Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:14 pm

We are now one week into 2017 and I’m very pleased with myself because I’ve consistently written the date with 2017 from day one. Also, I got in a bit of studying.

I just realized that I never explained why I’m suddenly an Easily Distracted Tortoise instead of a Brown Owl. The name Brown Owl came from a dream I had back in my 20’s in which I was an owl. It suited me then, back when I felt like I could fly. Now in my 40’s though, I’m much more of an easily distracted tortoise, something that definitely doesn’t fly and doesn’t even move very fast. The name came about when Cavesa suggested our race to complete the GdUdE books was like a race between two easily distracted turtles. I chose to change it to tortoise because as everyone knows, turtles can swim and have ninja skills, and tortoises just meander about eating fruit and hiding in their shells at every strange sound. That sounds more like my style, although…….. I do like pizza……..

Now for a summary of the first week of the year: I didn’t do so badly. I decided to go back to tracking my time in an Excel spreadsheet. I’d stopped for a few years because it was getting a little inconvenient and stressful, but my life has changed a bit since then and now I think it could be useful again. I’ve also gone back to weekly goals…… sort of. I’m not going to do it like I did at the start of last year when I used to list up all my goals for the week in my log and then check off what I’d accomplished at the end of the week. That got to be a bit too much. Instead, I’m simply listing them on a little scrap of paper. I’m also being a bit looser about the goals themselves. For each language, I list one or two things that I will prioritize getting through that week and also a few extra things I can do if I feel like it. I look at them more as suggestions or guidelines than goals. The idea is just to give me a bit of focus so I don’t sit around too much thinking, “What should I do next?” Instead, I can just look at the list and it will tell me what my priorities are for the week. It seemed to work well this week, so I’m going to keep doing it for now.

I didn’t feel any wanderlust this week despite everyone’s efforts to distract me. I think you just made me immune instead. So, good job! :P

Spanish

My first priority was lesson 31 in FSI basic, which I did. This was the first lesson in part 3 and there is a bit of a jump from part 2. It’s not that it’s much harder, but that up to now, the readings and discussion questions at the end have been about visiting neighbors, playing tennis, shopping, etc. Now suddenly the reading and discussion questions were about trade between Latin America and Europe and between Latin America and the US. I didn’t really bother with that much. I read it, but that was all. I like FSI for the drills, but I think for reading and discussion, I can find more interesting topics elsewhere. I also did a GLOSS lesson. Those I think can be very useful and I intend to try to do them fairly regularly.

I still haven’t started a new TV series, but I did start reading a book. I had trouble getting started on reading this week. I tried to start a book in German and another in Spanish and didn’t get anywhere with either. I’m not sure if the level was too high for me, or if I was just too tired when I tried to start them. Anyway, I tried again with another book and this one was easy. I’m almost halfway through already even though I only started on Thursday. It’s another one of those free Kindle books. It’s a rather cheesy romance novel, but it’s very easy for me to follow, so I don’t mind. I don’t think I’d bother with it in English because it is very formulaic (why do people in romance novels always have to start out disliking each other, or at least arguing all the time before they fall in love? I can’t imagine falling for someone who always wanted to argue). Since it is easy to read and is in Kindle, and I can look up words with a simple touch, I have been looking up and highlighting every word or phrase that I don’t know, sort of halfway know, know but in a different context, or just feel a little bit curious about. I find it easier to read intensively when I don’t really need to for some reason. I’ve learned some interesting expressions as well. One of my favorites was the Spanish way of referring to a strapless dress --- “palabra de honor” --- “word of honor.” I guess because all you have is its word of honor that it will stay up. :lol:

Esperanto

I spent the minimum of time working on Esperanto. I’m trying to review the Duolingo course and make my tree gold again, but I usually get tired of Duolingo after about 10-15 minutes.

German

My priority was to review lesson 1 of FSI Basic, but I was really hoping to review a couple of lessons and get back to new stuff sooner. However, with one thing and another, I only got through the first lesson. I also did one easy GLOSS lesson. I chose an easy one, because I wasn’t feeling very well and didn’t feel up to anything too complicated at the time. I also continued to watch my telenovela, Sophie – Braut wider Willen. I got through 14 episodes this week, but they are only 24 minutes each, so that’s not as much as it sounds. I really like the show though. It’s not as cheesy as I’d expected, and I find myself getting attached to the characters. I even like the bad guy. I keep finding myself wondering if he isn’t starting to change and become nice.

