Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby rdearman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:38 pm

BTW, I passed you today on the SC rankings. bwahahahahah :twisted:
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Brun Ugle makes plans and then ignores them – diary of an easily distracted tortoise 2017 (ES, DE, FI, EO, JA, NO)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:05 am

rdearman wrote:BTW, I passed you today on the SC rankings. bwahahahahah :twisted:

I should probably make a new twitter account and put my SC data up to date.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:09 am

rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:Kill them both. Won't hurt anything port 80 is where a webserver listens.

Hmmm. I probably should have checked this before, but the "kill" option is grey, so I can't select it. Why are computers so mean?

Basically what this means is that there is already a program running which is monitoring port 80 for input. Normally this is some kind of webserver. If that is the case, you should be able to go to http://localhost/ and it will tell you what program is running as a webserver. It might be a previous installation of LWT.

When I open that page, I get nothing. In Firefox, it is just blank, and in Chrome it says the page can't be found. (I'm going to owe you a couple of beers in Bratislava if we ever get this thing working.)
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)

Postby Brun Ugle » Mon Mar 27, 2017 2:49 pm

Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:
Brun Ugle wrote:
rdearman wrote:Kill them both. Won't hurt anything port 80 is where a webserver listens.

Hmmm. I probably should have checked this before, but the "kill" option is grey, so I can't select it. Why are computers so mean?

Basically what this means is that there is already a program running which is monitoring port 80 for input. Normally this is some kind of webserver. If that is the case, you should be able to go to http://localhost/ and it will tell you what program is running as a webserver. It might be a previous installation of LWT.

When I open that page, I get nothing. In Firefox, it is just blank, and in Chrome it says the page can't be found. (I'm going to owe you a couple of beers in Bratislava if we ever get this thing working.)

I figured it out!!!!! I am so smart. SMRT. SMRT. :D :D :D

It was a Windows 10 problem. Never should have upgraded. Thanks for all your help though. Your first beer in Bratislava is on me.
7 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:35 am

I hope you guys weren't kidding about wanting to do a GdUdE level C challenge because I started a thread for it and I added the names of everybody who expressed any interest in it here in my log. So, you're all in whether you like it or not! Just kidding, I'll remove you if you really, really want me to. :cry:
3 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 7:15 am

OK. Time to turn this tech-support log back into a language log. I seem to be having trouble getting back into my study routine still, but it’s not all bad. I’ve managed to get back into my exercise routine at least, and Spanish is going fairly well. I’ve been a bit messed up this week because the clocks changed last Sunday. I wish they’d stop doing that. I’ve been swinging all week between moments of too much energy to sit still and moments of being too tired to do anything, even sleep.

The first part of the week was spent on trying to install LWT and getting started with using it. I’d always heard that installing LWT is really hard for people that don’t know a lot about computers, but I think that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I don’t consider myself terribly computer savvy, but if it hadn’t been for the Windows 10 problem, installing LWT would have been pretty simple. It’s also simple to use and I think it will turn out to be very helpful. The hardest part is finding a good dictionary to link to.

I didn’t do much studying this week besides Spanish. I didn’t touch Esperanto and only did a few minutes of Japanese. I did finally get around to doing a couple of Assimil lessons in Finnish, but I’m way behind and at this point, I doubt that I will finish before the Gathering. German has mostly been Duolingo and a review of my grammar workbook. I think I did the exercises originally before I was really ready to absorb them, so I’m redoing them, but not writing them this time. I just go through the book and glance over at the answer key after each question to make sure I answered correctly. The grammar is starting to feel more natural now.

Spanish is going well, and I’ve decided it might be time to try to make the push to activate it. I had two Skype chats in Spanish this week and both went surprisingly well. I was able to talk with much more ease and comfort than I’d expected. I think I might be reaching the “saturation point” for Spanish, which means I’ve saturated myself with so much input, that Spanish is starting to leak out of me all by itself without the tremendous effort it used to require. My preferred learning style is the opposite of the speak-from-day-1 style that seems so popular online. I like to start with a solid course like FSI and some grammar books, gradually move on to native materials while still working on traditional textbooks and grammars, and only when I get to a pretty solid B2 level of understanding, do I really feel like I want to try to speak. I have tried to force it a little earlier, but it is exhausting, frustrating and I mostly end up avoiding it.

Since I’m at the saturation point (I think), I should be able to activate the language relatively quickly and easily. I’ve already scheduled another Skype session for Monday and I’m hoping to keep going with regular sessions throughout the month of April. I’m also going to continue my intensive analysis of texts in LWT and I’ve joined the April vocabulary challenge because vocabulary is one of my biggest weaknesses now. My grammar is pretty solid, though sometimes the wrong tense or person slips out when I’m speaking simply because I’m still trying to keep track of too many things at once – conjugations, genders, searching for vocabulary that I might not have, searching for work-arounds for the vocabulary I’m missing, etc. I’m not used to doing all that on the fly in Spanish yet.

