Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm

blaurebell wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:Anyway, thanks for the advice, and I will be getting some therapy for my back once I get my sinuses under control.

Makes sense. Well, sinuses and unspecific allergies are the worst. I've got a few of those too. Doctors are usually lost with those and the tests say next to nothing. My tests came back saying that I'm allergic to everything because my immune system is shot :roll: A couple of things that might or might not have an influence: dairy products esp. cheese and histamine. Do you get motion sickness easily? Then reducing histamine could help. Histamine is what causes allergic reactions and if you eat a lot of histamine too during allergy season, it makes things worse. And dairy is the devil anyway. My sinus problems went half away after stopping the dairy, along with a whole bunch of other stuff that got better. The sinuses aren't really perfect - I've got more allergies still, but at least it's somewhat better. Always worse during allergy season or in certain regions. Eating local honey can also help to reduce pollen allergies, but well, that takes like a year to show any effect if at all. Eating honey isn't exactly torture, but quitting dairy I found super hard. Genug rumgerentnert? ;)

Wow! I didn't even know histamine was something you could eat. I had to google that. I do eat some histamine-rich foods apparently, but I've had periods when I haven't eaten much of them and I don't really remember it making much difference. However, I can try cutting out various things for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

Brun Ugle wrote:Well, at least I learned a new expression. Too bad my mom doesn't know German, I could've used it on her. She's always telling me how horrible it is to get old, and then she wonders why no one wants to visit her.

Almost as fun as my mum complaining about her work for hours. Usually I get her out of it after repeating "Let's talk about something nice instead" a few times. We'll all be happier when she finally retires in a couple years! My husband's parents always talk about the dog which drives him crazy ... they all have their subjects! Only consolation is that we'll be just as much fun for our children one day :lol:[/quote]
We just had our weekly Skype talk. I managed to distract her for a while, but she quickly found a way to insert a few gripes and overly melodramatic complaints into the conversation. My children are lucky -- they don't exist, so they don't have to listen to me. :lol:
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby blaurebell » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:14 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:However, I can try cutting out various things for a while and see what happens. Thanks for the tip.

You're welcome. I have two chronic diseases and if it wasn't for all my little diet adjustments, I would be so ill that I wouldn't be able to leave the house / be in hospital half the time. Diet makes a *huge* difference. If you're really brave, google for the Paleo diet. Sorted out 90% of some rather severe health problems which the doctors classified as "untreatable". I've got a bunch of friends who had similar success stories with even more severe diseases - Crohn's Disease, Ulcerative Colitis, even MS! I follow a combination of Paleo AIP and Specific Carbohydrate Diet. Needs to be adjusted for individual needs, but it's super effective for all sorts of health problems, especially autoimmune stuff. And I can eat as much meat as I want :D

Brun Ugle wrote:My children are lucky -- they don't exist, so they don't have to listen to me.

:lol: Same here, but I would add a little hopeful "yet". Torturing imaginary children is a little more socially accepted anyway :lol:
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:15 pm

Good news! I’m finally feeling better. The workmen seem to be finished, I got some medicine from the doctor and even getting a cold seemed to help out since it blocked up the post-nasal drip that was irritating my lungs. So, never so bad that it isn’t good for something, as we say. I’m hoping this will be the end of the problem and I won’t have to follow Blaurebell’s suggestion on cutting out histamines in food because I looked at the list of histamine rich foods and it could almost be a list of my favorite foods. Obviously, histamine is the secret ingredient that makes things yummy.

More good news! I finished FSI Spanish Basic. :D Actually, Spanish is about the only thing I’ve been studying these past two weeks as I sprinted to the finish-line. I’m glad to be finished and I’m excited about moving on to the next stage in my learning, but I’m a little sad too. I might be a bit of a weirdo, but I get a little attached to the characters in my textbooks sometimes.

So, now to the future. These are my plans. Please feel free to give me any advice as to what I should add. I feel that I have a pretty strong grammatical foundation thanks to FSI, but my vocabulary is lacking and my productive skills are still very weak. I intend to use GLOSS and GdUdE as my core study materials now. To improve my vocabulary, I would like to try more intensive reading and to that end am trying to figure out LWT (more on that in a bit). I’m also experimenting with goldlists, but am still very unsure that I like it and it doesn’t seem very efficient so far. It’s too early to say if it will be effective. I’ve also done a bit with Memrise, but I’m not sure if I’m really learning the words to where I know them outside of the Memrise environment. To improve my active skills, I want to try again to do weekly Skype chats in Spanish, but that is always the first thing to go when I get sick, depressed, tired or busy, so that can’t be my main method of activation. So, instead, I will get back to the Output Challenge and start recording myself again and continue writing my fan-fic and other things on a regular basis. I will try to do some of my recordings and writings by reading up on some topic and then trying to do a “report” or something like that. I will alternate this with lighter topics like my fan-fic (writing) and what I did that day or what I am planning to do (speaking), otherwise it might get too intense. And of course, I will continue watching TV and probably do some extensive reading in addition to the intensive stuff.