Japanese

I didn’t do much for Japanese either. On my list, I only wrote that I should review the first chapter of my old beginner textbook, but I’d hoped to review a bit more than that since it’s so elementary. Still, at least I’m finally getting back to Japanese. I also started reviewing some kanji. I’m not making kanji a priority though. I hope to review my textbook and then start working on listening comprehension. But I will work it in gradually.

Finnish

I did six days of Assimil, so six lessons each in both passive and active waves. That means I’ve done up to 62 passive and 13 active.

Norwegian

I started reviewing an old TY textbook. The modern one. I have the old one too, but I’ll look at that later. Of course, there is nothing surprising there, but it’s nice to look at because I sometimes find myself having doubts about very elementary things. That’s one of the problems with speaking a language in real life. When you start speaking a dialect, you sometimes start to forget what the rules are in the standard form. I’ve just reviewed the first four chapters, so it will take me a few weeks to get through the book at this rate. It’s funny how awkward all the dialogues seem now. Of course, it’s hard to make very simple dialogues for beginners without them sounding a bit unnatural. I don’t think that kind of unnaturalness is really a problem, though I know some people hate it.

Danish

There was a Danish advent calendar available on the NRK app (Norwegian TV), but it was going to expire soon, so I decided to watch it fairly quickly as it looked like it would be fun. It turned out to be fantastic and I would recommend watching it if you get the chance. It was an advent calendar, so 24 episodes of course, and each episode was about 20-25 minutes. It was meant for children, but not small children. Actually, I had a nightmare one of the first nights I watched it, so it’s a bit scary. It was called, Den Annen Verden (The other world), and is about a girl who is transported into the world in which the Grimm fairytales take place. It was really well done and so exciting. I watched a few episodes each night on Monday and Tuesday, but then on Tuesday night I suddenly got a terrible stomach ache. I actually took a bucket to bed with me, but thankfully it was unnecessary. However, I still felt bad on Wednesday, so I spent the whole day lying on the couch watching the rest of the show.

Danish is kind of fun. It sounds a bit like someone who is trying to speak Norwegian, but they’ve just been to the dentist and had two or three root-fillings and their mouth and tongue are so numb they can’t really enunciate most of the consonants and even their vowels come out sort of mushy and halfhearted.

Swedish

Everyone over on Systematiker’s log has been playing along with the quiz-show På spåret. I was feeling a bit left out, so I decided to try an episode. I did absolutely horrendously. Part of my problem is that I don’t find the show all that engrossing and my mind tends to wander a bit, so I don’t always catch the entire clue. Also, I just don’t know a lot of the things they asked about. The sports questions are completely out and I tend not to know the music questions either. Geography is sort of half and half. It depends what the clues are. I haven’t watched the episode from this Friday yet. I’ll see if I get around to it, or if I find something more fun to do. I think it could be fun to watch together with a group, but it’s not so much fun alone. I’m not really a quiz-show person, I guess.

Oh, and just in case someone gets the wrong idea, Danish and Swedish aren’t signs of wanderlust. Those are part of my Northern Germanic Super Challenge.
8 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=708

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Elenia » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:39 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:I did absolutely horrendously.

You still did better than me though :oops:

Brun Ugle wrote:Oh, and just in case someone gets the wrong idea, Danish and Swedish aren’t signs of wanderlust. Those are part of my Northern Germanic Super Challenge.

Yep, sure. Pull the other one, it's got bells on.
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:22 am

Time for another update. Things started out a little rough when I thought I was dying of hypochondria on Sunday. You probably wonder how someone could die of hypochondria, but the logic is that I know I’m a bit of a hypochondriac. That means I often feel like I have some horrific ailment, but I assume that it’s probably just hypochondria, so I don’t go to the doctor. That means that if I ever do get some awful disease, I will assume it’s really nothing and I will die because I didn’t go to the doctor. Anyway, I had a bit of a panic attack on Sunday and didn’t get much studying in, but things picked up again on Monday. And the good news is – I’m still not dead! Yay!

Spanish
I finished another FSI lesson and a GLOSS lesson. I also finished reading my book, which turned out to be really bad. The first half was a bit formulaic, but the last half was absolutely terrible. Nothing happened. In a romance novel, there have to be some evil step-sisters or something in the way. You can’t get to living happily ever after in the middle of the book! Every time something happened that I thought would lead to conflict, it was immediately resolved without fuss or difficulty. A life without drama and conflict might be nice, but it makes for a very boring book. Anyway, I finished it in order to be able to count it in the Super Challenge, but I read the last part pretty fast just to get it over with.

