Il viaggio di Shandra

Continue or start your personal language log here, including logs for challenge participants
shandra
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (B1), Spanish (SIELE: Reading B2, Listening C1), French (A2), Chinese (HSK1), Japanese (JLPT N5) Frozen: Danish, Forgotten: Romanian
Language Log: http://bit.ly/2C2Du5z

Il viaggio di Shandra

Postby shandra » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:28 pm

Hi, I am Alessandra.

I am Italian and I am 37 years old.

Long story short, I studied:

French, Middle School, 3 years.
English, High School, 5 years.
Spanish, University, 3 years.
Danish, University, 3 years.
Romanian, University, 1 semester.
(You know it means 2 or 3 classes a week, plus homeworks to pass the final exams).

Kanji/hanzi has charmed me for the last five years, so I have studied:
Japanese, Private School, 80 hours.
Chinese, Private School, 20 hours.
(Plus hours of self study, srs, vocabulary lists, etc.).

I also learnt Hangul, Cyrillic and Greek alphabets for pleasure, but I quickly forgot the most because I haven't used them in any active way.

Last May I passed HSK1 (Chinese language certification).
They say it is A1, but you know is less (only 150 words and basic grammatical rules, no spoken skills checked).

Now I am slowly studying for HSK2 (next April or May).
It is only for fun because the first useful level is number 3, but I think it is easier for me to use HSK as a path to follow and to track and check my progress.

I also need to improve my English because I can't speak it.
I learned it when I was a teen-ager, years before the Internet era: I had access only to some music and many books. It means I've never use it actively, and worst thing I internalized wrong pronunciation, so I'm still mispronouncing many basic words.
My written English is really basic, but I read it every day because it is my window to the world (music, movie, other languages).

My problem with this language is I really need it to find a better job, but I don't like it. This pressing motivation seems to be not enough to make me study. I'd like to be a confident B2 speaker...

And now I am here.

I don't know if I will track my progress with Chinese and English, but after a year lurking your posts I thought it was a good time to tell you something about me.

Thanks for your time!

-------------------------------------
Reading: My English Books
German Wanderlust with Assimil
2017 SC English Films
Last edited by shandra on Fri May 12, 2017 8:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
14 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Re: Il viaggio di Shandra

Postby Tristano » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:36 am

Ciao Alessandra!
Innanzitutto un bocca al lupo per i tuoi progetti.
Italiano qui emigrato in Olanda. Sono arrivato in Olanda con un inglese imparato a suon di telefilm sottotitolati in italiano (grazie Itasa!), Sono riuscito a convincere un manager francese con accento terrificante durante un colloquio telefonico che, nonostante il mio inglese facesse più che schifo, avessi la grinta necessaria per portarmi a livello. Mi ha creduto e la mia nuova vita comincia da lì. Quattro anni dopo, trovato l'amore, bimba italo-olandese in arrivo, la situazione si è ripetuta col mio olandese traballante. Alla fine, banale che sia, è tutta una questione di pratica. La lingua più la parli più migliora. Se abiti in una grande città o vicino prova a vedere se ci sono gruppi meetup, altrimenti c'è sempre Italki.
3 x

shandra
Orange Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (B1), Spanish (SIELE: Reading B2, Listening C1), French (A2), Chinese (HSK1), Japanese (JLPT N5) Frozen: Danish, Forgotten: Romanian

Postby shandra » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:53 pm

Tristano wrote:La lingua più la parli più migliora.
tarvos wrote:I think it's improper training
Thanks to Tristano and Tarvos (quoted from the discussion about pronunciation and intelligence:
http://www.forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=4930&start=50#p55618)

This afternoon I tried this: I wrote down two lessons from Assimil and added to almost every words IPA from WordReference (UK), and then did shadowing for a while. I want also to record me reading.

I guess if I persist I can be more aware about sounds and improve my overall pronunciation.

I don't know why I struggle so much with English!
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:51 pm

shandra wrote:My problem with this language is I really need it to find a better job, but I don't like it. This pressing motivation seems to be not enough to make me study. I'd like to be a confident B2 speaker...
Is there any way you can add using english to things that you do like to do?
0 x

shandra
Orange Belt

Postby shandra » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:05 pm

DaveBee wrote:Is there any way you can add using English to things that you do like to do?
First I have to overcome excuses: "I am shy. I am introvert. It is difficult to leave my comfort zone." Blablabla.

