience with French. It's much easier to remember a grammar example when the sentence resonates familiarly in your head than when you're meeting the grammar feature that is featured in it for the first time.

What I'm keen to learning is business Spanish/professional Spanish, because I have ambitious goals for that. Oh, and seeing how much I enjoyed going through Assimil in an "easier" way, I feel like doing Catalan. That's also a sign that my second time with Greek and Assimil is going to be much more fun.

This week I was a bit more consistent with Clozemaster. Only Monday missed. I recommend following the groups of frequent words. That's what I'm doing with Greek, and it really pays off to see the most important words over and over again and yet it doesn't feel like SRS or repetition (I just go through a level until I see all the sentences at least once). For my previous languages it wouldn't make sense, because I'd have to work a lot on overly easy sentences.
3 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 pm

It was a productive weekend after all. I collected some more material for the week, but didn't get caught on a collecting trip. I read a lot from my main reading, which might allow for me to finish this one book sooner. I'm really making a good use of my dead moments for reading. I'm reading from the Kobo app which I have on my phone and my new iPad, so I can read few pages whenever I have time.

I kept my Clozemaster streak, I really feel it's helping, especially with Estonian and Mandarin. I'm also enjoying Hello Chinese a lot. I did more over a chapter this weekend. I really enjoy the speaking and the writing practices.

I could have watched more from my series, but I coudln't organize myself this time yet. I want to watch Iron Fist in one of my TL's. Georgian dubbing is not available yet. I then started in German, but on the TV it takes a lot of time to navigate menus and change dubbed language and settings, although my Netflix is already set to German. In the end, I figured out I had better launch NRK instead and watch one of the many Norwegian series I started watching.

Narnia reading and listening in Mandarin gets better and better. Sometimes I feel I could already be reading it extensively.

Now I'm reading in Estonian. I'm not just glancing at Estonian sentences and then at the translation. Grammar-wise, I already know what each term does in the sentence, which word and collocation plays the role of a noun, a verb, a participle. It's a stage that took me over 4 years to reach in Georgian, and now after two years of Estonian I might even be reading extensively in another year.

Greek compound tenses are really straightforward. With this, I'm starting to get a hang of the Greek grammar. I didn't think it would happen this quickly.

So I started Assimil Using Spanish! I could comfortably do 3 lessons, which means it will take me only 20 study days. Actually I plan to do 4 lessons including the review lesson, and then 3 lessons again, then 4 and so on. That's what I did with Perfectionnement Italien. Perfectionnement Espagnol is a good book. The lessons teach good vocabulary, cultural references, review important grammar points. The notes are even less than in L'Espagnol, and more relevant, so that means I won't spend much time on reading unnecessary notes. The exercises follow the same format, and they don't seem hard at all. I'm doing the active wave directly and it's a breeze.
4 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 pm

Halfway through my Estonian film and there's noticeable progress already. I'm starting to understand full sentences. The language is turning into comprehensible strings, less mumbling. I don't need to set the volume so high anymore, and I'm starting to learn in real time like an average listening/reading exercise.

Another good day for Narnia in Mandarin. Overall, I think all my languages are getting better and towards a breakthrough.

Progress in Mandarin is also noticeable at the TV series. Most of the sentences sound familiar, and from the remaining ones I can learn vocabulary in real time, which is quite effective. Only a few sentences remain obscure.

Accomplished Language Textbook: Grammaire Progressive du Français - niveau perfectionnement

I was caught off-guard realizing I had finished this grammar. I hadn't thought about what to do next yet. This is a study "slot" where I once again go through textbooks for languages I've already let go of textbooks. Mainly it's about fine-tuning grammar.

Anyway, the grammar itself. It's the most useful grammar I've used for French. I go as far as saying that if you had the basics of French Grammar and then a lot of input, you can stick to the Perfectionnement level as your only resource in the series. The Avancé level didn't teach me more than I already knew, and when it did, it was on a memorization base, not so well contextualized. Here, on the contrary. grammar is at the service of meaning. So whatever you learn is presented with sentences that are actually said and not just thought out of the blue for illustrating a grammar point.

I was supposed to replace this slot with a book from the series "Pronounce it perfectly", which I have in French and Russian. I thought about this months ago. Now that I think of it, it won't be the best to do at this stage. My Russian pronunciation improved enormously after consistent exposure to comprehensible input through series and audiobooks. It needs only fine-tuning, just like French, which isn't something appropriate to do when one can't repeat out loud what's being said.

I could then pick another textbook for Russian, but I need dry grammar and I'm going to start it in two days once I'm done reviewing Assimil Perfectionnement Russe. All in all, there's not much I can learn from studying or reviewing textbooks for my languages at this stage. I can think of Basic Course in Estonian and its drills, but even after cutting the silence from the soundfiles it will still take a time I can't afford now, as I should be focusing on input.

Intensive reading wouldn't be a bad idea, but I would rather do it after the textbook study. So I'll just leave this slot blank, meaning I won't do any textbook study for the moment for French, Norwegian, German, Estonian, Italian or Mandarin. I might get back into grammar for these languages, but right now I'm better off saving time so I can do some output and thus detect my gaps, and only then work specifically on grammar.

A pratical issue: as I reformulated my schedule (actually post-schedule, as I regard everything after Russian within a day), now I'm doing Greek textbook + Greek dialogue/audio lesson (currently the Kypros course). So, I'll be doing 2 Greek textbooks in a row. If trouble happens, I'll then insert Slow German between them.

