Ani's 2017 Log

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Re: Ani's 2017 Log

Postby DaveBee » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 am

Ani wrote:
I finished La quête de Despereaux yesterday. It was a quick read. I really can't understand why Kate DiCamillo is supposedly a children's author. The two of her books I have read have included rather traumatic subject matter for a child. If you haven't read Despereaux, it talks about how a mother dies because she doesn't care what her daughter wants. As a mother myself, this stung to the core. Then the poor girl is sold at the age of 6 and abused until she is deafened. All described in fairly bold detail. I am glad this book is in French so my 6 year old daughter can't read it.
I read Black Beauty as a adult (watched the TV series as a child) and I was surprised at how grim the book was. I vote for funny books and Happy Ever After endings!
French novel count for the year is at 5, 6 if we count Martin et les fées. The hobbit and another Fred Vargas are up next. Both pretty short. TV watching is at 25 hours and a bit more as I have a couple series I started since January but haven't added to betaseries yet. Audio book goal has floundered, but I'll be stuck in bed in a couple months and might be able to salvage it.
I've read one Vargas book, "L'homme à l'envers", and I didn't care for it. I shall have to try again. :-)
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:41 am

DaveBee wrote: I read Black Beauty as a adult (watched the TV series as a child) and I was surprised at how grim the book was. I vote for funny books and Happy Ever After endings!

Yes yes! Long live funny books and Happily Ever Afters!
I feel like if I am doing pleasure reading, it should be pleasurable.
Thanks for stopping by :)

--

I'm a language bum today. I had a funky day with lots of cancelled plans and disappointments. One of my main family roles is "emotional regulator" so I have spent the day trying to support everyone and balance the dynamics. So tiring.
I haven't had the time for "stolen minutes" studying today and by the time I get everything done and everyone in bed, I am not sure I'll have the mental energy for much.
Tomorrow I will be down two kids so hopefully I can catch up.
2 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:23 am

My 8 year old decided he wants to learn Greek. I think it is because of Percy Jackson, for the most part. He has some friends who are learning a little bit. Looks like we will be starting that soon. I purchased the set of First Grade Primer by Theodore Papaloizos which looks very kid friendly judging by the preview on Amazon.
He was invited to join Greek lessons with the other kids, which would be nice for him socially (extreme extrovert) but it is hard to swallow paying for lessons in the basics. The teacher would be my friend's husband, who is great with kids but really only has a low level himself. Not sure exactly what we will do about that yet.

I decided to read murakami's 1Q84 in French next, although I haven't had any time this week yet. It's been very busy. Hoping things settle down soon. I just want to hide in bed and read..and eat chocolate.
3 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:09 am

Pffhh! All the way back on page three!

Nothing revolutionary going on here. Some studying on Friday, about 6 hours of actual course work in three languages on Saturday. Good thing too because on Sunday I woke up with a cold AND my computer decided to stop booting. Stayed in bed reading and watching TV so I was able to cover about 1/2 of 1Q84 and finish off Travelers on Netflix in French. Hubby is working on the computer issue. My Finnish audio and entire Russian course are on the computer and a bit too awkward to do from a tablet or phone so just french input until it is working again.

1Q84 is interesting but has weirdities (can I make that word up? It seems fitting) that I dislike. I'm not a fan of his type of casual and sort of.. I'm looking for a word like perverse but without the implied judgement...sex discussion. I find it really distasteful. This is probably the #1 thing that turns me away from modern top list literature. Reserving full critique until the end.

Travelers is far from the best show I have ever watched. Seems like the writers couldn't figure out how to make it interesting until the last two or three episodes and then decided to compact an entire second season story line into those last two shows. Still there were interesting parts and likeable characters and decent dialogue/vocabulary. I had a harder time than I expected understanding when characters were yelling at each other. I think I would have done better last year actually. I need to listen and watch a lot more to keep my skills in this area.
2 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Tue Feb 28, 2017 8:44 am

Ani wrote: Still there were interesting parts and likeable characters and decent dialogue/vocabulary. I had a harder time than I expected understanding when characters were yelling at each other. I think I would have done better last year actually. I need to listen and watch a lot more to keep my skills in this area.
My favourite french language TV at the moment is Louis the Brocante. The episodes are a bit longer than I'd prefer, but the key thing is everyone is nice! Nice people, going around being nice. With some of the french police drama programmes I had a hard time finding any characters I didn't dislike! :-)
2 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:40 am

We were finally successful taking our mini-vacation! Third time really was the charm. DH and the kids skied, we all swam and ate and hung out together. Being introverts, DH and I might need a vacation from our vacation now :lol: but it was really nice.