Now, about LWT. I know some of you use it and know more about computers than I do, and I need some help because I can’t figure it out. These are the instructions from the website. I get stuck after step 9.

LWT wrote:• Step 1: Go to http://www.easyphp.org/easyphp-devserver.php.
• Step 2: Download the "EasyPHP DevServer for Windows XP to Windows 8" (currently EasyPHP 14.1 VC9).
• Step 3: Open your Downloads folder and run the downloaded EasyPHP-DevServer-14.1VC9-install.exe into C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-... .
• Step 4: Go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/lwt and download the latest zip archive lwt_v_x_y.zip.
• Step 5: Copy the downloaded zip archive lwt_v_x_y.zip into the directory data\localweb below the EasyPHP installation directory, i.e. C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-...\data\localweb.
• Step 6: Now right-click on the zip archive and select "Extract all", and unzip everything into a new folder C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-...\data\localweb\lwt_v_x_y. Rename the folder lwt_v_x_y to lwt.
• Step 7: The zip archive C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-...\data\localweb\lwt_v_x_y.zip may be deleted.
• Step 8: Now go into C:\Program Files (x86)\EasyPHP-...\data\localweb\lwt. Rename the file connect_easyphp.inc.php to connect.inc.php. (Sometimes the "php" extension is hidden, so be careful! You can display file extensions via the Windows Explorer settings and check it.)
• Step 9: Start EasyPHP via the Windows Start Menu. In the Task Bar near the clock appears the EasyPHP app icon (it may be hidden!).
• Step 10: LWT can now be started. Right-Click on the EasyPHP icon in the taskbar, choose "Local Web", and click on "lwt" in the webpage. You may also bookmark the LWT home page: http://127.0.0.1/lwt.
• Step 11: You may now install the LWT demo database, or define the first language you want to learn.
• If you want to use LWT again, just do step 9 and 10. Via "EasyPHP icon - Configuration - EasyPHP" you may start EasyPHP automatically when starting Windows. Now step 9 is no longer needed.
• The local webserver will be stopped by clicking on "Stop" in EasyPHP menu (see icon near the clock). You can now exit EasyPHP.

On step 9, I don’t find it in the start menu, but I can open it from the desktop icon, so I assume that is OK. On step 10, when I right-click on the icon in the taskbar there is no “local web” to choose. There’s just “open dashboard”, “support”, “tools” with sub menus “open ports controller” and “open process explorer”, and “exit”. I assume it is the dashboard I should open, but I don’t know what to do when I get there. Can any of you geniuses help me? I’m not so great with computers. (I’m still looking for the “any” key. :lol: )
4 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:56 pm

Try to go on to step 10. It might already be running, which means the URL should work when you open http://127.0.0.1/lwt in a web-browser.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:11 pm

rdearman wrote:Try to go on to step 10. It might already be running, which means the URL should work when you open http://127.0.0.1/lwt in a web-browser.

Actually, that was the first thing I tried. In Firefox, nothing comes up, just a blank page, and in Chrome, it says it can't find the page. So, I must be missing a step.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:48 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:Try to go on to step 10. It might already be running, which means the URL should work when you open http://127.0.0.1/lwt in a web-browser.

Actually, that was the first thing I tried. In Firefox, nothing comes up, just a blank page, and in Chrome, it says it can't find the page. So, I must be missing a step.

Ah! Silly me. I downloaded the wrong easyphp thingy. :oops: I'll do it right this time and see if it works then.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:

Ah! Silly me. I downloaded the wrong easyphp thingy. :oops: I'll do it right this time and see if it works then.

OK. New problem. Now I've got everything installed correctly, but when I start EasyPHP, I get the error message:

Apache port (80) is already used by another application ! Close this application and try to run again the server. To close this application : open <easyphp folder> /binaries/tools/cports/cports.exe, find the line with the port already used in the column "Local Port", right click and choose "Kill Processes Of Selected Ports".

So, I guess this means I'm supposed to kill one of the lines with the number 80 in the column "Local Port". There are two of those. The only differences seem to be in the columns "Local Address" and "Remote Address". One of them has "0.0.0.0" in those two columns and the other has "::" in those two columns. Now what?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 pm

Kill them both. Won't hurt anything port 80 is where a webserver listens.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:09 pm

rdearman wrote:Kill them both. Won't hurt anything port 80 is where a webserver listens.

Hmmm. I probably should have checked this before, but the "kill" option is grey, so I can't select it. Why are computers so mean?
1 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:34 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:Kill them both. Won't hurt anything port 80 is where a webserver listens.

Hmmm. I probably should have checked this before, but the "kill" option is grey, so I can't select it. Why are computers so mean?

Basically what this means is that there is already a program running which is monitoring port 80 for input. Normally this is some kind of webserver. If that is the case, you should be able to go to http://localhost/ and it will tell you what program is running as a webserver. It might be a previous installation of LWT.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Return to “Language logs”