I also joined the Output Challenge this year with Spanish. I haven’t yet started the spoken part though. I plan to start this week, otherwise it will become overwhelming, but I will start with short recordings and build up as I get better. The written part doesn’t seem like it’s going to be a problem. I’m already past my target minimum. Do you remember that telenovela I was watching? The one that I knew before even getting to the end that it was going to end all wrong, and that María would marry that bozo, Arturo, instead of the nice doctor, Andrés? Well, I’d already been thinking, even before it ended, that I should write a fan-fiction and “fix” it. But I never got around to it because it was such a daunting project. However, the Output Challenge gave me the incentive I needed to start. It’s turning out to be kind of fun, but really, really hard. My writing speed seems to be about 8-9 words a minute. (I am so definitely a tortoise. Why did I ever think I was an owl?) Part of the reason I’m so slow is that I have to keep looking up words and sometimes I check the grammar. You know, I never actually thought the subjunctive was hard, but the other day, I got stuck on a phrase using “hasta que” and my brain felt like it was stuck in a time loop worthy of a Star Trek episode. I think though, it might have just been too late at night, because it didn’t seem so bad in the morning. Really though, if we ever invent time-travel, I bet the Spanish will be ready with all the tenses you need to talk about things you already did in a future that doesn’t yet exist, or things already done by you in the past, but which you have yet to experience doing. Ha ha! Now you’ve all got your brains stuck in a time-loop trying to figure that one out.

Writing as slowly as I’ve been doing makes it very difficult to tell the story. I can only write about 200 – 400 words per day. Going so slowly means I keep changing my mind about the story. I think I need to make myself a better outline. I knew what I wanted to happen when I started, but the characters don’t always cooperate, and with a whole day in between each little scene, doubts start creeping into my mind and I make changes to my plan. Maybe if I wrote it down, I would make fewer changes.

Esperanto
I’ve only done Duolingo. I think I should have the whole tree gold in another couple of weeks.

German
I’m still watching Sophie – Braut wider Willen on YouTube. It’s really grown on me. I think it’s a pretty good series and it’s a shame that it got cut short. It was apparently originally planned to have about twice as many episodes as it has, but it wasn’t all that popular, so they wrapped it up early. It’s a historical romance telenovela. I have some doubts about the historical accuracy of some of it, but I like the characters, and the scenery and costumes are, of course, beautiful. The noble women go around in these massive hoopskirts all the time and there are always candles everywhere, so I keep waiting for one of them to brush against a candle and go up in flames, but so far they’ve managed to avoid that. Sophie did knock over a small table with her skirt at one point and her father had to catch it mid-air. That was kind of fun, and I’m pretty sure, unintentional.

I’ve only reviewed one FSI lesson and done one GLOSS lesson as far as real study is concerned. I’m still not so sure about FSI for German. I’m considering asking on the German group for some suggestions for good textbooks. I’m thinking of breaking down and buying one. I have some grammar workbooks, but I need some proper textbooks that introduce things in a logical order. My grammar workbooks don’t really do that, so they are better for review after one has already learned the material. I did do Assimil, of course, but I find it hard to really learn the grammar from them because they try to make everything too painless and grammar-free. I like to have a good overview of the grammar so I can see how things work.

Japanese
I’m still having trouble getting up my enthusiasm for Japanese, but I am feeling brief flashes of it now and then, so I think it will come back eventually. The problem is that I need to review everything, but it is kind of boring and frustrating to review things you used to know so well at one point. It’s like going back to kindergarten. I only got through one chapter of my textbook, even though it is all very elementary. I need to pick up speed a little or it’s going to take forever to get back to the level where I once was.

Finnish
I studied another six lessons in each wave. Assimil is fun, but for some reason I always dread starting. I never want to start the day’s lesson, but once I do, I generally find it pleasant enough. I had the same problem when I was doing Assimil for German. Since my Assimil course for Finnish is in German it really is “mit extra Mühe” and I find it a bit exhausting, so maybe that is part of the problem. I also feel that I miss some of the details in the explanations, so the grammar explanations become even more lacking than usual. I want to go through the FSI course and some others too, but right now Assimil seems to be all I can handle. I don’t want to slow down on Assimil either because I find it works best without many breaks.

Norwegian
I reviewed another four lessons in my very elementary textbook and haven’t come across any surprises or anything that I needed to be reminded of this time. I do feel my Norwegian has suffered a bit over the years though. My writing was never exactly elegant, but it is much less so now. I should probably do an output challenge in it as well.
6 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:33 am

I'm glad you're not dead! It sounds like you're doing loads - you should be proud! I love the idea of writing a fanfiction for the Output Challenge. (Would it be weird to watch the show so I can read the fanfiction? :) )
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:55 pm

Well, I just made my first video in Spanish for the output challenge. It was 8 minutes and 43 seconds of incoherent rambling, but it wasn't as bad as I'd feared. I think my pronunciation and grammar was pretty good, which shouldn't be surprising since I'm always told so, but it was nice to hear it for myself. I was kind of nervous though. I think as I get used to making videos and get over my nervousness, I will get much better. My Spanish isn't great, but it would be much better if it weren't for the added pressure of recording it. Or at least the incoherent rambling might be reduced.

