Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Radioclare's 2017 log (Croatian/Russian)

Postby Serpent » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:32 am

You can sign up with "Serbian" and count them as separate languages ;)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Daniel N.
Green Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), English (C1), German (beginner)

Postby Daniel N. » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:35 pm

Radioclare wrote:Happily, I've now started reading a Croatian novel which is a million times better: 'Kalendar Maja' by Zoran Ferić. This one is about a newly retired guy from Zagreb who decides it would be nice to organise a reunion with his school classmates and repeat the journey they made decades ago when they passed their final school exams.

The prose is beautiful - it's the kind of book you want to read slowly, to enjoy each sentence. I'm almost sad I'm going away next weekend and it's quite a big hardback book, so too heavy for me to take with me :(

Ferić is quite acclaimed, but some people find his novels quite dark and so on. Since you have a Kindle, you might consider using an electronic copy.
1 x
Check Easy Croatian (very useful for Bosnian, Montenegrin and Serbian as well)

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Elenia wrote:I feel you could write a Larin izboresque drama with the life of Tom. Maybe you could use sentences about his life as a starting point? I'm seriously tempted...

:lol:

I was thinking the other day that maybe we should start using Tom-sentences as writing prompts for the Output Challenge. Trying to write the back story for some of these sentences would be more exciting than writing 100 words about what I did at work today :D
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 pm

Radioclare wrote:
Elenia wrote:I feel you could write a Larin izboresque drama with the life of Tom. Maybe you could use sentences about his life as a starting point? I'm seriously tempted...

I was thinking the other day that maybe we should start using Tom-sentences as writing prompts for the Output Challenge. Trying to write the back story for some of these sentences would be more exciting than writing 100 words about what I did at work today :D

OH Wow! Great idea, why don't you post it into the challenge thread as a mini-challenge for this month? Although you'll have to give some sample Tom sentences.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:41 am

rdearman wrote:
Radioclare wrote:

OH Wow! Great idea, why don't you post it into the challenge thread as a mini-challenge for this month? Although you'll have to give some sample Tom sentences.

Maybe let's make it a challenge for May? There's not all that much of April left!
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:46 am

Elenia wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Radioclare wrote:

Maybe let's make it a challenge for May? There's not all that much of April left!

Yes! Yes! I was thinking of making a thread called "The Life of Tom" or something like that, where everyone could post screenshots of weird Tom sentences they'd come across. But adding in a writing challenge makes it even better.

So far, the only "trouble" Tom has gotten into in my Clozemaster, was going to bed a little late. My Tom is so boring.
3 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:36 am

I have a Tom on one of the anki decks I downloaded for Italian (is this a thing, having a Tom in every srs?) and he is boring too. Although he recently got himself a girlfriend named Mary.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:59 am

rdearman wrote:I have a Tom on one of the anki decks I downloaded for Italian (is this a thing, having a Tom in every srs?) and he is boring too. Although he recently got himself a girlfriend named Mary.

They might be the same sentences. Clozemaster uses sentences from Tatoeba and since anyone can use their sentences, your Anki deck might be using the same sentences. Tom does have a girlfriend named Mary in Clozemaster too.
0 x

Radioclare
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Esperanto, German, Croatian
Learns: Russian

Postby Radioclare » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:Yes! Yes! I was thinking of making a thread called "The Life of Tom" or something like that, where everyone could post screenshots of weird Tom sentences they'd come across. But adding in a writing challenge makes it even better.

So far, the only "trouble" Tom has gotten into in my Clozemaster, was going to bed a little late. My Tom is so boring.

How about we have a life of Tom thread anyway to post the screenshots to, then link to it in the Output Challenge thread with the mini-challenge for the month?? Otherwise we probably risk the Output Challenge thread getting too cluttered up with Tom :D I agree it would be better to do it as a May challenge so we've got more time to write, and also that leaves a few days of Clozemaster to collect some Tom sentences :)

I just remembered I'm not even doing the Output Challenge this time, but never mind; perhaps I am now :lol:

Btw I also thought Tom had a girlfriend called Mary, but I had a sentence over the weekend which said that Mary was Tom's sister, so then I felt a bit disturbed.
3 x

JohannaNYC
Yellow Belt
Languages: In order of fluency: English (L2), Spanish (L1),
Italian (Adv.), Croatian (Int.), French (Adv. Beg.),
Egyptian Arabic (Beg.), Greek (New Beg.), Russian (New Beg.)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15795

Postby JohannaNYC » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:07 pm

Where do I find this Croatian Clozemaster?!
0 x
Corrections welcomed!

Return to “Language logs”