Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:31 am

blaurebell wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:The hardest part is finding a good dictionary to link to.

I find wordreference.com the best LWT companion for Spanish and French.

Brun Ugle wrote:I’m also going to continue my intensive analysis of texts in LWT and I’ve joined the April vocabulary challenge because vocabulary is one of my biggest weaknesses now.

Actually, LWT is great for vocabulary. I didn't use any flashcards for French, just LWT. It's like a frequency based SRS with lots of context. Just make sure you type the Spanish base form into the romanisation field as well and don't skip words that you only understand because you just saw a different form of it 5 minutes ago.

That's the dictionary I've been using. It's pretty good, but I would prefer something a little better. And I haven't found anything I really liked for German or Finnish yet, but I also haven't looked so hard. And I haven't looked at Japanese or Esperanto yet at all.

I've been inputting all the base forms of verbs, but I'm not sure it's really all that necessary for Spanish, at least not at my level. I don't have trouble with conjugations or knowing what form something is. But I add them anyway, as well as marking everything with tags. I was actually reading your log a bit to see how you work with it in order to get some ideas. For German, I will definitely need to make sure to write in base forms and maybe even indicate how to form plurals of the nouns and any irregular conjugations of verbs.
1 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby blaurebell » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:48 am

Brun Ugle wrote:That's the dictionary I've been using. It's pretty good, but I would prefer something a little better.

I haven't really found anything better myself, I'm afraid. The problem is that for efficiency reasons it has to fit in the box without much scrolling and give pretty accurate results too. Usually both in combination is hard to find. Wordreference at least has a ton of entries which makes it a lot better than for example the kindle dictionaries. The kindle dictionaries tend to be more thorough with the words they do include, which is great, but it doesn't help me much with slang or unusual words used in different regions. For French it's fine, but with Spanish I always have tons of gaps with the kindle, whereas wordreference works better for me.

Brun Ugle wrote:I've been inputting all the base forms of verbs, but I'm not sure it's really all that necessary for Spanish, at least not at my level.

I don't think it's necessary for grammar, but it introduces the TL in the active part of the exercise, so that's always better. I think in Fortheo's log Xmmm and I had a short comparison of numbers between LWT and LingQ. LingQ is less active because you don't have to do any typing. Xmmm had a much lower ratio of known vs unknown words in LingQ than I have in LWT, although I have read much less, so I think all the typing really helps!
2 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:07 pm

Thank you! I will give it another shot!
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 06, 2017 3:51 pm

I signed up for the same hotel, (read Jeff's log) and a couple of the tours. I've never been there so thought I'd try and throw in some tourist stuff. :) Don't forget you owe me a beer! (Pity I missed out on the chocolate cookies though :( )
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:29 pm

rdearman wrote:I signed up for the same hotel, (read Jeff's log) and a couple of the tours. I've never been there so thought I'd try and throw in some tourist stuff. :) Don't forget you owe me a beer! (Pity I missed out on the chocolate cookies though :( )

Well, then you'll have to put up with Dave again. He's in the same hotel. And he still talks about that time he scared you, so watch out. He's probably going to try it again. I didn't sign up for any of the tours because he convinced me to go see Vienna and Budapest with him.
0 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Thu Apr 06, 2017 5:34 pm

I haven't booked yet but I'm definitely going! Although my level of Finnish is definitely not what it should be. But the levels of all my languages are awkward, including English!
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 pm

Elenia wrote:I haven't booked yet but I'm definitely going! Although my level of Finnish is definitely not what it should be. But the levels of all my languages are awkward, including English!

My Finnish is basically nonexistent, so I hope there won't be a test. You shouldn't wait too long to book because I got an email not so long ago that said the prices would be increased soon, but they didn't say when or by how much. We're staying in Dominika in case you want to book the same hotel.
2 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Postby Elenia » Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:09 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:I haven't booked yet but I'm definitely going! Although my level of Finnish is definitely not what it should be. But the levels of all my languages are awkward, including English!

My Finnish is basically nonexistent, so I hope there won't be a test. You shouldn't wait too long to book because I got an email not so long ago that said the prices would be increased soon, but they didn't say when or by how much. We're staying in Dominika in case you want to book the same hotel.

I will! Payday has just come around but I managed to spend much of my money again by not being on top of flight booking stuff. Would rather that didn't happen this time around!

And yes, it would be nice to be in the same hotel as you guys! If they do double rooms, I am still on the market for a share, to all interested parties!
2 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:17 am

I haven't signed up yet, I should. It's 120 euro till the end of april, at least the site says so, than it will be 140 and even later even more.

It is a bit sad they are giving 50% discount to students, up to 26 years. I am 26. I am still just a worthless student without option to regularily earn money. Well, it is worth the investment, but I need to find a cheaper accomodation.

I'd be up for room sharing. I don't snore, and I haven't been talking in sleep since I don't know when.
Another option is asking all my slovak classmates, whether they'd have a free couch for a few nights. But I am not sure this would be a successful mission, vast majority is not from Bratislava anyways.

And it is gonna be a strong motivation to do at least some of my exams sooner than that! :-)

Too bad I failed the Finnish mission....
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:20 am

Cavesa wrote:Too bad I failed the Finnish mission....

Me too... but don't worry I'm sure we can drown our sorrows in a nice chocolate milkshake or even beer. :)
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “Language logs”