Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1?), Spanish (B2-ish but C1-ish reading skills), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1-ish), Icelandic (B1 passive), Yiddish (basic), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (beginner)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep

Re: Expug's 2017 Log - It's now and forever

Postby solocricket » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:17 am

Just wanted to say I enjoy reading how you juggle so many languages! I have aspirations to learn and maintain a lot of languages as well, so your log is quite helpful and inspirational :D
1 x

Expugnator
Blue Belt
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian#just started Greek (Modern)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5221

Postby Expugnator » Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:01 pm

@smallwhite : both exist and the one I saw was definitely 好景不长 .

@solocricket : thank you! I hope you manage to learn a lot of languages, it does enrich one's experience!

===================================
Today with a better earphone the experience of listening to the Norwegian audiobook was already better. I could read all along, but I think that even without text I would have understood more than the previous days.

Agatha Christie's books are good friends of language learners. My Estonian is benefiting tremendously from the various dialogues.

The book "Learn Greek Without a Teacher" seems to reserve a surprise at each lesson. Now there are interpretation exercises after each opening text. It's good practice at the early stages.

I'm getting drowned in the long notes of Assimil L'Espagnol. It totally defeats the point of having a more intuitive approach. It's just ordinary L1 explanation spread through the lesson instead of following a logical order as in a traditional textbook. And this in a textbook of the 2000's! I really hope Using Spanish isn't the same.

Not much done after normal schedule, only Clozemaster. Things got busy again and starting a video to be interrupted every other minute is annoying. I did resume some pending activities, though.
1 x
Corrections welcome for any language.

smallwhite
Blue Belt
Languages: Cantonese (n) > Mandarin > English > Spanish > French (C1) > Italian > Dutch.
Studying German > Swedish.
·

Postby smallwhite » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 am

Expugnator wrote:@smallwhite : both exist and the one I saw was definitely 好景不长 .

I see. Because they sound the same in Mandarin, I suppose. They sound different in Cantonese and you don't see or hear 好景不长 in Hong Kong.
1 x
016 more days of Dutch - Dutch down!
074 more days of German
111 more days of Swedish

Expugnator
Blue Belt
Languages: Native Brazilian Portuguese#advanced fluency English, French, Papiamento#basic fluency Italian, Norwegian#intermediate German, Georgian and Chinese (Mandarin)#basic Russian, Estonian#just started Greek (Modern)

Postby Expugnator » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:41 pm

As book 3 of The Chronicles of Narnia approaches its end, I've already found audio and text for book 4. This time I have another option for book 4, and i'll try it to see if the intonation and rhythm helps me understand the text faster and better.

The combination of listening the book Maya, by Jostein Gaarden, and doing Assimil L'Espagnol is making me want to visit many places in Spain. I've been to Barcelona, but that's a Catalan-speaking place I will certainly read more about when I get down to Catalan (knowing there is so much to be learned about Spanish also makes me wanderlust more for Catalan, it is going to be really cool and not just more of the same).

Reading the full newspaper in Papiamento instead of just online news is leading me to explore longer, complex texts on varied subjects instead of just Politics or Police. Today I read about nutrition. I learned that Papiamento uses 'kou' for 'chew', from the Dutch 'kauwen'.

I'm about to finish 1 book and 1 audiobook, non-fiction, and I'm trying to find the next one, but I'm not being that lucky in finding the non-English editions for the ones I want to read. Well, sometimes I do find some gems in Romanian, which I'm supposed to start soon.

The book Learn Greek without a teacher simplified a lot by saying in the plural masculine and feminine nouns have basically the same forms. So far I hadn't acknowledge this or been informed about it from other sources. With only one sentence a whole task became easier.

Reached an interesting point at Grammaire Progressive - Perfectionnement: L'Organisation du discours. I wonder where it will take me. As with the Portuguese ultimamente, dernièrement doesn't mean 'at final place', but just 'recently'.

Another busy day. Post-schedule series are on hold.
2 x

Expugnator
Blue Belt

Postby Expugnator » Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Russian makes sense, more and more. I should keep going. I even feel like writing sometimes.

The Italian contemporary novel has entered the stage of just 1-2 word lookups per page. It's not being effective for intensive reading, but I do want to keep consolidating vocabulary.

The exercises from Learn Greek without a Teacher have become useless without the translations of the sentences.

Just figured out, thanks to Assimil Espaçñol, that French has 'passer un savon', the exact equivalent of 'passar um sabão' in Portuguese. other than that, L'Espagnol keeps rich in cultural information but too exaggerated in notes.

I finished tasks early, finished some pending tasks and decided to watch the final minutes of another The OA episode in Russian. Next one is full dubbing, no more monovoice. I'm finally starting to 'like' the Russian language itself (I've always liked the sound of the language, the culture, just philologically the language always seemed unnecessarily complicated). This excitement about the language, the no longer feeling of strangeness towards it tends to preceed reaching basic reading fluency.
2 x

neofight78
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:40 am

Glad to hear that Russian is becoming more enjoyable. :D It can be tough to begin with but ultimately it's a very rewarding language. Too many people give up on it too soon.
1 x

Return to “Language logs”