This output challenge is making me very excited though. I should have done this before. Seriously! I can already feel a difference and I've written less than 3000 words so far. And my speaking isn't enough to even show on the progress bar yet.

MamaPata wrote:I'm glad you're not dead! It sounds like you're doing loads - you should be proud! I love the idea of writing a fanfiction for the Output Challenge. (Would it be weird to watch the show so I can read the fanfiction? :) )

Are you nuts?! I'm embarrassed enough just admitting that I'm writing it. :oops: I can't imagine I'll ever feel confident enough to let anyone read any of it. Believe me; it's bad. It will be interesting to reread it in a year or two and see how bad it really is. Right now, I know it's bad, but I really can't tell how bad. Writing a fan fiction is much more fun than just doing writing prompts though. I'm not sure how far I would get on this challenge if I were just doing ordinary writing exercises because that would feel like work. This is just pure fun. It's still hard and takes me forever, but it's so much fun.

I've been secretly reading the thread for your Russian group, but I'm trying not to start anything new until I get my routine under control. It's so tempting though.

ロータス wrote:For Japanese, wouldn't it be easier to just go read or listen something easy and look up what you have forgotten. I can't remember if you said what level you used to be at but I don't think going through a boring textbook is going to help you much.

I've actually decided to do about 15 minutes a day in the textbook and be more regular about it than I have been. I think that will help. I have much more enthusiasm when I work on a language a little each day. I'm just reviewing it so that I can remember how everything works. I'm not doing it as thoroughly as I did the first time, so it really isn't that bad. But I do need a proper textbook review at the moment. It should go quickly though because it is just review; I'm not really learning anything new.

I never really had a high level in Japanese. I could read and my level of reading was probably in the B's somewhere, but that was because I knew a lot of kanji. All my other skills were pretty bad. Now I know a good bit more about learning languages, so I feel like this time I should be better equipped to learn the language properly.

I will start listening to stuff soon. I'm still trying to work Japanese into my routine little-by-little though, so it will probably be a few weeks. I need to find something interesting and fairly easy to listen to too.
6 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I really should not enter a bookstore without a chaperone. I went in to buy a NOK 40 home archive (or whatever those plastic folder things with the 12 pockets are called in English). I walked out again more than an hour later having spent nearly 20 times that and carrying a book on Norwegian grammar, a book on the history of the English language and a bunch of notebooks. Oh, and the archive thingy, of course. And it's a tiny bookstore!!!
6 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C1), French (Massively Atrophied) German (lowly beginner, somehow learnt to read)

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Sadly almost every day of my life is walking into a bookshop unchaperoned. I call it 'work'. I have about £200 worth of books waiting for me to buy them, way more than I read in the previous four years put together! (Including three language courses and a children's book in Korean).
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Wed Jan 18, 2017 12:21 pm

Elenia wrote:Sadly almost every day of my life is walking into a bookshop unchaperoned. I call it 'work'. I have about £200 worth of books waiting for me to buy them, way more than I read in the previous four years put together! (Including three language courses and a children's book in Korean).

That would be a dream job, except I'd probably have a negative income from it.
4 x

Elenia
Black Belt - 1st Dan

Finnish?!

Postby Elenia » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:40 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Elenia wrote:Sadly almost every day of my life is walking into a bookshop unchaperoned. I call it 'work'. I have about £200 worth of books waiting for me to buy them, way more than I read in the previous four years put together! (Including three language courses and a children's book in Korean).

That would be a dream job, except I'd probably have a negative income from it.

It's called 'reinvesting' :lol:
2 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:28 pm

This week I’ve been trying to get my sleep schedule back on track without much success. I envy those who can go to bed and get up 7-8 hours later fully rested. I need 7-8 hours of sleep, but it often takes me 10 hours to get that sleep. My brain can’t seem to decide if I should be an early bird or a night owl and randomly changes. So sometimes, I need to go to bed at 8 or 9 at night and wake up at 5 or 6, and other times I can’t sleep until well after midnight and can’t wake up until 9 or 10 or so in the morning. And then there are times like now, when I’m tired, sometimes to the point of nearly fainting in the afternoons, but at night I sleep for a few hours during the first part of the night, am wide awake in the early morning hours from midnight or 1 until 3 or 4 and then fall asleep again. So, at the moment, I’m rather tired and cranky because I’m not getting enough sleep and I end up wasting a lot of time trying to get some sleep or being too tired to be productive when I’m awake.