And what else? I did two GLOSS lessons this week, level 2+. I think that is a comfortable level for the moment. I’m going to try to continue with 2-3 lessons per week. More than that might cause burn-out. And then there is the GdUdE challenge. I haven’t started yet, but I’ll probably aim for about 2-3 lessons per week in that too. And for fun, I’m still watching Aquí no hay quien viva which is absolutely hilarious. I can’t believe that all the episodes (so far, at least) are on YouTube. I’m not having too much trouble understanding it at this point. Even Emilio’s father has become somewhat comprehensible, though he still sounds to me like he’s got a mouthful of oatmeal.
Last edited by Brun Ugle on Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

MamaPata
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), French (C1*), Russian (B1), Spanish (B1).

Long lost: Arabic and Latin.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3004

Postby MamaPata » Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:10 am

Brun Ugle wrote:I figured it out!!!!! I am so smart. SMRT. SMRT. :D :D :D

It was a Windows 10 problem. Never should have upgraded. Thanks for all your help though. Your first beer in Bratislava is on me.

As I seem to be having the same problem, what did you have to do? :lol:
0 x
Corrections appreciated.

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:32 am

MamaPata wrote:

I can't seem to find where I originally found the information, but fortunately, I wrote it all down because I was afraid it might cause problems and wanted to be able to undo it if it did. There was a link somewhere on the LWT help forum, I think, but I can't find it at the moment.

I assume you've downloaded the right EasyPHP and installed it and LWT, but when you start EasyPHP you get an error message about Apache port 80. That's where I was stuck and the problem turned out to be Windows 10. Here's what I did:

Use the search tool and find the control panel. In the control panel, click "programs", then "turn windows features on or off". A window will open with a list of things. Find "Internet information services". That's where I had to start turning things off. The check boxes need to be empty, not checked or filled. In "Internet information services", I found both "application development features" and "security" to be filled and upon opening those, ".Net extensibility 4.6" and "Request filtering" were checked. I've turned everything off, and my computer hasn't blown up or anything (yet). After that, I was able to start EasyPHP and go to local web and there was LWT all ready to be used.
1 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby Brun Ugle » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:36 am

Brun Ugle wrote:
MamaPata wrote:

I can't seem to find where I originally found the information, but fortunately, I wrote it all down because I was afraid it might cause problems and wanted to be able to undo it if it did. There was a link somewhere on the LWT help forum, I think, but I can't find it at the moment.

I assume you've downloaded the right EasyPHP and installed it and LWT, but when you start EasyPHP you get an error message about Apache port 80. That's where I was stuck and the problem turned out to be Windows 10. Here's what I did:

Use the search tool and find the control panel. In the control panel, click "programs", then "turn windows features on or off". A window will open with a list of things. Find "Internet information services". That's where I had to start turning things off. The check boxes need to be empty, not checked or filled. In "Internet information services", I found both "application development features" and "security" to be filled and upon opening those, ".Net extensibility 4.6" and "Request filtering" were checked. I've turned everything off, and my computer hasn't blown up or anything (yet). After that, I was able to start EasyPHP and go to local web and there was LWT all ready to be used.

I just found the link https://sourceforge.net/p/lwt/discussio ... /4fbf727e/
It might be clearer than what I wrote.

And my log is back to being a tech support log. :lol:
2 x

blaurebell
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C2), Spanish (B2-C1), French (B2+ passive), Italian (A2), Russian (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3235

Postby blaurebell » Sun Apr 02, 2017 10:42 am

Brun Ugle wrote:The hardest part is finding a good dictionary to link to.

I find wordreference.com the best LWT companion for Spanish and French.

Brun Ugle wrote:I’m also going to continue my intensive analysis of texts in LWT and I’ve joined the April vocabulary challenge because vocabulary is one of my biggest weaknesses now.

Actually, LWT is great for vocabulary. I didn't use any flashcards for French, just LWT. It's like a frequency based SRS with lots of context. Just make sure you type the Spanish base form into the romanisation field as well and don't skip words that you only understand because you just saw a different form of it 5 minutes ago.
1 x
: 20 / 100 Дэвид Эддингс - В поисках камня
: 14325 / 35000 LWT Known

: 17 / 55 FSI Spanish Basic
: 100 / 116 GdUdE B
: 8 / 72 Duolingo reverse Spanish -> German

Return to “Language logs”