I like: reading and cooking. And many other activities that not involve human interaction. If I have a doubt or any question concerning my hobbies I search with Google (or this forum...) or watch YouTube.

I need to speak more to myself in English (just to start...), and maybe try a site for language exchange.

What I like? Theory... :oops:
0 x

DaveBee
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native). French (studying).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7466

Postby DaveBee » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:15 pm

shandra wrote:
DaveBee wrote:Is there any way you can add using English to things that you do like to do?
First I have to overcome excuses: "I am shy. I am introvert. It is difficult to leave my comfort zone." Blablabla.

I like: reading and cooking. And many other activities that not involve human interaction. If I have a doubt or any question concerning my hobbies I search with Google (or this forum...) or watch YouTube.

I need to speak more to myself in English (just to start...), and maybe try a site for language exchange.

What I like? Theory... :oops:
I saw a brazilian/welsh YouTuber recommend talking to yourself the other day. She also suggested not worrying too much about your mistakes. :-)

I've recently started listening to a french radio phone in cookery programme. Perhaps you could try something like that, (as a caller rather than a listener)? Radio 4 have a weekly Food Programme (not phone in), LBC, FiveLive, and TalkSport all have lots of phone-in programmes.

The Italian Cultural Institute in London might be able to suggest some other resources. I think the French London community have a radio station, perhaps the italians do too? You could be an english speaking phone in caller there.

Or do the British/USA embassies/communities host cultural events in a city near you?
0 x

shandra
Orange Belt

English - Reading

Postby shandra » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:57 am

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz - L. Frank Baum - November '16
A Little Princess - Frances Hodgson Burnett - November '16
The Secret Garden - Frances Hodgson Burnett - December '16
Little Women - Louisa May Alcott - December '16
Little Lord Fauntleroy - Frances Hodgson Burnett - December '16

ENG Reading: 5 / 50 50 books
Last edited by shandra on Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.
1 x

shandra
Orange Belt

Re: EF Online Test

Postby shandra » Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:26 pm

I've just taken an Online Test by EF (a company which sells languages courses + homestays abroad).
http://www.efset.org

Two parts: Reading + Listening, 25 minutes each.

Reading: 3 texts, each with 8 multiple choice's questions.

Listening: 3 passages (ca. 3 minutes), each with 6 multiple choice's questions.

EF sayI am C1, but I have some (many) doubs :lol:

Scores:
Reading: 73/100
Listening: 54/100
Average grade: 64/100

I can't answer all the questions in the Listening because the time wasn't enough.
3 teksts in 25 minutes, so 8 minutes each.
I had 3 minutes to listen to the whole passage and 5 to read all the questions (and multi answers) and answer them.

I scanned very quickly also the Reading questions.

I need to do many mock exams to be ready to pass such a test :roll:

But, if I want, I can add Ef's C1 badge to my LinkedIn profile.
(To have this privilege I had to give them my mail, I'm waiting for their next ads). :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

shandra
Orange Belt

Re: Il viaggio di Shandra [ENG]

Postby shandra » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:07 pm

I've just finished A Little Princess. Nice reading, less pathetic than I expected.

I'm picking novels from Project Gutenberg because it is free and I could find also the audio version on LibriVox.

I want to read some classic of children's literature that I know only through Japanese animes (the World Masterpiece Theatre serie). I've never read any of them (except my favourite Anne of Green Gables), but choosing the English version I can pretend I'm studying :lol:

I have in my list also Jane Eyre, but it is around 400 pages so it will took me the time of 3/4 shorter novels to finish it. The satisfaction in saying I read 4 is different than saying I read 1 :oops:
1 x

shandra
Orange Belt

Re: Il viaggio di Shandra [ENG]

Postby shandra » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 pm

A stress-timed language is a language where the stressed syllables are said at approximately regular intervals, and unstressed syllables shorten to fit this rhythm.
A syllable-timed language is a language whose syllables take approximately equal amounts of time to pronounce.
Learners whose first language can be described as syllable-timed often have problems recognising and then producing features of English such as contractions, main and secondary stress, and elision.
Now I understand why, listening a sample of me reading, I feel something strange...

It is fascinating to discover every day that I lack the basic of English pronunciation (prosody). :?

I know I studied those things, but I was so focussed on reading than I've never applied them. :x

Don't repeat my mistakes, start listening (actively) from day one and train your mouth to mimic the right rhythm!
2 x

Return to “Language logs”