Today I finally found time for resuming The OA in Russian. I can't underestimate the importance of this activity for my goal to reach B1 active/B2 passive in Russian before June 2018.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:05 pm

Italian audiobook aka favorite language-learning resource
After a confusing start, La forma dell'acqua is transparent again. Listening to Italian audiobooks is really addictive, a pity that I don't have access to many of them. The pieces of the story fall into place slowly, and I also have more info on the description of each character which complements the initial one. So, even if you can't understand everything at the first chapter - it's an audiobook, so it's not practical to 'reread', there will be some additional pieces on the plot that will help putting things into place.

Russian reading aka The Neverending Story
Finished my long review of Assimil Perfectionnement Russe. A book I keep recommending. I haven't overlearnedit this time either, I rather used it as a source of intensive reading. Halfway through the book I was still desperate, but then things started to fall into place and now I'm approaching the level I want: I can read for the gist or read with a dictionary and reach a good level of comprehension. My next goal is reading extensively and following the story/topic properly.

I don't feel obliged to keeping reading short texts intensively anymore, because I'm doing a good job on the 3 A4-format pages I'm listening/reading with translation. Now there are much less unknown words on that series of books, and I'm reading at least half the excerpt intensively. Watching series (both native and dubbed) with subtitles but paying close attention to the audio is also doing the intensive input job.

Thus I'm better off drilling grammar in order to activate my knowledge. I really need to leave the A1 active level while I reach B2 passive. I'll be using Russian in Exercises, by Khavronina and Shirochenskaya. I don't remember seeing any specific recommendation on this resource later among the more serious Russian learners, but I think it will suit me. It has pictures and it is graded. No audio to distract me. I'm a huge fan of Routledge's Modern Grammar series, but I'll save that one for the time I'll be doing regular output, otherwise it will be a waste because I won't have a background in writing for automatizing identifying myself and my usage with the examples being discussed. If other learners want to recommend other resources that will help me consolidate declension and conjugation, other than dry FSI or Modern-Russian-like drills, I'm all eyes =D .

Mandarin reading
Today at Narnia I (re)learned that squirrel is 松鼠, or mouse of the pines. I'm starting to folow also the long descriptive excerpts, though not all the time. I remember this stage in Georgian, where I would excell in the dialogues and finally started to understand something of the descriptions. Now in Georgian I'm starting to follow the descriptions extensively while the dialogues are nearly transparent. This is a stage that precedes reading fluently extensively.

German reading
I had to run some errands during lunchtime, and so had to catch up in the afternoon. I tried to read faster in German, and noticed I can recognize and even translate almost all words, but I lose meaning at the sentence and text levels when I do that. So, for non-fiction it's rather problematic to do that. Were it fiction, that'd be just skimming through and still keeping an eye on the story.

Italian chatting
Just learned 'divenisse', I was trying to say "prima che divenisse di moda". I have an Italian acquaintance who is in Georgia for the second time. He isn't so thrilled about Georgia. He says it's become trendy in Poland, where he lives, but he can't connect with the country, probably because he doesn't know the language.

==========
The errands and a technical issue took lots of time, so I only went as far as the Estonian reading today. No Greek or Spanish at all.
2 x

Expugnator
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Postby Expugnator » Thu Apr 06, 2017 8:51 pm

Started Russian in exercises. So far, just the basics. I plan to do at least two pages a day. There's also the Spanish version, so I leave it open at the key to exercises, so as not to waste time flipping back and forth.

Estonian is gpoing smoothly. Maybe it's time to increase to 2 pages a day. Agatha Christie's books are page turners, the language is really simple.

Back to Greek. Conditionals are not that hard, quite straightforward actually.
As for the lessons on Kypros, these are still at the beginning, but they are effective for drilling.

Yesterday I missed Assimil Using Spanish. Pity, because I can't wait to finish it and start native material. I could have caught up by doing 7 lessons today, but the many notes get me in the nerves, confuse and slow down the process. Anyway, today was a much calmer day and everything was ready more than an hour earlier.

I felt like Italian series today. Still 'Non pensarci'. Even though the plot is rather loose, with the quick transition from one scene to another that is typical of soap operas, I noticed it's even easier now to understand the dialogues. The audiobooks, even though they are enunciated audio, helped also with the non-enunciated audio of the series. Sometimes I feel I'm watching TV like in L1, just having it on the background and following just the necessary to keep up with the story. I think a source of frustration regarding listening/watching is that sometimes we want to understand everything from videos that we wouldn't bother that much in our L1s.

After struggling for keeping SMPlayer always on top of all other windows, I decided it's better to just split screens. Like the forum on the browser and a series on the video player, for example. The screen is large enough to accomodate both at a comfortable size.

Russian
Есть ли много хостелов в Москве? Я только что искал в Гугле и увидел, что на карте Москвы не так много хостелов отбражаются. Интересно, будет ли достатотно мест для Чемпионата Мира? Будут ли открыты / построены новые хостелы? Надеюсь, что все посетители найдут уютные и доступные места для проживания во время Чемпионата.

Кстати, я уже начал процедуру выдачи лицензии. Я скоро стану экскурсоводом.[/b]

There it is, macarronic Russian again, this time less reliant on GT but still quite much so. The important is that I'm trying and practicing. More than this, I'm not so clueless about cases anymore, but I remiain so about aspect, also because I usually don't know the most usual preverb for the perfective (yes, I approach aspect from a Georgian background) and GT usually only points to the imperfective pair, given the lack of distinction of the English simple past.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”