Spanish
Another chapter of FSI and another GLOSS lesson done. I’m continuing with the output challenge. I’m behind on the speaking part, but hopefully I’ll manage more as I get better at speaking. I’ve also had some problems with Windows Live Movie Maker crashing while I’m recording, which has hindered me in recording as much as I’d have liked. Actually, I’m starting to wonder if maybe I might need to get a new computer sometime soon. It’s acting weirder and weirder. It’s probably about 6 years old now and has never been quite right ever since I updated to Windows 10. I probably shouldn’t have done that.

My fan fiction is still going, but so slowly. I broke my personal speed record for writing in Spanish one day when I hit 11 words per minute. Yay! I tried to outline my story a little, but it never goes how I expected anyway, so now I’m back to making it up as I go. It’s frustrating in one way because I never know where to start, but fun in another because each new scene is a surprise to me almost as much as if I were reading the story and not writing it. As for my writing ability in Spanish, sometimes when I finish a writing session I feel like the resulting scene is great literature (I’m probably delusional, I know), and other times I feel like the scene might have been written by a bunch of monkeys. Not those renowned Shakespeare-writing monkeys, but ordinary poo-flinging monkeys.

I’m at that point in my Spanish learning where it is a lot of fun because I can do so much, but it’s also very hard and painful to improve. It requires me to put a lot of work in and to constantly stretch my limits.

Esperanto
I didn’t do much with Esperanto this week either. I’m still trying to get my Duolingo tree gold. I keep reviewing and reviewing, but the last part of the tree is very reluctant to turn gold. Last week I said it would probably take two more weeks to turn the whole tree gold, but now I think I’ll still need two weeks. I’m going to try to get start doing more with Esperanto again in the coming week.

German
Another chapter of FSI and another GLOSS lesson done. I’ve also been doing a bit of Duolingo. It’s more fun now that the German Study Group has made a Duolingo Club. I missed a few days this week even so, but I’ve definitely been more motivated than I had been. There is also a Memrise Group, and I need to check out the courses there to see if there is one that can be useful to me. I’ve had trouble finding Memrise courses I like for German even though I do like Memrise for Spanish.

I also did a marathon TV binge last night and finished up my telenovela, Sophie – Braut wider Willen. Apparently they had originally planned for the show to have something like 130 episodes, but it wasn’t as popular as they’d hoped and they cut it short at 65 episodes. It’s very evident in the last few episodes that they were in a rush to finish and give everyone (except the bad guys) a happy ending. Still, overall I liked the show and if you’re looking for a fairly easy-to-follow telenovela in the historical romance genre in German, I would recommend it. The whole thing is on YouTube.

I also started reading one of the books I picked up last year in Berlin. It’s an Agatha Christie novel in German, so it’s fairly easy for me to follow. I’ve been reading it extensively since it is a physical book and that makes looking up words too much trouble. So I’ve only checked a couple of the most important ones. I’m about halfway through the book, so I hope I can finish it this week.

Japanese
This week I managed to review two chapters of my old textbook. I think it is better when I try to spend at least 15-20 minutes a day on Japanese instead of hopping over too many days. When I do that, I remember more easily why I liked the language.

Finnish
Only 5 Assimil lessons this week. It’s starting to get harder. Definitely “Extra Mühe.” Sometimes I not only have to figure out the Finnish; first I have to figure out the German. So, it means I get a little extra German study on the side.

Norwegian
I can’t say I really did anything much with Norwegian. I looked a bit more through my old textbook, and it struck me that it must have already been a bit out of date even when it was written. I think I will go through my basic grammar after this (the one written for English speakers), and then read the grammar book I bought last week, which is written for Norwegians. I’m a little excited about that one.

It’s only just over a week until the next 6WC and I’m trying to decide my language again. It’s between Finnish and Japanese. I’m more drawn to Finnish at the moment, and there is the incentive of trying to learn as much as I can before the Gathering (I think I’ll probably go), but then there’s Japanese which I could probably make good progress in if I could just get the motivation going. Maybe the 6WC would give me that motivation. Or maybe it wouldn’t. Maybe I should do Finnish now and Japanese next time. Or maybe it doesn’t matter, since the majority of my time will still go to German and Spanish anyway. Decisions, decisions.
9 x

Return to “Language logs”