the Diaries of a Caffeinated Squirrel

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: the Diaries of a Caffeinated Squirrel

Postby rdearman » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:10 pm

"If you're going through hell, keep going." Winston Churchill.
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Xmmm
Blue Belt
Languages: ru it tr

Postby Xmmm » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:56 pm

Cavesa wrote:Thanks a lot, friends.
reineke wrote:I like your country. Work on the two opportunities. Figure out if France is a dead end. Spain is even further away, however. If German is optional, drop it for now.

You're not a doctor there. :-D That is the difference. And the conditions are not improving quite the opposite. We got a novel of the law concerning medical training of young doctors in November. It got even worse.

German is not that optional, as that is the most probable option. They are taking doctors all the time, without further exams, you "just" need the degree and language skills. I just don't like the German speaking countries that much.

Live in Strasbourg, work in Offenburg or Freiburg or Karlsruhe. Why doesn't that solve the problem? It's not like France and Germany are on opposite sides of the earth.

Or work in southern Austria and live in a one room apartment for a few years, but meantime buy your weekend dacha in northern Italy.

Everything in Europe is pretty squished together right?
1 x

Ещё раз сунешь голову туда — окажешься внутри. Поняла, Фемида? -- аигел

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:22 am

Do you mean it's a competition to pass the exams, or to get a job as a doctor?

Exams are very stressful, it's why I haven't done an exam since I was 14. Maybe you try to do too much with all the languages as well? of course french is necessary when you are studying in France, but it seems a lot to study other languages as well with your medical exams. you're a genius, so like Iversen and tarvos you can do many things, but all the people have a limit of what's possible. i don;t advise you, it would be ridiciulus, but I'm trying to think of some suggestions.

good luck veverka :)
1 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:17 pm

You play the flute and I play the violin, so i have thougth that maybe we could play a duet!!! ? if you want.

Do you know a piece for violin and flute, or a piece which would be possible for this combination? then one (you or me) records it, then the other plays with the recording. It would be fun, but no stress, if you prefer not.

The squirrel and bird duo

I will delete my preceding post, if you want. I thought that maybe you don't like it or that it's inappropriate, I don't know. I mean about you and so many langauges and that you're a genius. please tell me.
0 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:50 pm

1331698153-squirrelhascoffee.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:10 pm

The exam is a kind of both. It is the end of the medschool. But the score decides about your future. If you are in the last third, there is no choice left.

Thanks for the squirrel photos! I love them! :-)

About flute: perhaps later. I am exhumating my skills now. It will take a while. :-D

I spent approximately 2 hours on German this week. Memrise. I have finished the Themen Aktuell wordlist, I just have tons of reviews left. That is a good thing, I can move forward. No Spanish, except for a bit of Aguila Roja (I admit that).

Bad news. I am noticing my French has been deteriorating in France. Of course I speak and use it, but only in medicine. Since a friend who lived in the other room for rent here left, I've been feeling a bit lonely. Recently, I had the opportunity to talk with the lady at whose place I live about tons of interesting stuff. Politics, sports, and so on. But quite basic words are eluding me now. I am forgetting even quite basic stuff, that is not medicine. I think my accent is quite the same. But vocabulary is an issue.

Not meeting that many people outside the hospital is one root of the problem. Another: media. I am reading much less fiction (as I have exchanged it for textbooks) and I am not watching movies or tv series almost at all. Curiously, I get much more immersed in non-medical French in my own room in Prague. It is a kind of a failure. Perhaps a personality issue, I simply need a bit more time and more obvious opportunities to make friends. But I am still more than convinced my choice not to join the classical Erasmus style social life was correct.

One of my most important self-assesment criteria: sense of humour in the language. My sense of humour may be bad (it is very subjective after all), but I like to have the same one in all my languages, without any langauge barrier. But in French, I am just now getting used to it, as I am "shy". I am too nervous about not making a bad impression here, so my usual sarcasm is mostly gone. It was more ok with the friend here, in the same house, with whom we could just grab a coffee and talk, those were great moments. That is not so easy among students, who run from hospital to class and than to supplementary paid classes in the evening and in between, if they have a bit of time, to the library todive into the textbooks.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:16 pm

If anyone wants to join my French review group on Memrise:
http://www.memrise.com/group/143603/

I cannot give too much time to it, but I obviously need to start doing something about the problem. It may totally be just subjective, this impression of becoming worse and worse, but what if it's not.

This may be a bad time for any self-assessments. I don't feel particularily good at anything :-D
2 x

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Thanks for your PM :)

You were busy today! -->

ImageImageImageImage
1 x

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Feb 12, 2017 8:30 pm

I think you need to rest and focus on your priorities. I know that all work and no play make Cavesa a dull girl, but if this is what you want then you should do it. And if you don't - then it's never too late to turn back.
4 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:28 pm

Cavesa wrote:If anyone wants to join my French review group on Memrise:
http://www.memrise.com/group/143603/

I cannot give too much time to it, but I obviously need to start doing something about the problem. It may totally be just subjective, this impression of becoming worse and worse, but what if it's not.

This may be a bad time for any self-assessments. I don't feel particularily good at anything :-D

I can't speak English when I am stressed. It is hard to imagine you would be at peak performance in a second language when you feel under pressure. I always came home from my exam weeks stammering and stuttering just trying to make normal conversation. Brains get tired. Relax and work hard :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Return to “Language logs”