Tristano's log 2017: Wanderland in the Netherlusts

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Re: Tristano's log 2017: Hebrew (A.K.A. The undecided language learner)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Tue May 09, 2017 9:14 pm

I have followed your log at times Tristano, more when Dutch was your primary focus and you hadn't introduced Russian or Hebrew, as I'm not likely to study those languages. I'd like to agree with the two previous posts, and add that it's not necessarily a popularity contest, so don't worry if it's not attracting many people. Then if you would prefer it to be more entertaining, attract more people or evolve somehow then that's also fine. At any rate, I have enjoyed reading your log, and do whatever you feel you want to or need to do. Good luck! Hope to see you around these parts still :) And well done with your Dutch btw, it's been very interesting for me, to follow that part of your journey.
1 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Tue May 09, 2017 9:59 pm

I don't follow many logs but I follow yours. Your various challenges and accomplishments are always interesting. I hope that you will at least continue your log about your Dutch progress because you now have a real vested interest. You undoubtedly will be making progress, and many people here are interested in how to go from B2+ to higher levels. So please don't abandon your log. It has been very interesting, and probably will get even more interesting as your progress continues.
3 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue May 09, 2017 10:44 pm

I'm also one of the readers, just in case I ever open my dusty Teach Yourself Hebrew...
2 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

Ani
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), speaks French, Russian & Icelandic (beginner)

Postby Ani » Wed May 10, 2017 8:30 am

I totally read your log too. I just never comment on people's logs when we are not learning the same languages or haven't talked before. I'm never entirely sure how much people want to use their logs for socializing vs. record keeping. I hope you do keep posting. If you want more comments, just ask questions and people will turn up every which way to give you their opinions :)
1 x
But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed May 10, 2017 11:57 am

Ani wrote:...I just never comment on people's logs when we are not learning the same languages or haven't talked before. I'm never entirely sure how much people want to use their logs for socializing vs. record keeping. ...

Ahhh, Tristano, I too read your log. Having learned a Jewish language, Djudeo-espanyol/Ladino, and four Hebrew alphabets, I have been following your progress with Hebrew, even though I don't comment, for the reasons Ani gave. Hope to see more. Mazal bueno!
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed May 10, 2017 11:58 am

Tristano wrote:I'm going to discontinue this log.

Motivation: this is very boring. 5 pages and only 4 users commented. It is comprehensible, because the content of this log is very weak.
- hey I'm going to do Hebrew! No Russian! No Hebrew! No Russian! No Hebrew! No Russian! No Hebrew! No German! And Hebrew! Hey, I know Dutch!

Therefore I'm going to face this problem in three steps:
1) I'm no longer writing on this log.
2) I'm going to study how to write a log that is enjoyable to read and enjoyable to write.
3) I'm then going to write a new log where I will apply my new ideas.

Why do I care?
Well, writing and reading bad content also takes time, plus is unrewarding.

I've been reading your log too! I am just not qualified enough to comment on Hebrew stuff, I am just lurking and dreaming of starting the language myself one day.

Many types of logs are enjoyable to write and read. Sometimes even too enjoyable :-D. I don't think there is any problem with your log writing style, the log could naturally develop into a very interesting reference center for people interested (either seriously interested, or just being a bit curious) in Hebrew, like Radioclaire's log is the main address anytime we want to get to know a new bit about the Croatian langauge, Croatia, or croatian popular culture, her insight is awesome. And Hebrew and Israel, and its popular culture, that's something I would definitely love to get to know more about in the form of a log. It is just harder to write something interesting at the beginner level. It is pretty clear in my personal log. I can recommend Spanish books and tv series, complain about a dialect, review a coursebook, share my intermediate learning struggles, and all that is fun to write. But when it comes to my German it is more like "I did a few exercises today, I took a break, I did a few exercises today, I took a break". Not too fascinating.
2 x

EarthBerry
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (B2) and Dutch (Beginner)