No Russian or Finnish this week due to broken computer. Should be fixed up soon. It is kind of working but needs a second hard drive and some setup/user accounts/parental controls etc.

I watched a season+ of Engrenages and read some chapters of 1q84 but I haven't had the chance for a lot of reading. I am not feeling a measurable effect from reading unless I get a few hours a day, but 20-30 minutes of a series with lots of talking seems to switch my brain to French better and longer so I am experimenting with watching my episodes 20ish minutes at a time several times a day. The downside is that my comprehension is not great for the first few minutes so I miss bits of the plot that I wouldn't have had I watched straight through, the upside being more french thinking. I think it is overall a win.
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:36 am

I am having an angst-y sort of day full of frustrations. I feel like I am never going to get to the level I want because what I want is perfection. I don't really have the time or mental space to study the way I'd like (emotions compounded by being in constant contact with the family this weekend..). Progress is slow at this point. I just feel like giving up. I could just throw in the towel and start studying Italian. I am not actually sure what that would fix... Something maybe :-p
2 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:55 am

Ani wrote:I am having an angst-y sort of day full of frustrations. I feel like I am never going to get to the level I want because what I want is perfection. I don't really have the time or mental space to study the way I'd like (emotions compounded by being in constant contact with the family this weekend..). Progress is slow at this point. I just feel like giving up. I could just throw in the towel and start studying Italian. I am not actually sure what that would fix... Something maybe :-p

I suffer from a similar affliction Ani, as you probably realise. I'm just culling a heap of courses and I still have a rediculous over ambitious list!

My advice is first of all, don't give up (you're going to hit this wall with any language). Second, take the pressure off, kick back and just watch heaps of stufff. Use this time to put your feet up and let the DVD/Internet do it's work. Don't pause, just binge watch a series and feel sorry for yourself. You might be surprised after a a number of episodes. Don't do anything 'intensive' until you've watched so much that French feels like English and you're ready to do something different. Just an idea, up to you ;)
3 x

Ani
Brown Belt

Postby Ani » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:12 am

PeterMollenburg wrote: Second, take the pressure off, kick back and just watch heaps of stufff. Use this time to put your feet up and let the DVD/Internet do it's work. Don't pause, just binge watch a series and feel sorry for yourself. You might be surprised after a a number of episodes. Don't do anything 'intensive' until you've watched so much that French feels like English and you're ready to do something different. Just an idea, up to you ;)

Thank you! You know I won't actually give up :) Just feeling moody. Most of the time French feels just like English, but those sneaky bits really throw my confidence. Just in the last couple days I realized I can't understand a *word* most of the criminals say in Engranages. I apparently have an entire register completely missing from my vocabulary.
2 x

whatiftheblog
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (N), French (C2?), Spanish (~B1)

Postby whatiftheblog » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:28 am

Ani wrote:Thank you! You know I won't actually give up :) Just feeling moody. Most of the time French feels just like English, but those sneaky bits really throw my confidence. Just in the last couple days I realized I can't understand a *word* most of the criminals say in Engranages. I apparently have an entire register completely missing from my vocabulary.

This type of stuff I reeeeeally wouldn't worry about at this stage - I know the temptation because I've gone through the exact same thing myself. Realistically, though, I'd wager there are native English speakers you wouldn't easily understand, so it's not really a reflection of your skills in French necessarily. I'd watch some vlogs to get used to more colloquial/faster/less formal chatter.

Hang in there!
3 x
Books completed: 5 / 20 5 / 20

Return to “Language logs”