Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:12 pm

Elenia wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Just in case you don't already know, you can ignore any sentences you don't like. You can also report sentences if they are wrong, but I don't know what the policy on reporting things is when they are not wrong but just nasty.

I thought you had to be pro to do that! Thankfully I've not had any bad language in my sentences, but I would say they're still not very kid friendly. Tom's led a hard life!

I think all the buttons except favorite work without a pro membership. It's only the favorite button that tells me I need a pro account when I click it. The ignore button just asks if I'm sure.
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:08 pm

Elenia wrote:Tom's led a hard life!

Yeah, Tom's been killed so many times!!!
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:01 pm

blaurebell wrote:

I was feeling sorry for Tom this afternoon...

...but then I realised he might be bringing things on himself!

6 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:11 pm

Radioclare wrote:
blaurebell wrote:

I was feeling sorry for Tom this afternoon...

...but then I realised he might be bringing things on himself!

Maybe this is why Tom ended up in prison :o (I'd been wondering about that!)
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:20 am

So far Tom has been very boring in my courses. I don't think he's done anything more exciting than go to work.
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:28 pm

I'm thinking of joining up just to hear more about the life and times of Tom.
5 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm starting to think that Tom needs his own appreciation thread. I made a start on some of the sentences in Serbian Clozemaster the other day and they are even darker than the Croatian sentences...

Then later I switched back to Croatian and got this disturbing news...

Not really sure where Tom can go from there :lol:
7 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Radioclare » Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:00 pm

I don't feel like I've achieved much this week. Maybe because I spent half of it changing my passwords :lol: No, I think mainly because it was a short week with Easter, and having a few days of work seems to have ruined all my discipline and good intentions.

I did finish reading 'Slušaj i gledaj, Latice', which gave me 573 pages to add to my Super Challenge total. In all honesty, I woudn't recommend. As I said before, it's a family memoir and some members of the family have had truly fascinating experiences and lived through really interesting world events. But having an interesting life doesn't necessarily make someone an engaging writer. Too much of the book was "And then we did this. And then we met so-and-so you've never heard of who was the second cousin of so-and-so who you've also never heard of but they were someone important and so I'm mentioning them to make me sound extra-important". There was a lot of name-dropping, and the entire family had such a privileged existence in different ways that it was difficult to identify with any of them or feel any real empathy for them, even when really tragic things happened. It was interesting to have read once and it's a nice-looking hardback to sit on my shelf, but I don't think I'd read it again.

Happily, I've now started reading a Croatian novel which is a million times better: 'Kalendar Maja' by Zoran Ferić. This one is about a newly retired guy from Zagreb who decides it would be nice to organise a reunion with his school classmates and repeat the journey they made decades ago when they passed their final school exams.

The prose is beautiful - it's the kind of book you want to read slowly, to enjoy each sentence. I'm almost sad I'm going away next weekend and it's quite a big hardback book, so too heavy for me to take with me :(

Otherwise I've watched a couple more episodes of Larin izbor, done a few more lessons of Glossika, messed around quite a bit with Clozemaster and failed to write 100 words every day. I feel like I need something to restore my motivation, so it's quite convenient that it's almost time for a 6WC.

The only problem with the 6WC is that I don't really want to sign up with Russian, which would be my genuine beginner language, because I'm not planning to do any serious Russian until after my Croatia holiday in June. It feels like it would be unsporting to sign up with Croatian though, as I'm not really a beginner and I can spend lots of hours doing "easy" activities like reading and watching TV rather than real learning. The timing of the 6WC would be absolutely perfect to give me a boost with Croatian though, because it finishes on 11 June, and I go to Croatia on 15 June. So I'm contemplating signing up with Russian anyway, not doing any Russian, and just using the bot to track my Croatian.
5 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 23, 2017 7:57 pm

I'm thinking of doing the same thing. I'll probably sign up with Finnish, and actually do Spanish.

I think Serbocroatian Tom must lead a more interesting life than any of the Toms I've encountered so far, or maybe I just need to start working on some harder sentences.
1 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:33 am

I feel you could write a Larin izboresque drama with the life of Tom. Maybe you could use sentences about his life as a starting point? I'm seriously tempted...
2 x

Return to “Language logs”