Postby EarthBerry » Wed May 10, 2017 12:09 pm

Admittedly I have just stumbled across it :) I plan to go back through and read it from the beginning right after this post! I'm just posting to say: don't give up! Language logs, well, in my eyes are more for the learner than the forum. I find it incredibly motivating to look back and write about my studies, successes, failures and what not. Especially in say, a few months time, it must be rewarding to look back and see your progress. Of course, when writing my own, I do try and make it somewhat enjoyable for the reader but for the most part, it is literally me rambling on :lol: I love it when people comment and get involved, and to be honest I was somewhat delightfully surprised that people commented... I really didn't think anyone would :) But I digress, which I am very fond of doing... As you can see from the responses here, people enjoy your blog! So, you're doing something right. Keep at it!

I'll be visiting often. I can't relate too much with Hebrew, but your Dutch is light years ahead of mine so I'll be looking out for your Nederlands(e)? secrets :lol:
2 x
Please feel free to correct any mistakes!
Current goals for 2017
Dutch to A2/B1
Japanese to C1
Swedish to A1

aaleks
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)

Postby aaleks » Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm

I remember that I was reading your log even before I registered on the forum and it was engaging reading for me :) . But I just don’t have anything to contribute.
2 x

reineke
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Fox (C4)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=6979

Postby reineke » Wed May 10, 2017 11:30 pm

Group hug!

downloadfile.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Fri May 12, 2017 12:49 pm

Hi guys,
thank you very much for your messages. I'm pleasantly surprised that there are actually people who enjoy reading this log, for the reasons I said and for the specific case of Hebrew the one you mentioned: I'm a super beginner and I never studied another semitic language before! Writing something interesting about it is not in my current skills. I could talk more about the method... but also here no luck: Pimsleur is well known and well loved/hated by most of you guys. About wanderlust there are other posters that have more interesting content to offer. To clarify: my post was not a request of attention, but really a rant against my own content. I know I can do better!

After an analysis of your messages and other logs there are some thing that come to my attention:
- The title doesn't match the content. Yes I'm studying Hebrew, but not only Hebrew. My Dutch is in constant evolution, I'm now and then dabbling with German, I have a passion for Romance languages, I read content in French and Spanish, not much but I do. I want to learn Russian. I have to learn how to maintain a language effectively. I actually have content, but I offer it seldomly and who reads the title of my log would say "I don't read it because I'm not interested in Hebrew".

- As you made me notice, my log is interesting for the learners of Dutch, because of my multi-year experience with it. From certain comments it looks like I stopped learning Dutch. This is not true: I'm not studying it in a structured way but I'm exercising the 4 skills every single day! I'm living in Dutch. I can also think in Dutch and many times I dream in Dutch. And whether I don't pay much attention to it, probably some anecdote of what is going on with this language is well received.

- Many users use the forum to report their work, a sort of accountability. I did it myself but it tends to generate very boring content :(

- The logs with cultural insights are the ones I read very gladly. Also the ones with users that travel around the world and have fantastic stories to write. Unfortunately, I'm just a normal man with a decent job, limited time and passions outside language learning.

- Certain users write posts in their target language. Not a bad idea, only it's kind of pointless if nobody or too less users know that specific language. Fortunately I have a small group of readers that are learning Dutch and my other languages count many learners (except Hebrew which I'm anyway not able to write) so that it is an idea.

- Popularity is actually not a good goal: having something interesting to say is the key and popularity often come as a side effect. It's not surprising to see that users like Expugnator, Tarvos and Iversen or Iguanamon or Bakunin given a very few examples have so many readers that enjoy to write on their logs. They have impressive skills and relevant experience. Unfortunately, my level is light years far away from theirs.

- Analysing other's contents doesn't make me able to write good content, as it is a skill that I need time to develop. Probably stopping this log and starting a new log would result in a new log with still bad content.
3 x

Return to “Language logs”